"House Of Hoarders" Discussion **Spoilers**

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by DJRideout, Oct 17, 2010.

1. blackflag

blackflag Chocoholic for Life Moderator

You got to remember Smokey, it's George who watches the show and knows how it works - not Nick. You could tell between the beginning whe he says (and I paraphrase) "how can people live like this" and the end when he's cleaning out his desk that he had a very hard time coming to terms with the fact that someone could not only do this to themselves but to their children (and the son sounded like it had gone on since they were kids).

Besides Nick didn't come to his conclusion and just stop at I'm right and you're wrong.

Just because the mother was mentally disabled does not make her incapable of killing someone. It may make her incapable of understanding killing someone but not incapable of doing it.

Did Sara ever talk to the case worker? Ultimately I put most of the blame on the case worker. She was, obviously, not following the case close enough.

Susan

2. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

I know. :) That's what I mean. George, the actor, I would think might say, "Whoa, that's not how these people are and I don't want Nick to react that way to it."

3. Dizzney

Dizzney Moderately Insane Moderator

I did think of that.

In regards to Nick thinking that way, if George had said that he did not want Nick to think that way, the conflict between Sara and him would have not been there and I think that is one thing that really was great about this episode. People do have differing opinions on things and at least at the end they made up again and both realized their mistakes.

You know, I do not remember if that question was answered either. I was wondering the same thing. Did I somehow miss it?

Overall I give the episode an A-.

4. Sinclair

Sinclair Rookie

I think that kinda got lost in the latter part of the episode but i thought it was the mum who killed diana (the first body) because she, diana, was trying to clear up the mess.

At the end someone, i think it was sara, mentions that they decided not to prosecute the mum. I didn't know whether this was for tying up her youngest daughter or for killing her eldest daughter diana?

Despite the above uncertainty i really enjoyed this episode. I have to admit i was anticipating not liking it due to the abscence of Catherine but Sara really shone throughout.

Hoarders was an interesting subject to cover, i guess it works well in the US at the moment as you have the hoarders show (the uk's interest in that type of show died out a few years ago).

Nice tension between Sara and Nick, i sided with Sara in this case and thought that Nick was a little out of character (or at least they didn't provide a great rationale for his attitude).

Did any think it was like mum's away (catherine) so the kid's start to squabble (nick and sara) because dad's useless at keeping them in check (Ray).

Favourite parts:

1. The two Larry's at the beginning 'You getting a little soft' :), trying to kick down the door.

2. Greg's line after treading on the bubble wrap 'wouldn't want to throw that out'.

3. Sara walking away from Ray as he try's to mediate (have to say i really warmed to Ray in this episode, we'll see how long that lasts).

5. Smokey

I was just watching it again, and when they are interviewing the mother about the older daughter, she's kind of vague about what happened..."things were falling, there was blood". Then she says the daughter said she was fine and left. Soooo....did she really and then collapsed in the house and the mom didn't know? Or did the mom really know she died and/or was the one who killed her and then left her there? Either way, I don't understand how she is set free at the end, unless there was just not enough evidence to prosecute her for the first death.

Again, I did like the tension there between Sara and Nick and how it slowly escalated, peaked, and then came back down. He and Warrick went at it a few times. It happens. :)

That scene with the shotgun is about the funniest thing I've seen on there in a long time. :lol: Nick and Sara laughing at each other on the floor. Priceless! :lol:

6. margarita_salt

margarita_salt Hit and Run

The eppy was a little confusing I admit because I too got confused on who killed the woman they found at the beginning of the episode. :confused:

I also wondered what was up with Nick & Sara...lots of tension. I thought Nick was kind of being a little hateful or bad tempered, I dont think he was having a good day. Nick seemed intent to prosecute this woman who was a "Hoarder"...Seems like he had something of a grudge against this person.

I liked the scene were Nick & Sara were fighting and Langston tried to help Sara by giving her some advice about walking away...and she did, I think Sara is over the whole CSI thing! :wtf:

I like the scenes with Greg when the gun went off that was a funny moment....at least he got some screen time.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2010
  7. frickangel

frickangel Prime Suspect

Overall, it was a very well balanced episode without any one of the characters taking centre stage too much. Although Sara did have a little more focus, but it wasn't in-your-face-character-attention.

I felt that for once in a very long time, they've finally found a nice share of character-use in the case where everyone contributed in some way and each of them had a chance to shine and be who they were written to be. I also feel that there wasn't too little of Ray but in fact just about right and he still got to play his knowledgeable self without being overbearing.

Now, let's see how the writers do when ALL the characters are in the mix. I suspect the only reason why the character balance was there was because a) Marg and Wallace wasn't in this ep and b) Laurence Fishburne was filming a movie at that time (or so I've heard).

TPTB, you've found back your footing so here's hoping you won't lose it so soon.

8. Smokey

margarita_salt....I'm putting this here because you don't have PM privileges yet, otherwise I would do this in a Private Message. :)

I've noticed that you add icons to the bottom of each message you post. Please remember that pics should be posted only in the designated pic threads.

Also, you can showcase your icons in the Fan Art forum. :)

Even tho you are too new yet to have an avatar, you can still have a signature. If you like you could put a signature (text or a banner, not both) that will appear on each post you make.

Also, you can use bold type for user names (that's considered protocol), but it's a bit distracting when the whole post is in bold type. :)

Please let us know if you have any questions. Thanks! :)

9. Wojo

Wojo Corpse

I was thinking that too, her death was most likely an accident. With all that piled up junk in the house something is bound to come crashing down on top of someone.

I think that may have been what happened and the daughter said she was leaving and her mother thought she left but she collapsed and died instead. I can understand why she didn't notice with all that trash everywhere...however, how can she not have noticed the smell of rotting flesh??

10. ladyhunter

ladyhunter Head of the Swing Shift

Hubby just gone done watching this episode. I need to watch it again.

I do have to say, Sara rocked. She took on Ray by walking away from him and his unsolicited advise. And she took on Nick. Who yea, was an ass. It proves that perhaps Sara could run the lab when Cath leaves.

I have to say I'm not Sara's biggest fan since GSR went cannon, but, since her return to CSI in Season 10 I have really grown to like her again. She's fierce, won't back down and is tough and decisive when she needs to be. ROCK ON SARA!

I'm sure I'll add more after I watch this episode again.

11. Frosch

Frosch Witness

I assume Nick’s behaviour in the previous scenes is the reason Sara is calling him an ‘ass’ because based on the clip of that scene they are both behaving equally ‘arsey’. And I am obviously in the minority here, but Sara walking out on Ray in mid sentence was highly juvenile and churlish in my view. The only group of people where that is somewhat expected and acceptable are teenagers:rolleyes:

Question to this new twist of Sara’s mother being schzichoprenic. Was it ever established on the show that Sara came from an abusive household or was that just what everybody assumed was the reason for her mother killing her father? For the life of me I can’t remember. I find it hard to sometimes separate what I’ve read in fan fiction to what has been established on the show. Or have the show writers just rewritten her history?

12. margarita_salt

margarita_salt Hit and Run

I didnt know there rules about photos in posts. I will take all of them down.

13. Gloriana

Gloriana Dead on Arrival

I wasn't nuts about this episode, but I enjoyed it. There didn't seem to be a lot of the distracting contrivances they've been throwing in there as of late, and that was great. I, too, was a little bit confused as to who did what and why, but I figured it out well enough in the end.

Wasn't really fond of the actress they picked to play the murdering daughter, not that she had to be off the wall crazy but this girl was just sort of flaccid and seemed half asleep. Anyone else get the feeling she just wandered on to the set rather than being specifically cast for the role? She didn't even come off as a detached sociopath to me, she came off as a bored teenager.

I don't know if I'm really irritated that Sara is apparently permanently 'back', or if I'm just constantly irritated at their continued lack of explanation for it. I don't dislike the Sara Sidle character at all, I've just found it so annoying they just 'threw' her back into the mix after that huge jungle climax to Grissom's story in Season 9, and now it's like it doesn't even exist.

I've been going with the flow on it but it really just annoys me. I like Sara, it's just awkward how she's suddenly just 'there' again. Not that she has to mention Grissom every episode or have her life revolve around that relationship, but just a little more information would be helpful. It's not even suspenseful or mysterious, I just find it really bizarre.

I think this was better than a lot of the recent episodes, I just think the writers might have thrown too many complex concepts into one mix. Basically deconstructing the psychology of hoarders, then delving into how that psychology may or may not dictate the subsequent behavior of their children. Interesting stuff but I think maybe a little too much for a one hour show.

I liked the Nick/Greg/Sara scenes, watching their dynamic is always fun (probably my favorite sets of character dynamics on the whole show). I, too, liked Sara walking away from Ray. I love his character so much but I think they did 'push' him to a 'authority' level way too fast. I think stuff like that sort of evens it out and makes it seem more real, hence more enjoyable.

My favorite line was Greg's, with "Is it bad this place is starting to feel like home to me?", haha.

14. Gloriana

Gloriana Dead on Arrival

I'm glad I wasn't the only one! I realized this immediately and there were so many similar elements between those stories that I seriously starting mingling them together. That distracted me so much, but I was like "I shouldn't be irritated because it just proves I watch this show waaaaay too frakkin' much and did this to myself", lol.

15. myfuturecsi

myfuturecsi Corpse

I was hoping the end of the episode would have Greg and Sara go over to Nick's (where Greg would host a mediation meeting) only to discover that Nick Stokes too is a Hoarder!!! Boxes and boxes of football paraphernalia as far as the eye can see.

Greg: Dude..I'm going to call Dr.Prescott for you.

Sara: Ha! hahahah!