Dislike A Miami Character?

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by Finch, May 28, 2010.

1. CRM

CRM Prime Suspect

Calleigh. That ballistics room is enough to make me wanna puke after seeing it a looonngg tttiimmeee. I get it: You're the bullet girl! I'm surprised that not one suspect ever call out or mock her bedroom trying-too-hard-not-to-sound-Southern high-pitched voice.

I wish that the guy who lost his wife would come back and sue Calleigh for accusing his dead wife of driving drunk when she wasn't even! And after the way Calleigh paraded the wife's eyeball around Walter, whom I first found annoying. Even she and Eric just stood there when the girl was dying from the poisoned lip gloss, and then Eric is back after one of his last interrogation end up with the poor guy dying from poisoned restaurant food and Eric still gave him a hard time. Why are they still in the show, I'd never know! I don't care much about Ryan nor Natalia, though!

2. Grissom rules

Grissom rules CSI Level Two

I don't like Jesse that much.His acting isn't good(probably the worst actor in the show)and I wouldn't mind if he isn't coming back next season(although I think he has a contract).I didn't care about his storyline with his wife murder too.I think his character was introduced very quickly in the show and he should have less screentime.

3. Jag Lady

Jag Lady Lab Technician

I have to agree. I think he's kind of bland; plus the writers tried to push him into a big storyline in his first season (LA). It was obvious to me since his "shirtless" scene in hostile takeover that he was meant to be a sex object and a placeholder for Eric. Nothing more, nothing less.

I've spoken my piece about Eric and Calleigh in the last few seasons in the E/C thread, so I won't repeat myself.

4. Ajbuckly

Ajbuckly Lab Technician

Does writers and handling of characters in general count?;)

5. Solitaire

Solitaire CSI Level Two

^ definitely.
    Calleigh used to be one of my favourite characters. She was strong and professional. She knew her own mind and you wouldnt want to mess with her, but at the same time she was caring and supporting. So a very good character. Unfortunately from season 5 the character, imo was handled badly. The writers seemed to think that the only way to treat her was to put her in constant danger- to show how 'strong' she was. Problem was it only made her seem cold. They didnt give her any meaningful development from these constant near death experiences. Nothing changed in her character, then it was time for another drama.
    So if they had kept the character closer to the original, and then gave her some decent dramatic scenes (like the earlier ones with her Dad) that didnt repeat the same theme over and over I wouldnt be so disappointed with the character.
    I dont dislike Calleigh, but I dont particularly like her all that much. And from being one of my favourites..............

6. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

I don't really dislike any of the characters persay. More like I hate some of the things they do/say. :lol: The only characters I can say that I absolutely 100% hate are some of the villians (most really but that's a given lol) and ones like Erica Sykes. :lol:

7. Delynn

Delynn CSI Level One

Care to provide a few more details other then just your unsupported, one word assessment of Ryan? A reason would go a long way in helping others to understand your VERY harsh statement.

And yes, I'm a huge Ryan fan. ;)

8. redanemone

redanemone Rookie

don't know if this has been mentioned yet. I wouldn't say I hate or even dislike her character but Emily Procter blinks. A lot. every scene she's in she seems to blink a ridiculous amount. didn't notice it at first but with the increasing focus on E/C i really started to see it. and she's done it for awhile it seems. especially during serious moments, i end up more distracted by her eyes than anything she says.

9. inthewind

inthewind CSI Level Two

I commented early in this thread of my opinion of Calleigh 2010 so we won't go there.
    On another topic, after one season of 24 episodes, I find absolutely no interest in the character of Jesse Cardoza.
    In my estimation, tptb have made Jesse simply a hunk, with no substance. Even his backstory flatlines. Every other character (even the newbies and the labrats) has a trait, or series of traits, that either endear them or put one off. Not so with Jesse. His existence is clearly intended to delight the 18-34 demo.

Note to tptb: I don't think the targeted demo group is delighted.

10. silentdisco

silentdisco Police Officer

Agreed completely.

Although, towards the latter end of the season, they did tone down the Jesse-focus quite a bit, and his presence on screen no longer annoys me. Sure, he's flat and unnecessary, but he's mostly neutral to me. I'm not sure if this change is temporary or permanent, but I sure hope it's here to stay.

I'm in the 18-34 demo, and yep, not exactly "delighted" with Jesse. :lol:

11. FieldMouse

FieldMouse Hub Master Moderator

This thread is to discuss reasons why you dislike a character, not just for name calling. If you think a character is an "arse", please use constructive criticism to explain why you think this.

As stated in the Board Rules:

12. CRM

CRM Prime Suspect

While, I am for people using constructive criticism and back up what they say negatively about a certain CSI character, I would like to know how creating multiple threads about how "hot" and "sexy" Ryan Wolfe/Jonathan Togo is considered constructive. While, also putting up pictures of him shirtless, with his mom, or whatever pictures clearly taken from other websites, even from Jonathan's supposed Privately-set Facebook account. That's acceptable?

I think that I would be getting some negative responses, given that there are some girls from other CSI websites who would go out of the way to defend Jonathan/Ryan. Best of luck defending him with other reasons other than he's hot or sexy. Or that you are a huge fan.

13. Delynn

Delynn CSI Level One

Actually, I only see one thread devoted to Jonathan Togo/Ryan Wolfe. The content, if unacceptable, would have been changed at the direction of the moderators. It is apparently acceptable at this time - thankfully!

Ryan Wolfe is a very interesting character with a great deal of appeal. He is a flawed character who is constantly striving to do the right thing and learn from his mistakes. I'm delighted each and every time he is allowed to shine and I do hope the Rodriguez' comments about Togo deserving a really good story are taken to heart by TPTB. He's right!

He is portrayed by an exceptionally talented actor, Jonathan Togo. Jon has consistantly shown Ryan to be an intelligent, committed and caring member of the team. The rare instances when the script has provided him with really good material (WISC, Nailed, Going Ballistic/Resurrection, Time Bomb, are just a few - too few in my opinion), he's knocked it out of the park each time.

It's obvious he's not a favorite of yours, but your method of indicating that is a little combative and harsh, don't you think? :confused:

=====================

I personally find Calleigh to be my least favorite character. And I've actually been wondering lately if my intense dislike of that character is directly connected how in the first and second seasons I felt polar opposite to how I feel about her now.

I used to absolutely adore Calleigh. But the character I see now isn't the Calleigh that I found so easy to invest in. The journey over the past 4 seasons as this amazing character was destroyed, pieces by piece, until we have this current version of Calleigh (someone I call the "Evil Twin"), who doesn't resemble in any way the professional woman with strength, credibility and integrity I was introduced to in the first season at all, has been very painful to watch.

She used to be everyone's friend. She was committted and caring. Finding the truth, no matter where it lead, was always her focus.

I don't begrudge the character a personal life. Nor do I begrudge her a boyfriend.

What I do object to is her choice to become involved with a subordinate. Her choice to subvert her morals and her integrity to cover for her boyfriend's inadaquacies and incompetence. Her choice to cut away from the "team" and create her own team that was exclusive to she and her boyfriend. Her choice to be harsh, cold and distant with everyone but her boyfriend.

And one day maybe we'll find out the reason that Horatio and Calleigh didn't speak to, or acknowlege each other even existed, for a couple of seasons. For two people who used to be good friends and had an amazing working chemistry - that was a real hard thing to wrap my head around. That chemistry is gone and watching them interact now is more painful than enjoyable.

I also have no respect or any real postive feelings for Eric. He runs second to Calleigh as my least favorite character. Any guy that would use his girlfriend to protect him when he is screwing up does not deserve respect. He is complicit in Calleigh's moral decay. He encouraged her to read the private, personal medical files without a warrant - just because he gave her permission to read his file doesn't mean he had the right to give permission for every other patient!

Horatio deserves honorable mention for not stomping on those two at the start and seeing exactly what Calleigh was doing with her protection - and because I think Eric's sense of "entitlement" that makes him feel that he isn't responsible for anything he does - just let someone else keep cleaning up his messes - comes from Horatio as well as Calleigh.

Eric has an elevated sense of himself and his place and authority in the world that is rivaled only by the worst spoiled 2 year old. It's not all about him and he doesn't have the authority to throw all the rules out the window just to get what he wants.

His treatment of Ryan is simply inexcusable. Especially when I feel if you added it up Eric is just as big a screwup, and in actuality maybe a bigger screwup, than Ryan. An individual was killed because Eric's stolen badge was used to get an advantage. It was stolen because of his irresponsible actions ("toothing" - no respect for women or himself). And that's only the beginning of his infractions. He has no right to judge Ryan or anyone else - ever!

His treatment of women in general is inmature and disrespectful. Telling Ryan he was "cleared for landing" with Natalia? What lowlife, inmature child talks about a woman who has done nothing to him like that? Natalia is a decent woman who thought they had a chance at a good relationship. (IMO, that combination had much more chemistry and passion then E/C ever has.) She didn't deserve that anymore that Natalia deserved Jesse standing her up. Eric is very lucky that Natalia is a forgiving, caring person and Natalia is lucky she didn't get any more involved with Eric than she did.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2010
  14. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Once a thread reaches 1,000 posts, a new thread is started. And it's not just that way for Jon/Ryan either. It's the same all over the site for ALL threads (not just the actor ones, but also spoiler threads, games threads, etc). So, its not multiple threads about one subject rather, each thread is an extension of the old one. :) Secondly, just because thread titles often have the word "hot" or "sexy" in it, that doesn't mean that this is all the fans discuss. Never judge a book by its cover, or in this case, a thread by its title. :lol:
    Also, Jon/Ryan threads are not the only ones that have used those words in thread titles either.

Yes, exactly, Delynn. He has actually been referred to by many as "one of the most realistic characters on the show/on television" due in large part to those flaws. He sometimes has an internal battle within himself trying to decide which is the best way to handle a certain situation. How many of us have been in a situation where we feel like we're caught between a rock and a hard place? A type of situation where one has to play each scenario over in their head dozens of times to decide which is the least risky of the two or the lesser of the two evils, if you will. This is what we often see Ryan doing when he's caught in such a situation. He's a relatable character in many ways.

As for the Eric "cleared for landing" comment, I'm going to blame that one on the writers. It annoyed the heck out of me. I fully believe that Eric wouldn't have ever said that if he'd been written IN CHARACTER. :lol: These writers tend to mess with pretty much all of the characters' personalities quite a bit as if they can't decide what kind of personality they want someone to have. :lol: One minute a character is strong and independent and the next they are needy or whatever. This is something that the writers have to fix themselves. They can't have the characters' personalities jumping all over the place all the time. :lol:

15. Blinded By Smoke

Blinded By Smoke Pathologist

YES! Bravo. Exactly my thoughts. Jon is an excellent actor! He has amazing acting skills, and he is a joy to watch. Even when the writers do him wrongly, he takes what he has and runs with it. The mentioned episodes, are just the start of his talents. There are SO many more... Not to mention, he IS very realistic. A character I, for one, can surely relate too. He's someone who will, more than likely, do the RIGHT thing- quite often- for the wrong reasons. (Such as WISC. He shouldn't have been in that position to start with, but he took care of it in the only way he knew how to). He's often mistreated, judged wrongly, and has taken mental abuse from just about every character on the show at one point... That's why it's so refreshing to have Jesse and Walter on his side! I am looking forward to season 9. If it weren't for Jon, I wouldn't be watching this show, I have to be honest. And while yes, I do find him attractive (hot, whatever you want to call it!), it has absolutely NOTHING to do with why I love the character of Ryan Wolfe so much. I'm so intune with his emotions, and feelings... it drags me through it WITH him. Unlike any other CSI character.... Exactly why he's my favorite.

And that being said, Jon Togo is the master mind behind all of it. Which is why I'm a fan of his. But we won't get into discussing HIM, because this thread is about CHARACTERS, not actors, that we dislike. It would be wrong to bring any thing about his personal life up at all.

Also, I have to add, every character on every show has threads. There is a picture thread AND a thread to discuss Eric Szmanda/Greg Sanders- BOTH active at the same time. I don't see an issue with it. I don't see an issue with Jon/Ryan's discussion/photo sharing either....

/off the soap box!

Last edited: Jun 15, 2010