Horatio/DC #15: 'Back To Basics'

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by mjszud, Aug 31, 2009.

1. redanemone

redanemone Rookie

Lol I've done that for a couple of years now. A site thats exclusively seasons 1-3 I don't know of, but all of my pics i got from the fanwiki site. I usually just type in csimiami.wetpaint.com. There's a huge DC and H section that you can look through.

2. hiphuggerslove

hiphuggerslove Rookie

I just got done watching last stand and i was glad that H did not kill meemo i think H is at peace with it now ....

3. daisymay

daisymay Police Officer

This may be the wrong place to post this, but until we have a 'stupid article' thread, it will do. I expect some of you have read the 'why actors are written out' article? OK, interesting enough topic. BUT, firstly, isn't there a big difference between leaving and being written out? And secondly, and why I chose this thread, isn't it a pathetic reason to mention David's leaving NYPDB all those years ago? Doesn't anyone else think the man's more than paid the price for that one? Yes, I admit I'm perpetuating it myself by replying, but it made me cross. I wouldn't like my 15 year old decisions coming back to haunt me. (Oh, and it's time this thread saw some action!!)

4. Court

Court Prime Suspect

I know, it's pathetic how they have made DC a whipping boy over it, but we know how awesome he is. Everyone else is missing out by being so closed-minded about it.

Anyone know why it is we can't post pictures in these threads?

5. daisymay

daisymay Police Officer

I think the fact that his film career never took off as it should have done has far more to do with him upsetting the wrong people in Hollywood, than any lack of talent on his part. You only have to watch (I mean WATCH, not make assumptions) 'Kiss of Death', or see him completely holding his own opposite Robert de Niro, or Russell Crowe or... I could go on!... to see what a lot of people seemed determined to ignore. Yes, he is awesome, and he did pay a terrible price for that decision.

6. ladyjr8

ladyjr8 Police Officer

yeah I have a auto alert set to my email of ANY and all articles on the web related to DC (google alert?)anyway, I was so dismayed given the antics of Charlie Sheen that it brought up like dozens of articles ALL listing DC comparing his NYPD leave to Charlie..so unfair and wrong

7. Delynn

Delynn CSI Level One

What a reach to compare David to Charlie Sheen! :lol: There is no comparison. Charlie is, for all appearances, in the middle of a meltdown and has been for a long while. He chose to publicize his drug/alcohol/prostitute/woman abusing lifestyle at every opportunity. The stupidity of not having a morality clause in his contract (with his history) cannot be fathomed.

How that compares to David and NYPD Blue I fail to see. And I never have understood the level of hate that keeps people attacking 15 years later.

Unlike all of the people out there who seem to be giving Sheen so much positive support for the nightmare he's sharing with everyone, there was absolutely NO support for David. David instantly became persona non grata and the man everyone loved to hate. It became a lot of people's mission to make sure he failed in everything he attempted.

And what I found strange about that is that no one was hurt by David's decision to leave NYPD Blue, but David. The show continued and was very successful and it was David's career that took the hit.

But in the end what David went through was a true test of character and he came out the winner! He's admitted his mistakes, apologized to those who were hurt, and picked up the pieces. He's a damned good actor who was able to get his career back (after a lot of time and effort) and that just pisses his haters off. And when he came back with CSI Miami, the campaign started anew.

David is stronger and wiser and those who can't seem to move on ... and generally don't even have their facts straight about what really happened. .. and the ones who lose in this situation.

I sincerely and truly hope that someone is able to convince Sheen to get some help ... very, very soon. It's obscene that people are willing to pay money to watch him sit on a stage for 90 minutes and spew his vindictive and sometimes malicious rants. It's not productive in any way.

I've always been a huge fan of his father, Martin and I feel horrible for his family. :(

8. Court

Court Prime Suspect

I would agree with your assessment of Kiss of Death. I love that film. If you truly look at the films he's done with an objective eye, you have to admit the David has this amazing range that really allows him to absorb the characters he plays. But the sad fact of the matter is that the entertainment industry is FULL of self-absorbed hypocrites who fiendishly delight in ripping talented people down. Boo to them. :p

Like you have all pointed out, the media and industry have taken such a sick glee in watching Charlie Sheen destroy his life and they have no conscious about exploiting it for their own gain. There is no and never will be any real consideration given to what this is doing to his children (and the blame for that rests with Charlie as much as the media). The man clearly needs help, and the industry has turned his illness into a glitzy circus. All for the sacred dollar. *sigh* :shifty:

When it comes to David, MOST of the media and the industry REFUSE to admit that he has more than paid the price for the NYDP Blue fiasco, that he has grown from it, risen above it and gone on to do some real quality work, CSI: Miami is just an example, his performances in movies like Session 9 and Cold Around the Heart were really quite extraordinary. I'm glad he didn't give up under the negativity that was thrown at him.

9. daisymay

daisymay Police Officer

This is a bit off-topic - not CSIM - but I remember reading a 'critic' on David's performance in Kiss of Death. Said he was too 'internalized' - you couldn't see what was going on with his character. REALLY?? Where were you looking, Mr Critic? Not at the eyes, obviously.

Still, it's not a nice industry, and anyone who can weather it has guts.

10. bgnogan

bgnogan Hit and Run

Is anyone else tired of way TPTB are destroying the character of Horatio Caine? They've turned him into a rude, cold, and pretty much uncaring person/hypocrite.
    He's my favorite character on Miami but if they keep this up he's gonna be my most hated.:(

11. daisymay

daisymay Police Officer

Remember I haven't seen this - in England, so a bit of a wait.

However, my opinion of H will not change - he's always had that in his character, hasn't he, even if we only saw tiny flashes of it. My own interpretation is that he's simply been hurt too much to keep that side under wraps. Consider his wife's killer - he caught him once, he was forced to catch him a second time, he could have killed him, and didn't. That is still a very strong character. But damaged. Yes. Broken? Probably not.

I wish I thought TPTB even considered this. I think their motives in doing this to him are more base!

What I am certain of, is that David is committed to H's character. Yes, he can only work with what he's given, different writers, different directors. But I'm as sure as I can be that he'll keep H as true to the original as he can.

12. bgnogan

bgnogan Hit and Run

Well, just wait until you see some of the things he has done this season. He has crossed the line big time. I admire David as an actor (always have) so I am guessing the writers/people in charge of the show are responsible for this. Even with all the things that's happened to him, it doesn't justify a lot of his current actions. There's a little part of good H that's still in there, but to me it's starting to fade away.

13. daisymay

daisymay Police Officer

This is a discussion I'd love to continue, being devoted to H and David, but I can't really, without the ammunition of Season 9. You've no idea how frustrating it is to read about things you can't watch. We have at least heard that it will be shown here, probably starting July or thereabouts.

14. daisymay

daisymay Police Officer

This is really a reply to fanilowchick's post in the thread discussing 919. At last - someone who sees just how damaged H is. It started to show a long time ago, and may be coming to a head in Season 9. I admit I'm addicted, but he's so much more interesting and so much deeper than most of the characters. (I don't want to tread on toes - I realise everyone has favourites.) But yes, I agree, he's fragile and hurt, and something's got to give. The violence in Season 9 is surely a result of this. It's not H turning bad. It's H so hurt that he's lashing out. I think it had to happen. Whether someone will pick up the pieces, or whether it will get him killed remains to be seen. I wish I was more confident that TPTB understood what they've got there. Maybe they do. Maybe there's a long-term plan. I'm totally sure David understands what's happening to H. He'll always do the character justice. Let's just hope he's given the material to do it properly.

15. fanilowchick

fanilowchick Police Officer

I don't think it will get him killed. I doubt he'll go that far. He's too good a man, with strong morals and a sense of honor and duty to the badge he carries. I agree that his new temper thing isn't so much about anger as it is pain. He's anguished, lonely, and suffering, and this is the only way he knows how to express these feelings. You and I both know H has never been good at 'feelings'. A lot of people misunderstand this and think he's turning into a dirty cop or that he's losing self-discipline and taking the law into his own hands; I disagree. He's really hurting now and he's about to break. I really hope this relationship with Renee will turn into something serious -- love :) -- and will help him let go of all this pain and give him some hope for a better future. If he ends up alone and dies in the line of duty, I'll understand why the writers made it happen, but it will break my heart.

P.S. There are more of us who see H the way you do, believe me. I suggest you head over to the CBS community message board and find us on the threads "Completely Crazy For Horatio Caine' and "Lt. Horatio Caine - Leader, Mentor, Hero of CSI Miami".