CSI:NY Season 6 Spoiler Discussion - This City Never Sleeps

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Faylinn, Apr 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ghawazee

Ghawazee CSI Level Three

If she gets individual episodes then it will be ok. However if these writers start the DL party fest again then it will be pathetic enough :/

2. Maya316

Maya316 Lab Technician

^200% agreed...

Who suggested that? I don't think it's ever been Stella who's been eating up screentime for anyone else; imo, that has way more to do with TPTB's priorities than anything else. But it's been suggested tons of times before here that a shifting cast would clear up screentime for other members of the cast, so that's what I'm going on. Unless, of course, they spend the majority of it on integrating Sela Ward's character into the show (much like they did with Jesse Cardoza on Miami last season), in which case there'll definitely be problems. I liked Jesse, but could see where people might get annoyed with him.

3. JoeyDC

JoeyDC Rookie

I wish Melina all the best. She's a wonderful actress, and won't be forgotten. I was sad in the beginning, but I do understand her decision. Although I liked the actress, I wasn't very fond of the dominant character Stella and all the whining that she should finally get together with Mac. Well, that's finally over LOL.

CSI:NY is really the best of all three, and I hope Sela Ward will harmonize with the whole cast like Melina did. Let's give her a chance.

I hope that season 7 goes back to its origins though and won't be another bad soap opera like season 6. I want many more CSI:NY seasons to come since I don't wanna imagine not being able to see the incredibly talented Eddie weekly on screen anymore!!!

4. Lori K.

Lori K. Pathologist

When you said you look forward to seeing more of the others I interpreted that to mean you feel with Melina gone they will get more "air time". I do not watch Miami nor much CSI LV (old reruns of this I do) so I dont know who this Jesse Cardoza person is. I will leave that to you since you are the more knowledgeable on this topic. But how else can they give Mac a "right hand man" so to speak without drenching the viewrship with introduction? They cant just "pick up" where Stella left off, but of course with there writing track record they may just do that. I hope not, because it will be an insult to viewers as they have been insulting our intelligience for many a month now.

Who said it is over!!! It will never be over!!! :lol:

5. Maya316

Maya316 Lab Technician

With anyone gone, the ones left will necessarily get more airtime -- or at least, that's certainly been my understanding of things this past year. That's hardly the same as saying no one else got much screentime because of Stella, and if I implied that, I didn't mean to.

It seems dumb to hope at this point, but all the same: it's possible Mac's new partner may be integrated the same way I think Yelina Salas on CSI: Miami was -- she was the right-hand-man for years, but didn't take much time away from the other characters.

6. Lori K.

Lori K. Pathologist

Well misunderstanding aside how can there be more screen time if the character slot is being filled? I guess it will all be in the way they write because even with the rotation thing they did last year there wasnt much of Adam and Sid at all IMO.

At this point who knows what is going on, alot of scrambling I suspect. I think it is more to do with the writing then the amount of characters. Last year we got alot more Sheldon then normal, the year before alot more D/L. I think they would be wise to go back to the two story/plot scenerio and less matchmaking and concentrating on personal relationships to the point of gaging. BTW Nothing "dumb" about hoping!:)

7. Maya316

Maya316 Lab Technician

Agreed :lol: Part of me thinks the whole "empty-character-slot = more screentime" thing could be BS -- even if half the original cast was cleared out, if the writers and TPTB are still set on creating a one-man or one-theme show, there's not much that'll change in terms of screentime. I can understand scrambling to get things organized, especially with these new changes ... but from S1-S5, CSI:NY did great with a main cast of 6-7 people, plus a regularly-recurring detective, plus a fairly-steady rotation of lab techs, department officials, and at one point during S2, two separate MEs. Imo, they need to get back to that format if things are going to be balanced again. I definitely agree about the two-case episodes -- I know I keep saying this, but I really feel like that would be the first place to start.

ETA: Don't even get me started on how CSI:LV (for the most part, at least till this summer) seemed to function well with an entire secondary team of lab techs. But LV's been doing two-case episodes for a while now.

8. perlnoir

perlnoir Pathologist

source: TV.com

First photo promo
    It's Sela Ward who begin !!!

[​IMG]

9. Flack-Angell

Flack-Angell Rookie

I'm sure she's a good actress, but the stylists have to do something about her hairstyle! :scream: It's horrible!

10. nel2h

nel2h CSI Level One

Sela is 54 years old, thus a ripe woman. She will want to walk around especially in this position in CSI NY not like a teenager.

11. Elwood21

Elwood21 Pathologist

...:vulcan::rommie::rommie:

erm, ...why yes, yes of course, that was my first reaction and worry for the quality of the show in the face of recent news too... :lol::p.

Sorry, it's just how that was phrased caught me sideways a tad :p. (I do get whatcha mean. I dunno what the promo shot was from. Not necessarily indicative of her current style, nor of what the character will look like :)).

I was worried we might get some default, frivolous, type casting. I'm relieved. Ward is talented. She's so far from a lightweight in the quality she can bring; in a way I'm surprised and impressed NY has been able to sign her and that she wants to come on board. I'm not worried about a haircut. She's gorgeous, I'm sure she'll look great on the show :p. I'm just glad they've found someone of her caliber to join. I think NY is very lucky, has done very well. MK leaving will impact the show. It could have been disastrous. Stella was one of a kind and will be missed. Changes the team, effects them all personally, especially Mac. But therein also lies potential, not just loss. I hope Ward's character is just as strongly individual. NY has potentially dodged a proverbial nail in what was an increasingly anonymous pine box and scored a coup here, I think. It all will inevitably alter the tone of the show; however, this hugely pleasant surprise in terms of new casting gives it a great shot of being the better for it.

I am very much looking forward to season seven, if curious about one or two wee things.

How are they gonna deal with the transition in the middle of a cliff-hanger?

Will they do better by way of supporting the introduction of a new character with Ward's Washington Empath than they did with KayHaylen Becallisullivan?

For that matter... now I'm suddenly intrigued as to what name they'll settle on for her, once they finish throwing darts at their reference books :lol:

Are they gonna toss her into the mix immediately or wait until the bruha of Shane Casey is over?

Scenario I really reeeeeally hope we don't see? During yet another infuriating escape, Shane grievously wounds one of teh DL coupling, cos we need more pithy DL drama, does indeed kid-nap toddler Lucy (who could well be eight years old by the time September rolls around), MK does get a very brief return for an Exit consisting of partaking in the chase and show-down with our slippery psycho and goes down in the ensuing battle, either dying or afterward tossing her badge into Mac's coffee grinds and leaving to ease a tired soul travelling her ancestral homelands. Either way, the whole team is shattered, making a really raw and overwhelming dynamic for the Empath to enter into, who suddenly has second thoughts, and much of the season wallows. Do not want. Wouldn't mind a way of somehow integrating Forest Rangers.

I dunno how they're gonna handle the transition. I really hope the Casey/DL follow-thru is wrapped up toute suite, and S7 essentially starts off with a clean slate.

I think LV has always been the most consistent in the quality of their structure and storytelling. They've had their own issues for balance, but I've generally been impressed with how material's been spread out. I think you're right regarding how 2-case episodes could help NY. It's like NY has a succumbed to a certain analog linearity that hampers it, makes it predictable and suffering for mallets and filler.

I know some people have had issues with the character related material in episodes. I still think there's room for it; but I think if the cases & puzzles were stronger, that the character stuff wouldn't stand out, it would feel more integrated and cohesive. It's always been a balance between the two that I've hoped for, and when done well, what I think made the show stand out. But if either component suffers, then it does stand the chance of overwhelming the other. I think the finale was an example of that. I think the case and the chase wasn't strong enough to balance the DL premise and focus, and that bringing back an uber villain without using his menace as successfully as in the past, made the "criminal" side of the show feel incidental at best. I think Pay Up was stronger in that regard, it had a life changing event for Flack, it was also mostly a chase, but it was still all centred around a case where unravelling it felt more substantial and less foregone (also one that they'd managed to build up across previous episodes as well).

Plz S7. Cliff-hanger? Do not care. Wrap it up. Not even the possibility of a Casey OMFGEvil moment holds much interest. How all the new puzzle pieces will fit together, and the opportunities to be found within a certain new freedom available in moving forward, that holds interest.

12. csinynut

csinynut Hit and Run

You know what !

They'll probably go with the "a month later" thing. Everything has been resolved. Stella has gone to greener pastures, Shane Casey is dead and the little family is safe and...happy !!! And Boom ! the new character is there already in a lab coat.

That would be the easy way out, i sure hope they don't go that route. But they've done it before.

13. Lori K.

Lori K. Pathologist

Only with D/L they DRENCH us with it!:rolleyes::lol:
    The beginning of the season was suppose to be I thought a continuation of Flack but D/L took over (of course )and now they finish up the season with D/L dribble. I think the writers think D/L is like there "Ace in the hole" but after the last two seasons they have shoved them down our throats and have made both characters unpalatable. Now if they can conjure another "Yahrzeit" I might be interested.:)

Last edited: Jul 16, 2010
  14. Grissom rules

Grissom rules CSI Level Two

Is it official that Peyton will return next season?

15. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

I wonder if they've already given Sela's character a name.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.