Criminal Minds #3: Beware The Office Of Unfettered Omniscience

Discussion in 'Criminal Minds' started by Destiny, Nov 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Destiny, do you happen to know the guest star list for this episode? I'm wondering cause the voice that says "what have we got under here" sounds so much like one of the actors who played demon Alaistair on Supernatural. :lol:

2. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

Yep I do, ask and you shall recieve.

Mosley Lane Airing 3/3:

Sarah Hillridge... Ann Cusack
    Roger... Bud Cort
    Anita... Beth Grant
    Barbara Lynch... Brooke Smith
    Frank Lynch... Toby Huss
    Aimee Lynch... Cameron Protzman
    News Anchor... Grace Savage
    Stephen Shepherd... Austin Mincks
    Charlie Hillridge... Evan Peters
    Martha... Bunny Levine
    Jake Hillridge... Mark St. Amant
    Mr. Shepherd... David Youse
    Mrs. Shepherd... Debra Sullivan
    Mae... Katlin Mastandrea
    Mr. Hayden... Richard Clarke Larsen
    Deputy... Alton Clemente

3. GregNickRyanFan

Thanks, Destiny. :)

I don't see his name on there, so I guess it was just someone with a similiar sounding voice. :lol:

4. Destiny

Your welcome. :)

Source: TvGuide Online (recommend sitting for good read and shocking information!)

Criminal Minds' Matthew Gray Gubler: Directorial Debut "Will Creep You Out"

What's one way to cope with directing withdrawal? Chop off your hair.

That's what Matthew Gray Gubler did.

"When it ended, I was so distraught, like, 'Oh no! What do I do?' ... I was so bored. I just flipped out and cut my damn hair! I did it with, like, a hunting knife. It was bad," the Criminal Minds star tells TVGuide.com. "I looked like a Super Mario Bros. Goomba. It's arguably the ugliest haircut on the planet."

Unfortunately, no one will get to see the result of his raw barber skills as his 'do was "shaped up" at work. But fans will get to see Gubler's other skills — and the realization of his lifelong dream — Wednesday: his directorial debut on the hit series (9/8c, CBS). "I hate to take credit, but it turned out to be something I'm very proud of," he says. "If there's one thing I'm good at, I would hope to God it's directing because I know that I've spent pretty much the last 28 years of my life preparing for that!"

Though he's best known for playing Dr. Spencer Reid on the crime serial, Gubler, who turns 30 on March 9, aspired to be a filmmaker and boasts a degree in film directing from New York University's Tisch School of the Arts. Following graduation, he "accidentally got sideswiped" into acting after a role in The Life Aquatic with Steve Zissou by Wes Anderson, for whom he was interning at the time. Then came Minds in 2005, followed by "tons of flak" from friends for having chosen acting over filmmaking.

"I feel like I finally got my last laugh. Those five years have trained me so well — being able to communicate with and understand actors, which I really didn't learn in school. I wasn't nervous directing [my co-stars] since we're like family now," Gubler says. "I've always really felt bizarrely — not out of place — but confused that I'm on a hit show, getting a lot of work as an actor and having a great time, but it never made sense to me because I've always felt like my true calling was being a filmmaker. I've realized now that it was all just leading up to this moment."

A former child magician and a sketch artist, Gubler — who has directed music videos and makes a series of online satirical videos about his life — says he has always loved entertaining. His creative pursuits have been on the show before — he's done magic in episodes, and his own sketch of Nathan Harris (Anton Yelchin) was used in Season 2's "Sex, Birth and Death" (after, on Mandy Patinkin's suggestion, he ripped up the prop department's "horribly accurate, perfect tracing of Anton's face," he laughs). He made his directing ambitions known, but it wasn't until the end of Season 4 that Gubler approached executive producer/showrunner Ed Bernero about finally stepping behind the camera. "Ed goes, 'You're ready. All you had to do was ask,'" Gubler says. "He's been very encouraging of my art and all the things I've made."

Titled "Mosley Lane," Gubler's episode finds the BAU team trailing a child abductor — "a modern-day Hansel and Gretel dark fairy tale," he calls it. A fan of the German expressionist film movement, during which films featured moody perspectives from the victims, Gubler employed the same tactic, using a young girl to give viewers a childlike look into "this eerily magical environment." He took a more straightforward approach, however, when showcasing the unsubs, whom he classifies as "entirely non-sympathetic."

"What appealed to me as a director is that these people are bad. When we look at them, we know immediately," he says. "Bad guys being bad and good guys being good is what drama at its core is. It lets the creepiness be creepy. There's not a drop of blood [in the episode] but it will creep you out. Some of it is in a crematorium. I found a three-story Victorian mansion that looks like it's straight out of a Charles Adams cartoon. ... I was amazed at the amount of creative freedom TV directors get if they want it — stuff that I didn't know you get to do, but you can if you want to, and I wanted to. The most fun was picking out the details, picking out the syringe, the purse the woman has."

Gubler was equally hands-on in securing the guest stars — Brooke Smith, Bud Cort, Beth Grant, Ann Cusack, Toby Huss and a group of what he calls "the most talented kid actors today."

There's an entirely new group of faces on the set lately. The series is currently shooting the backdoor pilot for a spin-off to be headlined by Forest Whitaker, which has "an amazing element of dark grunge," Gubler says. "It's like 'Criminal Minds: Lower East Village.'"

As for the mothership, Gubler, whose screen time has been limited this season after he destroyed his knee dancing last spring (he can't do anything but walk until October), senses another season-finale cliffhanger and maybe — hopefully — another stint in the director's chair.

"It's a scheduling thing ... but I would love that. It was the greatest," he says. "If given the choice, I would direct every episode of the show for free."

5. GregNickRyanFan

:guffaw: Oh, Matthew, darling, you crack me up! :lol:

6. Destiny

Okay not nearly as creepy as the promo, but creepy enough to pass that creepy, freaky test meter. :eek:

Okay thought I recognized Cameron Protzman (aka Aimee) she hasn't done much but she looked familiar, I don't know if it was a commerical or what, I know she was on the mentalist.

Ann C. did an awesome job, that was one believeable character.

GNRF I believe the voice you heard was who played Roger.

Will come back with more later.

7. GregNickRyanFan

Those people were creepy... especially the woman she was scary looking. :lol: The older girl reminded me of one of the orphans on Annie (the original movie that is). :lol: I swear one of them had a similar hair style/color. :lol:

Good episode.

8. hammer

hammer Dead on Arrival

you are right. it is wonderful show. I have watched all past season of it. its every episode is full of adventure. I love this.

9. mjszud

mjszud Captain

I really really liked this episode. I cried when Charlie told Steven's parents that he died saving that little girl...saaad.

The old hag & her husband were plain bonkers! :eek: I was hoping to see/hear a reason why they kidnapped these children though...did I miss something, or was that never mentioned?

Sara was a great character, incredibly believable -- the actress pulled off every emotion so well. I loved what Reid said to her near the end about science vs. faith.

Fabulous episode. This show never has a bad review from me though.

10. Geeno

Geeno Pathologist

Usually, abduction cases make me bored. I'm not that interested in watching how the team searches for missing persons. But, Mosley Lane is just pure awesomeness! I was skeptical at first when I read its synopsis that its about child abduction, again.However, the promo was so creepy plus it was directed by MGG so I thought this episode would be good.

The episode is creepy, emotional and thrilling. The old lady is so scary!!! Nice job for the casting. The episode is entertaining unlike the previous abduction cases were I lost my interest somewhere within the episode. The final scenes were touching especially when Stephen's parents knew from Charlie that Stephen just died yesterday. I also like what Prentiss answered to Charlie's mother that they do the job for days like that (families reunited/resolution to crimes) despite being surrounded by darkness.

Mosley Lane, like The Uncanny Valley and 100 are definitely some of the best episodes of Criminal Minds.

Last edited: Mar 5, 2010
  11. GregNickRyanFan

Oh god... when the father cried, "he was alive yesterday?" I broke down with him. Gosh that was sad.

That kind of annoyed me that they never explained why. :lol:

Yeah, but I kind of chuckled at that scene cause when he was saying all of that statistical stuff, she was just looking at him like "I don't understand what you're saying, but okay, whatever". :lol: It just struck me funny the way she looked at him like she was trying to follow him, but was having trouble keeping up. :lol:

12. Dizzney

Dizzney Moderately Insane Moderator

Commenting a day late on this episode but I really liked it. Those people were creepy.

I got teary eyed at the end when Charlie told the other parents about their son saving the little girl's life too.

This show just gets better and better.

13. HnStetlerfan

HnStetlerfan Pathologist

Well, I really don't like being the killjoy, but I didn't like this episode. I knew there was trouble at the beginning of the ep when I saw Rossi and Hotch show up to the fairgrounds to question the parents, and then the scene just abruptly cuts to something else before they started their questioning, and never comes back to them. This ep had bizzarrely uneven character appearances, and I'm sad to say, was the worst episode I've ever seen of this whole series.

I don't blame MGG for this. I know he must've done the best he could with a poorly written script. And Reid's scene when he was talking to the mother of the missing kid, was trademark Reid, which I always enjoy. And that was probably the only thing I liked out of the episode.

The reunion scene at the end was well-acted by the guest stars and emotional, but in no way could make up for the fact that there was so much askew and *missing* from the episode.

And something about the way the BAU girls were depicted rubbed me the wrong way. It actually made me not like any of them. The way they were made to look like they were in charge doesn't work in a show like this one, unless it's carefully written. If written well, it might've been really neat. I'd actually have to re-watch the ep again to see exactly why I didn't like the girl's scenes and I really don't want to do that.

I think the lack of Rossi and Hotch really hurt the ep. I was like, "Who are they trying to say is in charge here--the girl's? Morgan? Tiny Tim?"

And one of the biggest problems, and a super bad sign of the bad writing of this ep is where was the profiling?! This is supposed to be a show about profiling and how the characters use that to find out who the Unsub is! It was missing here. I guess we're supposed to believe that the one victim's Mom helped the team with this by doing all their profiling for them. This definitely didn't work for me.

Also, putting a high degree of creepiness in an episode doesn't make up for lack of suspense and action. This show needs to get back to what made it a success--clever dangerous Unsubs and the clever team of profilers who have to use their skills to find and catch them. As well as equally balanced interactions between all team members, which sure was lacking in this latest episode.

Last edited: Mar 6, 2010
  14. Noel_687

Noel_687 Dead on Arrival

I liked the episode but didn't like the way morgan acted.. on a side note I told my mom that episode me second guess goin to our annual strawberry festival with my nieces an nephews which started yesterday..

15. Geeno

Geeno Pathologist

I also thought of that but I was overwhelmed by the creepiness and compelling scenes in the end.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.