How Do You Feel About Adam/Delko Returning Full-Time?

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by Finch, Feb 20, 2010.

1. Finch

Finch Funnier in Enochian Super Moderator

The discussion has been alternating between about 3 threads for the past 24 hours so at the risk of having it completely take over every thread (as it's quite a hot topic), I thought I'd start a new thread so everyone can discuss the matter openly in one location.

All I ask is that everyone remain respectful to one another as well as the actor & others involved with the decision. Let's not start a free-for-all in here. We welcome positive feedback as well as dissenting opinions equally.

---------------------------------

How do you feel about the news?

Should Adam have been allowed back?

Does the character of Delko have any growth left as a character?

How do you think the character will be re-integrated back into the show?

2. mjszud

mjszud Captain

I've already spoke my thoughts on some of these issues, so I won't go there, but --

This I will answer. My personal opinion is that he's pretty well tapped out.
    Aside from the e/c storyline, he doesn't serve much of a purpose. I will give him that he has a good stable relationship with Horatio, & his father's storyline is still floating ( or so we assume), but other than that I only see alot of unnecessary drama for his future storylines, especially if they plan to continue the e/c angle. With that storyline in play, there won't be much of a chance to see Eric as an individual. So as far as "growth" goes, again if it all revolves around e/c, then no I don't see any potential in that department.
    If tptb were to allow him to be an individual & play outside of the e/c sandbox, then there might stand a chance to play around with his role a bit; have the character go through some kind of change to give him a shift in behavior/personality (darker, sad, anything at all that would require him to take on a different form & open up storyline possibilities).
    All depends on what tptb do with him & the e/c storyline, imho. ;)

3. Florry86

Florry86 CSI Level Three

While I think it won't be that useful to reapeat over and over how I feel about this situation I do want to answer to these questions ;)

I feel frustrated and, above all, annoyed with the way they're bringing him back. While I may have accepted him to come back part-time, in good consicence, I cannot accept him coming back full time knowing that he did it just because his career didn't go as planned.

Knowing how other channels treat their actor (I mean in a professional way), nope

Nope. To me he died back in 5x15 "Man Down" :shifty:

OFC, he will be part of the new E/C era and I won't watch it :p

4. silentdisco

silentdisco Police Officer

SUPER EXCITED. Seriously, yesterday was the love child between AWESOME and SPECTACULAR for me. I had a job interview and was hired on the spot, and then I came home and found out Adam was returning full time for season 9. It's honestly the best day I've had in a long time.

Definitely. He's an important part of the show. Obviously, CSI:Miami would've survived without him, but he's one of the originals. He's a favorite character of many fans, including me. To me, it's like CBS finally grew a brain. I was seriously starting to doubt them after they okay'd an advertisement from a repulsive organization like Focus on the Bigotry, I mean FAMILY :)rolleyes:) in the Super Bowl.

Yes. I do, however, think that once he makes his full return, his character should take a back seat while Ryan, Natalia, and Frank get their time to shine. He's had his share of drama and life changing events over the course of being on the show for 7 years full-time, and even this season where he was only on part-time. Time to let the others go through their own changes.

I honestly don't know. Because of his skills, it would make sense for him to go back to being a CSI. Given his experience and Horatio's confidence in him, I doubt he'd have much trouble getting his old job back. If he is a CSI, however, I think someone will have to go. It would be too crowded otherwise.

Unless they invent some kind of cockamamie b.s. crisis for one of them, Ryan and Natalia are not likely to leave. I personally don't want either of them to. They're both important people on the show.

Frank is a detective, not a CSI, so that rules him out. Besides, I love Frank!

That leaves Jesse and Walter. I like Walter. I don't want him to go. I'm not a fan of Jesse, so he can leave. It would also make more sense for him to go because of this whole story with his wife's killer. If he can wrap it up, then he can go back to L.A.

5. Solitaire

Solitaire CSI Level Two

Silentdisco- congrats on the new job!

Well, Eric has never been one of my favourite characters but since he has gone I realised I do miss him. I would prefer for him to stay part-time, like Jorja Fox, and only appear in a few episodes.
    What I am worried about is his return will lead to more E/C drama and more importantly reduced screentime for my favourite, Ryan. Truthfully I wouldn't really miss Jesse if he went.
    So- not sure how I feel about it until all the details are clear :rolleyes:

Yes. I am glad that TPTB realised there mistake with Rory, and have learnt from it. Maybe Adam made a mistake when he left, but dont we all. Im glad for him that he has been given this chance, whether he deserves it or not.( not knowing the facts)

Yes, but only as MJ says- if it is as an individual. I think the romance has run its course, and affected his character badly. I think there are still a few things that can be done with the character, as long as it doesnt involve him at death's door again.

Not sure. I think he will come back as a csi. I think if all the current characters stay there would be far too many, and these writers arent too hot at sharing out screentime as it is. To me, Jesse would be the obvious choice to go. Or failing that, I liked the original idea of Jesse as a cop, like Frank. Now that might work.

6. Delynn

Delynn CSI Level One

I was actually surprised at how unsurprised I was. To me it was a given. When I didn't see news of any projects in the words for Rodriguez and "Ugly Betty" was cancelled, I figured he come back to CBS. I can't fathom there was any "big decision" involved.

I don't necessarily dislike Rodriguez but I lost a lot of respect for him watching him work his agenda on his twitter page . I strongly dislike and have absolutely no respect for Delko at this point and therefore no interest whatsoever in any plans they have for the character.

I haven't enjoyed one storyline that character has been involved in for the last 4 seasons with the E/C drama at the top of my most detested storyline ever.

I don't believe so. He left and stated that he wanted to move on to other things. I wish CBS would have stood their ground and made TPTB kill Delko off.

The actors on this show work very hard and all but two seem to enjoy themselves. Adam coming and going like a revolving door had to have been disruptive. I know it was extremely annoying and disruptive for me as a viewer. Ms. Procter repeatedly stating she's tired makes me wish she quit so she can get a nice long rest.

It's just disrespectful to all the other people in front of and especially behind the scenes who work so hard on this show to use your celebrity to work an agenda in your favor.

I don't think he does. I honestly can't think of anything that would interest me that they could do with this character.

I think they brought him back strictly to service the ongoing E/C storyline and for no other reason. The only way to do that effectively is to return him to CSI status. Fraternization rule - no such thing when it's E/C.

But I strongly feel that is how he'll be used - strictly as a way to keep E/C running front and center. That's all he's been used for in the last couple of seasons. The "father" storyline was a joke. It all circled back to E/C.

7. RoscoeTrek

RoscoeTrek Rookie

I'm not too eager to have him back. Though I do miss him, it seems that there is not much need for him.

Tell you what, Eric not being there means that our attention shifts to Natalia & Ryan. I felt whilst Eric was around everyone else were sorta neglected. Yes, I do understand that Eric's a major & long-standing character but we haven't really got a chance to fully plunge into the depths of the other characters.

Since he's backed off a bit, the writers were forced to work with the other characters.

8. Delquesne

Delquesne Prime Suspect

Silentdisco, you took the words right out of my mouth. To say that I'm ecstatic that Adam's returning full-time to CSIM would be an understatement. [​IMG] And, IMO, allowing him back was a no-brainer. I'm glad that TPTB @ CBS finally came to their senses. Eric still has a lot of growth potential, as an individual character. Even though I'm a 'shipper, I'll be the first to say that the best type of character-development occurs on an individual basis rather than within a couple. Of course, a character's personal changes do impact the relationships (romantic and platonic) that the character is involved in, and that can make for some interesting story arcs. But the changes must begin with the character alone.

As for how Eric will be re-integrated back into the show, it's too early for me to guess. Anything I say at this point would be mere speculation. I have no doubt that H and the rest of the team would welcome Eric back to CSI with open arms, but that might entail other character shake-ups (none of which would involve Ryan, IMO). As a matter of personal taste, I wouldn't be unhappy if Jesse made a hasty exit, but that's another story.:lol: I'd have to see how the rest of this season pans out before speculating about anything in Season 9 on that front.

9. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

I don't really know yet. :lol: I like the character, but I can't help but worry about others' screentime... and where this will put the new characters (both of whom I like). I think Walter is probably safe considering that the role was created specifically for the actor and created by the big man himself (Jerry Bruckheimer). But Jesse, I worry for him. :lol:

Not sure. They could do something with his father again. But I do think the character deserves to have more storylines than just a romance (same goes for the Calleigh character too). Not saying he shouldn't have a romance storyline, just that that shouldn't be the only one he gets.

This is something I'm not sure about. If Jesse leaves, Eric could slide right back in to where he was and the only change would be ME Tom and new guy Walter. Otherwise, I'm not sure how all of these CSIs are going to fit in. :lol: And honestly that makes me a bit nervous.

===

:lol: That's a cute phrase. I've never heard that one before. Sorry, I just had to say that. I kind of like this phrase. :) And congrats on the job, by the way. :)

Thank you for saying this. I agree with you. I like the Eric character (even if I'm not an e/c shipper, I do like Eric as an individual character). If Jesse stays, I'd like to see how the two get along. But I would really like to see more development on his friendship with Ryan or co-worker relationship, whatever. Just no more of that thing with them at each other's throats. Kind of tired of that. I want them to be friends. :) I liked all the little moments where they joked together and stuff. The part about the leather pants... that was great. :lol: More moments like this between Eric and Ryan would be nice. Them teasing each other in a friendly way. It's cute. :)

I like that idea too. That way we'd get to keep Jesse (cause I like him) and Eric could return as a CSI. And we wouldn't have too many cooks in the kitchen (or CSIs in the field as it were lol).

One thing I do want to say though is that if tptb do decide to get rid of the Jesse character, I really hope they write him a decent exit. No exits like Coopers or Taras... or even worse, Riley's (on CSI Vegas) please. Have him solve his wife's murder, catch the killer and maybe go back to LA. But, I'd rather that they kept him as another cop (and maybe he could be more on a recurring status like Vartann).

Last edited: Feb 20, 2010
  10. MiamiWolfe

MiamiWolfe Pathologist

Frankly I got a sick feeling in the pit of my stomach. It's not that I dislike Eric, but with the log jam of characters and what a poor job the writers have been in handing out quality screentime to some characters, how is Eric going to fit in and whose screentime and character development is going to suffer because of his return? I will have less of a problem with it if:

1. They resolve the whole E/C romance. Stop jerking us around and come to a solid conclusion.

2. Ryan continues being treated like a valuable member of the team and Eric and Ryan could develop a truce in their relationship and get along. The whole Eric vs Ryan theme is gotten old.

3. There is quality screentime given to Ryan, Natalia and Frank. If they are shoved into the background again, I might have to take a pass on season 9.

I am on the fence on this one. I can understand both sides of this issue.

Outside of his resolving of the storyline with his father, I don't know. I could see potential storylines if he stays working where is now as opposed to coming back as a CSI full time. His character does seem to have run it's course though.

Slowly I hope. I personally would like him to stay at the State's Attorney's office. I hope they don't just have him *poof* back as a CSI, but I wouldn't put it past these writers.

11. inthewind

inthewind CSI Level Two

How do I feel about Adam/Eric returning full time? That depends:
    a. Who's leaving? There's no need for all of them;:scream:
    b. Will they resuscitate the E/C storyline?:mad:

:wtf:Those who don't want him back because he left are short-sighted. He had the right, and the obligation to himself, to test the waters. What better timing than contract renewal time?
    Ugly Betty was never more than a short term appearance. He wouldn't have stayed even if it hadn't been cancelled.

12. D&Daddict

D&Daddict Police Officer

How do I feel about Adam/Delko returning full-time to CSIM season 9?
    :hugegrin::D:beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::beer::D:hugegrin:
    I only watched season 8's episodes he was in....
    Does this answer the question :guffaw:?

13. kala79

kala79 Lab Technician

I am excited about his return, really happy.
    But:
    I am afraid of new drama for EC. I want them to resolve their issues already and be in a stable and regular relationship. Enough of the drama. Give some to the other characters.
    I think actors have a right to request a payrise(I believe that's what it was about) after few years in the show. He probably is not as important for CSIM as all characters in Friends(and we know that they negotiated really big salaries in the last series), but one of very few originals of the show and one of it's trademarks. Like Caruso. Like Procter.
    When I talk to people about CSIM and they have been watching only few or a bit more episodes at all, the only characters they remember are:'this red-head with sunglassess', 'that cute blondie with funny accent', 'that hot Latino'...well, they don't remember names like us.
    So I'm happy that he's back, hope Emily will not leave, their relationship will last and become more drama-free, there will be more focus on Natalia and Ryan, my other favourite characters.

14. greatfan

greatfan Captain

I wasn't happy to see Adam/Delko return.
    The cast is now way too bloated,and I too have to ask,who's leaving?
    I was fine with his recurring status/episodes.
    I didn't miss the romance at all. Now that he has returned,I would like to see closure for E/C and have the writers move on,but the writers seem to have a problem with doing this.
    If they were able to move on,perhaps we could see something exciting for the other characters.

15. perriwinkle88

perriwinkle88 Rookie

I am a highugger through and through so I am ecstatic that Eric Delko is back for Season 9.:lol:
    I totally agree with you on this.

I just hope TPTB won't get back on their word that there would be a definite resolution on the E/C relationship this season. They have been dancing around this for far too long. I just want them to get married , have babies and live happily and quietly with no more drama please for the next season. I'd be glad if TPTB would give all the drama to the other characters. Just knowing that they are still together and happy is good enough for me.
    As an individual character, Eric Delko had metamorphosized from happy go lucky player to a more mature and serious person over the years. I can't see them taking the character down any further . Well, if he and Calleigh get married then I want to see how he is as a husband and father.

I have a feeling that he won't be happy with his present job especially when he will be asked to investigate on his old team. He will eventually go back to being a CSI.

Jesse's storyline will be stretched out till the season finale since Paul Blackthorne will still be appearing after the LA episode as posted in the News section. He'd probably go back to LA but who knows.:confused: