The Last Movie You Saw - Thread 4

Discussion in 'General TV & Media' started by SunsetBoulevard, May 4, 2010.

1. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Daybreakers- a little slow at the beginning, but once it speeds up, it's pretty good. Very unique twist to the normal vampire storylines. :)

2. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

We finally went and saw "INCEPTION", OMG, it was just awful, horrible, one of the worst movies ever.. A dream thief who enters the mind, while a person is dreaming to steal their secrets WHY?
    what was the purpose, the point or what message did it send. It was ridiculous, so discombobulated, nor rhyme nor reason. Leonardo was as always fantastic [he was better in "SHUTTER ISLAND"] he was running around doing off-the-wall stuff that didn't make any sense, and who were these people? and what the hell did "INCEPTION" mean, it never said????? and how many times did his wife die. She jumped off a building, but was still alive, he shot her, she was still alive. Nothing made any sense at all A sci-fi-,fantasy, action film. I can't stand explosions, many were in it, car chases, many.. and shoot-outs..many :brickwall: So nothing was clear or "oh, this is why he's doing it" never. The graphics and special effects were phenomenal. But it should have been called "Dumb & Dumber". The people that sat in front of us, left mid-way in the film The husband goes "I can't stand anymore of this crap? let's go" the woman looked at me and shrugged her shoulders. The ending was also like WHAT?. We were both beyond disappointed and so let down:( I give this movie a BIG F it was just absurd~

Last edited: Aug 7, 2010
  3. SunsetBoulevard

SunsetBoulevard moderator.exe Moderator

Desertwind, your reply has been edited because your review contained a lot of the movie plot. Please be more careful next time. Thank you.

4. Finch

Finch Funnier in Enochian Super Moderator

From what I got from the movie, the message was to question our concept of reality and how concrete it truly is, based on our perceptions. I find that intriguing as a viewer, but I can understand how some don't.

If you're refering to the guys that were after Leo and his crew, they were projections of the target's subconscious. I guess it was supposed to be a physical representation. *shrugs*

When his wife jumped off the building, I think that was supposed to represent her real death (at least at that point in the movie, when we were led to believe that reality truly was reality in that scene). When he shot her, he was shooting a projection of his own subconscious. I think they said something earlier in the movie that his own subconscious was sabotaging the mission.

Another example that it all depends on one's interpretation of the film, lol. It was sort of open-ended - in my eyes - so that the audience could form their own conclusions about what they had just seen during the 2-hour and some movie. It seemed pretty similar to methods used in The Matrix, Shutter Island (awesome movie, by the way), etc. I don't even think the writer of the movie had all the answers and it's relatively realistic to expect that we won't always understand someone's motivations and have the answer wrapped up in a bow for us. I can definitely understand how some didn't get it or didn't like it, but I thought it was a neat movie. Though, I tend to enjoy psychological action/thrillers anyhow.

So, I give it a B+. :p The movie probably could have been shorter; felt that it dragged on a bit near the end.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2010
  5. Desertwind

Sorry If I gave away too much Sunset I actually didn't give away the ending, and Finch everything if life is subject to intepretation that's for sure. But I don't put the "The Matrix" [and I adore LF] and "Shutter Island" in the same category. One was sci-fi and one was to me realistic. I did praise the visual effects, stunning. It's just not my guy's and my cup of tea, so to speak. To each ones own right? I loved "Revolutionary Road" "The Reader " [Kate Winslet was incredible, won an Oscar] and "Invictus" all stellar movies to me. I didn't mean to offend anyone, I thought this thread was to post our critical reviews of all movies, good, bad or indifferent:confused:

6. Finch

Finch Funnier in Enochian Super Moderator

You didn't offend me. You gave your interpretation of the movie, I gave mine. It's a discussion board, afterall, not a blog -- so people are bound to quote you and give their take on what you mentioned. ;) I have no problem that you didn't like the movie; there were parts I didn't like too.

About 'The Matrix' and 'Shutter Island'...just because one is sci-fi and one is based in reality
    (though in 'Shutter Island', the main character wasn't exactly bound to reality for 90% of the movie and we were viewing most of it from his perspective)
    , doesn't mean they can't have overlapping themes. But I do understand where you're coming from regarding both films.

Like you said, to each his/her own. :)

Last edited: Aug 6, 2010
  7. MacsLady

MacsLady CSI Level Two

'Green Zone' - with Matt Damon. Damon plays Chief Roy Miller, a Chief Warrant Officer in Iraq shortly after the 2003 invasion. He and his team are tasked with hunting down WMD. Which keep not appearing at the sites they're supposed to be at. Miller begins to question the validity of the intelligence about the WMD, and it's source, known as 'Magellan', as well as hunting down a high ranking official named Rawi, rumoured to be one of Saddam's top guys, but who may be more than he seems.

A good movie, and it has Matt Damon in it, which is always a good thing, but not as good as The Hurt Locker.
    The basic point of the movie was: there were no WMD in Iraq, the intelligence was manufactured by suspicious dudes in suits, and the American government either knew the intelligence was false, or didn't go out of it's way to check said intelligence. This, of course, is all true, and the movie makes a good point about how the reasons we go to war are always important. It also makes the point that the Iraqi military should never have been disbanded, and this move led in large part to the insurgency. It also made the point that the dumb/selfish/outright corrupt decisions made by the American administration led to the death of American soldiers and innocent Iraqis. All of that stuff is important, but it's also hardly shocking. We KNOW there were no WMD in Iraq. We KNOW disbanding the Army was a stupid decision.
    Hurt Locker was much better.

'Hart's War' with Colin Farrell and Bruce Willis. Set towards the end of WW2. Farell is a lieutenant who has spent most of the war far behind the lines. He's driving a superior officer somewhere when they get ambushed and taken prisoner. He gets taken to a German POW camp. Bruce Willis plays a colonel who is also a prisoner at the camp. When two black lieutenants turn up at the camp, they are the victims of racism from many of the soldiers in the camp. When one of the racist soldiers is murdered, and one of the black lieutenants is found near him, the Germans want to shoot him, but Willis's character persuades them to hold a court martial instead. As Farrell's character was at law school before the war, he's appointed to be the lieutenant's defence lawyer. But there is more to the Colonel's motives in asking for the court martial than it seems at first. A great film, a mix of war film, legal thriller, and murder mystery.

8. Desertwind

"FLED" from 1996. A movie I've never heard of, but we found it on an L.A. station. It stars the magnificent Laurence Fishburne, [he's so "hott", handsome and sexy in this] and Steven Baldwin, and Salma Hayek, [who look's the same now as she did then] beautiful. It's beginning was a bit like "Deliverance", the old movie with Burt Reynolds and Jon Voit. Without giving away the whole plot, it starts with those above mentioned on a road camp work with other prison imates. A fight starts with the above mentioned stars and the guards chain them together. They can't stand one another. Another brawl begins and while the guards are involved in that these two slip away into the woods. One moment while on the run Piper [LF] sits and plays the harmonica. Another thing he can do and good, he plays the blues. They hi-jack Salma, and she takes them back to her house. The connection between Piper and her is intense. The eye contact sizzling. He's a rough, tough guy, but with her soft, sweet and gentle:p They kiss 3 times in this movie. [very juicy] showing his tender romantic side. I won't reveal the plot,
    is an undercover cop, looking for a stolen disc that has Mafia info on it, his co-hort Baldwin is involved
    but if you see this it's a good movie. Whatever LF plays in, he's so believable and convincing. Some actors aren't. He's very authorative, and that deep seductive voice appealing. I love finding flicks that I haven't seen, so this was a real treat:bolian:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0116320

Last edited: Aug 9, 2010
  9. BabaOReilly

BabaOReilly Head of the Swing Shift Premium Member

I finally watched Gran Torino the other night, and it was pretty decent. I know Clint couldn't find Hmong actors, so he had to use non-actors, but still... there were times when the lack of acting skills was a little distracting. I liked the story, though.

10. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

I'm watching "Shutter Island" right now. Blech.

ETA: It used to be I could watch a movie and figure out what was going to happen before it did happen. Now, I can watch the whole damn movie and still not know what the hell happened.

Last edited: Aug 9, 2010
  11. MakeTracksCowboy

MakeTracksCowboy CSI Level One

Citizen Kane- i finally got around to watching this movie and to my surprise it wasn't bad at all. i put off on watching this b/c it didn't look that great but i liked it it was a very good story and it was brilliantly filmed. this movie is considered the first Noir film for its camera angles and kind of dark story.

Inception- i LOVED this movie. i saw it and wanted to stay for the next screening. Leonardo Dicaprio was brilliant he is such a great actor. Ellen Page was so good. Joseph Gordon- Levitt was also very good. Marion Colltiard was amazing, she's one of the best actresses in the movies right now. i saw her in "La Vie En Rose" and since then she has done nothing but amaze me. my friend who had up to this movie never seen Colltiard in a movie and even she said the actresses was so good she almost stole the movie.

Dial M For Murder- a Hitchcock movie from the 50s. very well done as always. this movie is based off a play of the same title. the whole movie takes place in this small apartment but everything moves so well and the characters and actors are so good you don't feel caustrophobic with the setting. Grace Kelly was excellent as the intended victim. i love her clothes in this movie they were so nice.

12. GregNickRyanFan

Just got back from seeing "The Expendables". That movie is awesome! Action packed pretty much all the way through. 4 stars and two :thumbsup::thumbsup:.

13. BabaOReilly

^^^ You know, I almost don't want to see The Expendables just because of all the dickhead comments Stallone has been making the last few weeks... but up until the PR tour, I totally wanted to see it, even though it was pretty much for all the other actors in it. I'm a long time Bruce fan, and I love Jason Statham. Jet Li is cool too, and I'm curious to see Dolph after all these years.

To make a long post short, I am still probably seeing this movie! :lol:

14. GregNickRyanFan

What comments? The only one I know of is Stallone saying he was intimidated to be in a scene with Arnold Schwarzenegger.

Watched "The Losers" last night. It was pretty good. Although
    I kind of hate that the bad guy got away in the end lol.

15. BabaOReilly

He's been slamming the "new" action movie- i.e CGI, padded suits, etc. He said it all went downhill with the first Batman movie when Michael Keaton wore the padded/sculpted suit. He made some comment that had he known that, he could have saved all that time at the gym. All I could think was, "Yeah, but then he would have had to learn how to act!" :lol: Also, seemed hypocritical when he was busted a few years back in Australia for having performance enhancing drugs with him.

Also- liked The Losers, but could do without Zoe Saldana. Don't know what all the fuss is about her? Love Chris Evans and Jeffrey Dean Morgan though! Could have been a better film, but it was still decent.