Emily/Calleigh #13 - SuperCalleighfragilisticexpeEmilicious!

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by Finch, Mar 26, 2010.

1. hiphugger17

hiphugger17 Coroner

Finally Calleigh had on a different kind of jacket last night. It was nice, looked good on her, and it was NOT black!!!!

Do you think that the house showed last night was Calleigh's or Eric's? Or maybe they moved in together? It was nice.

2. aussieturtle

aussieturtle Witness

Hello fellow Calleigh and Emily fans. Its my first stop in here, mostly because I was never overly keen on Miami. I loved the original and New York, but never watched Miami because it seemed too fluffy to be a CSI show. This was when all three shows in the franchise were getting shown on TV here in Australia, both new and repeated, so I never went hungry for CSI by watching the other two. However in the past few years ours tv channel changed its structure so now it has year round new episodes, but only one show at a time, so with no original or New York to get my weekly fix, I started watching Miami every now and then, and that became more and more often until eventually I realised it wasnt the show itself that I didnt like, it was Horatio. To be honest, I have never met anyone in person who actually likes Horatio, but thats starting to get a bit off topic.

So at the moment I watch Miami religiously, because our tv station plays a new episode and a repeat every monday night, which is great for catching up on the episodes I've missed, but they have as yet to show a repeat which I havent already seen. And it also lets you immediately compare the characters from a few seasons ago to the characters now.

The thing that I love most about Calleigh is that she is the epitome of a stereotypical dumb bimbo, and yet she certainly isn't. An American woman from the south who is blonde, anyone keen on stereotypes knows that it doesnt add to someone who catches the killer, and yet she does, and I think thats great. I think I phrased that wrong, but I hope you get my point.

Oh and before I forget, I figured you guys would be the people to ask where our season here in Australia is up to. I suspect we may be nearing the end of season 7, but I'm not entirely sure. The last episode here was where the girl dies of E coli and the CSIs have to go out to a farm to see if it is the source. Can anyone help me out?

Anyway its getting late here, and I think I have said plenty. I seem to be having a few issues with having time to sheck on the forums, but I will certainly try. And well done to whoever thought of this thread name, its so good!

3. ladyd10

ladyd10 Police Officer

Wait, Aussiturtle, were you trying to say that Calleigh looks like the epitome of the blonde bimbo stereotype? That would make sense since the Character has been written from the pilot episode on out as highly intelligent, but you just get fooled by the long blonde hair and pretty face. Works on the suspects, too. :)

4. Delquesne

Delquesne Prime Suspect

Hi all,

I was surfing around on iTunes looking to buy "Mommie Deadest," and I came across a featured playlist of Emily Procter's Top 10 CSI: Miami Episodes. I thought I'd share it here ... my apologies if it has already been posted (I checked but didn't see anything). Anyhow, here's the list:

1. Felony Fight

2. If Looks Could Kill

3. Stand Your Ground

4. All In

5. Resurrection

6. Wrecking Crew

7. Sink or Swim:luvlove:

8. Seeing Red

9. Out of Time

10. Smoke Gets In Your CSI's:adore:

It's cool to see that so many of the episodes that Emily picked as her favorites were ones with significant E/C moments: Stand Your Ground, All In, Sink or Swim, Out of Time and Smoke Gets In Your CSI's. It just underscores how much Emily supports the relationship between Calleigh and Eric. I've read in several other news articles that she has actively campaigned for both the romance and Adam's full-time return to CSIM.

Btw, if you want to check out Emily's iTunes list yourself, just open iTunes, click on "TV Shows," then "Networks & Studios." Select "CBS" and then scroll through the pages until you see a picture of Emily with "CSI: Miami" on it. When I checked, it was on page 3. For some reason, there were 2 versions of Em's playlist. (I have no idea why!).

5. kala79

kala79 Lab Technician

Welcome! you are right about Calleigh, her looks are deceiving!Blonde hair, pretty face, sunny smile - she could easily be stereotyped.
    I believe you may be talking about 'Bad Seed', which is the 5th episode of Season 8(current season) - please check the link http://www.csifiles.com/episodes/miami/season8/bad_seed.shtml

If I'm not right someone correct me please.
    :)

6. hiphugger17

hiphugger17 Coroner

Thank you for sharing that Delquense :)

It is really cool that some of her top coincide with EC :). A lot actually! I've always loved how she is so supportive about them.

Welcome aussieturtle!! It's nice to have you around! :)

7. aussieturtle

aussieturtle Witness

Yes, that is exactly what I meant. Oops, forgot a crucial word in there. :) Yes, I did mean to say that she looks like a stereotype but is the exact opposite. Americans, certainly in Australia anyway, arent perceived to be the smartest people in the world, and southerners even more so, and we all know that Calleigh is certainly not dumb. Blondes have a worldwide reputation of ditziness and being airy fairy, but she is very down to earth and in control. And women still have something of a stereotype of always stuffing things up that men work hard for, at least here they do, and once again Calleigh doesnt really stuff much up. All that with the fact that in television they love stereotypes. And that is why Calleigh is so great, shes everything you dont expect her to be. And yet at the same time she isnt superhuman or a drone, its wonderfully refreshing from traditional cop shows.

Thats the one! Because Steven Culp was a guest star and the newspapers here raved about him in it. I wasnt aware we were so close to the USA. On another positive note, it means we still have almost half a year left of new episodes. Hoorah!

And one of the things I love about Emily is her accent. I normally cant stand southern accents but for some reason hers is heavenly. Its not brash like a lot of them, its very mellow, and something you could fall asleep to when your sick lol. That sounds a bit awkward. And the hey y'all is the singular most annoying phrase in American history, but my day is instantly better just to hear it from her. Now I sound like a smitten kitten lol.

8. ladyd10

ladyd10 Police Officer

You know, aussieturtle, you hit it on the head with Emily's accent. It's soothing to listen to. It's soft and rounded and gentle, not harsh and jagged. After the first season, the script writers ceased to pepper her speech with "y'all", which the actress uses quite frequently. In fact, short of Emily's native accent, the writers have forgotten that Calleigh is very Southern. No matter, Emily's accent is still very there and very soft and soothing. What a great call!Thanks aussieturtle!

9. hiphugger17

hiphugger17 Coroner

Yeah her accent is great. IMO it gets even thicker when she's being playful or flirty. Like she can use it to get what she wants.

10. perriwinkle88

perriwinkle88 Rookie

It's funny that a lot of people stereotype people with Southern accents as cowboys. I am not an American and forgive my ignorance but if you say Southern accent - what exactly is "southern"? Is a Texan accent a southern accent as well because I'm pretty sure Emily's accent is different. Are all southern accents the same?
    I love how Emily got roles that allows her to retain her accent- she was amazing as Ainsley Hayes ( a smart southern belle as well) and I have been a fan ever since. Emily certainly has the "it" factor--certainly not a bimbo but a woman of substance.

11. ladyd10

ladyd10 Police Officer

Emily is from the Raleigh-Durham area of North Carolina and her accent is very different from other Southern accents. It all depends on what regionof the U.S south of the Mason-Dixon line you're from and what cultural ancestors settled there. Emily's, while strong, is rolling and soft, reminicent of Great Britian in it's gentility (second sons of nobility settling in the South after all.) and not hard and twangy like someone from the Appalachian mountains. I love her accent.

12. roulietta

roulietta Hit and Run

That's pretty funny because me, as a french, I never heard that Emily has an accent :lol:
    She looks really great in the ep, I love that colour on her.

13. Jag Lady

Jag Lady Lab Technician

Greenville, to be specific. It takes a trained ear to recognize what part of the South a person's from (I live in Charlotte). Someone from the coast, like Emily, will sound different than someone from the mountains. David Lee Smith's from Birmingham, Alabama, and his will sound more twangy than Emily's but Rex Linn being from Texas will sound raspy. Most "Hollywood" southern accents are faked and don't sound like anywhere specific.

But it's likely the same for every country. Roulietta, you could probably tell whether someone was from Paris or Nice, whereas I'd have no idea.

14. perriwinkle88

perriwinkle88 Rookie

Thanks ladyD10 and jaglady for the info! I like the North Carolina accent best- no wonder Emily sometimes sounds British.

It's interesting how you can determine what place someone is from just by their accent. I live in Canada but I am originally from the Philippines and even though it is a very small nation we have more than 100 dialects.

15. Jag Lady

Jag Lady Lab Technician

Thank YOU. I never would've known that about the Phillipines.