"A Kiss Before Frying" Discussion *SPOILERS*

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Smokey, Jan 14, 2011.

1. PraetorCorvinus

PraetorCorvinus Moderator Moderator

I kinda got the ball rolling with that one, but I did mean it as a joke (mainly to mess with Smokey :p). On the flip-side, I don't think calling Greg immature was entirely called for. As you said, love makes you blind. And Greg probably hasn't had a girl in awhile. It fits the noir angle, but not so much with the show.

2. ClarkF1

ClarkF1 Hit and Run

Fell asleep....mind numbingly slow...not the best.

3. DJRideout

DJRideout Following the trace Moderator

Thought the episode was okay, but personally, while a lot thought DVT did a great job, I didn't think it was all that great. Mind you it wasn't horrible, but nothing stood out to me for her to be a memorable guest star.

I found the storyline interesting, but like others....something seemed a little off, and I too can't quite put my finger on it. But enjoyed a little of the old Vegas.

I was pleasantly surprised to see a little more "Lodges" :lol: in the episode. I certainly didn't expect much screen time for the character, but won't complain. :p

Overall, it was decently done. Just wasn't overly impressed with DVT....but that is me.

Will probably pop back later to comment on some more.

4. ncismom

ncismom Hit and Run

I thought the episode was pretty good; Eric did a really nice job portraying the tragic romantic hero in the story. I wasn't all that impressed with her, but Eric's performance made up for it.

Don't worry, Smokey; we all know that it wasn't Nick's fault...he's too dang sexy for anything to be his fault!:drool:

5. K-Bug

K-Bug Lab Technician

Ray actually made me laugh this episode. "Go ahead and carry on, Mr. Lodges." LMFAO!

Not bad. Not the best, but not the worst. Eric did a great job with what he was given, and Dita Von Teese wasn't absolutely horrible. I think that she did a decent job with what she was given.

"For what it's worth, I've loved you since Tuesday." I think that is the absolute cheesiest, most hilarious line I've ever heard.

Loved the final scene with Catherine and Greg. I love that she asserted her authority and showed who is boss, but then turned it around to appear as a loving, caring mom. That was cute and well played by Marg and Eric.

6. murph116

murph116 Dead on Arrival

OMG I absolutely love you people! I thought of the same thing last night, and I was actually going to log on and ask if anyone else had noticed how often he says this. But you've all beat me to it, and honestly, I'm not too surprised :lol:

I wonder what it was about last night's scene that caused everyone to pick up on Dave's little tendency at the same time.... ???

7. hiphugger17

hiphugger17 Coroner

This one didn't really hold my interest. It was slow and like a lot of you have mentioned, something felt off. The chemistry between Eric and Dita felt off and I found myself seeing the actors and not the characters. There were some reactions and lines that made me cringe especially in the end with "I've loved you since Tusday" eek. The music didn't help either.

Aside from that there were some good moments. I really liked how Nick was there for Greg. He was his buddy and really tried to help him out both to get the girl and to be careful when things weren't looking so good. I also liked what Cath said to Greg in the end about not being the best person to throw stones. She did let him know he screwed up but she gave him a chance because they all do at some point. Though I do get the feeling she won't be so lenient if there's a another screw up (and her hair did look awesome last night :)). Lodges of course was so fun :lol:.

8. Sookie

Sookie CSI Level One

This episode didn't hold my attention at all, it was kind of dull.
    I lliked Hodges and Brass - not enough Brass though. And I liked that Nick was worried about Greg since he was in a similar situation with Kristie.

9. PraetorCorvinus

More from me about the episode. (Expect many future posts from me. This might be the only Gregisode so I'm going to get my money's worth, dammit!)

I've been thinking a lot about what felt off about this episode. I still maintain that it was a mixing of genre's that wasn't executed well. As a strict noir, along the same vein as The Maltese Falcon and Casablanca, I loved it. Von Teese's character intrigues me.

Did we ever learn her real name? Along with that, who was she really? She reminds me in some way to a Companion from Firefly. She knows how to read people and how to use her looks and appeal to win in any situation. She obviously came to the lab to scope things out, the stolen identity of Ellen as a fail safe. She noticed Greg notice her and saw an in. The fact that she realized that it was the "sweet, teacher" persona that initially attracted him (apart from her looks), shows that she was very good at reading people. And she kept it up. Even until the very end she played the part, not once breaking character. It's reasonable to assume she had another personality, one capable to ensnare Hammerbacher. If I'm reading her right, then she was an expert con-artist. And a dangerous one, as we can probably safely assume that the trap at the diner was her doing. A dark and deadly damsel. I love her. :lol:

And going with the noir theme, Greg's actions were common for that genre. Poor guy falls head over heels and risks his job and his life. Immature? I don't believe so. A fool? Who isn't when smitten.

But that is where I think the 'offness' comes from. CSI, as a police/forensic procedural, isn't something that can lend itself easily to the hard fiction of noir. Personally, I feel Eric and Dita would have done an excellent job in a true film noir.

Oh, and yes. Catherine was great looking last night. That last scene of her with her long hair in that trench coat... :luvlove:

10. SpasmThatCat

SpasmThatCat Police Officer

I'm probably going to repeat what's already been said here, but here goes:

It was okay I guess, but it didn't grab me at all. I didn't think Dita was very good in it, seemed like she only had two expressions and no spark in her voice, which made her character two-dimensional and not all that believable.

And whoever wrote that line of Greg's that went something like 'Is there no privacy around here?' needs shooting. I mean, seriously, he's having a picnic in his office with her and taking personal calls, and then complains there's no privacy?! :lol:

But I think the one person that really stood out in this was Nick. He was just brilliant. Loved all the interactions he had with Greg, and I think he came out the episode's MVP, he was superb. And David's line at the beginning 'Call me if his condition worsens' was inspired! The scene with Catherine and Greg at the end was great too, shows how much she cares.

All in all though, it was okay but I agree that something felt off. 'Man Up' was so much better.

11. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

:lol: I think so too. In fact, that whole little drama scene at the end at the bus station....bleah. Felt way too contrived and cheesy. Did not like it.

However, I *was* relieved that Cath and the cops were apparently there the whole time. I was sitting there thinking, "Oh my gosh he is NOT going to just let her get on that bus and get away, is he??!" :lol:

Oh gee...like THAT ever happens. :shifty: :rolleyes: :lol:

12. PraetorCorvinus

:guffaw:

I'll grant that one. That was pretty stupid. The picnic wasn't his idea, but still, the line was a :wtf: moment.

I did laugh at the cheesiness of the end scene. Dita's "I loved you since Tuesday" was funny. I think it was supposed to be. At least I hope so... :lol:

13. Dizzney

Dizzney Moderately Insane Moderator

Can I just say I love you for the Firefly comparision?! :lol: But you are kind of right on what you said above.
    Yeah I thought it was a bit odd when he was talking about privacy and yet she was right there in the office with him, eating lunch/dinner whatever meal it was.

That last line was cheesy by her but it was also mean in a way. But overall I did sort of snicker at it. :lol:

14. Raynn

Raynn Coroner

I thought it was supposed to be funny too. At the end, she seemed to realize that he wasn't buying it, and just seemed to be throwing out anything and everything.

About the privacy line - "doesn't anything remain private around here?" (if I'm thinking of the right line). I thought he meant it about the fact that everyone knew he'd dated (spent the night with?) her, not about being interrupted. I did like Hodges though, "don't let us interrupt your personal life."

Greg grabbing the glass in the club reminded me of Nick in High and Low. I love when they're "sneaky" about getting evidence like that. :)

I liked the episode a lot better when I capped it. No sound, and fast forward the scenes I didn't like. I laughed a lot at Nick and Greg's expressions in the lab tour scene (when Nick says that Greg is lead on the case, then when Nick's telling Greg to go after her).

15. SpasmThatCat

SpasmThatCat Police Officer

The editing/continuity in that last scene was just awful. From one angle Ellen's hands were on Greg's lapels and from the other they were around his neck or on his shoulders. And where she says "I'll do anything you say, anything..." her lips keep moving. It almost looks as if she calls him Eric and they blanked it out?

Last edited: Jan 21, 2011