CSI:NY in danger of cancellation.....

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by recordplayer69, Oct 21, 2010.

1. recordplayer69

recordplayer69 Civilian

Just finished reading an article on Yahoo TV regarding shows that could be cancelled, and CSI:NY was #4 on the list! And it's all because they moved the show to Friday nights as a lead-in for Blue Bloods! I sincerely hope that don't cancel New York.....:confused:

2. Country233

Country233 Police Officer

I am very concerned about this as well. It has also been in articles on the Neisen site.

Another troubling thing is that they don't run promos for NY nearly as much as in previous seasons. Today I was watching The bold and the Beautiful earlier and usually I can count on at least one NY promo, but they seriously advertised everything but NY. It really bothers me that the show might be gone soon.

Lastly, in the Sela/Gray article posted yesterday something about way Sinise answered that question about working on tv made me think he knows more than what he's saying.

I try to be optimistic but CBS is bad to cancel good shows. I am still mad about Cold Case. Ugh...

Last edited: Oct 21, 2010
  3. Geeno

Geeno Pathologist

Don't lose hope. The show has something good for us - guest stars, catchy stories that might bring in more viewers. I just hope CBS will give NY more time to grow. They move the show to Friday so they shouldn't expect it to perform as good as it was on Wednesday nights. Plus the show is still a atrong money maker - syndication in and out of the US, DVD sales, downloads etc. I doubt CBS would want to lose all that.

4. Country233

I just wish they'd put it back on Wed. but I know they won't.

I get on Twitter and see people upset at the notion. I wish the execs would take notice. Sure people are busy on friday but they do watch the show on dvr. And syndication money is big I would imagine.

How long do you think it'll be before we'll know something? Honestly I haven't cared so much about a possible cancellation before. However, I am bumming out at the prospect of Community being axed :(

5. Geeno

Geeno Pathologist

Yeah I wish too but right now it's impossible. The Defenders might be canceled (by the way, I'm happy it's struggling) early but there are still other two new shows on CBS that are candidates to replace it. The only chance NY might be back to Wednesday is that when Blue Bloods is canceled and/or those two new shows too.

Usually for veteran shows like NY, the renew/cancel announcement comes in around May except when the ratings are really bad that will force CBS to pull it out of the schedule. As for now, I think NY is still safe.

6. Country233

Dang that's a long time to wait and wonder. I pretty much scowl when I see Tom Selleck now...even though I know it isn't his fault.

7. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

i dunno, i'm not so sure. the ratings aren't as good as last season, sure, but everyone knew they'd drop moving to fridays. and i read somewhere that the drop between ep 1 and ep 4 is less than the drop between ep 1 and ep 2 last season so i think there's still something there.

that said... and don't get me wrong, obviously i'm a big fan of the show and whatnot - i kinda hope they do cancel after this season. i would much rather it quit while it was ahead (just about) than go out limping (in fact by about half way through last season i was actively hoping it would be cancelled because last season was so goddamn shit - but this season so far has been better, thanks to the creative oomph they've all got by hiring sela, so my enthusiasm is back, at least a bit). also i think with gary so busy elsewhere it could be a possibility. personally i'd rather see him doing something else than csi - much as i enjoy csi.

so y'know, i actually think it's less likely than people make out but if it happens, meh, i'm cool with that.

8. Geeno

Geeno Pathologist

I wish we could get at least the 200th episode and I'm fine if the show ended there. About season 9. Of course I want more than that if possible! :D

By the way, Blue Bloods, The Defenders and other CBS new shows are given ull season pick-ups.

9. sjhubby

sjhubby Prime Suspect

It would not suprise me a bit. I stopped after Melina left. Season 6 was so bad. I watched the season premire just to see how the wrote out Stella and was so pissed off about the way they did it. I tried watching episode three because of Adam, but the truth is I hate Jo. Not Sela's fault again, the writers were just to forceful with introducing a new person. I just can't stand Jo. So as far as I am concerned the show is already over. Thank God for reruns on other channels.

10. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

I'm curious how they're supposed to introduce a new character? They have to give them ample amount of screen time because they have to play catch up to people who've been on the show for six years. This last episode Jo was hardly in it at all so it appears they've settled down now that they took several episodes to get the audience up to speed on who she is, where she came from and how she works.

I just don't get how people can use three introductory episodes to judge a character. It took me over a season to detest Lindsay; but then I wasn't pissed off that the actress who played Aiden (whose name escapes me for some reason) chose to leave the show.

I'm also wondering how they were supposed to write Stella out. Melina wasn't going to be a part of Stella's exit, so it really didn't make any sense to give the character a big send off. It would've been stupid to have some big, huge deal made out of it if Stella wasn't in the episode at all. Unless they killed her off, then it would've made sense, but I highly doubt Stella fans would've been happy with that resolution either.

But I guess that's neither here nor there. The issue is that I don't see how the show could be in danger of being cancelled with the numbers it's pulling on a night when ratings normally suck out loud. A few people on a message board saying they've stopped watching the show doesn't really make me believe the show is in any real danger.

11. Ninja0980

Ninja0980 Police Officer

IMO, this is Csi Miami and New York's final seasons. The ratings were going down for both of these shows anyway and the nights they moved them are places CBS knows they will do poorly in.
    As for canceling quality shows, bottom line is CBS cares about $$$ and nothing else.
    That's why Cold Case, a very good quality show was put into a time slot of death and then axed.
    And that's why, come this May, I have a strong feeling CSI NY and Miami will be gone.

12. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

exactly. and she'd taken more of a back seat by ep3, which hardly shows high levels of exposure. it seems to me they've taken lessons from the langston introduction in vegas: not only was he front and centre in every ep for ages, he also took on a job that had a rookie title but a boss remit which, understandably, pissed people off (me included). jo's entry has been much more subtle, and crucially she's come in doing a job that she's qualified for and stuck to it.

vanessa ferlito :) but yes, i think this is the crux of it for a lot of people. i have a sneaking suspicion that people would be much less bothered by the method of introduction for jo if she wasn't "replacing" someone else. (i don't think she is replacing her for the record - of course in a very technical sense, as in leading lady leaves, leading lady required, but there's a huge difference between their characters and it's never been suggested that she's in any way superior to her predecessor, she's just there, she's different, and that's that)

also agreed. i'm assuming this was because MK decided not to return to shoot exit scenes - as is her prerogative - and tptb had to work around that. personally i think they handled it well - the 5 month jump meant that no mention of stella was necessary. it was assumed that she left in the intervening time, everyone said their goodbyes at that point, then got on with their jobs. no one in the real world makes eulogising speeches for colleagues that left months previously, so it made perfect sense that no one was going around the lab pining.

also agreed :)

13. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

From Marc Berman over at PI Feedback:

He's a ratings expert, so I'd say that sounds very promising! :)

14. ~Sarah~

~Sarah~ Lab Technician

:hugegrin: I certainly hope so. I'll be pretty disappointed if it gets canceled.

15. Country233

Amen to that. I hope it gets another season at least. I only started watching it last season and come to find out a lot of people thought it sucked. It didn't bother me.