"Blood Moon" Discussion **SPOILERS**

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by Smokey, Oct 3, 2010.

1. K-Bug

K-Bug Lab Technician

:wtf: In 11 years, Cath has NEVER gotten physical with a suspect, unless she has been physically attacked (A Little Murder, Gone Dead Train, Panty Sniffer [which if you want to argue she got physical with Bell first, go ahead; however, she was trying to disarm him and it turned out badly for her]). Yes, she mouths off, but that's in her character that she is driven by passion. She doesn't have anger issues. Ray has gotten physical SEVERAL times in less than two years, which makes it somewhat clear that he can't control himself. Even if he has a suspect subdued, you can still see that there is something in him that wants to go even further.

2. waiting4summer

waiting4summer Police Officer

And we all know what happened to Warrick.

Desert, I'm not saying LF is at fault. In fact I mentioned earlier that tptb were allowing things to happen that may not be appropriate for the plausibility of the show. LF is a wonderful actor and can only deliver the lines requested of him each episode. I never intended this to be a vendetta against a character that is obviously your favorite. My wish is that his character be allowed to develop at a slightly slower rate, that's all. We've had ten years to learn about the other characters. I think that tptb are trying too hard to 'catch him up'.

All in all, I liked this episode. I too thought for the most part it harkened back to earlier seasons. I enjoyed the interactions with all the characters. There were many good lines and seeing a balance of them all (except for Brass :() was a very good thing in my opinion.

3. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

OMG, Catherine is one of the most miserable, unahappy angry characters on the show, She's been mugged, drugged, slammed up against a car and had many liaisons , that were inappropriate and wouldn't have occured if she stayed home with her only child. If she controlled herself, these encounters wouldn't have happened And bad marriage taboot, and never a good solid relationship wth any man. And I never said she got physical only that she had "anger issues" also bad exit review from Riley which left her upset. She tells perps to "shut up", and has been majorly ticked off with everyone at one time or another. I was just pointing out that all of the team has had anger issues at one time or another, her leading the pack. And Ray is a man who may get angry, but on the opposite side of the coin, is soft-spoken low-key and gentle, and I give him high kudos for coming to the girls rescue in this episode~

Last edited: Oct 11, 2010
  4. PraetorCorvinus

PraetorCorvinus Moderator Moderator

Wow. I find this to be incredibly disrespectful toward the character and slightly offensive. You're basically saying that Catherine is allowed no life or outlet outside of her child. I'm not saying she neglect Lindsey, but she deserves someone else to connect with. And of her previous liaisons, all first appeared as stand up guys.

If it had been Catherine and not Ray who smacked the guy and strangled him, what would you have said? That she has anger issues? Yet with Ray it's perfectly fine. WHY? Because he's "soft and gentle"? That's incredibly biased. I can't believe you actually posted that.

5. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

Okayyyyy...getting a little hot in here. Let's cool off, okay? Character gushing can be done in the character specific threads. Character bashing needs to stop. Points can be made in a civilized and respectful manner if they pertain to the episode this thread is designated for, but the arguing is reaching a level where it's about to become a free for all, so let's step back a bit and calm down. Thanky! :)

6. Desertwind

Hey I call them as the writers show them, and none of what I said was disrespectful, only what I've seen on the show. All of what I posted has happened, so I can't help it if the truth hurts, so there you have it. Fans have their views and others have there's. And I still think his efforts on the werewolve confrontation were ligit. Here's one, remember Nick in "Snakes" in the bar when he ran amok on that low-life. The thing is out of one tiny scene out of the whole episode some fans take this and slice, dice and tear him apart for protecting someone in harms way. But never talk about the fun part of this episode, with him and Nick and their delightful banter in "Blood Moon":confused:

7. Smokey

Yes, it was disrespectful and was intended to aggravate and continue the arguing. And I said stop. Now stop.

8. waiting4summer

waiting4summer Police Officer

Sorry for my part in the discussion, Smokey. I never intended it to get so heated.

9. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

Yes, Langston came to the 'rescue' of the waitress and rightly so. However, there is a difference between 'subduing' a suspect and 'choking one to unconsciousness'. He went overboard and, as I see it, the only character with anger and violence issues.

This is how his character is written. They were going to go with him having a 'serial killer gene' thing, so this would go along with that. Remember him not wanting Wendy to take his DNA? Riley mentioned her concern too, though she had her own issues.

All the CSIs have gotten angry and physical with a suspect but that doesn't mean they have 'anger issues' or have knocked the person unconscious doing so.

Catherine is a strong woman who takes 'guff' from no one. That doesn't make her miserable etc., that makes her a strong woman. Just like those who don't like Lady Heather for the same reason.

So Langston and Nick did right, but Langston went too far. As for there being no cops, everyone is right a cop should have been there, but Nick was a cop before coming a cSI so he does have cop training.

So I think there is one thing we can all agree on, ALL OF THE CHARACTERS are in no way perfect and they ALL have their faults. I have my favorite character and I don't put him up on a pedestal and think he is perfect. Nick is far from it and I can point out his faults.

Not trying to enflame this discussion more, but it had to be said.

This was a great episode and there were great moments between all the CSIs, Langston and Nick, Nick and Sara, etc.

10. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

Speaking of neglect: where the hell is Ray's wife? We saw the wedding ring the other night, yet still no sign of her. If we back up a bit to the "Dr. Who?" episode last season, there was no sign of her at Ray's house. And don't you think if she was living there she'd find the "suspect wall" a bit... weird?

With all those anger issues, I bet she's locked up in the basement. ;)

11. Desertwind

His wife will be introduced in this season according to Carol Mendelsohn and she figures in a final arc with him. He's always had on the wedding ring since the onset. It's on our news files a ways back. And she's probably working across the pond, or some other distant place which will be eventually explained~

12. vegaslights

vegaslights Brute

Working with Grissom of course... :rolleyes:

13. Smokey

Since this party is going on way into the night and DJ and I need some sleep and can't be chaperones any longer, we're going to shut 'er down so everyone can take a few deep breaths and step away for a bit. We'll open back up for discussion tomorrow.

14. margarita_salt

margarita_salt Hit and Run

What I think about this eppy:

1. I am so glad that Catherine is finally seeing some real action! :thumbsup:
    2. Hodges needs a HUG! Someone please talk to that poor guy so we dont have to see a lovesick Hodges the rest of the season.
    3. Glad Wendy has not been forgotten
    4. Loved Ray's eyes.
    5. I liked the whole Vampire plot.. Cool :vulcan:
    6. Loved that they had the HOT guys from The Young and the Restless on this episode.

I give it a rating of 7 out 10. Not too bad. Although it should have been a Halloween episode.

15. byline

byline CSI Level One

True, but all along we we've been learning about each of the characters, and in the beginning we actually knew quite a bit about them, and learned a lot more quite quickly. We knew that Grissom had a brilliant scientific mind, had a talent for solving forensic puzzles and was singlemindedly devoted to his career (and relaxed by riding roller coasters), Catherine was a single mom who had worked as a dancer and was divorced from her "deadbeat dad" of a husband, we knew that Warrick had a gambling problem, etc.

I find that the introduction of a new character in with already established characters is often an awkward process, because, as you point out, the writers are almost literally trying to catch that new character up with the established ones. It's a tricky process, especially when a new character is introduced as the lead. I don't have any answers, but do feel that the process does not feel as "organic" as it should. I suspect that there is also a lot of pressure from the network to try to "force" the show be as competitive in the ratings as it once was, which can lead to a lot of conflicting ideas about how to make that happen, which in turn is not conducive to the creative process.

Going back to this episode: I do think that Ray reacted in, if not the most believable way in a real-life crime scene investigation (but hey, this is fiction), it was plausible under the circumstances to protect himself and others. Yes, the CSIs should always be accompanied by at least one police officer, but we all know that the CSIs started being written as cops a long time ago, and that certainly did not start with Ray, so there's no reason why it should stop with him, either.