**Season Nine Spoiler Lab** - Take Two

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by FieldMouse, Nov 15, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nsynckal

nsynckal Hit and Run

Although I am a huge EC fan, I have to agree with what people are saying. I love Eric and Calleigh but seeing more of Ryan, Nat and even Frank this season has been great!

I totally agree that Natalia can def hold her own and shines when she's given the opportunity. And I love Ryan! He's funny and so charming too! However, as much as I love them, I miss Eric and Calleigh! But I agree that there should be equal time for all of the characters. They do need to focus more on a team dynamic.

That being said, I am so excited that Emily is back and I hope we get some great Calleigh, and EC, scenes now that she is. She's been just sitting this whole season so I think that Calleigh fans deserve to see more of her. And EC fans deserve some freakin answers. No matter what they are. I love EC and def want them to be together but at this point I'll take anything involving them. We deserve some answers, even if it's not the ones we want.

2. Gooniegirl3333

Gooniegirl3333 Lab Technician

You know what? I think it's time for Natalia and Calleigh to chase someone, :)

3. miamirocks

miamirocks Lab Technician

LOL Gooniegirl! I would LOVE to see that - girl power! ;) I know everyone's talkin' about the E/C stuff, but personally I'd like to see Calleigh interacting w/EVERYONE more ... is that too much to ask? How about a cute scene w/Frank - when was the last time she spoke to Frank? And I love the chemistry between Nat & Cal - definitely need more of that.

Not that I'm begrudging E/C fans of their answers, but why is it that the focus of Cal comin' back has to be about E/C? Maybe it can be her finally standing up for the team and the lab and showing some concern for her boss, who she was supposedly close to, and telling him to cut the police brutality.

4. silentdisco

silentdisco Police Officer

It's no secret that I'm a pretty big fan of the E/C relationship (ahem, avatar), but I agree with you- I'd love to see more Calleigh/Frank interaction and Calleigh/Natalia interaction. For me, one of the downfalls of Emily being pregnant and having less of a role in episodes (not that Emily being pregnant was bad! I just missed having more Calleigh) was that she was interacting less with everyone, not just Eric.

I'd also love to see Calleigh calling Horatio out on his crap- she's his second in command! If nobody else is going to take it upon themselves to set him straight, then she should.

I miss Calleigh in an authority role. Obviously, Natalia and Ryan have more experience and don't need quite as much guidance and reassurance from her as they did in earlier seasons, but I'd still like to see the friendship between Calleigh and them shine through. She could still be their friend and mentor when they need it. Walter's pretty new, so maybe she could provide some more guidance for him when he needs it.

Now obviously, I'm one of those who is hoping that with Emily's return comes a reunion of Calleigh and Eric's relationship, but that's not all I'm hoping for. ;)

5. greatfan

greatfan Captain

I would like to see that myself.
    Reading the last few post,it looks like we can agree on some things .
    Improved team dynamics, with balance for everyone.:)

6. jean10brook

jean10brook Hit and Run

Wow, didn't know I was going to open up a can of worms. I guess one can't just state their opinion without being called "rediculous". I guess I just view things differently. Horatio, Eric and Calleigh have been on the show since the first day and are the lead characters and I expect all three of them to get more screen time than anyone else. Yes, Nat, Ryan and Frank have been on for quite awhile, but not as long as H, E & C, and their characters have never been written from the onset to be the lead role, so I do not expect them to get equal time, nor would I, even if they were my favorite characters. I absolutely adore Frank, but I don't complain about his screentime being unequal to the others. Like I said, I guess I view it on seniority and they way the character was written and some of you base it on who your favorite character is and wanting everyone to get equal time. Thats ok that we like different things. If everyone liked the same thing, it would be pretty boring.

Yes, I am a huge E/C fan, but in my comments, I was not referring to E/C as in Eric and Calleigh having romantic scenes together. I was just referring to Eric and Calleigh working together on cases like they always have. I miss that and it has been pretty few and far between this season. Yes, Eric is seen quite a bit, so no, I don't think he needs more time and was not trying to say that. I just am looking forward to Calleigh getting her lead role back where she will be seen much more, not only working just with Eric, but H, Ryan, Nat and Frank.

I totally understand that those who like Nat and Ryan better feel they have not gotten equal time, which they have not, there is no arguement there. And I totally get why you would want to learn more about their backgrounds, etc. Had Ryan and Nat been on the show from the very beginning with H and then Eric and Calleigh joined later, then I would expect Nat and Ryan to be in the lead roll with H and Eric and Calleigh would be part of the team, but not the lead characters and they would have less screentime than H, Nat and Ryan.

As for the NCIS comments, all the characters on the show were there from the beginning, with the exception of Ziva, who came shortly after the shows start. So, Gibbs, Abby, Tony, McGee and Ducky all have equal seniority so it is natural that they have equal time on the show. As for Ziva, she replaced the lead CSI, Kate. Personally, Ziva is my second favorite, behind Abby and although I love her amount of screentime, because she came later, she, in my eyes, should not get equal time, but that's the writers decision, not mine. To me, Ryan deserves more time than Nat because he has been there longer than her and he took a lead CSI's place - Speed's - like Ziva took Kate's. I am glad to see that they have given Ryan more time and I doubt anyone would argue that. I am one of the only people who did not care for Speed, but have never complained to anyone about the amount of screentime he had. Whether I liked him or not, he was there from day one in a lead CSI position and deserved equal time with H, Eric and Calleigh.

Again, I don't expect anyone to agree with me and was only sharing my thoughts as a viewer. I certainly don't think I am being rediculous.

7. greatfan

greatfan Captain

They can and should be able to be the lead or focus in an episode, as has been shown.Being the lead does not necessarily translate into more screen time on a regular basis week after week with other characters being ignored.Actually,Calleigh and Eric weren't written as leads to start with either.
    I base my preference on there should be more balance to the time as well as the stories for the characters.There is much more interest for more viewers instead of seeing the same charcters over and over and over again.
    Ryan(Jonathan) has 50 less episodes than Emily and David,more than enough to get more screentime than he has gotten,the senority isn't that huge when you are talking about over 200 episodes .If we are basing screentime on how long one has been on the show,he really should have more. I actually think the time should be more balance because that is what worked best in the earlier seasons. The show worked much better as an ensemble cast. The characters kind of rotated being the focus of the episode.The focus was more on the team as a whole and it still should be, that is why the time seemed equal with Speed,Calleigh and Eric,because it was more balanced.For me,it's not that there's a little less screentime,it's the huge lopsided amount to the screentime, and no amount of seniority justifies that.Equal screentime does not equal the same amount of minutes per character,per episode,but spread out over several episodes,there can be more balance.Fans can accept a little less screentime,but what we have seen and gotten in some seaons was just beyond acceptance or even fair.

What I thought was ridiculous was the the statement, "if there was time left over" in the episode,then Ryan and Nat could have more time. They just need to be written in the story like everyone else,not be given parts in the story if there is time.There needs to be a balance of time and stories for every character.
    Since this is the spoiler thread,I will try to move on.

Last edited: Jan 28, 2011
  8. ECRocks

ECRocks Witness

It think they all deserve some good screentime. I am self a huge Calleigh/Eric fan but I think that if it is only arround them I will get quiet bored. The one that needs more screentime and a storyline is Frank. Flack & Brass from LV & NY have some big story line. he stuck in season 3 somewhere with his divorce. And they absolutly need to give al the characters some screentime and a own storyline. I like them all. If they were back like they were in season 1 were H. atleast got hurt saving a victim or arresting a suspect. I think he does it now with a ease that is not possible. they just need to highlight all the characters. With a different storyline. I hope since Emily is back they will get more team scenes. And with that kidnapping. Who gets kidnapped I don't care if it is a team case when they search for him/her it will be okay. I hope it's Frank (am I to cruel =O) I hope we get some good episodes in the future. I think ep 15 is good. I hope it is xD.

9. slower

slower Lab Technician

I think you are exactly right! It shouldn't just be about the team that was there from day one. They have all had their issues and gone through some rough times. I really think it is time for team unity and forgiveness. They all need their time to shine.

10. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

I would love to see that! I'd love for the two of them to be sort of like Cagney and Lacey LOL!

That's right. Originally, Megan (Kim Delaney) was the lead female character. But I didn't care for that character much at all and she didn't fit in with the rest of the cast even though Kim is a good actress.

But I agree about a balance with all characters who appear in the opening credits (with the theme song). They've been doing a really good job with that this season. I hope that continues.

11. nsynckal

nsynckal Hit and Run

YES! That would be so awesome! :)

12. lusiana88

lusiana88 CSI Level One

Our favorite girls would put up a great chase! That would be so great..I miss bad a** Calleigh running around and handling guns! Can't wait to see her fully back!!!

13. daisymay

daisymay Police Officer

As long as they don't cut out THAT kick!

14. ladyjr8

ladyjr8 Police Officer

have to wonder why they need to reshoot? yeah they better not get rid of certain scenes-even if fans are already taking up in arms about it or not..a little controversary is always good ratings game..and Horatio is already going around kicking *ss so why would handling his wife's murderer be any different..

15. MelxxWhoLuvsYa

MelxxWhoLuvsYa Rookie

As a Ryan and Natalia fan, I am one of those people who said "they aren't getting enough screen time/ story lines" last season....

This season however, I think some balance and change has been brought to the show and it's great! Ryan and Natalia are getting good storylines and scenes, the team feels like a team! and there's been some good cases too.

Obviously every season has a downer (for me, this season, it would be Horatio) but not so much this season.

I disagree. To give H, Calleigh and Eric all the time and plots, simply cause they were there the longest sounds like a bad idea, ratings-wise. TPTB can only come up with so many storylines (eg. being shot, kidnapped, chasing suspects)

If H was always the hero, and Calleigh was always the female hero or damsel-in-distress or Eric was always the second male, or shot, or chaser, then the show would repeat itself into a grave.

To me, Ryan and Natalia were completely ignored all season 6 and most of season 7 plot-wise. Neither had a centric-episode till 7x20 for Ryan. Through that time was E/C heaven for their fans, constant lil moments and action for EC and H.

Season 8 was all about mixing the three newbies in, which was well-done. Now season 9 has given Ryan and Nat a well deserved time to shine and I must say they are!

That's just my two-cents on the subject.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.