CSI:NY in danger of cancellation.....

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by recordplayer69, Oct 21, 2010.

1. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

how many of the old seasons have you caught up with now? for me s1 is best, i like the darker aspect it has, then 3, then 2, then 4, then, well, the rest! but 7 is shaping up pretty well so far :D

2. Country233

Country233 Police Officer

So far I only have watched part of season 2. Lately I've been watching movies rather than my NY discs.

3. MacsLady

MacsLady CSI Level Two

^ Season #1 is my favourite too, for the same reasons as you, lisa. I liked the more diverse aspects of the suspects and victims involved in the cases too.

4. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

TV Guide and Michael Ausiello are reporting that Medium's episode order for the season was cut to 13, which will probably mean it's over after that. They're thinking the Criminal Minds spinoff could be an option for the replacement.

I'm curious to see what will happen, if anything, to NY's ratings when another show takes over for 'Medium.'

5. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

ah, let me know when you've watched the very first ep of s1, it's lovely. poor miserable moody mac :D:drool::drool:

shallow? moi?

it will be very interesting to see what the curtailment of medium will do. i've been catching up with medium as i lost track in s5 when it kept changing networks (it messed it up over here too), but it's not as good as it used to be so probably the right decision.

6. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

My mom watches Medium, and she just hasn't enjoyed the episodes this season. Hopefully if they give NY a compatible new lead-in, NY will get a boost in ratings.

7. Geeno

Geeno Pathologist

Anybody who watches Detroit 1-8-7 on ABC? It's very much like season 1 of CSI: NY. It's dark, gritty, serious but there is a small amount of humor too. The stories are diverse and simple. You might like it too.

Sad news for Medium fans. The writers must have seen this coming so that they wouldn't have a hard time for the series finale. I hope CBS will replace it with a much stronger show so that NY/BB will benefit too. I wish CM2 will be put there but I kind of doubt it because it's a new show and it might not be strong enough to start the night.

Last edited: Oct 27, 2010
  8. Country233

I like Detroit 1-8-7. Mom started watching it and I was lukewarm because shallow me, found it lacked any attractive men, but I watched several episodes and I like it. It is a good gritty show after Castle opens the week of crime.
    I watch Castle, Detroit, Criminal Minds, NY, and Miami. Guess I am a crime ghoul lol

9. Country233

Ok, I will probably order s1 when I get through watching season 2. Moody Mac sounds sexy!

10. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

I just read this on TV Guide, so I thought I'd bring it over here since it's relevant to this discussion:

11. PerfectAnomaly

I agree completely that they won't just cancel it. This is part of the most successful franchise on TV even if it is the spin off with the lowest numbers. There's no way they'd pull it without giving it a proper ending. And I agree that bringing in Sela adds at least a couple of more seasons onto it. I think Jo/Sela is the "breath of fresh air" they tried and failed to bring in with Lindsay/Anna in s2.

12. Geeno

Geeno Pathologist

Yeah right? I was thinking maybe CBS regrets a little bit about the move to Friday. What if Melina had decided to leave earlier, about april/may (but finished filming the season) then NY got Sela right away, will CBS move NY? Sigh. She's a great replacement. One season of her on the show is not enough for me. :D

13. PerfectAnomaly

I think they'd still have moved it. They knew what they were doing. They wanted to pull bigger numbers for Friday and moving NY was the way to do it.

14. Geeno

Geeno Pathologist

Yeah I was just wondering but I agree that they'd still moved it. I just can't accept that the show's demise might be sooner because of the move. Good thing is the ratings are good and no way it will be pulled-out this season.

15. byline

byline CSI Level One

The way I look at it is, every scripted TV show is losing viewers. If you check out the Nielsen ratings, all the network shows are way down, in terms of total viewership, from what they used to be. That's thanks to DVRs, downloads and a lot of other factors which are eroding the networks' viewership for specific time periods.

However, that doesn't mean a show is destined to be canceled, because the relevant factor is how well it's doing in comparison to its competition. And in that regard, all three shows in the "CSI" franchise consistently win their time slot. Or, at least, "Miami" did until they moved it to Sunday night, competing with "Sunday Night Football"; not sure that was such a great move on CBS's part, but that may change once football season ends. But "New York" is still winning its Friday night time slot (and is also serving as a strong lead-in to the new series, "Blue Bloods"), so I think that bodes well for its future.

Don't look for CBS to cancel any of the "CSI" series unless they can come up with something else that they know will do better in the ratings. Of course, I said the same thing about NBC's "Law & Order" (also moved to Friday nights), and it ended up being canceled . . . so take that with a grain of salt.