Episode 8x12 - Show Stopper *CONTAINS SPOILERS*

Discussion in 'CSI: Miami' started by crimekat, Jan 6, 2010.

1. HnStetlerfan

HnStetlerfan Pathologist

Too much Jesse, not enough Rick Stetler. And I didn't feel anything when he said his wife died because to me, Eddie Cibrian is such a bad actor in this show that he might as well have said that he was leaving to take his car to the shop or something. When I watch this actor, I see a cute face, but I also see the same one or two expressions on this cute face. He looks similar to David Lee Smith, like a younger version that can't act. I've been thinking of him as "David Lee Smith Lite". Why not use the real thing when you've had him in your show since 2003 or 2002?

Well to say something positive in this post, I did at least get to see DLS, even for what--20 seconds? But it's always great to see him. I hope he is well, he looked awfully thin. I sure would like to see him get on another police procedural where they would use his talent. It's hard to know what to wish for because on Miami, things can change like the wind from one season to the next. If storylines happen to go the way you like, you better enjoy it while you can, because you never know when everything will be turned upside down. I guess this is why I can't just stop watching this show with all its current miscast characters (IMO). Because for all I know, next Fall things might be on a better track.

I did think that David Caruso was in top form last night. The writers gave him some good stuff to say.

I thought the storyline was pretty good. The young actress who played Phoebe did a good job. I liked Calleigh's concern for her.

2. Divadee87

Divadee87 Hit and Run

^ I am not the biggest Jesse fan, but I don't think Eddie Cibrian is an awful actor. Jesse's confession definitely was shocking. And it also made his character much more human and likeable. I also notice that the new characters are bringing more team interaction to the episodes. Now what I didn't like was the whole wannabe Miley Cyrus thing. The csi shows need to stop this whole mocking celebrities in Hollywood for a storyline. It looks a little gimmicky and loses the realism factor. It is also a bit of an unrealistic thing to occur. Again, this is just how I feel about the episode. As fas as what I liked, Ryan telling Walter that he is getting him the bracelet for his birthday. love them together in scenes.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
  3. HnStetlerfan

HnStetlerfan Pathologist

Well, it should have, but all I saw was the same bland, aloof look on his face that he *always* seems to have.

I see him and the Walter character as miscastings on this show. And I have nothing against the actors themselves. Well, not too impressed with some of Cibrian's personal um... affairs, but if his character in Miami was really working for me, I wouldn't hold it against the character. But I think the detached, aloof way he comes across would make him a better character to have on a spy show.

4. Divadee87

Divadee87 Hit and Run

I hear your point-of-view and respect it. I have a problem with all his screentime in the begining but now it has seemed to calm down a bit. Whatever Eddie Cibrian does in his personal life as well as the other actors is their business and I tend not to judge that. I just judge what I see on the show and their acting skills. I am sorry if I offended anyone with my last post. I know we all have different opinions and I respect all of them.:thumbsup: :cool: ;)

5. HnStetlerfan

HnStetlerfan Pathologist

Likewise. No offense taken here. :)

6. crimekat

crimekat Hit and Run

Another think they could have done in the episode to give him more air time is in the end have Calleigh and Rick meet up again and Calleigh could have given him the information he needed. It seems like he starts some of these little investigations, but we do not see the end of them.

7. HnStetlerfan

HnStetlerfan Pathologist

Yes, they should've at least done that. That would've been an improvement and a nice way to wrap up his appearance in this episode. And in previous seasons, I think we would've seen his onsceen time be just like that. But there's something about this season that caused everything to get screwed up.

8. BauerAlmeida

BauerAlmeida Rookie

Well, all I can say is that I definitely enjoyed Eddie's acting in this episode. I've always maintained that good acting is more than facial expressions or how they talk, but the look in their eyes, and as far as I'm concerned, I saw that incredible sadness and anger in his eyes, and that was all I really needed to see, that mattered more than pages of dialogues or hundreds of expressions. For me, Eddie was always a good actor, I loved him in the soaps, and I definitely loved him when he played an evil bad guy in Criminal Minds! I can't wait to see where he takes this storyline!

As for too much Jesse and not enoug Rick....hmmmm but isn't Rick an recurring character and Jesse is a main cast? So I guess my question is, isn't it normal to have main cast member have more scenes than recurring?:confused:

I do agree that they should have had Rick back in at least one more scene to wrap up the issue, that was a bad move. Although I guess I just haven't seen enough Rick episodes to get attached to him yet....but hey, I always enjoy wanting to throw things at Rick for going against my CSI kiddies! LOL!:p

I really like this season, for me, I feel like this is Miami finally going back to its roots. The show had always been very fanciful and somewhat comic-book-like style, but I've never had problems with it, but since Speedle's death, it just seemed like the team wasn't connecting the way they were suppose to. Poor Ryan was always an outsider, Horatio became some superhero, Eric was getting shot way too many times, Calleigh was getting too serious, and Alexx left the team....it just felt like to me that the team was drifting apart more and more and I couldn't bear to watch it happen, so for the past 5 years I didn't, and if I did catch an episode, I mocked it relentlessly.....but the style of season 8, the refreshing new characters caught my attention, and since the premiere, I found myself falling back in love with the characters again, and of course Eric leaving was sad, but this time it felt like the team was together, they were connecting to each other again. Ryan had finally found his place with the team and not as an outsider, Calleigh seemed more open and happy once more, and Horatio had finally come back down to humanity to who he once was.

Oh and of course, how can I forget the Musketeers! Seeing Jesse, Ryan, and Walter carp at each other all day never ceases to amuse me!

I guess for me, Season 8 just worked. I was happy, and the new characters had alot to do with my renewed love.:cool:

9. ladyjr8

ladyjr8 Police Officer

loved seeing Stets but can't believe he would 'notice' some small gasoline/mileage discrepancy thing unless he spends his days looking for ways to bust everyone in that lab..liked the Phoebe girl but can't believe she was doped up for 3mths-seems she'd be even thinner than shown. Reminded me of earlier episode fr first seasons about young model girl being exploited by mom and H busted her when the girl died outside the detention center where she was visiting a friend. H does NOT like/condone parents using their kids for money-his face gets really seriously angry..like that the 'victims' of the case were teenage girls-maybe making H remember his 18yr old son somewhere..Horatio always wears his Parental concern better than most people..it's on his expressions clearly how upset he gets about those bad parents and the kids getting hurt.

10. Solitaire

Solitaire CSI Level Two

Well I enjoyed the episode.
    Calleigh bonding with the girl was a nice touch, and made a change from it always being H.
    Ryan and Walters scenes were amusing, and I didn't think Jesse had too much screentime this week. I was rather disappointed with the reveal of his big secret. There just wasn't enough emotion in it for me- but I suppose that will all come in future episodes.
    It was good to see Stetler back but I agree that he didn't get enough screentime.

11. MiamiWolfe

MiamiWolfe Pathologist

I thought EC did a pretty good job in Criminal Minds. Kind of forgot it was him.

Jury is still out for me on EC's acting abilities, since CSI:Miami and the role in Criminal Minds are the only things I have seen him in. IMHO his character, for everything he has been through (losing his wife, etc) would probably be standoffish and detached, and seemingly "emotionally dead". EC banters pretty well in the lighter scenes.

I agree. Maybe this is what DC meant when he said they were getting back to their roots. My favorite new character is Walter because they haven't had a character this laid back before and it is refreshing to see because everyone else can be so intense sometimes. I love the team brainstorming and trying to solve the cases together, something I haven't seen since Speed died. Although I like Tom, I still miss Alexx and always will.

This dynamic seems to me to cement Ryan as being "one of the gang", and a valued member of the team. Would love to see Ryan and Walter together off the clock, along the same lines as Jesse and Walter playing ball.

12. mjszud

mjszud Captain

I don't feel alot of emotion from Jesse either (at least what I would expect), but maybe we aren't supposed to -- we know nothing about his marriage (how long they were together, or if they had marital issues); it's possible they could've even been contemplating divorce before she was killed. It's hard to say what emotions we should be seeing in him without knowing how he felt about his wife prior to her death (were they happy, had he fallen out of love with her but still cared for her, etc).
    Also, we don't know how long she's been dead; he may have already gone through all the necessary emotions & is now at the point of just wanting to put away her murderer so he can move on.

All in all, I don't think Eddie's doing a terrible job, but no I haven't seen anything overly spectactular yet either. For me, I'm just sorta waiting it out to see what Eddie brings to Jesse as this storyline unfolds.

13. Delquesne

Delquesne Prime Suspect

I feel the same way. So far, Eddie Cibrian hasn't floored me with his acting, but then again, we've learned very little so far about Jesse. Jesse has had quite a bit of screen time thus far in Season 8, but we haven't really gotten that much insight into who he is. So I still can't figure out whether he's a good fit for the CSI team or the show itself. I don't believe that Eddie/Jesse needs any more screen time. (I'd like to see that go to some of the neglected "veterans" like Ryan and Natalia). But I think the writers should make better use of the time Jesse is on screen to give viewers more of an idea of who he really is.

14. crimekat

crimekat Hit and Run

I guess my feeling is that he is a recurring character, if they are only going to give him 10 seconds, then why bother. Everyone seems to agree that he brings something to the show and to give him such a small role and little screen time after 7 seasons of being on. To also have a scene that does not seems to fit either. Come on they can do better for him.

15. CSI4evr

CSI4evr Rookie

hi guys i'm not sure if i'm allowed to post in this thread anymore, but i do have a question related to this episode because i just rewatched it. i really enjoyed the song that phoebe nichols sang at the very end and i just want to know if anybody knows if it is a real song or not.