Grade "Manhattanhenge"

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Nov 25, 2009.

?

How would you grade Manhattanhenge?

1. A+

20 vote(s)
    38.5%
  2. A

8 vote(s)
    15.4%
  3. A-

3 vote(s)
    5.8%
  4. B+

3 vote(s)
    5.8%
  5. B

7 vote(s)
    13.5%
  6. B-

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  7. C+

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  8. C

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  9. C-

2 vote(s)
    3.8%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

1 vote(s)
    1.9%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

5 vote(s)
    9.6%
  1. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

Last ep of November sweeps tonight! The Compass Killer is back... watch and let us know what you thought. :cool:

2. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

When Mac and Flack entered the underground room that's stuck in the 60s, my first thought was, 'LOL, it's Torchwood and they've stepped back in time.' Oh, if only Jack Harkness showed up...the flirting would be epic. :p

However, that scene lasted way too long - I love the song, but I'm watching CSI:NY, not a music video. But I guess now we know why the Compass Killer looked like he was stuck in the 60s.

Was Danny's comment about "sea legs" meant to be a Forrest Gump reference? :p

BTW, you don't just pop up out of a manhole into the middle of the street, danny - you moron. :shifty:

That's the second scene where there was a long lead up to...nothing. Keep letting me down like this and I'm going to start wondering if they didn't have enough story to fill 42 minutes. I know they can't find him too soon, but these major scenes aren't really leading to anything.

Aww, Danny was nice - but I'm surprised Flack didn't ask if Danny was alright after that chase.

...I love Hawkes and Stella, and yay for smart stuff, but that scene with the sun things was hard to understand - I kind of zoned out.

LOL "assface"

THE AMAZING WONKY TIMELINE RETURNS! So it's December 5th (or 4th, I guess) - damn, I guess Lindsay really did need that cup of coffee (complete with clunky exposition) to indicate that she's been in the lab for a week and a half. :p

BTW, I think it's pretty obvious who Eckhart hates the most: himself. I mean seriously, the sketch even looks like him without having to remove all of the rage-induced scratch marks.

LOL - if you don't like Flack's driving, get off the sidewalk! :p

LOL, my little sister just said, "Needs moar lensflare" during the sunrise scene - she's been watching too much Star Trek. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Damn, I'm good. I was typing "I lost my wife too" into the YIM chat window just as Mac said it...well, either I'm good or it was predictable. :p

Do they really need a psychiatric evaluation to determine that Eckhart is bugf*ck crazy?

Yay for a team scene after work. I totally saw Adam looking at Stella, btw (too bad the show is probably just going to include a few long looks instead of actually following up on their hook-up *sigh*). And doesn't Hawkes like living with Mac? I can't imagine why he wouldn't want that to be a permanent arrangement. :lol:

3. ~Sarah~

~Sarah~ Lab Technician

Eddie's hair is getting grey. That was one of the first things I noticed.
    I knew he was going to be the last victim before they figured it out. Just a gut feeling.
    I guess Sid was left out of the episode because there was no dead body... but he should have been at the end scene in the restaurant with everyone else.
    Also, at the end it was apparent Danny was having problems with his back.

4. Noel_687

Noel_687 Dead on Arrival

I knew someone was missing from the end scene just couldn't figure out who.. wasn't to excited bout tonights episode but then a gain didn't get focus all attention on it.. eckhart stealing the rope confirmed that the scribbled out picture was eckhart for me..

5. Carolyn_333

Carolyn_333 Pathologist

I said the exact same thing aloud to myself when I was watching it. :guffaw:
    I can't help but wonder what Chief Sinclair would say about Flack using the sidewalk as a road.

I gave this episode an A+. There were 2 details that ALMOST
    caused this episode to get a lower grade from me.
    First detail: That dang broken record when Mac and Flack found the Compass Killer's hideout. I hate that song enough without the broken record version.
    Second detail: This could've knocked the grade I gave this episode down to a C-, if I graded it on this detail alone. Why would this detail make so much difference if I had graded based on it? Because this detail depressed me. December 5th. That just happens to be my late half-brother's birthday. (My half-brother would be 62 if he were still alive. He died in March 2004 but I still miss him like it were yesterday.) Anyhow, I guess they had to make it December 5th cause there's not gonna be an episode of CSI: NY next week and December 5th falls on a Saturday, so...

Last edited: Nov 26, 2009
  6. Jade_Nolan

Jade_Nolan CSI Level One

hmmmmm, gave this one a B-. I was actually really disappointed. I swear they have two separate writing teams that NEVER communicate! Could there be any more disparity between these last two eps. in realation to how they felt? There was emotion and chemistry in the last one, and this one felt stilted and choppy. The whole thing was sooooo predictable and stiff.

To be honest I was dreadfully tempted to fail it, solely due to the ice barrier that misteriously reappeared between Mac and Stella (what the heck is with literally keeping a table in between them every scene they are together!) and the fact that they had Mac acting all stiff and locked up the whole time and not smiling once! (at least, if he did, I must have blinked and missed it) *apologies in advance to any Adam/Stella shippers* And that look that Adam gave Stella when she gave her toast at the end...........................the best I can say is, they better reveal where they're going with this 'cause I feel like I'm being yanked all over the place in my expectations. 'Sides, isn't Adam like 15 yr younger than Stella anyway?! :rolleyes:

So overall, meh. Putting aside my character biases *:devil:* I felt the whole thing was bit of a let down. With Eckhart being the "last victim". Please. Quite frankly, yeah it's tragic what happened to him, but he's killed three completely innocent people who also left families behind. I'm wasn't going to be too heartbroken if they couldn't stop him.

7. sjhubby

sjhubby Prime Suspect

i like most, thought the storyline was a little slow. The best part was at the end between Adam and Stella. I am a Adella shipper and do hope they stay with a A & S hookup

8. KnitNut

KnitNut Civilian

OK, I have to drop out of lurker land for this one. :shifty:

So this guy loses his wife in a sudden shooting two years ago, goes bug nut crazy, and kills three people before attempting suicide. And Mack lost his wife on 9/11. These two incidents combined, and only these two incidents, are invoked to remind us all that family is important and the people you love can be gone in a heart beat.

Um...excuse me...didn't Flack just lose Jess in a sudden shooting a few months ago? :confused:

You know, the love of his life, much like Claire and Calliope? Did everyone from his friends to the writers conveniently forget this little fact? Did no one stop to think that he might be able to talk this guy down as well? Or that all this talk about losing the one you love might in some way bother the man? Did anyone even think to ask a simple "How are you doing?" And of course seeing a man implode after suffering a similar tragedy one will sleep well tonight.

Hello? :wtf:

You know, I would have loved to see Flack visiting Jess's grave at the end of this. Maybe to say something about how he wasn't going nuts over her death like Eckhard did with Caillope because Jess wouldn't have it that way. Maybe that he was going back out there to catch bad guys because that's what she would want him to do. It might have made a nice cap to that story arc. Something. But no, a meal out with "the family" and we're all better now. :brickwall:

Really, though, this whole episode was about measuring the size of Mac's :censored:. Because you can put the entire NYPD and crime lab to work on one case, one guy who'd committed all of three murders, tear up the floor of the computer room so that you can now watch every street in NYC on security cameras (causing untold numbers of ACLU lawyers to start sharpening their fangs) and, and tell Danny to "take down" an unidentified man in a sewer tunnel, which by Danny's reply means to shoot him in the back, so long as you are Mac Taylor and royally pi$$ed off.

:guffaw:

Yes, I gave it the F.

9. aya otohata

aya otohata Victim

I gave it an A+.

Reasons:

- Danny's back!!!
    - Flack's driving
    - Frustrated Adam
    - Lindsay's in the episode
    - NYPD family dinner
    - DL's kissing scene
    - Skeet Ulrich's acting
    - I love Mac no matter what

At first, I thought the man on the sketch was Danny lol.

I miss Sid though...

Incoherent thoughts...I'm so sleepy...

10. rmiller31

rmiller31 Victim

While I thought that tying Mac's tragedy to Hollis' was logical, I too wondered why Flack (who was on the scene) didn't chime in about Det. Angell. However, it seemed like Mac probably sized up the bizzare hallucination situation the quickest and reacted to it the best he could. Not that Flack is stupid, but I bet Hollis' one way conversation with the late Calliope had him scratching his head a moment longer than Mac. Perhaps he felt his chiming in afterwards would have been unnecessary and possibly disrupted the bond Mac was establishing.

Was I the only one who thought Adam might, against his better judgement, bring in his blonde nemesis and form a bond with her when Mac suggested "another set of eyes" might be helpful? Other than that, it was nice to see all of the regulars, except for Sid, actively involved in the case.

Although the toast to teamwork was a little too obvious a way to bring closure to this first arc, it still worked IMHO as a bookend to last season's cliffhanger shooting in a similar scene. Flack and Danny are now both on the road to recovery from their respective traumas and Hawkes is finding his footing financially again (a little too quickly perhaps, but that doesn't mean there still won't be setbacks for them). After such a serious case, the epilogue provided a reminder that even driven CSI's can have fun, laugh, smile, and even kiss.

Well, thanks for letting a newcomer put in his two cents. :)

11. Fwuzzfwuzz

Fwuzzfwuzz Hit and Run

I really like this episode - the ending made me happy and hungry even though it was a bit cheesy on both fronts.

I really don't think Flack talking the suspect down was really plausible. I think Mac had already healed from Claire's death and Flack talking about Angell's death may have been to difficult for him. Plus Mac's was a little bit more relatable since he was talking about his wife and not his girlfriend.

Anyways that broken record freaked me out. I was expecting it to blow up or something. haha But the whole underground 50's house reminded me strongly of the Brendan Frasier movie, "Blast from the past" especially the fake backyard.

The whole camera things was fun and just made Adam look super smart. Him frustrated was so cute. He takes his job so seriously.

The whole chase scene with Danny and flack and the camera's had me at the edge of my seat. Moreso for the fact I was expecting Danny to collapse and then to lose the suspect. But no, he was fine and could even do a backwards summersault out of a busy street. (Oh come on! :wtf:)
    Although, I was very happy the Danny and Flack duo were back in action. I love their banter and the whole Super!Hawkes thing was getting old.

I really like the editing in this episode. The choppy flashbacks that kept on coming in and out made it kind of freaky but I thought it was a nice touch.
    Plus, I wonder if they really filmed Manhattanhenge or whatever. I'd like to see that in person.

I really like the ending and I totally know what you guys mean about that "Adam look". Although I was more focused on the fact that he was wearing a tie and looked very dapper. Although I was confused when Mac was asking for his couch back when the episode that he offered a place for Hawkes he said he had a spare room. I guess Mac was meaning his Living room. haha.

12. EngleBarn

EngleBarn Rookie

Alrighties, a few quick thoughts on the episode.

I didn't like it all too much, felt like too much desperate chasing through the streets,(how big are the chances of finding him on those cameras anyhow?) And too little science.

Sid missing, was a big loss for the episode, especially the final scene.

But I have to say, Yay for continuity, at least they remembered that Hawkes had been staying with Mac the past couple of episodes... Loved his comment about the place being unfurnished. Anyhow, I think, what brought the episode up, in my book, was the dinner scene, so great to watch the whole team (almost) interact on a more private level, instead of just work, work, work all the time.

Also loved the Adam/Stella look in the end, how sweet was that? I'm sticking with my guts here, those two aren't done with each other yet.

13. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

A-

I was surprised at how much I was just able to sit back and enjoy this one. Yes, it was basically a simple "chase the killer" episode, but I actually liked the pacing--it was intense and fast without throwing a ton of information at us. And some of the scenes, like the pursuits in the tunnels and when Danny and Flack chased the man they thought was the killer, really built some intensity.

What I really liked was the way we finally got to see a reaction from Lindsay over nearly losing Danny in the bar (or fearing that she would). Lindsay is the last character I'd expect to relate to the Compass Killer's anger and guilt, but I love that she did, and it was another one of those moments where I felt like her character could be so much more interesting than she actually is. I liked seeing that darkness in her, and seeing her refer to the guilt and anger she felt over what happened to Danny.

That final scene with Eckhart being confronted by his wife as he's about to shoot himself really moved me. Really powerful scene, and great acting from both Ulrich and the woman playing his wife.

The team scene at the end was fun, especially the Mac and Hawkes banter. Those two so rarely let loose, so it was fun to see that happen.

My two quibbles? Why was Danny, who is just now walking, being put on a really, really important manhunt? And why didn't see a little more from Flack with regards to relating to the killer and just generally not being totally fine. I don't want to see his issues totally dropped. Other than those two things, great episode.

14. Plenilunio

Plenilunio Lab Technician

Congratulations, writers! I've seen all kind of episodes, from awesome to bland. However, this one is the worst I've ever seen. It was like watching "The Fugitive" from Tommy Lee Jones' point of view. I can't be bothered pointing out the many irksome, pointless, unrealistic and plain stupid things you've managed to cram into one single, unnecesary, absolutely forgettable episode just like you couldn't be bothered writing a plot for this one. Too hard, isn't it?

F for Fail

15. Karlia

Karlia Rookie

Dear writers! Could you burn your scripts because that was TERRIBLE in every meaning of the word. Even I can do better! I am so disappointed I am literally crying. Thanks for ruining my week. Have a nice day!
    :brickwall::brickwall::censored:

F

Last edited: Nov 26, 2009