Criminal Minds: Suspect Behavior

Discussion in 'Criminal Minds' started by Destiny, Jan 29, 2010.

1. HnStetlerfan

HnStetlerfan Pathologist

Re: Criminal Minds "The Spin-off"

I thought the spinoff pilot was unbelievably awful. It actually surpassed my previous worst ep of the season, "Mosley Lane" in the category of just plain awful writing.

I think Ed Bernero and Chris Mundy are trying a little too hard to re-live their boyhood admiration of "The A Team" with this one and it's not a pretty sight. If they had just kept their disaster separate from the original show, I wouldn't have cared. If they had just done a separate show and called it "The New A-Team" or "A-Team: The Next Generation" it would've been fine. They could've even put it on on the Saturday night "deathslot" since their idea is so excellent to them, and I'm sure they wouldn't mind it being scheduled there. After all that's when all the 10 year old boys, who I'm sure are the intended audience for this disaster would be hanging out together to watch.

2. katpin31791

katpin31791 CSI Level Three

I finally got to watch this & was not very impressed.....I found it boring & way below CM standards.....There was no edge to the show whatsoever.......For Hotch to do what he did was a mindblowing act........he's too much political......I don't see the spinoff happening unless some changes are made.

3. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

I kind of liked it, I hope it does work out, the problem is they were trying to combined the two shows and the way they do things while at the sametime trying to show hey this show can be similar and yet different.

The one thing I find funny is if Mary Steenburgen does show up on the show, then you have Joe Mantegna on the orginial and her on the spin off, and the crew it would be kind of Ironic.
    Joe played Will Girardi & Mary Played Helen Girardi (mom and dad) on the 2003-2005 show "Joan of Arcadia" and the crew working on the orginial CM is part of the crew that was with that show. I remember Joe saying when JOA ended he seen the crew packing up the boxes and it had criminal minds on it, and then when he comes to the set of CM there is some of the crew from JOA. :lol:

But back to the spin-off the thing is they said similar things about NCIS with Jag, and NCIS LA with NCIS, (and others) and they went back and tinkered with it, and then the powers that be got a look and said lets try this, and they are on the air. Most pilots have trouble when they first come out and they mess with them to fix them, but it can imo be a little worse or harder for a show that is spinning off a very popular show.

Thats the problem using the regular cast from the orginial in a backdoor pilot it can be both a blessing and a curse imo. They can get the guest stars on there, they can show something of a premise but in the end, its coming off the orginial and not really going toward the spin off. While I give the show credit for keeping with the spin off characters and not overloading them with the orginial shows characters, (ie Rossi with one, Prentiss with another, Hotch with another). The only other problem I have is the network wants to taut the show so bad, and they bounce that off the orginial, it's not fair to either show. Then you have the expectation of the fans, some expect it to be bad, be good, or just be.

I do hope that they can at least get a shot at it on their own. I think with a little tinkering here and there, and from what the article said (the idea's) they might make it work.

4. electra

electra Pathologist

I sort of like it but I am not sure if they have enough chemistry to make it.When I watched the pilot of the original,I was instantly hooked becouse of the chemistrybetween the cast and the storylines.Nobody really impressed mehere but I am willing to give it time.

5. greatfan

greatfan Captain

I feel exactly like electra on this one.I'm not saying there was no chemistry,it just didn't jump out and grab me.With the original, I knew I was going to watch the show on a regular basis from the start.Of course,I'll give it a chance.Does anyone know what time the show will be regularly aired?

6. Destiny

Per the article above. "The spin-off — currently untitled", "Mundy says he won't know until CBS' upfront on May 19 if the spin-off will be picked up." - So we will have to wait and see. Hope that helps. ;)

7. katpin31791

katpin31791 CSI Level Three

well......i don't want to see it fall flat on it's face.......I know when they did the NCIS spinoff I wasn't crazy about it till it started....now I love it.......So maybe once this show gets it's own slot things will work out for them......I have a feelin some of the same crew may not be back as it was with NCIS:LA...

8. electra

electra Pathologist

Something is missing greatfan for sure.

Most times spin off are not as good as the original.I am thinking about CSI and NCIS on this one.But on another side,I do love Law and Order Criminal intent .I am just worried that writers do not have enough good stories for both shows.

9. Colonel Worf

Colonel Worf Pathologist

Since Cold Case is wrapping up this year, I would expect CM2 to get put in the Sunday slot, or possibly Friday to replace Numb3rs.

10. Destiny

I am not sure about friday nights, I think there was a pilot thought about being put there (CM2 wasn't it, and I can't remember then name, some medical drama "Miami Medical" maybe doesn't sound right), but they also mentioned putting Flashpoint during the summer in that time slot "Numbers" was in, since they did very well on friday night.

11. Destiny

Well I got the name right I wasn't sure of lol.
    Miami Medical's Omar Gooding: Friday Night Slot Is a "Good Thing"

Course things can change. I am not sure about sundays for CM2, they don't call that the grave yard for nothing. If you survive you get a better spot. but Again Flashpoint was suppost to be put in the friday spot. So who knows what is going to happen for sure yet.

12. Destiny

Source: EW (5-17)

CBS’ Criminal Minds spin-off has been greenlit for fall. The procedural, starring Oscar-winner Forest Whitaker.

13. HnStetlerfan

HnStetlerfan Pathologist

Oh that certainly is bad news. I had heard that it might get pushed back to midseason (and then hopefully not happen at all). Something tells me I'm going to be watching quite a bit less shows on CBS next fall.

14. electra

electra Pathologist

Something was lacking in the spin off IMO.Different to the original where I was instantly hooked.There is also a lot of competition on TV so the producers are being smart about this.

15. HnStetlerfan

HnStetlerfan Pathologist

Now that it is official that the spinoff really has been pushed back to midseason and still doesn't even have a name, I'm getting the impression that CBS knows it has a major dud on its hands with this. Hopefully it won't even show up midseason and the writers and producers will concentrate on getting the original back to the superb, consistent form that we saw in the previous seasons.