What Do You Think About Eddie Cibrian's Departure? *spoilers*

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by baybeehannah, Jun 17, 2010.

1. baybeehannah

baybeehannah Witness

What up, I just wanted 2 know what all of you guys think about Eddie's departure and the way he will get taken off, I decided to make this thread so you could put your comments about it on here and not on other threads that are meant to be about other people which I have noticed, so enjoy (If you can) the new thread.

2. mjszud

mjszud Captain

Re: CSI Miami - What Do You Think About Eddie Cibrian's Departure?

I knew a departure would come for someone -- I'm not shocked that it's Cibrian, but I am disappointed by the news. I wasn't into his character much but it's a shame he was brought in and out this way -- we all know exactly why this happened & imo it's a bit unfair; I wish something else could have been worked out to save the "fresh blood".

I wish Eddie the best of luck in his career, & I'll look for him in future projects.

3. Ninja0980

Ninja0980 Police Officer

Not shocked at all. You knew the minute Adam was brought back someone would have to go... and Eddie seemed like an obvious choice. Personally, I wish they would have kept him to see how he would have gelled with the rest of the cast.

4. Delynn

Delynn CSI Level One

Yeah, it was pretty much a given when it was announced that Rodriguez had been hired back.

It really is too bad. Cibrian displayed excitement and positive attitude in interviews and a new addition brings to the show. He and Omar both have brought a really refreshing new energy and blood to the show.

And I don't believe he was ever really given a chance. The negativity and hostility was loud, long and rampant from the minute his inclusion in the cast was announced because it was believed he was replacing Eric. (I, personally, was thrilled at the thought he might be replacing Eric!) And Eric popping annoyingly in and out all season long really help Jesse to establish himself.

His character was pleasant and professional. And while they brought him in much too strong at the start he finally settled nicely. He and Walter both really gave us a brief opportunity to see a "team" again.

And so we lose an adult, professional, charismatic character in favor of what? Never mind ... :scream:

I too wish Eddie all the best and will be watching for future projects so I can support them.

5. Delquesne

Delquesne Prime Suspect

As I said in the "News" section of the forum, I never really got invested enough in the character of Jesse to like or dislike him. To me, was just kind of "there." So I can't say that I'll miss the character. IMO, Eddie's portrayal of Jesse was a tad wooden, and he didn't really breathe enough life into the character to truly get me to care about him or his story arc. [​IMG] And on top of that, there seemed to be a bit of a "Jesse overload" early on in Season 8, at the expense of several veteran cast-members. I think that it's a wise move for TPTB to put the focus back on developing the core characters. For example, I'd like to see Horatio play a more "humanized" role next season, as well as some meaty storylines for other veteran members of the team, like Ryan and Natalia.

Besides, the silver lining in all of this is that this news makes it unlikely that any other main cast-members won't "get up" in next season's premiere. Unless CBS is planning a major overhaul of the entire cast/show (and we have no indications thus far that this is the case), I think that it's pretty safe to say that the remaining core team-members will be safe.:thumbsup:

6. hiphugger17

hiphugger17 Coroner

I agree 100% with this. I don't think I'm even going to notice him gone. There wasn't much in his character to make me want to know and care more. It's not that I dislike him, I just have no feeling toward him. He is just there. So I'm not glad and excited his leaving because his departure or stay do very little to me.

This I'm excited about. Especially for Calleigh. I'm not 100% sure they are all safe (CBS is just pulling a lot of stuff out of it's hat and it's mostly not good) but I'm more optimistic.

7. Court

Court Prime Suspect

I agree with you 100 percent. I liked Jesse and thought Eddie brought a great dynamic to the show. But the Sword of Damocles was kind of always hanging over his head. Guess the sword has officially fallen and personally I think it sucks. I would've much rather watched him than certain ... other ...characters. :shifty:

At least it wasn't Ryan, Walter or Natalia - so far. At this point, I wouldn't put anything past TPTB. :rolleyes:

R.I.P. Jesse, we hardly knew you. :(

8. Blinded By Smoke

Blinded By Smoke Pathologist

I'm still in shock. I don't know WHY. Maybe because if someone left, I thought it'd be someone else. They had plans for Jesse... I have the CBS Watch magazine to prove it... (lol). Seriously. I like Jesse better than Walter or Tom... but that's just me. I DO love Walter as well, but I don't get how they can off Eddie and say they want to 'focus on the core cast' and keep Omar in the process. THe logic makes no sense. :confused: I understand keeping Tom, we have to have an ME... but still. I have to admit I'm nervous, though I don't think they'd kill anyone else off. Someone (on another site) said Ryan (who will be in his seventh season) and Nat(who will be in her sixth) weren't part of the core team. (?!?!) SO we're going to have a show that focuses on Horatio, Eric, and Calleigh?! (OH WAIT, we do... to the last two. :lol: )

ANYWAY.. That being said, if they really DO want to focus on the CORE team, (which regardless to what some say is Horatio, Calleigh, Eric, Ryan, Natalia, and Frank...) THEN good for them. They need to do THAT. They need to show team work, and interaction, through out every episode. They have zero excuses for lazy writing, or sloppy messes. They will be in their 9th season, moving to Sunday nights on top of it... It's time to step it up! You bring back Adam, you USE him. Don't make it all about him and someone ELSE. Let's bring back the OLD Calleigh, and the OLD Ryan without tinkering. How about an in-depth story for Natalia, Ryan, and Frank. One that reflects them in a positive light.

If I look at his departure like THAT, I feel better. The only thing is, I don't have faith in TPTB for all of that. They'll dumb down Ryan, push Natalia aside, 'use' Frank once more. And it's getting old. FAST.

And no more humor with the Three Musketeers.... :( That was my favorite thing!!! They were awesome together. Unlike any other trio on TV. That's one reason I am glad (or hope!) Walter stays. Ryan has a real friend. Unlike any other season. But I won't get into that!

All in all, bitter/sweet he's leaving. I liked him, A LOT, but if he really is leaving to focus on the core TEAM rather than just 'two' of them, then yeah. I can deal. If not, then I want him back and I'd say kick AR to the curb! :lol:

9. CSI-AJ

CSI-AJ Lab Technician

I had no problems with Jesse Cardoza/Eddie Cibrian and wasn't bothered at his screen time whether it was more or less. He along with Omar Miller and Christian Clemenson breathed new life into the show and made this season worthwhile.

For those reasons above, it's a downer that he got punted

10. silentdisco

silentdisco Police Officer

Eh, I'm fairly neutral about it. If the second half of the season was like the first, in which I felt there was too much focus on Jesse, then I'd be much more enthusiastic about his departure. But they toned him down quite a bit, so his presence was less aggravating to me. So if they continued that way in Season 9, had Eddie Cibrian been confirmed for it, then I wouldn't have minded.

I am looking forward to how they will have the team deal with his departure. Losing people, both to death and career change, is an unfortunate reality for the members of the CSI team. I see a good opportunity for the remaining colleagues to develop a more tight-knit relationship.

11. CSIMandy

CSIMandy Lab Technician

I know there was talk about someone not returning for Season 9 but I had no idea it would be Eddie. I hate that he is not returning, I was enjoying the new additions to the cast and was hoping no one would have to leave

12. snowbunny

snowbunny Hit and Run

I'm happy that they didn't kill off a long standing character, and yes I do think of Ryan, Natalia and Frank as part of the core cast, and I would rather not have them sacrificed for the sake of a new character. I never really got into Jesse and I don't really care that he won't be back. I'm just hoping that the writing is better next season, there's less drama for E/C and Ryan, Natalia and Frank get a nice juicy story arc. I also think that by getting rid of Cibrien they are just continuing to undo the mess they made last year by kicking Adam to the curb. At least they have learned from their mistakes.

13. city hunter

city hunter Rookie

With Adam Rodriguez being back full time I knew someone would have to leave, I'm not surprised that is Eddie Cibrian.
    I'm disapointed! I liked Jesse, he was an interesting character.

14. Naomi

Naomi Victim

Just read about this on E! news, and, to be blunt, I couldn't care less that Eddie's leaving the show. I've never been a fan of Cibrian's "acting" skills. I'm the furthest thing from an E/C shipper that you'll ever find (I'm against romances on crime shows in general), but I like Eric as an individual character (and Calleigh also), and I'd take him over one-note Jesse any day. CSI Miami turned into the "Jesse & Walter" show at the beginning of the eighth season, and having Jesse in particular shoved down my throat completely turned me off. Thank goodness next season the focus will be back on the core cast-members like Horatio (who was severely neglected in season 8, in my opinion), Ryan, Frank and Natalia.

15. Finch

Finch Funnier in Enochian Super Moderator

I'm extremely disappointed --especially since Ann Donahue (why do I keep listening to her?) stated that she wanted to develop Jesse for seasons to come. So this makes me think that the decision was pretty recent and it has to do with CBS' shakeup on other shows (CSI, Criminal Minds).

Honestly, I would have prefered if Calleigh went (since Emily stated that she wants to have a family and concentrate on her interior design business). And also, given the character's repeated lung issues (they don't just go away lickety split like that, PTB :rolleyes:), it would have made the most sense. It just seems like giving the newer people a fighting chance might help to keep the show fresh. Now I feel like we're going backwards.

Why exactly does Eddie have to leave over Omar or Christian? Is it because Eddie had a larger salary and thus the cut would ensure nobody else has to go or because this show can't possibly have two Cubans in the same building? The humanity. That said, I love all three actors and would rather none of the new characters left. :/ Like I've said elsewhere, it was great while it lasted.

ETA: baybeehannah, I modified the title of the thread a tad to add a spoiler warning. :) That way, those who don't wish to know any specific plot details can avoid this thread.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2010