Mac Taylor's Love Life *SPOILERS*

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Apr 7, 2010.

?

Who do you want to see Mac Taylor with?

1. Aubrey Hunter

18 vote(s)
    15.3%
  2. Peyton Driscoll

9 vote(s)
    7.6%
  3. Stella Bonasera

66 vote(s)
    55.9%
  4. No one--Mac should stay single

12 vote(s)
    10.2%
  5. Mac can schtupp a couch for all I care

13 vote(s)
    11.0%
  1. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

you mean wrap up the whole show? oh no, i think it'd be terrible. if the show, which is meant to be a procedural after all, ends with mac and stella riding off into the sunset, it would just undermine the whole thing by saying something like "well it was a procedural but hey, here's a lovely happy ending, look at the happy couple, isn't it cute!" - it would be awful!

i'm not against mac & stella getting together if that's what they want (and i'm not sure it is but that's not the point), but i hope it doesn't become some kind of finale showpiece of the whole show.

2. Jade_Nolan

Jade_Nolan CSI Level One

AMEN!!! (i'd make that a bigger font for more emphasis if i could..!) the utter sappiness of such an ending would be vomit inducing!! now i agree, i'm not against the two of them getting together at the end, but if that's the focus or hell, even a third of the focus of the final finale, the entire show will have been reduced to a romance drama that happened to have crime involved.... :brickwall:

3. CSI.Jade

CSI.Jade Victim

^ No, I don't mean have some mushy, corny ending with them skipping off together, of course not! CSI isn't that kind of show. It'd still be all about the crime, yet they could just subtly add that bit in without making it "vomit inducing".

4. sjhubby

sjhubby Prime Suspect

Sadly it has turned into that kind of show. :scream: They seem to have gotten away from tthe premise of solving crime through science. :brickwall: I will say that I am an Adella fan, but at this point I just don't care about the personal lives of the characters anymore. :( I thought it might be a good idea to delve into it but, this season it seems like the writers have focused ( and not very well) on that and less on putting out a good crime drama. :angryrazz: I didn't start watching this show for the romance. With all the other distractions this season, start a story, drop a story, faulty timelines, reruns and preemptions, ( two more reruns now) and overall crappy writing and plotlines, I'm to the point I dont give a damm who rides off into the sunset with who. I hope that season 7 will be a great improvment. When season 7 does start I have to say I will give them a few episodes to prove to me that they can get back the quality of the show or Iam out of here:mad:

5. ASCHATRIA

ASCHATRIA Witness

I just have to put the quoted :)
    aren't they sweet

Well I agree for a sunset should't be all sweet up and pinky, and if they going to do so well than do it with taste and at least some basic style.
    And for now there are 3 women, treated like an objects- ;) didn't said not like it- this comes from a person who choose couch; but remember that mac started a serial with traummatic event losing his wife, and i'm not saying they should put him there again, but think about which char. could keep in him that level of - how to say it and not sound funny, well ok - doom, as it doesn't mean it have to be a happy ending for him. Maybe constructed a outcome bad for him, but good for Stella, like an act of friendship and acceptance.
    I think that would make a great difference in comparison of sunset, and maybe even apeal to everybody's taste.

6. CSI.Jade

CSI.Jade Victim

I agree it has started to become a soap opera/drama and straying away from the whole crime aspect, but I was only talking about the couples since this is what the thread is about. But, if season 7 isn't a major improvement from this season, I may just have to stop watching as well--which is a shame because this was always my favorite TV show...:(

7. Curiosity

Curiosity Prime Suspect

I’ve avoided this thread so far because at this point, I’m not sure there’s a single answer that captures my views on the topic. Maybe if I just start writing a few thoughts down, however, something will emerge….

Do I care about Mac’s love life? Well, it depends. Mac is the leading man and one of my favorites in the series, so in general, I care about storylines that expand upon and further develop the character. And to the extent that his love life adds more depth and leads to meaningful development, I will be interested. However, if it’s only being used as a ploy to garner short term ratings or to simply highlight Mac’s leading man status, then not so much.

This triangle storyline strikes me as fitting more into the latter category – something gimmicky intended to generate shorter term interest and keep some buzz going over the summer. The idea that they are setting up this scenario without really having a firm idea of how it will evolve or be resolved does not exactly inspire confidence, especially given how other storylines have been handled this season. That said, the more I read about it, the more I think the triangle will be much ado about little to nothing – at least for this season. It seems that Peyton may only appear in one episode (and perhaps will return to London after making it clear she still has feelings for Mac). And Aubrey has one more episode that we know of (maybe two if she also shows up in 4.22). So while Mac may have more options re: his love life, I’m not convinced he’ll actually have to make a choice at all.

The series does seem to be at a crossroads right now and in need of some sort of shake up to generate(and sustain) greater viewer interest. In my view, the focus needs to be on the crime solving elements of the show -- coming up with more interesting (and plausible) cases, finding a way to rejuvenate some of the existing characters (like Danny), and perhaps adding another regular/recurring character (preferably a more youthful female presence) who can bring new energy and perspective, while also providing someone new for the other characters to interact with. I don’t think Mac’s love triangle (or Peyton and Aubrey for that matter) really help them in that way

As for Mac’s specific love interests, I’d be leaning towards “anyone but Peyton” if that were an option. Frankly, I’m surprised they are bringing Peyton back. I’m sure the character has some fans, but I didn’t have the impression she was that popular – certainly not in the same league as the main cast or a regular recurring like Angell. And gotta admit, I never thought Mac’s feelings for Peyton ran that deep. Yes, he cared about her, but it seemed to me the relationship itself was more important than Peyton – i.e., Mac really wanted it to work to prove to himself (and perhaps others) that he could move on. Of course, it’s the writers’ prerogative to characterize Mac’s feelings now as they wish, including retconning to some degree, so who knows, maybe we’ll find out Mac’s been secretly pining for Peyton the last two plus years. I’m not sure there’s much they can do, however, to change my overall opinion of Peyton and the relationship.

On the other hand, Aubrey is wildcard – more of an unknown. On paper, she seems like the ideal woman for Mac – a dedicated, driven, career-oriented woman with a military background and no apparent flaws. The writers have done a good job of introducing her and developing the relationship in a measured way. However, so far, I haven’t seen much of the drive, dedication, or other distinctive personality traits come across onscreen. And the chemistry with GS/Mac seems a bit artificial and awkward – lacking a certain degree of warmth and rapport that suggests strong attraction and connection. But, it’s early days, so we’ll see what happens in her next episode, when presumably she and Mac are on a date.

As with previous love interests, they are using the normal means of trying to integrate Aubrey into the flow of the cases (visit to the lab, date interrupted by crime, providing input to a case), but that seems difficult to sustain longer term given her occupation and the show’s format. Putting a leading man together in a serious relationship with a background character offers its own share of challenges, so I remain skeptical of their ability to integrate Aubrey in a meaningful way. And if she is relegated to a background / peripheral character, who only shows up occasionally, I am not likely to care much about the character or relationship.

As for Stella, she is like the proverbial elephant in the room of sorts. Stella’s not part of the specific triangle, but she’s part of the discussion for a few different reasons, I think. If the resolution to the triangle hasn’t been determined yet, it’s possible the answer to Mac’s dilemma will be neither Aubrey or Peyton, which leaves Stella as a viable option (or perhaps alternative) for some.

Another issue with Stella is that, intentionally or not, she seems to be the most important person in Mac’s life (at least when looking at the totality of the series up to this point). She’s the one he seems closest too, the only one he consistently socializes with, and the one he uses as a confidant and sounding board. As stated before, I think the Mac/Stella relationship has been written primarily as a platonic one, but as PV indicated, Mac and Stella occasionally dip into a certain level of closeness/fondness. And that level of closeness, which is more ambiguous to some, continues to fuel the question of whether their relationship will ever become a romantic one. So, when the writers give Mac (and Stella) other love interests, they probably also have to decide how to adjust the dynamic between Mac and Stella so as to accommodate the new relationship(s) while still sustaining what is arguably one of the better relationships in the franchise.

Hmm…so, where does that leave me? Mac’s love life is a valid dimension to explore in some manner, but I think the show has other, more pressing needs at this point. I don’t mind the writers setting up a scenario in which Mac will have more than one romantic option (and in which he may actually date someone)….I just don’t think he needs to make a significant decision (at least not a permanent one) right now. I’m still not sure if that view fits any of the poll options – guess the closest one is Mac should be single for now.

8. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

^ i was going to quote a couple of bits from your post, especially the first couple of paras, with which i agree completely, but i got to the end and realised i agreed with just about all of it. so here i am being agreeable again. this has got to stop:guffaw:

9. CSI17

CSI17 Hit and Run

I've always been Team Mac and Stella, because I've seen bestfriends become best lovers. :lol::lol: But Aubrey doesn't seem that bad. I think they have something special. ;)

10. Curiosity

Curiosity Prime Suspect

I see what you mean. :) Based on some of the interesting and thought-provoking comments made in this thread, I can see the ratonale for voting for any one of the choices (except maybe Peyton :p), and who knows, depending on what happens in the last few episodes, I might see things differently.

I'm not opposed in theory to Mac dating, and I like seeing smiling, happy Mac, too. But I also like the Mac who cares about going where the evidence leads, finding the connections, protecing the integrity of the lab, seeing that justice is done, etc. (even if he can be over the top sometimes about those things), and I'd rather see the writers focus on bringing out some of those characteristics again.

Also, I forgot to comment on the age factor, which was mentioned on an earlier page of the thread. Mac was established as 44 years of age in season four, so he should be about 46 years old in season six. As mentioned earlier, Stella was supposed to be 34 years old at the end of season five, so that would make her about 35 years old now. I thought I read somewhere that Aubrey is supposed to be in her mid-thirties but can't find the reference, so maybe it was just an assumption. IIRC, Jordan (another of Mac's potential love interests) was described in one of the news articles as being in her mid-thirties. So I get the impression that the producers/writers like all of Mac's lady friends to be in that mid-thirties age range.

11. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

yeah i really don't want peyton to get a proper return, or mac to choose her it would just be crap, they had zero chemistry the first time around, why flog a dead horse?!

the only thing i didn't agree with so much in your last post was the bit about mac & aubrey's chemistry, i don't think it seems forced at all, to me at least it's fairly apparent, certainly more than it ever was with peyton, i think they're really quite cute together. but (a) that's just my perspective and (b) csi is not really a show where i want "oh they're cute together" sentiments coming to the fore, at least not too often. because, like you:

and i think that makes sense, 40-something men being with 30-something women really isn't unusual, or strange or anything. it's pretty standard i would've thought. although tbh the age thing doesn't or shouldn't really matter, younger people and older people go together all the time with no problems.

12. nel2h

nel2h CSI Level One

Hi Lisa,
    from the biological point of view it is better if the men are more younger than the women. This is also the today's trend.

13. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

yeah, maybe - given that men reach their peak at 18 or something and women i believe in their 30s, but in reality it rarely works that way :lol: what i meant was that it's reasonably common to find 40-something men going out with 30-something women, it's fairly normal.

14. ASCHATRIA

ASCHATRIA Witness

Why don't you take your biology trend and post it somewher far east - b/c it is a trent there, and I perfectly agree with *lisa* sayin' normality everage... I'm pretty fine with that.
    No offence but.. don't touch mac, at least not on the age handle, it's weak dude; find somethin' else, this is not a philosophy class.

If mods find me offensive, I will respect their decision to kick my perky ass out of here. It'll be for a worthy cause..Thank you:cool:

LOve and respect:devil::devil::devil::devil:

asch

15. Maya316

Maya316 Lab Technician

I've never had a problem with the age difference between Mac and his ladies, imo the show is pretty good at making it look as though there's only three or four years between them (Mac/Peyton, Mac/Jordan, even Mac/Stella -- of course, now that I know what to look for, I'm viewing Mac/Aubrey in a different way as far as age difference goes, but even they don't look like they're very far apart in years). Honestly, I was surprised to find out online that Peyton was younger than Mac by almost a decade, because that certainly wasn't my age-guess when I was watching S3 :lol:

Agree about Mac/Peyton, I always thought he was more interested in the idea of the relationship rather than with Peyton herself. I don't think Peyton was exactly popular, either, but she has a following on some websites, and after Stella, she seems to be the most "popular" LI in fics (understandable, as she's been Mac's only official LI until recently, but still). I couldn't stand her either, but since I put most of that down to the way she was written in S3, I'm still wondering if it could change if they wrote her differently now.

[Ie, it's her this time, not Mac, who's completely at fault for any problem in what's left of their relationship...seriously crossing my fingers that she's made to own up to that by Mac; depending on how it's done, I think that might change my opinion of her.]