Grade "Manhattanhenge"

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Nov 25, 2009.

?

How would you grade Manhattanhenge?

1. A+

20 vote(s)
    38.5%
  2. A

8 vote(s)
    15.4%
  3. A-

3 vote(s)
    5.8%
  4. B+

3 vote(s)
    5.8%
  5. B

7 vote(s)
    13.5%
  6. B-

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  7. C+

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  8. C

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  9. C-

2 vote(s)
    3.8%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

5 vote(s)
    9.6%
  1. symbeline

symbeline Witness

It was the worst of the three, but I'm really glad the Compass Killer plot is over. If I hated "Grounds for Deception" for the incredibly cheesy and bad clichés, this episode was even worse. There wasn't a cliché about psychotic killers that the writers didn't meet and like.

But what ruined the episode for me--yeah, even more-- were Danny's action scenes. R-I-D-I-C-U-L-O-U-S.

I don't remember an episode apart from "Blacklist" this season where I was so anxious for it to end. If I liked something, I've already forgotten it. Oh, and please, since when is Lindsay so empathetic? Did she graduated in psychology when we weren't looking? This may be the reason why she's been MIA for a while this season.

The last scene would've been nice in another episode. I don't know why, but I found it too forced and too long, like the writers were trying so hard for something that I certainly didn't feel.

I've definitely lost any hope I had left for the rest of the season, only a miracle would made me watch season 7. I doubt it will happen. When Danny is becoming my less favorite character, I know this won't have a happy ending for me.

2. CSI Cupcake

CSI Cupcake Police Officer

I liked this episode a lot. We were in NYC last year for the parade so this was a great way to relive some of the trip. I think we saw the circular steel structure on our way back to the airport. We just didn't know what it was.

So now we know where Elkhart has been holed up since leaving the hospital. It makes sense now that his tears showed a vitamin deficiency from not being in the sun and also where he got all the old paper from. I loved the song playing when Mac and Flack found the exhibit because it spoke directly to his loss and where he was living below ground out of the sun. They had me fooled completely because I thought it was an abandoned building and he was up in an apartment floors above street level.

On a personal note i don't like rats...I Don't Like Rats...I DON'T LIKE RATS! ::need an emoticon that shivers here::. And they must lose a bunch of shoes because they have traipsed through water at least twice this season alone. Poor Danny's Converse must have been extra squishy after slogging through that murky looking runoff.

I loved the compass he had. This one was silver and old looking and had H.E. on it. One thing that confused me was where all his personal things came from. He certainly didn't walk out of the hospital with them. Were they in storage or something? It was too much and way too personal not to be his. It made it appear that he had been living in the exhibit for years instead of just a couple of months.

Loved seeing Danny and Flack back in the field together. I too noticed that they cut the line where Flack asks him if he is okay. The team seems to be moving away from Danny's physical issues with a certain amount of acceptance that he will have residual problems and are not hovering over him now that he is mobile again. He doesn't want to be babied so they aren't going to baby him. Fair enough as long as the writers continue to bring up little things like the icepack the waitress brings him, as acknowledgement that his healing is an ongoing process and he pushes the limits and pays for it. That keeps it real.

Lindsay showed real insight into Hollis and I really liked the parallels between him and his wife in the office hiding from the shooter and Lindsay in the bathroom as a teenager hiding from a shooter. Great tie-in for her and great use of her backstory. As mentioned before she showed a lot of empathy for him and his loss.

The team scene in the restaurant was w-o-n-d-e-r-f-u-l. It brought closure to the Compass Killer storyline most obviously, but for me it also brought closure for the team that gathered last season at a bar and ended up sort of fractured and damaged. I wonder if it was meant to be a sort of turning point for everyone or if it just felt that way to me? I DID notice the look Adam gave Stella. Lindsay's joke about Hawkes moving into Elkharts "apartment" was great.

Mac yelling at Hollis every time he saw him was the only thing that bugged me. Why would he yell at him, knowing that he was unstable in the first place. All it did was make him bolt but I guess they needed to fill the entire 42 minutes so yelling prolonged the episode.

I have to give a salute to Skeet Ulrich, who did an outstanding job of playing Hollis. You couldn't help but be sympathetic towards him. Skeet did such a good job of portraying the tortured life he was living and how much he loved and missed his wife. I still don't understand what he was doing with all the sun charts but since he wasn't well it probably didn't mean anything significant. It was just another manifestation of his condition.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2009
  3. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

i did wonder if it might be something like that, even as i said that about the date it crossed my mind, but i guess for me it just sat on top of the already huge mountain of time line issues there've been so it grated nonetheless!

4. Lori K.

Lori K. Pathologist

Lindsey cracked a funny HAR HAR! I thought I was going too wet my pants it was so hysterical:rolleyes: And are she and Danny MARRIED or somthing?
    I'm sorry but after Danny ran all over New York and he needs a "Bag of ice" Please my intelligence has just been insulted.:wtf: Sorry but I have recently undergone surgery for injuries on a severity level of what Danny was to have endured and trust me folks my red cape is still hanging in the closet. And Adam was looking quite dapper this evening and Stella as well. Both were a bit more formal then the rest but maybe that is because they were going to not get together and have sex any more or no wait maybe they are? No wait I dont think so no wait maybe yes yes I saw the look naw Stella said it was stupid but maybe not? Flirty Flirty kiss and tell. And speaking of kissy kissey face awww D/L got a little little at the dinner table squee I wonder if Lindsey dabbed the corners of Dannos mouth with her napkin when he finished eating :rolleyes:. But of course she did after all I think someone said they got married? And wasnt there a guy named Sid that use to be on the show? He could have at least picked up the tip. And let me get this straight..The department is so broke they were letting Adam go a couple of months ago? Whats with all the lab toys lately? Did Christmas come when I wasnt looking? So many missed opportunities (how about Flack in pursuit of the bad guy and Mac tells him to take him down it could prove to Flack Mac has confidence in Flack to do what might be needed) AND inconsistencies this time (please see above). Sorry this gets a D from me. The only thing that saved it from an F was the sad story of Hollis which by the way was the first I heard of Skeet... I know, what rock do I live under:rolleyes: By the way did you guys get your invite to Lucys wedding next month?

5. Shica

Shica Victim

A couple of things:

- Even though Flack didn't say anything about losing Jess, to me he did look like he was relating his own loss to Eckhart's.

- The last scene looked a bit forced, and if suipposedly Flack had been drowning his sorrows in alcohol, and that's a bad, bad thing, why was he drinking beer at the And they lived happily ever after Dinner?:wtf:

I'm not sure if I liked the Ep... Skeet Ulrich gave a great performance, though...

6. sjhubby

sjhubby Prime Suspect

Lori K, Thanks for the laugh. I do agree with you the whole show is not making any clear sence this season. I love what you wrote about Adam and Stella. Are they are arn't they. They said they would be together, the producers said thay wouldn't. but, judging by the words and look Stella gave Adam and the look back are they. Itseems like almost every scene lately is a cliffhanger.

7. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

haha, not yet but we have a postal strike here, i'm expecting it in the next few weeks. of course by the time it arrives the invites for her kid's graduation will be going out! :lol:

yeah i thought that was weird too, a little inconsistent. you'd think someone who had been having issues with booze would lay off at least for a while, and if not then those around him who are meant to be concerned would tell him to!

8. Messers fan

Messers fan Rookie

But maybe he didn't have alcohol issue just random moment in a bar:confused::confused:

did you notice the only one who drink water is Danny ????

9. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

^ yeah maybe but then he was clearly shown (well, sometimes anyway) in states of possible drunkenness and sitting drinking alone, and then on the tube he was drinking from a brown paper bag and if that's not supposed to signify a problem with alcohol then i don't know what is :lol: it just seemed a little inconsistent is all.

10. flying mouse

flying mouse Witness

Oh god. It was unbearable to watch! :wtf::wtf::wtf: I turned my computer off at the half of the show and watched Skate America(figure skating) rerun on tv.

11. Poppet

Poppet Police Officer

In my opinion they didn't draw enough from what happened to Lindsay as a teenager, I found it unrealistic that she wouldn't reference it at all. People who maybe haven't watched previous seasons would have no knowledge that she had a similar experience in her youth. Like many things in CSI:NY once a backstory has served its purpose it never gets mentioned again.

12. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

Ain't no sunshine when she's gone. I kind of like that song, but I hate the "I know" repeating over and over. It'd be much better without that part.

"I got my sea legs".

Why do they use those huge cameras? Can they not use smaller ones? I'd sure hate to have to lug around those huge ones. :lol:

Aww Danny giving the homeless guy his jacket after having to take Hollis' jacket from him.

"If you catch the guy, keep the rope and string him up with it". :lol:

I figured that the scratched out vic represented the shooter, but ... it represents Hollis himself? That was unexpected.

I do feel bad for the guy though even though he killed innocent people. That last sequence with him seeing his wife telling him to listen to Mac. Wow. Tears in my eyes.

Hawkes said he's getting his own place.

Mac: Does that mean I get my couch back?
    Hawkes: Well, actually it's unfurnished. :lol:

Wait... I thought Mac had a guest room that he let Hawkes stay in... so why would he be staying on the couch? He was staying on the couch at his other friend's place. I think the writers made a boo-boo there. Cause Mac once offered the extra room to Stella when her apartment caught on fire... and I'm sorry but there is no way in heck that Mac would have Stella sleeping on the sofa. He'd totally give up his bed to her and sleep on the sofa himself... but it was always said that it was an extra room which implies guest room with a bed.

13. Jade_Nolan

Jade_Nolan CSI Level One

Yeah, I caught that too. I chalked it up to Mac making humor about Hawkes being there, not literally that he was sleeping on the couch. Which was awesome since Mac engaging in humor is :luvlove::luvlove::luvlove:! (one-liners don't count! :p)

14. Ceindreadh

Ceindreadh Pathologist

So it basically takes 6 months to go from being paralyzed from a GSW to being able to run around and participate in a manhunt? Man, Danny's doctors must be miracle workers.

Seriously though, if TPTB didn't want to drag it out having a main character in a wheelchair, why bother with it at all? If they wanted to go with a realistic recovery, then they should have had it be Adam or maybe Sid, somebody who's not out in the field on a regular basis anyway. Or if it had to be Danny, why make it such a serious injury? A GSW that caused damage but not paralyis, something that he could realistically recover from in 6 months, but still have some residual issues, that'd have been easier to swallow.

15. Maya316

Maya316 Lab Technician

I took "couch" to mean that Mac had a spare sofa-bed that Hawkes had been using... But there wasn't anything to really confirm that, so I have no idea why I jumped to that conclusion :lol: Confusing.

I only just realized by watching it a second time that Danny really did do a backflip (well, backflip-ish thing) in this episode. So now I have to chip in with my complaints too. I knew the running was coming from previous spoilers, so I was prepared to suspend my disbelief, but the flip-roll was a bit much. And I agree; the thing I'm really having an issue with is that whole "ten-percent chance of walking again". I doubt Danny's recovery would be half so unbelievable if they had just made the injury a temporary paralysis that the doctors expected him to get over in several weeks or so. With the way things stand now, Danny should be in every medical book written about miracle patients.