Episode 9x01 - "Fallen" ***CONTAINS SPOILERS***

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by Finch, Oct 1, 2010.

1. BauerAlmeida

BauerAlmeida Rookie

The "official" report is that they want to focus on the "core" cast more.

But no one really seriously believe that line of BS they're trying to convince people as the truth. The actor did not want any money, in fact, he was glad to be on the show. The network and show runners decided since one of their original actors wanted to return and they love to have him return, the new actor who was the original actor's "replacement" would be let go so the original actor could return to the "core" cast.

It was to be honest because Miami wanted its golden boy back and actor Eddie Cibrian was the unfortunate casualty who was kicked to the curb because Miami could never really write for more than 3 people.
    ---------------------------------

On another note, I've been falling and trying to hit my head to test this theory of cerebral hemorrhaging by falling down, but apparently I am not falling the right way because I'm not dead yet....hmmmmm....maybe further testing is required.....

They should have just said Jesse died because his face was right next to the floor vents and he inhaled way more than the others, I would have believed that. But they just HAD to mention he hit his head. It's just silly.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2010
  2. MiamiWolfe

MiamiWolfe Pathologist

I read everyone else's comments on the season premiere and wanted to add my two cents.

Random thoughts:

Having Eric being affected by the gas, to me, was realistic. If it took H to shoot out the window to bring in fresh air to revive everyone, Eric SHOULD have been affected.

Found Jesse' death...abrupt. Thought the head trama killing him a bit lame. Maybe with the combination of him getting a faceful of gas from being so close to the vent......

Adam added to the end of the credits and no other vast changes. Guess it was cheaper that way:rolleyes:

Felt caring Natalia's pain when trying to help Jesse. Kudos ELR!!!

Thought Ryan looked good. Was very annoyed and disappointed with his limited screentime. Hopefully THAT will improve.

Frank got action!!! That is more than he's seen in awhile. Good for him:thumbsup:

I kind of like the edgy H. I felt his passion and grief.

It was pretty sad seeing Jesse in the morgue, especially knowing that he had a Mom grieving for him. The scene with Walter was touching.

Starling was loony tunes, that's for sure.

Never liked or trusted Melissa.

Dave Benton!!

Travers: I'm British, Byron is in my blood. Gosh I love him!!

Enjoyed Eric and Ryan working together without any attitude.

I hope that H will work with someone else besides Eric sometimes.

My favorite scene was the ending and H saying to Walter they were there for him. I also enjoyed the Ryan/Natalia hug. Was a bit bothered by Cal/Ryan wager at first (did they forget Ryan is a recovering gambling addict?), but decided it could have been in all in fun (hopefully). I hope this show of team unity isn't a short term thing; the us versus them theme of the last few seasons was so old.

All in all I enjoyed it.

RIP Jesse, RIP:(

3. bill_az

bill_az Rookie

This is part of the dichotomy of the CSIM writers that I can never understand. They can reach back and pull a character like the wealthy Cubano who openly gives Horatio $10 million in bait money to catch Ron Saris, but they suddenly develop writer's block when it comes time to engineer a respectable departure for Jesse.

lol, Walter could have given a short thesis on Brownian motion.

TPTB stopped gracefully eliminatng characters after Khandi/Alex left. I know Caruso has trumpeted the idea of, A new story every season, but they have left the long-time followers in the flotsam. This approach to TV writing has rarely worked. Long term success of a character (& by proxy, a TV series) has come from consistency--Alan Alda as Hawkeye, Redd Foxx as Fred Sanford, Carol O'Connor as Archie Bunker, the list goes on.

The episode was "not as bad as I feared." But that's not a ringing endorsement. The hoops game at the end lacked any meaningful dialogue--and Caruso clearly is no Jeff Hornacek from the 3-point line. I did come away with the impression that Natalia will be more prominent in this season. Not sure why I say that, just an impression (and a good one).

4. Solitaire

Solitaire CSI Level Two

I seem to be in the minority here, but I was rather disappointed with the episode.
    Firstly Jesse's death. What a waste. He hit his head?! Seriously, thats the best they could come up with. Im not surprised that Eddie was disappointed with his exit- it was less than dramatic.
    Then there was too much H and Eric for my liking. Im hoping that they arent going to be paired up too much. It will get old very soon. And Adam was rather over the top in a few of his scenes.
    The case, which started off well last season kinda fell flat. I preferred Melissa when she was the clever, innocent but annoying ethics student. It was different. It was so obvious that she was involved, Very predictable.

Now saying that there were some bits I did like- Walter's grief. He did really well in that scene.
    The basketball- very cheesy, but sweet. Loved Ryan and Natalia's little hug.
    Natalia- good screentime. Hopefully that is a sign of things to come. Not enough for Ryan though.

Not sure about all this emotion from H. I didnt like it when he was really cold, but all the aggression in his scenes seemed odd.

5. baybeehannah

baybeehannah Witness

OMG I absolutely loved this epi!! my fave part was when they were all playin basket ball in Jesse's honor, I keep watching that scene over and over again and I never get tired of it. All it does is put a big smile on my face and occasionally a few tears. Loved the Natalia and Ryan hug, just after Natalia threw the ball over his head Ryan was like "Damn it!! come here and give me a hug.....I taught you well." :lol:

6. hahagirl

hahagirl Hit and Run

I was pretty much glued to this episode much to my surprise. The ending was cheesy but still cute.

7. ruby&theheadmen

ruby&theheadmen Lab Technician

I taped Miami since my ardor for the show has been so dampened by all of the upheavals in the last few seasons, reasons?: the additions of Julia and Kyle ( I had to give up the show for quite a while when THEY entered the scene, the dislike was so visceral and intense) of Jesse, (I found him to be empty, plastic and fake- I'm glad he's dead and wish he had never appeared in the first place), Walter, (who for me, STILL distracts by his appearance-it swallows up everything else around him and becomes for me simply irritating, at least I stopped worrying whether he could breathe properly or not).

Then we have this problem with Eric; at first he was leaving, then he came back on until he now he dominates to a point of annoyance. I remember liking him in the first few seasons that I watched the program, but his "bull-in-a-china-shop" approach to everything as well as the unflattering hair cut made HIM annoying too. In addition, the kicking to curb betrayal of Rick Stetler, which along with the disappearance of Horatio's family (I don't need to mention them again) was enough to make me decide that a good nap, rather than going sleepless to see the premiere for Miami, was good enough. I watched what I had taped at around 2 AM.

So what did I see? I too, thought that Jesse's death was anti-climatic- I had heard that he was going to be bleeding from his nose and the thought of that would have made it more interesting for me than him hitting his head on the ground. I don't really know what to say- the pace was good, although Eric's "bull-in-a-china-shop" and panic of course got on my nerves, but to see Horatio be very active physically (and we haven't seen that in a VERY long time) was nice to see. I have to say that I didn't like him using vulgarity- I will pretend to think that Horatio was very distraught and frustrated with this particular villain, however I didn't find this villain to be all that original; he reminded me of Resden and looking back on it in retrospect, if it HAD been Resden, then I could have seen why Horatio would have been swearing because this guy, like poor, unfairly terminated, Rick had the unique talent of getting just a bit under Horatio's skin- something that few people succeed in doing.

Resden would have been continuity into the past, the very GREAT past; this would have been the genius villain that had stabbed Horatio, attempted to get rid of him by framing him for a murder of a woman that he had loved etc; this would have been a very personal villain attacking something that was personal to HIM, his team. Why get worked up over this guy? Horatio has had other officers die at the hands of bad guys before and never got this personal about it- when you think about it; Jessup was their friend but did Horatio go full ballistic and curse out at the Mala Noche for murdering him? No, because they had murdered his new bride, Marisol and his emotions went that way, but for Jessup the only one who got emotional about it was Ryan because they were friends, but Jessup's clever work had helped Calleigh as well as Horatio- but hey, no anger or deep grieving over him...

Jesse was never allowed time enough to be that important to any of them; if he had been Horatio's friend and they had had a past, the writers should have developed it more, but instead they flip-flopped over Eric and jumped around with their pet project of the E/C romance (which I really didn't care for either, but you could see it coming).

David's intensity which was nice to but as I said earlier, for H to curse like that seems to me to be very out of character; for me what is nice about Horatio is that unlike other officers he's never vulgar or gross; he's grace under pressure and that's nice to see in an age when grossology is well nigh deified by the prevailing devolving culture around us.

So I have the blahs...I'm not expecting very much- I won't be staying up to see Miami and I sure won't have that rush of excitement to see it; like I have with CSI NY. I don't think I'll get it until we see a return to basics, some continuity and some work from the past. I'm sorry to hear that Rory won't even consider doing the show- I had hoped that he would but that hope is lost- it's a real pity, because he brought excitement and chemistry to the show; I know people who would give their right arm (me included, if we were able to see Horatio working with Speed side by side platonic or otherwise hints given be hanged!)

Last edited: Oct 5, 2010
  8. silentdisco

silentdisco Police Officer

The CSI:Miami I knew and loved is back!

As for Jesse's death...eh. I never really cared for Jesse (at first I really didn't like him, then I just didn't care). Whatever, he's dead, don't care, but I did like how the team grieved (Horatio and Natalia trying desperately to save him, Walter having his moment in the morgue, Calleigh packing up his things, the team playing basketball in his honor).

Only real criticism I have is that I want more Frank, and I would've liked a little more Calleigh. I do understand that because Emily's pregnant, she's not doing action, but really, how hard is it to push a table in front of her belly and have her do just one more scene in the lab? Oh well, maybe she'll appear a little more in the upcoming episodes.

As I remember, Eric was not actually shot at the end of season 7. He was shot at, but he ended up in the hospital because the bullet fragment that was already in his head shifted and caused injury.

Also, from what I saw, Eddie died from the gas, not hitting his head. When he fell, his head landed right next to an air vent (the source of the poisoning), so it's no wonder he inhaled more of the toxic gas at a much quicker rate than everyone else.

I really don't think that's fair to say. Unless you know Adam personally, it's unwise to make judgments about his character.

I was thinking this too! Glad I'm not the only one who noticed.

9. CSI_Kat

CSI_Kat Addicted to Gutterville Moderator

Ok finally getting to see this....
    I for the most part enjoyed it....however

--annoyed at how Jesse died
    --not too happy about the H/E show....i was not happy Eric came back and if he dominates the show every week I will not be happy.
    --do not like the new lab tech at all
    --not happy with the amount of screen time Ryan had

--I was happy to see Natalia got more screen time
    --Travers was hilarious
    --I liked seeing H show more emotion
    --I liked the basketball scene. They should do things like that more often

10. miamirocks

miamirocks Lab Technician

All I can say is: YAAAAAY!! :thumbsup:

OK, so there were some annoyances (like the fact that Eric is now glued to the hip of H again; Jesse's death was kind of lame, though I think the fact that he landed so close to the gas vent was a good reason; the fact that Melissa was the accomplis was totally predictable; not enough Frank/Ryan.)

But for the good stuff:
    I really liked the opening scene, and didn't mind the "subtle" E/C moment in the beginning. It was nice to see the WHOLE TEAM concerned about each other - Ryan going to Omar, Nat going to Jesse, and H going to Calleigh. :hugegrin: The opening, I thought was very intense, and Eva LaRue did a damn good job w/it - and H showed a side of himself I've really missed - the compassionate, "I really love my team like my own family" side. :adore:

The basketball game - AWESOMENESS!! :beer: I wish Calleigh could've played, but it was understandable w/Emily's pregnancy and all. I too loved the Ryan/Nat hug - good PLATONIC friendly chemistry that would keep me watching - (NOTE to TPTB: not every boy/girl relationship has to be romantic to be interesting/moving! :shifty: ) We definitely need more TEAM SCENES like that - I LOVED it! (Although I did miss Frank, but you can't ask for everything).

If nothing else, Jesse's death has brought the team together, regardless of why TPTB decided to let his character go. (I personally am not an Eric fan, and don't really like what he's brought to the show the last couple of years, but for some reason TPTB want him there, and I too think it was b/c of this that Jesse got the ax.)

One thing I have to say is that Jesse got a hell of a better send-off than Speed :confused: - I mean, seriously - Eric hardly flinched in "Lost Son," and yes H was upset, but wasn't quite at the level he was tonight. And everyone was saying goodbye to Jesse - that just didn't happen in "Lost Son." I really LOVED SPEED and still miss him :( - I think he was a lot more of a vital character than Jesse, but at least Jesse's death might bring the team closer again, like it was in Seasons 1-2. To me, the team hasn't been the same since Speed's death -t hat's when fragmentation started. Maybe now another team members death will bring them back together.

I just hope we don't get the H/Eric "bro-show" every week :rolleyes: - I really don't like the dynamic Eric brings - he's very devisive and fragmentary to the team, especially w/Ryan. I wonder if recent events will change this. Ryan deserves a good storyline, and a BREAK from Calleigh and Eric.

Well... we'll see what the new season brings, but I give the first episode an 8.5 out of 10! Not too bad, considering where it's been on my list lately. Let's keep the focus on the TEAM this year, folks :)

11. BauerAlmeida

BauerAlmeida Rookie

The only problem is that they never said what EXACTLY killed Jesse, they just threw around a bunch of vague theories. And when Horatio asked why couldn't they revive Jesse, the ME said it could be because he hit his head when the others didn't and that it caused a cerebral hemorrhaging. I just find that completely ludicrous to believe that ONLY Jesse fell and hit his head out of everyone in the whole freakin' lab. Or that simply falling and hit the ground was able to cause cerebral hemorrhaging.

It's just lame and lazy writing. But then again, I shouldn't expect more from Miami writers. They were just starting to go good, now they're back to same old same old again.

I don't know Adam personally, and I don't particularly care to know him either way. I'm sure he's sweet and good to his fans, but I just don't appreciate him making empty promises and smiley-faced assurances that his return wasn't going to effect anyone when he and anyone who knows the entertainment business knows that it simply isn't true. The ax was going to fall on someone when he came back, and him coming out in public saying that no one was gonna get kicked out when he comes back is something I find to be insulting to the intelligence of the fans, myself included.

And personally, I just think the character of Eric is overused and needs a long vacation, I don't see how his return does anything new or refreshing to the show's storylines.

12. inthewind

inthewind CSI Level Two

I'm not now, nor have I ever been, a fan of Jesse, although his intereactions with Walter were amusing. Having said that, I agree Eric's character has hit the wall; there's nowhere for him to go that won't offend most of the fandom; ie, the "nomance" and/or the "bromance".

BTW, cerebral hemorrahage from a simple fall is a quite common cause of death.

13. Theresa

Theresa Lab Technician

Not entirely true. The fans spoke and indicated they preferred Eric over Jesse. CBS responded to the feedback. You can be assured that if Eddie had done a better job with his character, and the fans had fallen in love with him, Adam would not have been allowed to return.

14. Turbidblue

Turbidblue Witness

I still don't know why they couldn't have kept them both for a while, I'm going to miss Jesse but pretty happy with having Delko back as long as they develop his character and let him grow up a little bit :lol:.

I thought the premiere was awesome and it totally are giving me hopes for the rest of the season!

15. Delynn

Delynn CSI Level One

That is the story from TPTB and Rodriguez. As with TPTB trying to say that E/C is what "every" fan wanted, I believe that was more hype then the total truth. I remind you that even Rodriguez admitted surprise at finding out about the large number fans who DON'T like E/C (must have been living under a rock for the past several years).

In reality, it takes very few fans to give the appearance of many when you have the Internet (which allows one person to use as many identities as they like). You also have TPTB trying to sell it (and requiring their actors to do so as well) because it makes great publicity for the show. The entertainment media jumps on board because it they don't they won't get an interview with the stars of the show.

Apparently CBS wanted Rodriguez back. Why I cannot fathom why, but it's done and those of us who don't like that character are stuck with him. It's natural that Jesse fans (who KNOW Jesse was killed off because Delko came back - we're not stupid) and fans who simply don't like Delko or believe there is no more life left in that character and therefore they killed the wrong character off, would not be happy about it.

And whether Eddie did a good job with Jesse is a matter of opinion. Considering the substandard writing he was given and the constant interference of Delko's character disrupting any chance for him to connect with the fans, I'd say he did an outstanding job! I, personally, find Rodriguez lacking in ability. To each his own.

Those who didn't like Eddie/Jesse and resented him coming on to the show from the beginning weren't going to cut him any slack and give him a chance. If Rodriguez had left and meant it, like Rory did, maybe the campaign against Eddie/Jesse would have died a natural death like the campaigns against most new characters on an established show.

We'll never know.