"A Kiss Before Frying" Discussion *SPOILERS*

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Smokey, Jan 14, 2011.

1. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

Speaking as someone who watches the episodes over and over, I hate that! :scream: Drives me insane. Especially in "Grave Danger". :rolleyes:

2. SpasmThatCat

SpasmThatCat Police Officer

You're preaching to the converted, girl, I know exactly what you mean! :lol:

Loved Nicky in last night's ep, though. He totally stole the show!

3. Gremine

Gremine Rookie

:guffaw:I also laughed when Greg smelled her eeeiii... her thing (i don't remember what was that? ) after the shooting in the restaurant and said ''peaches!'' :guffaw:He said peaches ,right? Whatever...
    The music, the directing... So i truly believe the episode was a kind of a parody for old romantic movies in a CSI style. I hope! The parody i know is about also some comedy , at least. In my humble opinion of course :pGreg's involved to old Vegas and i think that was exactly something in Greg style. I liked that kind of storylines when they didn't lenghten like a gum. This romantic thing was a first for Greg and it was temporary. He made mistakes. It gave Greg more deepness. He is a lot more a 3D character now.Whatever that was supposed to mean... Good to see finally some episode Greg didn't get hurt physically or didn't stuck in the lab or something something and something... Ahem ahemmm... what was the subject?

Personaly i enjoyed a lot. The opening was awesome. I wasn't expecting to see the victim would be alive and i was like ''fffff.....k'' then giggled as a chicken. Super Dave always makes me laugh. Nick and Hodges were funny too. Glad to see the Nick-Greg friendship. I don't know Dita but Eric's acting was good i think. Not sure about the final lines with Dita but, like i said i believe the episode is a parody.

The final scene with Cath was so sweet. Btw, i think Cath should keep that nice hair style. That's all for now.

4. jafox

jafox CSI Level Two

I enjoyed this episode. Eric made it work, IMO. I could see his internal conflict throughout. He was obviously smitten with 'Ellen', similar to Nick and the hooker; and, he really wanted to give her the benefit of a doubt. But, in the end, he knew.
    I thought the end scene with Catherine was great. All the CSI's have had their transgressions. And now Greg. I thought it was a great lesson for him, like Kristie (?) was for Nick, Warrick's acquaintances (esp his druggie lounge singer), and pretty much all of Catherine's relationships (except Vartann) were for her. Our Greg has grown up. :)
    I, too, thought it was meant to be somewhat of a parody, and campy. Considering some of the guest stars we have had on CSI, *cough* Justin Beiber, Rascal Flatts *cough*, I thiink Dita did a great job. My only complaint with the episode is that it was fairly pedictable. I think I would have liked the storyline better if 'Ellen' was not the villian.

My grade: 8.5/10.

ETA: Pretty much any episode without Sara seems 'off' to me, so I tend to grade them by a different standard. And, in this episode, Greg was just too cute. :hugegrin:

Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  5. DragonFriend95

DragonFriend95 Lab Technician

I really enjoyed the episode. It's great to see Eric/Greg on the forefront after so many years, even if I wasn't a fan of his character. It was great to see the continuity with his Old Vegas interests...and most of all I enjoyed the scene at the end with him and Cath.

It did seem a bit...off compared to other episodes, but I like it when CSI tries to mix different genres. I'm not sure if this instance was particularly successful, but it was different.

I think that Dita did a good job, but then again I'm horrible at judging an actor's ability :p Still I think she played her characters well, and even if the case was completely predictable it was still enjoyable to watch it play out.

Have to say one of my favourite scenes was Henry walking in on Greg and Ellen and wondering if she had a sister. He's such a dear :adore::lol:

Really, at the end, I was only left with one burning question. Apart from that, 8/10 :thumbsup:

6. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

This is the burning question:

How was Ellen the Granddaughter of the women murder by Bugsy's thugs (sorry, can't remember the name)?

Ellen said my 'grandparents'. Seems her grandmother was young, so when did she and that guy have time to have a kid? :wtf: Seems Bugsy would have figured something was up way earlier.

Just a thought. :)

7. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

I was so sure that once Greg left the room it would be revealed that Henry knew "Ellen" from her dancing job. :lol:

8. PraetorCorvinus

PraetorCorvinus Moderator Moderator

I thought that too! When he first looked at her, I thought he was thinking "HEY! That's what she looks like with clothes on!" instead of what we got with "HEY! That's what a woman looks like!" :lol:

9. CazzBlade

CazzBlade Lab Technician

I loved the beginning of the episode, and while I was still enjoying it towards the end it had morphed into something not-CSI. Like others have said, it felt off. I would have liked it more if they had let the case drive the episode, still have the personal side for Greg but they find out about her by solving the case, not solving the case because of her and Greg's relationship.

I thought DVT did a good job, she was up and down for me, at times I thought she was great but there were moments that felt forced.

Overall, I'm happy with the episode. Whenever there is excitement about an episode I expect to get disappointed, I wasn't with this, yeah it wasn't amazing, but it was enjoyable and had some great scenes.

10. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

They mentioned at some point that Agnes and the Russian guy had a kid together and that's why they escaped and came to America, for a chance to have a better/safer life for themselves and their daughter. I'm going to guess that during their affair, she got pregnant and told him and he got her out of there before the kid was born to better protect them, but at some point the thugs found them. They never really said what happened to their child when they were killed though.

The case itself was kind of ho hum. Loved all the Greg moments of course... and I'm gonna savor them because he only gets a centric episode every three or so seasons LOL.

When Dave, Ray and Greg jumped back when the guy was alive, that was funny. Greg crawling backwards haha.

Everyone kept calling Hodges "Lodges" throughout the ep, that was funny hehehe.

I loved Nick giving Greg the advice of going to get Ellen's number.

Greg should smile more often, he's got a nice one. :)

I really loved Nick teasing Greg that he was gonna ask Ellen out if Greg didn't step on it LOL.

When Ellen said "oopsy" that made me chuckle.

What the heck was that weird camera shot through his martini glass? That was just strange lol. But I guess it was supposed to symbolize her later dancing in a giant martini glass LOL.

Nick and Greg stepping back when Doc got ready to cut the second DB lol. I would have done the same thing.

Henry asking if Ellen has a sister was cute.

Greg looked like he was getting suspicious of Ellen when he caught her looking through his files.

Reddenbacher LOL.

Loved Nick going in protective big brother mode when Greg tells him about Ellen being a dancer.

Greg going to meet Ellen alone... that bugged me. He was thinking with his heart and not his brain at that point. I kind of wish Nick had followed him along with Brass cause Nick had a bad vibe from the moment he found out about Ellen's lies. Good thing Greg had good reflexes.

I knew when he called the school that it would be a different woman.

"I've loved you since Tuesday" haha kind of a cheesy line.

Loved the Cath/Greg talk and her saying she wasn't going to be hypocritical because she's made mistakes when it comes to affairs of the heart. I liked that she told him that she was still peeved at him and what he did wrong though. Loved when she said that next time he wants to date a girl, let her check her out first cause she's got an eye for the rotten ones.

Greg asking Cath "Why do all the rotten ones smell so good?" :lol:

Well, the ending wasn't as predictable as I thought it would be. I thought Ellen would be innocent and was just gonna end up being blackmailed into finding out how much the cops knew about the case... but turned out she was kind of the mastermind behind it all.

I loved Greg's confrontation with her though. How he said she used him and she tried to sweep that away by saying it was all her manager's idea and Greg wasn't having any of that.

I thought DVT did a decent job acting wise though.

I give the ep a B-. Could have used a little more Brass though.

11. Sinclair

Sinclair Rookie

Agree with a lot of what's been said here. There were certainly points in the episode that felt 'off' and i admit to skipping some of the cheesier scenes. I did like some of the noir feel to it but if your going to do that i think it works best when you go all out (like when x-files went black and white and i thought my tv was broken).

As with any DLA episode there were some funny character moments:

Lodges :lol: (helped me overlook the fact that the public were gaining access to restricted and confidential information)

Ray is certainly growing on me, they seem to be getting a better balance in the show, enjoyed his scenes.

Henry and Super Dave were great as always, laughed at the 'sorry i'm late' he needs to have 'Super Dave' in place of 'Coroner' on his jacket.

Loved Catherine this ep, for so many reasons, the hair being one of them :lol: nice interaction with Greg and showed how she's grown into the supervisor role.

We get a Vartann and Sam mention! at least vartann's calling her, even if it is work related.

Overall i thought the storyline was a neat idea but could of been executed better. Really nice to see a Gregcentric episode that clearly gave Eric something to sink his teeth into and i thought DVT did a good job (she certainly suits Noir).

EDT: Just noticed i used the phrase 'executed better' no pun intended i swear!

Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  12. Dizzney

Dizzney Moderately Insane Moderator

This was not a DLA episode. It was written by Evan Dunsky who also wrote one of my faves "Appendictement".

13. Sinclair

Sinclair Rookie

Woops sorry, got confused as he still has his producer hat on. Appendictement would explain the greg/nick banter though.

14. PraetorCorvinus

PraetorCorvinus Moderator Moderator

So I've been perusing the interweb and found a few reviews for this episode on sites like TVFanatic and DaemonTV. Overall it seems that the word from 'critics' is that it was a pretty good episode. And one of them called the "loved you since Tuesday" line one of the greatest in CSI history. I will call it a... memorable line. :lol:

15. DJRideout

DJRideout Following the trace Moderator

I'm sorry, but I busted into laughter at the "I loved you since Tuesday" comment. And I agree with you PC, I too will call it a....memorable line, and leave it at that. I personally wouldn't consider it one of the greatest in CSI history.

Eric did an incredible job with his part...I just have to throw that out there. *eyes DIZZ*

And somebody mentioned how odd it was that it was this episode that made everyone suddenly call superdave on his "Sorry I'm late" comment. That's kinda funny. I watched this episode with my cousin and while she doesn't watch the show all to often, she even passed the comment "He's always late" ...which I thought was funny.

The only personal annoyance I had with Nick in this episode was his continuously called the vehicle a "duely." It's a tandem! :lol: It bugged me every time.

And I also expected Henry to comment to Greg on seeing this lady in a club or something...not the "she's cute"