CSI: NY Season 6 Spoiler Discussion - Solving Crime in the Empire City

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Faylinn, Jan 28, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

Re: CSI: NY Season 6 Spoiler Discussion - Solving Crime in the Empire

We're aware of the spoilers. In fact, the person who makes those videos has stolen all of the spoilers from Faylinn without giving credit to her or this board. :rolleyes:

2. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

I don't own the spoilers or anything, but a link to TalkCSI would be nice, especially since the videos I've seen copy-and-paste the spoilers exactly as I write them... :confused:

3. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

I used the word "stolen" just because of that. They're taking your words and not giving you credit. It's annoying and not cool.

4. Faylinn

People want subscribers and whatnot, I get it. Some of the spoiler vids I saw on YouTube have thousands of views (something like 13,000 on the one for the season 6 premiere*) - if people know where the spoilers are from, they might just skip the middle man and read them here as soon as they come out instead of waiting for a video to get made however many days/weeks later.

* It would be cool if all of those people visited TalkCSI.

5. roximonoxide

roximonoxide Lab Technician

^ That's pretty weak. People are so bloody lazy.

Like Jade said about Aubrey, not exactly unexpected but kind of a let down. It feels like they write these characters in and out on such whims all the time that they end up being about as important to the plot as the lab equipment: necessary yes, but only so the actors aren't miming around the set. :p

6. Elwood21

Elwood21 Pathologist

...erm, very sorry to do this... but Sarah Carter was indeed in precisely 3 episodes :p:). I had thought it was around that number, which is partly why I'd included her, but was prompted to check imdb to see:

"# "CSI: NY" .... Haylen Becall (3 episodes, 2009)
    - Dead Reckoning (2009) TV episode .... Haylen Becall
    - Lat 40° 47' N/Long 73° 58' W (2009) TV episode .... Haylen Becall
    - Epilogue (2009) TV episode .... Haylen Becall
    "

You could well be right about five minutes tho :lol:. She certainly didn't feature too much within any of them. Overall she had no particular position beyond being a gifted, nay, overqualified ubergraduate, to be trained by the master of forensic fu. At least Gillian came in as the new Deputy Inspector and therefore in a potential position to butt heads with Mac while having more than enough authority to have made it more interesting, had a storyline via a case that resonated with her with yet another human trafficking ring, and of course then also hadda cuppa coffee with Mac. Haylen was to have had a Dark Sekrit of her own. Which, in the end, may only have been her former identity, Kaye Sullivan :p.

Haylen's main issue and problem to solve was getting into the labs in the first place. Once she did, her problem was staying awake because she was apparently still working as a clean-up tech while doing ambiguous things part time in the lab. The only other person who benefited for material and her implied impact was Adam. She wasn't being used to look at goings on from the outside in. She was in. There she was. Doing what. Rearranging test-tube feng shui. Looking at leftovers. Riveting stuff.

I caught part of the re-run in the background tonight, and I gotta say Haylen didn't come off much better to me the second time around :lol:.

While the show didn't manage to find her a niche in three episodes, they did, within the first five minutes, have her solve some of the city's outsdanding fiscal issues via her grant :lol:. Not just booksmart, she exuded a certain saavy and attitude, and had answers to everything including the budget crisis that had Dunbrook buying the police, Sinclair and Mac shouting at each other, Mac and Stella fighting, equipment orders put on hold, and Adam fearing for his job, but Haylen had it sussed. What do ya do with a character who knows it all. Ya put them where they don't know so much. She never was. They coulda set up the possibility of an *ohcrap this is bigger than I thought it was gonna be* warble for her upon getting into the labs or on a case.

All in all, her contribution to the show that I personally like the most was "curvature of lettuce." For some reason that's just gonna stick with me... :lol: :p.

[To compare impact vs. time, other characters who had short stints:
    Gerrard (6), Sinclair (6), Rikki (4), Quinn (2), Sam Flack (2), Shane Casey (2 until this season), Terence (4).

Hell, team-wise, even Kendall had 4, Pino had 4, Maka and Zao had 4. Seems rather common and not so innovative now :lol:.]

I think Aubrey is very deliberate, and not likely to be just "dropped." I think she's there with a specific purpose within the show. She has a framework, and apparently a timeline of involvement. She doesn't feel haphazard.

Aubrey was a change and a choice we saw Mac make spur of the moment, she was deliberately introduced two thirds into the season, behind a (likely somewhat misleading) nugget/spoiler about a conflict within a relationship with Mac that hadn't even started yet. Feels like a deliberate, contained purpose. Who knows if it is, or whether it was ever intended to continue on, and if the possibility of Pleading Guilty getting picked up throws a wrench in extended plans. Somehow I think the former.

I'm still not keen on a Triangle situation happening :lol:. I think that's a spoiler I coulda done without. Too late now. Dammit.

The fall-out, as Jade put it, of seeing Mac tossed under more angst and inner turmoil, especially after the upbeat introduction of 39/40, could mean he's essentially back to square one again. Could be one of the things for his character next season to deal with. Mind you. He didn't seem too torn up in S4 after that letter. So who knows. Ya just hope it's decently written stuff and not drek. There's more than enough of that. It's just annoying to feel that the other shoe that's gonna drop probably stepped in something nasty first :p.

Could be interesting. Bodes well when those involved are excited about the project and moreover how it's turned out. Does also somehow feel like they're building up the scale and intensity of things a bit as the season winds its way out. Looking forward to a good run of episodes without a stutter-stop airing. Worth the wait now if that's what it will get us.

Not certain what the new twist is gonna be with Stella, sounds like she's back to solo, headstrong ways, that somehow put her in mortal peril again. But it sounds like the connection is the key thing, and so hopefully that's well done and sets the tone. Compassionate but Fiesty Stella could be a fun hour. Soon, Sheldon in prison. And a softer Flack with the kid. All enticing. Mixing things up again is good. Hopefully all worth the wait. :p.

:p;). No worries. Just playing devil's advocate on the positive side for a change :lol:. Do tend to agree. But. Her intro was well written. Mebbe they'll save all the sudsy angst for DL's part in teh finale, and spare us with the rest. Ya never know :p.

Not gonna mull too seriously about S7 or possibilities for the series ending just yet. Gonna try to enjoy the rest of this season first.

I think Haylen needed a more specific context. Once she got into the labs all that earlier aggressive ambition waned. Adam was used to augment her presence, he gave her more of an impact than what her time onscreen managed to. Additionally, with the rotation of Adam, Sid, and Lindsay, being yet one more part-time ambiguous team-member within a floating roster didn't do her much good.

Sarah Carter's on-set tour/interview thing with AJ was probably as entertaining, or more entertaining than her time in character. That was a step back to outside looking in, to someone coming in and laughing at the things to learn and take in. Wish more of that juice or energy had come across in show.

Not being part of the Larger Fandom of Shades, I cannot speak to how well characters have been warmed to :p. I've seen two miami episodes this season, the first one, and the trilogy. I liked Jesse, I like Walter. Was my impression that Walter in particular has been warmed to? Can I ask here as well then about Ryan. He came in after Speed's death, didn't he? Was there a backlash against him? How long did it take him to settle in? I would guess he's among the favourites now?

My point was that within the two miami episodes I saw, unconnected ones even, Jesse and Walter were, to me, somehow layered characters. I didn't see that accomplished as well with Haylen. Same amount of time, somehow less successfully done. First impressions still resonate. I gave Haylen a shot too, but didn't feel it was an easy fit. Sometimes you can wait too long to see how something's gonna work.

I guess part of that's just ensemble chemistry and the roster the show wants to create and write within. Dunno.

NY had quite the rollover of detectives and cops in Scagnetti and Hillborne, and Maka before Angell seemed to find her place, we also had Chad and Zao and Pino, Jane, Kendall, Giles and Zach, before Sid and Adam found their fit. I guess Haylen gets added to the list of roll over characters.

What might have come of her had she continued on? Dunno. But I wasn't as interested in finding out. I agree that her intro needed to be stronger or more specific. Not certain "sticking it out" would suddenly found a way for her to fit. Not certain they knew how to achieve the possibilities they saw with the character. I saw possibilities in the character. I thought the idea was a good one for the show to shake it up. It just didn't seem to work out that way. After the first two episodes with her, I wasn't averse, but as I said, her only conflict was with Adam, and even that wore thin rather quickly as a gimmick. The show didn't do much substantial with it. It was a running gag, not a tribute to her character. Nor did they really do much to capitalize on using her as a textbook-brilliant newbie/non-veteran/non-cop/outside lens looking in to a now familiar forensics based hosting scenario. Would have taken a more substantial allotment of time to do that. Guess they were focusing on other things, like the stories they'd developed for the main roster first. The FBI application was an easy, functional way out, and returned her ambition to her upon her exit at least.

I'd hope they'd keep her, at least for a little bit :lol:. Ya hate to see what ya think actually works dissipate too quickly (while seeing what ya think doesn't linger extensively :p). One episode in and I'm already curious. Interesting here too, I suppose it's the writing and characterization, and the performance of it, but again, in less screentime than Haylen had, there is something about Aubrey, even as a character from outside the labs, that is intriguing, somehow easy to warm to, and makes me curious to see more of her interactions with Mac and also to see how they're going to integrate that in the upcoming plots/storylines. Even knowing the spoiler, and that her involvement in the show is likely to be limited, that too is interesting just to see what they can do within that time.

So you think her relationship with Mac will be implied as continuing on? That's interesting. Can I ask your take on it then?

In a way I hope it does. It's like each series has a lull, and then somehow finds a way to pick it up again. The little of Vegas that I've seen this year continues to impress me, or I have fantastic timing for tuning in to only the most solid episodes. Seems to be having a decent season, on the upswing again. Miami I can't speak to. It would be great if NY could find it's way around to it's Golden Season, so to speak.

Seriously Not Kosher. Not only bloody lazy but coasting and taking credit. A link in the info section on the vid's page (as opposed to the "about me" bit) at the very least would be an acknowledgement of sorts.

Well, I'm still hoping Aubrey fares better than being upstaged by Edna or the mass spectrometer :lol:. As much as I'm not looking forward to a triangle, at least that indicates she is there for a second-tier plot point. Would be nice to have some characters stick around. Guess I can't complain too much as Reed came back.

Still. With the ongoing rotation of Adam, Sid and Lindsay, it often feels like it's not just the recurring characters who seem to be coming and going on a whim.

Last edited: Mar 18, 2010
  7. Ballettmaus

Ballettmaus Hit and Run

I would assume that she even tried out for the pilot means that she herself knew she wouldn't stick around from the beginning.

8. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

haha, you're right! my mistake - she clearly had a major impact...:rolleyes:

yeah, exactly, gillian may not have gone anywhere but the potential was there because she had some depth. haylen had her "big story" - ie being the eager beaver rookie - at the start and once she was in the lab it was like "oh".

:guffaw: maybe there are people out there who get off on watching that kind of thing? ;)

yeah that was a brilliant line :D

yep, i remember all of those far better than i remember haylen, and she was only a few weeks ago!

agreed - they wouldn't intro her so late in the season unless she was almost as much a device for something else to hang on than a character in her own right (so to speak), but i hope they work something out, she's one of the few castings this season that really seems to have worked!

i love miserable mac from s1, but the whole arc over 5.5 seasons has been the emergence from the shell of happier, more relaxed mac, and to put him back to square one would just be ridiculous. i hope they don't do that. as for it being something for him to deal with next season: he's been dealing with it for 5 already! they should give the guy a break!

my favourite was vicaro, who was in hush - every time i see that ep i wish he'd been in more, he was funny :)

9. LpoHeartsNick

LpoHeartsNick Rookie

Yeah, the english language is far too taxing anyways, who needs it?

10. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

Regardless of whether or not netspeak is annoying--and it is--let's keep it polite in here. Thanks!

dairiz_101, people do tend to use proper English when posting in here, so it might be more helpful in your interactions if you stuck to that rather than netspeak. Thanks. :)

On topic...

Not necessarily. Unless CSI: NY was prepared to offer her a position as a series regular, there was no reason for her not to take the pilot. The pilot has a shot at turning into a regular gig. And if it doesn't, it's a commitment of only a couple of weeks of shooting anyway. It will probably mean that she won't be in the last episodes of the season for CSI: NY, though. I wonder if that will throw a curveball in any plans they had for the character. Hopefully not.

11. Curiosity

Curiosity Prime Suspect

I don’t think Aubrey was supposed to stick around for long either – not necessarily because she came on so late in the season but more because of the role she was given -- an ER doctor who is a love interest. Unless they intend to change the basic format and structure of the show, she probably can’t contribute much to the central focus of crime solving, which leaves her in the questionable position of providing “personal drama.” And characters who provide only personal drama on this series seem to have shorter term arcs or show up sparingly.

I had generally assumed that NY would get around ten seasons as well. But with the latest ratings (and the speculation that it could move to a different time slot), I’m not so sure. I do think the overall ratings this year have been decent enough to guarantee a season seven. And even if the ratings continue to show a downward trend this Fall, the show probably could get at least an eighth season -- if for no other reason than simply to finish things off on their own terms. But a lot really depends on whether the ratings continue to decline significantly and whether CBS’s new dramas are successful. Also probably depends to some degree on how long Gary Sinise wants to continue in his role. Thought I read somewhere that he is contracted through the 2010/11 season…and beyond that, I imagine they’ll do whatever they can to keep him around as long as possible, including cutting his episode commitment if he wants to devote more time to other interests.

Agreed. Also, the fact that they seem to be moving the “romance” along suggests the situation involving the third party and the resulting fallout may be more important plot-wise than the romance itself or the character of Aubrey.

At this point, I also believe she has more of a deliberate, contained arc as opposed to a more extended, open ended type of scenario. If they wanted to use the actress (and character) for an extended period and/or keep their options open longer term, I’d expect them to have given her a role (ADA, detective?) that could’ve been more readily and frequently incorporated into the series. But I guess we’ll find out soon enough.

I don’t know…maybe it’s just wishful thinking, but I don’t really think they’ll go for the full scale, soap opera, triangle stuff. I expect whatever is revealed will cause Mac to have conflicted feelings and possibly cause him to stall or end the relationship with Aubrey. Or perhaps Aubrey will be the one to end things (because of Mac’s conflicted feelings) and decide to exit since she had been planning to leave anyway before encountering Mac. (All this assumes Aubrey is the one leaving, of course....)

Well, they have given Aubrey a better introduction than many of the other “love interests” that have appeared in this series. And she’s likeable in that she makes Mac smile and has had a couple of cute/sweet scenes with him. However, she’s still more of a surface level character at this point, so I’m remaining neutral (just as I tried to be with Haylen) until more is known. It remains to be seen if there will be adequate screentime and interaction with others in different situations to really make Aubrey a layered character with depth, but we’ll see.

For now, I’d say I’m less intrigued by the character and more intrigued by the notion of the potential twist, whatever it is, and how it will unfold. Also, I’m curious about what Mac’s reactions tell us about his current state of mind and possible longer term development. Why did he decide to take a chance with Aubrey? And why is he dating anyone at all if the revelation of this third party’s feelings is enough to create a tough dilemma for him? Hmm…..

Looking forward to the Stella episode and wondering how it will end since it sounds like she might be at odds with the team relative to the case. I still think it’s possible she could get some type of new professional opportunity (job transfer? Promotion?) which creates a dilemma for her. Just speculation on my part, though.

Agreed, and I think this may have been one of the primary reasons Haylen didn’t make it as a character. She never really projected that type of fresh, youthful energy and enthusiasm that I think the producers really wanted to add to the mix. Not necessarily the actress’s fault -- the material didn’t effectively highlight those facets of the character. As a viewer, I would’ve been willing to give Haylen more time, but in this economic climate, I can understand why the producers didn’t prolong the role if it wasn’t meeting expectations.

Interesting. I wasn’t really sure how all the pilot stuff works and whether it might conflict with the CSI shooting schedule. Are they shooting episode 20 now? If I recall spoiliers correctly, Aubrey’s already scheduled to appear in episodes 6.18 and 6.20, so seems like they are (or were) building up to something in the last couple of episodes and possibly even the season seven premiere. It will certainly be a bit odd if she doesn’t appear the rest of the season after the build up in 6.17, 6.18, and 6.20, but I guess it depends on how 6.20 ends, too.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2010
  12. Maya316

Maya316 Lab Technician

Definitely. The most interesting thing I found in Haylen was her ambition, because it seemed like it could get a little ruthless. By “Dead Reckoning” it had pretty much disappeared…coincidentally (or not) at the same time Adam pulled his first disappearing act of the season. I’d really been hoping that they’d’ve found a way not to limit her aggressiveness to just Adam – it felt like they were going in that direction when she handed Mac the means to hire her – but it doesn’t seem like they ever did. Which is a pity, because I think they could’ve gone far with it.

I love Walter :lol:, and from what I’ve seen, he’s being received better than Jesse (he had a great introduction, too). But then, Walter wasn’t directly replacing anyone. I think that, accurately or not, Jesse’s the one who got hit with the stigma of being Delko’s “replacement”, and his reception’s suffered from that. With Ryan, I wasn’t around when Speed died, so I’m not at all sure – but from the little I’ve seen, there seems to be a contingent of fans who love him, and then another contingent who crucify him. Four (?) years after Speed’s death, it’s probably impossible to tell how much of the latter is from missing Speed, or just from not liking the way Ryan’s written, but I do think he’s had his share of obstacles in terms of winning fans over. All these guys were pretty well layered from early on, though; I definitely agree with that, and I also don’t think Haylen was.

I guess I just think she should've been. I mean, I kind of thought Kaye/Haylen/etc was going to be a train wreck as soon as I read the weak character description (and when, over the summer, they didn't appear to do much to flesh out that description). However, I did assume that after the initial train-wreckage, when they realized her character wasn't going to work as they'd planned her, they'd at least use the rest of the season to round her out (or allow Sarah Carter to do so herself); and allow her to win fans over that way. It's not such a major deal, but they had her hyped as the new regular CSI -- and presumably got AJ Buckley and Carter hyped in the same way, judging from the excitement in their on-set interview -- so I feel like she should've gotten the same amount of time as all the other try-out regulars in the franchise (at least an entire season) to make their mark, or leave.

It's understandable -- they seemed to have a lot planned for this season even without Haylen's addition, and there were already characters rotating in and out of episodes. So I definitely agree that cutting her sooner rather than later was best, if they were getting the feeling that she wasn't going to gel no matter what. But that doesn't stop the entire thing from coming off as such a poorly-planned endeavour...I remember being annoyed at how stale Haylen's character seemed in all the descriptions, so now I keep thinking that if so much of her stint on the show depended on a quick reception, the fleshing-out is what they really should've been working hard at back then. To give Haylen as many advantages as possible :lol: I know they probably had other concerns, but still.

Same :lol: It's more that I really want her relationship with Mac to continue, than feeling sure that it will...but if they did let it continue, it would be extremely easy to allow that, even with Madchen Amick's new pilot series. There've been characters on several other TV shows who were initially planned as temporary, recurring LIs, and ended up sticking around...and I don't think it'd be completely impossible for Amick to make the occasional appearance while still working on her own show.

Additionally, this has the potential to be the first outside-of-work relationship in the franchise (I think) that doesn't end in abuse/death/divorce/etc; and while it may be hard to find a place for it with CSI being a crime drama rather than a soap opera, I still think it'd be possible, if they handled it a little like Grissom and Lady Heather's relationship on CSI. More defined, but the basic idea of the relationship would still exist even if Aubrey wasn't there in most of the episodes.

Other than Maka and Scagnetti, I liked Detective Thacker from Officer Blue :lol:(Yeah he was a creeper, but I did like the way he came through for Aiden in the end, so thought he could be interesting).

Same again -- with Vegas, I thought they'd hit a lull sometime around season 6 and 7 (though there were some episodes that I loved from both seasons), that they didn't really get back till late S9/S10. I haven't been too enthusiastic with NY's S6, and that doesn't seem like a coincidence to me; I think most shows hit a lull around the "middle" seasons, so I figure it'll pick up again later on, and I hope they stay on the air long enough to do so.
    It's weird that ratings in general seem to be a little low across the board for several shows; I wonder if that'll factor in at all to whether CSI: NY makes it to season 10. I mean, they seem to be renewing shows like L&O's spin-offs, which, though good and healthy in the target demo, don't get nearly the overall ratings that NY or Miami get.

13. Lori K.

Lori K. Pathologist

I'm with ya on that! First impressions/meetings always seem to have there most favorable moments especially if you want to impress!:lol: Although it was clever the way they introduced her it is kind of early to announce a "relationship". I'm a bit of a skeptic with first impressions. And I have my guard up with someone that is "to nice" I'm sure if we look close we could find a flaw:)

14. nydmjj2000

nydmjj2000 Victim

It will be interesting to see what Shane Casey is upto. Maybe there is hope of bringing the Tanglewood Boys back.

15. Faylinn

6.22 "Point of View"

There doesn't seem to be much, but I'll read through the spoilers and see what I can find out. Be back in a bit...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.