Episode 9x02 - 'Sudden Death' ***CONTAINS SPOILERS***

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by FieldMouse, Oct 9, 2010.

1. CSI_Natalia

CSI_Natalia Prime Suspect

This seems to be a recurring issue with CSI miami... They never really explain the status of Calleigh and Delko...and we're always left kinda like 'huh?" ... they go episodes without even mentioning it... then we're supposed to understand that they have or haven't been together for the past x amount of weeks... I have noticed this in the past as well.. esp. the beginning of last season when Delko had first come back I remember him and Calleigh having a weird conversation... just another classic 'csi miamism' where they pick and piece random character development and never really go all the way with it.

...due to football delays, I haven't been able to watch yet so I can't really respond to 2nite's episode...but still, from past history w / the show..I am not too surprised by what you have said.

2. ladyjr8

ladyjr8 Police Officer

I was glad to have CSIM on Sunday but now with football delays maybe not-it was on too late and I can't take over the tv if football is on so I"ve gotta wait till very late now..thank goodness for DVR I guess...not excited to see Erika Sykes but if she's still around then maybe she'll be a good victim one of these days...the boys (Eric & Ryan) run all over the place-ninja Horatio just appears like magic and waves his dangerous gun on the suspect...luv it..

3. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

:censored: I didn't get it all (recorded, didn't watch live, was busy doing other stuff)! Ugh. I hate you, CBS! Put Miami back on Mondays!

Last edited: Oct 11, 2010
  4. luf100

luf100 Coroner

I actually kind of agree with you on that, but I find this happens all the time with all three of the CSI's. I'll be sitting there thinking "Really? If this crime was real life, they would never catch the killer". Or at least, not like that. :lol:

I did like the episode though, even if all the sciency stuff was sort of meh.

5. ECRocks

ECRocks Witness

WTH was going on with C/E I really toght that when I first saw it. I only saw bits but Ofcourse Travers was the best xD en Natalia Rocked again and champange or wth xD

6. Delquesne

Delquesne Prime Suspect

For me, this episode was just OK. On the plus side, I loved the opening scene, because any scene of Eric in "chasing-perps mode" is a treat for me, esp. when he's with Ryan or Horatio. It was also good to see Ryan getting some more screen time.

On the minus side, like CalleighAndEric said, at some points, it was a bit difficult to buy the science. Like Natalia completely drying a cell phone with a bathroom hand-dryer. Having had the unfortunate experience of dropping my cell phone in a running bathroom sink for less than 5 seconds (as opposed to having it soaking overnight in a pool on the eppy itself), I know that it takes nothing short of a miracle to be able to retrieve anything from a cell phone that has come into contact with water. So the writers kind of lost me there. And I was already a little skeptical about Brady Jensen taking that flying leap over the railing and making that perfect landing. Granted, I'm sure he was in phenomenal shape, being an elite athlete and all, but still ... not even a slight limp after making a jump that could have killed or seriously injured Ryan? I don't think so.:rolleyes:

There was also not enough Calleigh for my taste. She's one of the characters that draws me to the show, so it was a bit of a let-down to see her so infrequently, and always chained to a desk. But I guess that's just a temporary adjustment to deal with Emily's real-life pregnancy. I'm sure that we'll see more of her in the field once she's had her baby and returns for the 2nd half of S. 9.

I'm also not sure how I feel about Horatio saving yet another damsel in distress (Sarah the bottle girl). I like seeing the various sides of H, including his compassionate side. But sometimes he can come across as a bit paternal (or maybe patronizing is the better word?), which I find somewhat uncomfortable to watch at times when he's interacting with grown women. (On the other hand, his scenes with children often make me tear-up). But maybe that's just me. [​IMG]

But the real buzz-kill for me in this episode was that final scene between Calleigh and Eric. At this point, I'm not so much upset/confused as I am cynical. :shifty: It seems as though the CSIM writers can't help but resort to the same frustrating vagueness and hide-the-ball tactics that we saw in "Bad Seed" when it comes to writing Eric & Calleigh as a couple. As I've said before, I'm not sure what the goal of TPTB is in doing this, since I don't think that the ambiguity pleases either the E/C-shippers or non-shippers. It's just a shame that the CSIM scribes feel the need to jerk our chains when it comes to how the E/C romance is handled.:confused:

7. ladyjr8

ladyjr8 Police Officer

you can subscribe to an email by CBS called eye-alert I think-that tells you if there is a delay from news/sports etc-I got the email in time thank goodness and I was able to change my dvr in time...

8. Theresa

Theresa Lab Technician

Can you believe it was delayed by an hour? And this wasn't even due to overtime. This is not good. How is the show going to get any measure of performance when it comes on at 11 p.m.? They are really expecting alot of an audience to stay up to midnight. Regarding the episode, all I have to say right now is good amount of Ryan. Enjoyed his scene with Erica, although they both looked uncomfortable. BTW, did you find it odd that that was not blood on his tee shirt but the design. Did they intentionally try to mislead us with that?

9. Ninja0980

Ninja0980 Police Officer

It should be noted that with Emily being pregnant in real life, it will be VERY intresting to see where they take the story.

10. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

CBS finally put the episode on their website and I got to watch it.

My thoughts:

The chase is on! I love when Ryan and Eric chase suspects togteher.

What's the point of the sparklers in the drink bottles?

The "agent" is kind of cocky and annoying.

Eric: You're an idiot.
    Ryan: I almost made it. :guffaw:

James Frain is in this episode? I bet his character is the killer. It's almost always the most well known guest name.

Was the new M.E. flirting with Walter? What did she say? Welcome to something-ville... I didn't catch the word before "ville". My speakers on my computer are not that great.

LOL at Walter's story about his big sisters.

I know those bathroom hand dryers are like industial strength, but come on!

The scratches came from her 6yr old? I highly doubt that.

The girls' boss wears too much eye makeup.

Travers' explanation of the wine thing was kind of interesting.

That pattern on Ryan's shirt is kind of distracting LOL.

Frank: Yeah, I'll get that call when pigs fly. :lol:

Erica looks different with that haircut.

Dave! I love his smile!

Yep, I knew it would be James Frain's character.

The crown just happened to fly into his pocket? Come on!

LOL the athlete called Erica a jackal.
    Ryan: Wow, I've never seen her speechless before. :lol:

The new M.E. is okay. She doesn't really have much of a personality yet. I hope if she appears more often that they flesh her out a bit.

The E/C scene makes me wonder if the episodes was aired out of order or something.

Horatio's always helping some damsel in distress. Not that it's a bad thing.

11. roulietta

roulietta Hit and Run

I'm so disapointed for Calleigh and Eric :eek:
    It was NEVER mentioned before that thy were'nt together anymore.
    We haven't had not even a tiny explanation, WTF?

However I found the whole episode just boring... déjà vu!!

12. kala79

kala79 Lab Technician

Maybe you are right...this last scene with EC just didn't make sense at all...I know that continuity is a challenge for CSIM writers, but still... BIT OF EXPLANATION PLEASE?:eek:that was totally out of blue.
    Not happy.
    I never liked this Horatio's patronising attitude towards women . I'm annoyed that it's always him who can comfort young, very beautiful women or vulnerable children...It's just very lame and unintentionally funny after few seasons:guffaw:

13. roulietta

roulietta Hit and Run

I think you're right, that's the onliest explanation :wtf:

14. CSI-AJ

CSI-AJ Lab Technician

I found this to be a snoozefest

-The chase scene was too long and poorly edited.
    -New ME is ok
    -Walter and Nat in the ladies room was funny
    -Ms Snootypants (Erica) getting owned was funny

Nice to see everyone get some more screen time but it's a shame the story was dull to make it a good one

Rating 2/5

15. Country233

Country233 Police Officer

I know that conversation left me very puzzled as well. I thought they were an item all along.

The football delays really frustrate the hell out of me. Thankfully they made it exactly an hour late, so I could watch the whole show. I don't have a DVR so I have to just wait around or set my VCR to tape a chunk of time.