Mac Taylor's Love Life *SPOILERS*

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Apr 7, 2010.

?

Who do you want to see Mac Taylor with?

1. Aubrey Hunter

18 vote(s)
    15.3%
  2. Peyton Driscoll

9 vote(s)
    7.6%
  3. Stella Bonasera

66 vote(s)
    55.9%
  4. No one--Mac should stay single

12 vote(s)
    10.2%
  5. Mac can schtupp a couch for all I care

13 vote(s)
    11.0%
  1. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

*puts on agreeable hat*

exactly, i don't think it's necessarily always the content that's problematic but the way the content is arranged. i preferred the old 2-case format which allowed for much tighter case writing, because they had to be snappier, and avoided having too much airtime waiting to be filled, but still allowed enough for other things (like relationships of whatever kind) to be slotted in if they needed to be; i don't think anyone feels there wasn't enough of, say, frankie or peyton fitted in around the much more dominant csi bits, we were still able to get a grip on the dynamics of their relationships with stella/mac and see a bit of interaction, without it dominating the entire ep (obviously apart from in all access, but even then it was a 2 case ep, so it wasn't that dominant). i think there was enough to be able to know what was going on and get something of an insight into those personal things, without it feeling like filler or without feeling like it was being overblown to fill up dead space.

yeah i liked dunbrook - he was enough of a nemesis to give mac something to work with but different enough to, y'know, not be the killer which would've been far too obvious.
    yep, definitely agree. whatever happened to gillian anyway? i thought she was good, both in terms of it being interesting to have a character link to the DA's office, and in terms of it being a possible romance for mac, i think she could've worked well in either role really.

i agree, i'm not really a peyton fan but i never totally hated her (hey, she's from round where i live, i have to defend her a bit!) and i think her biggest problem was the writing - having her introduced in mac's bed right from the off was a huge mistake, it just gave her no scope whatsoever for development, she was only ever going to be "mac's girlfriend", regardless of how much she wanted to be the ME; also it probably put a lot of people off her in terms of "oh well who's that horrible woman getting her claws into mac?" kind of reactions (although i wonder if maybe that was kind of the point - that the audience were meant to have been as surprised by it as the rest of the lab were when they found out, but given that only danny actually seemed surprised, i doubt it) - i think the way aubrey's been introduced much more slowly is definitely in her favour; plus even despite her limited screen time she's shown more depth than peyton ever did (which again is probably down to the writers rather than claire forlani), peyton was in the bed, then pushing mac around, then injured, then being kind of whiny in her trying to ask him to go to london; aubrey's already shown some of her interests, her work ethic (clearly similar to his), that she can do romantic gestures (the letters), and that she's quite willing to poke fun at mac (the pizza), and she's had far less time than peyton did. so yeah, i think a gradual introduction allows for better development and is probably advisable.

i agree about rose, that was a really important moment in mac's development, and while i think peyton was perhaps just an extended experiment in dating, i think aubrey's managing, a bit like rose, to bring mac out of his usual role a bit, which is great.

definitely, i hope we get to see a different side to peyton this time, i'd hate it to just be a return to her whining at mac about how he's too secretive and blah blah.

yes, absolutely agree - they need to take some of the gloss off the crime element, ditch edna and get back out into the field of dealing with rat fishermen and homeless guys using bubblegum to retrieve bullets and so forth.

yes, i totally agree. i think mac is wonderful but if they keep plugging away at his workaholic no fun no sleep depressive side all the time it becomes samey - they need to start opening him up a bit, be that in a work context by giving him different challenges (like you said, budget cuts, how to juggle the structure of the lab, that kind of thing could be interesting) or in a personal context by giving him new relationships (not necessarily romantic, reed was a great development tool for mac, as were rose and peyton, and claire has been throughout). i think he does need to be challenged more - he's the boss after all and there are, or i assume there are, other elements to that job that only he can deal with and that directly impact the other members of the lab, seeing him deal with that kind of thing as well could be great. i guess some people might be inclined to see those things as rather dull and not what viewers want, but they've done a fair bit of team admin type stuff on criminal minds and that always works really well, like the recent thing with hotch stepping down and morgan taking over and then having to step down again - ok so the circumstances prompting thatwere somewhat non-adminy, but it showed that, well, admin doesn't have to be boring, kids! i've always enjoyed mac's previous run ins with sinclair, gerrard and so on, although i guess getting a new chief would look a bit odd, obviously mykelti can't do it anymore and i dunno, is a new police chief something that happens often? also the storyline around the budget cuts and adam provided a great opportunity for lab teamwork, and i've liked his forays into the legal system too, (eg the closer, greater good, er... gillian ;) ) all of which must be fairly normal elements of his job - they really need to avoid turning him into a one trick pony.

oh dear, you're not the only one that can ramble on :)

Last edited: Apr 27, 2010
  2. longlivetheship

longlivetheship Victim

coming out of lurking mode.
    I so don't agree with this "twilight/who's team" nonsense. really, this is a show about detectives and forensic science. anyways, I am pro-smacked all the way. and I agree with some of the others who have mentioned that bringing in these other girls while stella has always been there in mac's life well is just poop.
    I do have a fanfic suggestion if anyone is willing. since we keep seeing the spoilers that mac is gonna have to "choose".
    as the writers keep teasing us that it will be either peyton or aubrey, I think it will end up being neither.someone should write a fic,a "one-shot" that is pro-smacked and ends with mac choosing stella. I personally keep hoping that we'll see mac struggling to decide,supposedly between aubrey and peyton, and then in the very last seen, walking into stella's office/house with a look on his face that says it will always be stella.
    ok,now I'm rambling and that is wishful thinking.but still,would make for a nice fanfic. I have to rely on spoilers and forum posts for what happens now since i'm not at home for awhile and can't watch on tv or online (its blocked where I am.too slow connection for itunes downloads). I do appreciate the clips on youtube though :)

3. *Stardust*

*Stardust* Prime Suspect

I've got to admit that I've come to a point where I really don't care anymore. I'd sure as hell love Mac and Stella together but it's not like it's up to me, eh? The writers stubbornly do what they want anyway, they've never cared much about what most of the fans want or don't want.
    Anyway, I think he doesn't need to be with anyone as long as he has Stella by his side as his constant and best friend, knowing he can always count on her and that she'll be there no matter what. The bond they have can't be replaced by putting some other random woman by his side (including Peyton because to me she's nothing more than random).

4. MacsLady

MacsLady CSI Level Two

Definitely. Forget Mac's love life for a sec, one thing I really miss is that fantastic chemistry he used to have with Lindsay. Lindsay brought Mac out of himself with her playful little experiments using him as guinea pig, and Mac likewise offered Lindsay an opportunity to develop as an individual character away from Danny. I miss the two case format because the way the characters are split into pairs or threes on those allowed their relationships, their conflicts and bonds, to be shown, and I miss that. Mac had different interactions/relationships with each member of the team, and that's been lost now due to the one-case format, which is a shame, as different pairings brought out different aspects of not just Mac's character, but of all the others, too, depending on who they were paired with.

I agree. Mac seems quite taken with her too. Also, Aubrey's scene with Adam suggested she would be able to handle the indivdual members of his team who are essentially his family, well. She picked up and seemed to understand Mac's concern for Stella in RIP Marina Garito too, which I thought was sweet, especially as she made sure to reassure him immeadiately.

Definitely, and she gets him out of the lab, too. I think she could help open Mac up and bring him out of the role of boss/detective a bit too, which he needs, I think.

Me too.

I agree with all of this. Back in s1, there were hints that Mac's decision to hire Danny, for example, had caused him problems wih the brass. But since then, Danny's various screw ups haven't seemed to impact Mac at all. The same goes for Stella's actions on the Greek coin case, there was mention of the brass being aware of her actions, and that was it. I'd like to see an episode where either Mac's actions or those of one of his team caused problems for him with his own superiors, and he had to deal with that. His trying to protect his people is admirable, but sometimes his people need a bollocking, pure and simple, and we haven't seen that in a while.
    I loved Mac and Sinclair's various interactions, especially as they reminded us that Mac is the boss of the team and he has responsibilites as such, he's not just the 'lead detective' on most cases, which seems to be what the writers have been focusing on. They seem to have managed to work
    the admin side in around the cases and personal stuff before - the stuff with Danny in s1, the Sinclair stuff, the budget cut stuff - so I don't see why they couldn't do it aitugain.
    I also agree about Mac being in a relationship being a way to have him react to certain cases etc differently, and also change him a little bit, put him in a different light/context, bring out a more personal side to him, both in and out of the lab.

Whatever they do, I'm hoping they don't do another 'Gillian' where there's all this speculation about a love interest and then nothing happens at all.

Basically, Mac needs to be challenged more, opened up more as a character, we need to see more than just 'Detective' Mac Taylor. Peyton, Rose, Reed, Claire, Sinclair, Dunbrook, and Aubrey all provided the opportunity for that kind of challenge/development, in their own ways.

Last edited: May 9, 2010
  5. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

yep, that's it in a nutshell!

6. Ypoika

Ypoika Victim

Team Aubrey :)

7. nel2h

nel2h CSI Level One

Not only ladies in CSI are important. So hot Mac to us looks at everything.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. Flack-Angell

Flack-Angell Rookie

Ooh, that's the look I got when I said that when i walked inside the classroom I tripped over the computer charger (and destroying it) and then ripping up the world map was an accident! (BTW it WAS an accident. I have crazy bad luck sometimes.) I'm sorta getting the teacher-vibe here :lol:

9. nel2h

nel2h CSI Level One

I understand you. The eyes and the whole man are easy hot. We are the new love interest of Mac.

10. MacsLady

MacsLady CSI Level Two

I agree. I think they did a good job of handling Mac/Peyton in s3, whether you saw chemistry between them or not, the Mac/Peyton relationship was largely worked around the cases and the other aspects of Mac's character that you mention. Also, we got to see a bit of Peyton interacting with other members of the team now and again, Danny, Stella, Sid, Hawkes. They've already started doing that a bit with Aubrey - we've seen her with Adam and with Stella, which is nice and shows she seems to fit in quite well with them.
    I definitely think whichever way Mac chooses, the love interest takes a background role to the crime drama and other aspects of his character (much like Stella and Frankie, actually, until he went into whackjob mode), and they don't make it another D/L where it dominates large parts of the show and dominates the characters completely.

I think they have great chemistry, too. But yes, it should be kept in the background. Though so far I think they've done a good job of doing that. Mac and Aubrey are a noticeable and (to me) interesting part of those episodes where it's been brought up, but in all 3 instances, the case has taken precedence, with Mac/Aubrey blending in nicely sort of around the edges (like when they meet at the hospital where she works when Mac is there on a case, in RIP Marina Garito and Unusual Suspects).

Actually, I believe Madchen Amick is going to be 40 this year! So out of the various actresses who have played Mac's love interests, she's the oldest. I think Aubrey is meant to be in her mid-30s, and Mac his mid-40s, so the age difference doesn't bother me that much. I think it's the chemistry that matters. DL are meant to be pretty close in age, for example, but that relationship has just never worked for me.

I think at this point I'll be joining Team Aubrey because I think they have great chemistry, and she seems well-suited to Mac in terms of personality, job, attitudes, and background. It's also been great to see Mac, several times now, take the initiative in their relationship, inviting her to dinner (twice now!) and presumably encouraging her to meet him at the lab in RIP Marina Garito. I know he tells Peyton in Point of View they are 'just friends', which is kinda harsh, but then this is Mac we're talking about - he's not going to tell Peyton if he's romantically interested in someone. Plus plenty of relationships start out as 'just friends', so I'd like to see Mac and 'Dr Aubrey' develop into something more.

As for whether they're going to develop Aubrey more as a character, I think that would be fine as long as they don't take too much time away from the main cast. I'd like to learn a bit more about her time in the military, see her interact with other members of the team, etc.
    Aubrey also takes Mac out of the lab and thus could possibly give him a chance to open up and relax a bit away from the lab, the team, and his position as boss, showing us 'Mac the man' for a change, which would be good. The show does need to primarily focus on the crime aspect, but it also needs to remind us that the characters are more than just their jobs, and do have a life outside the lab. It'd be nice to see Mac work a really tough case, for example, then invite Aubrey to his place for dinner and a movie (Taxi Driver, perhaps?:)) On CSI Vegas, when Grissom and Sara got together, one of the nicest moments was seeing them at Grissom's place with him dressed all casual and with his dog. That was an in-lab relationship, and a lot of their chemistry of course happend at work, before and after they 'got together' but my favourite moments were seeing them outside the lab, Grissom especially because he was quite the workaholic, too, and it was nice to see that yes, he did have a life outside of his work and (the rest of) his team.

As I said before, I hope they have Mac actually make a choice and it not just peter out into nothing (as has happened before), and that whoever Mac chooses (but I'm hoping right now it's not Peyton) the romance is kept to one side/in the background/worked around the crime aspect like Mac/Peyton and Stella/Frankie were, and like DL used to be.

11. Maya316

Maya316 Lab Technician

That little moment they had at the end of "Unusual Suspects" was a nice one that played out just like that -- tough case followed by dinner (and who knows what happened after that :p). It was a good, humanizing touch to Mac's character in that episode. I love seeing professional-Mac, don't get me wrong, but if they're focusing on him anyway, it's much more enjoyable seeing personal-Mac away from work. I enjoyed "Rear Window" more than I enjoyed "Blacklist", for example, despite the comparatively less Mac-focus in Blacklist.

However, even though Peyton used to work with Mac, we've also seen him have moments like that with Peyton in the past (ie, the opera on his birthday). So I think she and Aubrey are neck-in-neck in terms of who can best give him those "life away from the job" moments...which is pretty much the main and only factor I'm interested in when it comes to Mac's love life :lol:

At the moment, I think I'm still mostly on Aubrey's side, because that "just friends" line was harsh, and I enjoy her in a way I was never able to enjoy Peyton in S3. However, Peyton was kind of my favourite part in "Rear Window", oddly enough (she was different! :lol: She improves a lot when she's not guilting Mac into some commitment), so I wouldn't exactly complain if Mac were to take up with her. LOL, he can have them both, as far as I'm concerned.

12. csifanviki

csifanviki Civilian

TEAM STELLA
    the writers should so go with this
    they have been leadin up to it almost every season
    i would love season 7 to be SMACKED
    but....
    i dont get how in vegas sara and grissom r split up cos of lab rules
    and we have danny and lindsey gettin married lool:eek:

13. SomethinSomethin

SomethinSomethin Victim

Team Peyton! :D

I think she is the best lady for him. She is funny and smart, and understands his job. The characters and actors both have believable, enjoyable chemistry, in my opinion. Peyton has been my favourite of Macs many girlfriends/flirtations.

I also thought she and Aubrey were supposed to be in the season finale....?

14. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

I often wonder the same thing. :lol: But one show doesn't have to follow another show's rules, I guess. (Some say it's because Grissom was Sara's boss while Danny and Lindsay aren't boss/subordinate, but I dunno. Hodges and Wendy aren't allowed to date either, right?)

There was nothing to suggest that they would be - I guess we're supposed to speculate about the relationship based on the end of "Point of View". :)

I'm not sure Mac's love life would have fit into the finale, although there was enough time that felt like filler that they could have done it, I suppose. :p

15. MacsLady

MacsLady CSI Level Two

I'd actually really like to answer this question with 'Team:MacsLady' :lol: but I think I might have a fight on my hands with certain people if I nabbed Mac for myself, and I don't mean Peyton and Aubrey. (looks at assorted Taylor Girls)

I definitely agree, in terms of seeing 'personal' storylines for Mac, I much prefer ones that are to do with his past/his life outside the lab, rather than case-connected stuff (which I don't mind, but it can be kinda unbelivable at times - like, how many bad guys are out to get him?') especially as we really haven't seen much of that kind of stuff, and there are still parts of his life and his past that we don't know about, his time in the Marines for example - where and how did he get that Silver Star.
    I think a love interest is a good way to bring that kind of stuff out in a character, especially one like Mac, as he is a v. private person and so he's not going to tell that kind of stuff to just anyone.