Who is your least favorite character?

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by peakchua, Jan 15, 2011.

1. wildcat

wildcat Witness

Re: Who is your most unfavorite character?

The worst one by far is Jo.
    She does not fit neither with the others nor with the show. Her character is just an egoistic know-it-all irksome show-off. Don't know whether it's her acting or it's been written like that.

The second one is Hawkes - for the same reasons everyone's mentioning.

I think the show would have been better off without both of them.

2. ekwok888

ekwok888 Civilian

I totally agree! If TPTB wants to improve the ratings, they must kick Lindsay out! She is annoying and unpleasant, and brings nothing to the show. I cannot understand the rationale of keeping such an unpopular character on the show.

3. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

i totally agree. he was good in the morgue, then he just went all preachy moral high ground and it's got progressively worse as the seasons have gone on and now every time he opens his mouth you want to switch off to avoid getting a lecture. people who say mac is sanctimonious may have a point but compared to hawkes he's positively laid back.

i'm not saying you're wrong on this because everyone should be entitled to their opinion, however...

how do you know she has no game? has there really been an opportunity for her to show she has? hell, what IS game for that matter? how do you define what it is and who has it? and what prevents her from qualifying?

as for fighting, again this season so far has presented jo with approximately zero fight scenes - this doesn't show she can't fight, just means they haven't asked her to. so how can you say she can't fight? and for that matter, as a csi, why should she be able to fight? sure being able to defend yourself in a job like that is to be expected and given that she was in the fbi and then hired by the nypd i would imagine she knows perfectly well how to handle herself, but ability to fight is pretty irrelevant in the scheme of what makes a good character.

as for the colourful past - again, how do you know? so far very little of her past has been hinted at - her kids, her ex, her leaving the fbi under suspicious circumstances after playing whistleblower - but that doesn't mean it's not there. for that matter, stella's past wasn't that colourful - the orphan thing was trotted out a few times but that's no different to jo's fbi thing, and most of stella's "past" was in fact created by the show (the fire, the abusive boyfriend killing, etc etc) so wasn't past at all but present. mac doesn't have a colourful past either - he was in the marines and his wife died on 9/11, that's hardly hold the front page tabloid scandal.

basically what i'm saying is you haven't given reasons for what you're claiming and without those i don't think your claims stand up, also i don't think those claims have any real relevance on what makes a good characters as they're either (a) absent from the plot or (b) prior to the plot.

you mean those bottom low ratings that make it number one in its time slot pretty consistently this season? hmmm.

4. BauerAlmeida

BauerAlmeida Rookie

I like all the characters on this show, each has had their own moment to shine and their own uses, so for me, this thread is just too much negativity. Don't see why I have to hate a character, so far none of the characters have done anything evil or horrible, so I like them all.

5. Maya316

Maya316 Lab Technician

^ Yeah, I remember feeling that way...

Mac, Danny, Hawkes, there said it. All = characters I'm pretty much done with thanks, on account of being way too frustrated way too long. (well, Hawkes to a much lesser extent than the other two but still). Pretty pissed off that Flack was thisclose to joining the heap till I finally saw "To What End". S7's better than S6, no doubt, but that's not saying much and it has miles to go, imo.

6. tobinhr

tobinhr Hit and Run

Lindsey and Stella. Reasons have been stated in other posts. I'm sort of surprising myself by thinking about Hawkes too.....He IS rather boring...

Tobin

7. Elwood21

Elwood21 Pathologist

I'd prefer taking perhaps the inverse approach for a thread, ie. who is your favorite character, but, I'll answer the question :p.

I actually think a show and characters are more interesting when you don't necessarily like or agree with them all of the time. Every character on the show I've liked and disliked on various occasions. Usually it's still somehow in service of/some facet of presenting whatever an ep is about. Most would still be interesting to chat and/or butt heads with on some point or other over a drink or three.

That said. My response on a general level would hafta be Montana Lindsay Monroe Messer. I don't hate her. But I have been, over the years & over and above the rest, the most consistently irked by how she's written, used, and performed. That seemed to be heightened after DL became such a prominent factor in her material as well. I keep hoping for better. But that's just IMO. Some like her quite fine as she is. But for me, she's not one I'd be happy to have a drink with after work, let's say.

I agree.

8. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

yep, i agree, it makes it more interesting for sure.

i don't mind it as long as it's tempered with, like you suggest, a thread doing the inverse, and also i think as long as you don't get too many posts that dislike *everyone* (in which case, what's the point?) - i don't mind it as a bit of silly fun (and let's face it this is a net forum so unless we're all plotting some global uprising it's likely that a bit of fun is the general aim), but i guess it could get too negative.

9. aroseforemily

aroseforemily Victim

Agreed - I thought that she was way too confident - she has only just got her new job there! She was condescending to Adam (in my opinion), and she was a tad overpowering rather than entertaining. :confused:

People are saying that they don't like Lindsay, but I think it's just a matter of the writers trying to find something for her to do, which isn't good.
    :rolleyes:

10. makkem

makkem Hit and Run

Don't have an unfavourite character, but I would like shake by the throat whoever it was who deceided to kill off Aiden, Angel and let Stella go.

11. pdegan2814

pdegan2814 Dead on Arrival

Well, I'm not sure whose decision it was for Aiden to leave, but the producers pulled the plug on Angell, and Melina herself decided not to bring Stella back this year. :)

12. peakchua

peakchua Victim

aiden's actor vanessa ferlito missed her family in th REAL NEW YORK (they film in la) so she quit.

angells actor emmanuele vaungier or something like that got fired due to budget cuts due to main casts rising pay

stella quit because she missed her family and they gave a crappy contract deal

13. peakchua

peakchua Victim

i think the most potential would be in hill harper, just the writers should make him do somehting else. anna belknap should just go back to acting school, she just tests stuff and acts like a mom, jo is not fit for assistant supervisor

14. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

Just as a reminder peakchua that you have up to 24 hours to edit a post. This eliminates double posting. :)

My least favorite character since the end of season two has been Lindsay. There's nothing truly interesting about her (even when we did get to see a bit of her ~traumatic past~), and the fact that the actress who plays her has no idea how to act truly makes her less appealing than she already was.

Around late season 5/early season 6 is when my interest in Hawkes and Stella started to die down. At this point I wouldn't mind if Hawkes decided to leave.

15. Dr Jekyll

Dr Jekyll Civilian

Stella, was my favourite charactor. I dunno why but she irritated me so much. Now Hawkes is my least favourite.