Grade 'It Happened to Me'

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Nov 4, 2009.

?

How would you grade It Happened to Me?

1. A+

12 vote(s)
    23.5%
  2. A

10 vote(s)
    19.6%
  3. A-

8 vote(s)
    15.7%
  4. B+

6 vote(s)
    11.8%
  5. B

9 vote(s)
    17.6%
  6. B-

1 vote(s)
    2.0%
  7. C+

3 vote(s)
    5.9%
  8. C

2 vote(s)
    3.9%
  9. C-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  10. D+

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  11. D

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  12. D-

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  13. F

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Flack-Angell

Flack-Angell Rookie

YAYAYAYAY! I FREAKIN' LOVED THIS EPISODE! : D
    definiately the best so far this season! : D

Sid in the lab = YAY

And one thing with the scene when they were saving that guy, when Don was shouting, he shouted: "John, what you're doing is VERY dangerous!" :guffaw: i thought it was hilarious :lol:

hill harper = one of the best actors in csi ny :thumbsup: AND HE'S HAWT XD yay

and YAY, no D/L! : D

ohohohohoh, and when adam blew up the orange juice :guffaw: OHMYGOD, how funny! :guffaw::guffaw::guffaw:

STELLA/SHELDON HUG!! *goes wild* YAYAYAY :thumbsup::cool::p:):D

"Can I get you a membership?" "Oh, God no." :guffaw::guffaw:

Gosh, this episode was GREAT!

2. CSI Cupcake

CSI Cupcake Police Officer

I know I'm in the minority on this one but I can't help it. I'm going to start this one with "All hail the great awesomeness and wonderment that is Sheldon Hawkes, may we all bow down at his feet for his perfectness and genuine humility in the face of financial crisis and the loss of human life...and excuse me while I vomit."

This is the second time Sheldon Hawkes has held out on an investigation, knowing something about the victim. The first time he got reamed out in the lab, this time he gets a pass from Mac because he's, wait for it, Sheldon...right. If he had said something at the crime scene about knowing the guy and seeing a girl with him would there have been a chance at finding the girl before she died? Maybe, maybe not, but he should have said something. I'm with Stella on this one.

Loved Sid getting to work with the team on the forensics side of the case. Pretty cool!:cool::cool:

Loved Don's "God no" when asked about joining the sploshing party. Food really does mean a lot to this guy and you just don't mess with that.:lol:

Loved Danny and Don interacting. Don looked happy to see Danny back in the field, as was I.

Is it just me or does Carmine look extraordinarly thin this season? Standing at Mac's desk he looked downright puny and will someone please get him a haircut. He looked so healthy last season and groomed. I miss that Danny and want him back.:shifty:

Thanking the wardrobe gods and goddesses that someone went shopping for Anna. The green sweater and ruffled white blouse she had on was new and looked wonderful on her.:thumbsup:

They better box up those maternity clothes for Lindsay and put them away. I really like unpregnant Anna Belknap. She just glows this season and I am enjoying her interaction with the others so much.:thumbsup::thumbsup:

Adam. Poor Adam. It's funny--we used to feel the same way about temps when they came in the office. For some reason they always moved in like they were staying and rearranged everything, cleaned out desks and put up family pictures on the second day they were there. Adam, I can relate!!!:scream:

I too thought Stella should have been more supportive of him and his OCD tendencies but it's a big lab and things probably get moved around by more than just Haylen. He knows he's just griping because he feels threatened. I liked what someone said about him being self aware. He's a big boy.

Did anyone else wonder if the folks downstairs had a flood in their apartment and why hadn't they called maintenance before the CSI's got to Tracy's apartment?????

The financial thing with Sheldon was a good fit because I don't know of any other character that could reasonably have been in that situation. Now we know that he HAD a condo but wouldn't it have been nice to know what he had before this episode. My sympathy vote would have been greater with a little more backstory. If they can decide halfway through last season that it was Danny getting shot they can darn well spend a few sentances setting the stage for this thing.

Grade= B

3. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

I really liked this episode. Hawkes being front and center was a nice change that should happen more often. I also liked that they mixed up the character pairings. Sid and Danny working together in the lab, Adam and Lindsay, Flack and Hawkes. It all worked.

I was really annoyed with Stella in this episode, though. First she disrespects Adam by basically blowing off his annoyance with Haylen over the rearranging of the lab. Hello? We all learned Adam is OCD. Of course he's gonna be upset by it. Then she disses Hawkes even though she knows he's acting out of character and something must be wrong. I don't like the judgemental side of Stella at all. Flack and Mac were annoyed with him as well, but they were able to cut him some slack because they knew something must be up with him. I find it very hard to believe Mac would cut him slack and Stella couldn't.

I really liked that it wasn't obvious who the killer was. The episodes are so boring when as a viewer you can figure out who done it before the show is even half over. This one kept me guessing and even though I probably should've guessed it would have something to do with financial situations to tie in with the Hawkes story line, I didn't. The fact that they were able to isolate one anomaly amongst all of those fingerprints and then get a clean print off of the pen was stupid, and so was the fancy schmancy machine that has samples of everything known to man; but that kind of "dectective work" has become par for the course on this show. The fact that they did an old fashioned experiment with the OJ and poison was cool.

I loved that Flack could spot Danny even though he was in another building. That was classic Danny and Flack interaction right there. :lol: I also loved that Mac offered Hawkes his spare room. Yay Mac! I found that to be very touching.

Grade: A

4. roximonoxide

roximonoxide Lab Technician

That was kind of my point. It was a crappy way to just get across that he was guilting about the victims, because it said to me that he was feeling so guilty he was having some kind of psychological problem resulting in frightening hallucinations. When he's chipper again by the end of the episode, and I'm not supposed to worry about the dead people that were talking to him just a short time ago I think they should have found a less dramatic way to go about it. Tone it down a little unless they do want me to think he's hallucinating due to some kind of trauma.

Wow, that's some impassioned hate for such a low key character. Anyhow, I'm not so disgruntled with the Doc but I did find it highly suspicious that he kept working this one. Another case of protocol be damned for the sake of the story. I do get tired of the writers writing, and rewriting the rules of their job. That's the main reason I couldn't give this one a higher grade.

Really?? I though she looked way old beyond her years in that getup. Sometimes they dress her like my grandmother, it gets on my nerves.

That's one of the first things that sparked my little rant about his cane in my original post. They need to stop making such a big deal about showing it or I'm always going to feel like it's brand new for him.

5. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

i can't believe i forgot to mention that before, i loved that bit, it was very funny :D

ah, yeah, well i see what you mean then and i think we're probably in agreement on it - it wasn't the best way to show it and although i can see why they did it that way, it wasn't really right.

yeah i kinda felt the same - much as it was obvious mac was trying to be in mr nice guy mode, it seemed a marked departure from his reaction in murder sings the blues to what was essentially the exact same situation, at least in a professional sense.

6. roximonoxide

lol I forgot about that line too. It seemed like such an awkward line just to have to set the scene and make sure the audience knew he was down there.

7. Maya316

Maya316 Lab Technician

Yeah, Mac was really one of the best things about this episode (although I still want to see more of what's going to happen with he and Hawkes living together -- that's gonna get awkward sometime, I bet). It wasn't just his handling of Hawkes that I found myself admiring, it's how he responded to pretty much the whole team. I dunno, I guess I really like it when Mac goes into father-mode with all of them :lol:

In letting Stella say no in "Right Next Door", though, I think part of the issue might've been because Stella wasn't facing a financial crisis? She'd lost her apartment, but she was still okay to room in a hotel....plus, there might've been that extra thing of seeing Stella as more of an equal than he does anyone else (except Flack).

There's definitely an issue with the department rules getting sketchy when it comes to one-case eps (I honestly have no clue what the rules are anymore) that any of the CSIs are involved in...it was essentially the same situation, Hawkes knew the vic, for however short a time; he shouldn't have been working the case.

But I'm more inclined to let this one pass, because at least part of Mac's irritation in "Murder Sings the Blues" was over his slightly-personal vendetta with the suspect/perp in the case (don't remember the guy's name, sorry). I doubt he would've freaked out on Hawkes nearly as much back then if the case wasn't personal. He still wouldn't have been working the case, though.

I liked the sweater-vest too, well, much better than I've liked a lot of her other outfits. The one in "Dead Reckoning" was...argh, way too matronly for me.

I'm fourth-ing this one :lol::lol: That scene was this close to bordering on cheesy, but Flack's line was sooo great.

8. La_Guera

La_Guera Lab Technician

I loved Hawkes last night. I did. Hill Harper didn't waste his time to shine, and Sheldon wears angst almost as prettily as Flack does. However, I, the self-proclaimed tightass queen of Pedant Mountain have a few issues to ponder.

During his Lesson of the Week Speech(at which Mac and Flack were so conveniently present), Hawkes tells the distraught, homicidal employee that he understands his loss because Hawkes lost everything a month ago to a scammer, and that he had to sell his apartment and sleep on friends' couches. All right; that's genuinely terrible.

But...a month? Really? If he lost his money a month before the fire escape drama in one cheesy act, then how has he managed to blow through his savings and retirement accounts? Were they really so paltry? And if he meant that he invested that money in the scam, then I still don't see how he's been reduced to couch surfing so quickly. Most banks don't get really shirty until you've missed a payment or two, and if it's only been a month, he hasn't had the time to get in arrears. Maybe he sold the apartment in a proactive move to avoid foreclosure, but if he knew he was going to sell it, why wasn't he looking for another apartment before he had to move out?

Neither am I sold on Mac offering Sheldon a place to live. It's a wonderful, human gesture from RoboMac, but it's also a glaring conflict of interest for a subordinate who's lied to his boss to be living with him. I'm not saying Mac shouldn't have done it, but I don't think the writers have thought through the ramifications. Suppose a skeevy defense attorney gets wind of the arrangement and decides to lob charges of favoritism or misconduct? It wouldn't be hard since this isn't the first time Mac's gone on the warpath for Sheldon. He barricaded himself in the interrogation room with him in "Murder Sings the Blues," if you'll recall.

I'm glad someone reached out to Hawkes, but why does it always have to be Mac? So far, Mac has saved Flack's life, gotten Danny and Lindsay together after a mind meld with God, and saved Stella's job by following her to Greece instead of firing her for gross insubordination as he should have done. Rumor has it he'll be seminal in saving another character this year. Now he's "rescuing" Hawkes, too. Well, goody, goody. St. Mac does it again. Why not Stella, who was there when Hawkes was released in MSTB, or Danny, who was shaping up to be Hawkes' BFF in season four? Danny might not have been able to give him a room, but he could've offered to get him in touch with some Messer cousins in the real estate business or something. It's wearisome to see Mac as the Big Damn Hero every time.

Stella was incredibly judgmental and obtuse in this episode. She who organized a covert black op to kidnap a Greek politician behind Mac's back was quick to judge Hawkes because he misdiagnosed a poisoning case and failed to disclose his knowledge to the victim for five minutes. She has the teeth-gnashing audacity to "hold higher expectations" for Hawkes. That's exceedingly rich coming from a woman who has repeatedly misjudged cases and hidden information from her friend and superior. She failed to disclose her contamination of a crime scene in "Heart of Glass;" failed to disclose her possible HIV status; used lab equipment for personal use; allowed a murderer to flee in "Cold Reveal"; set up her black op with Angell; put herself before the job in "Grounds for Deception." When it comes to failure to meet expectations, she has no room to talk.

Dear Stella,

It's not about a moved test tube, and you know it. Way to be smug and unsupportive of someone with well established security and esteem issues.

La Guera

Stella wasn't the only one wearing hypocrisy pants in this episode. Flack, bless him, has no business calling bullshit on Hawkes' furtive behavior when he's been lying and avoiding issues since Angell died. He's hiding the fact that he murdered Simon Cade in the basement and might be hiding other demons as well. He hasn't been forthcoming when pressed, either, so getting disgusted and indignant at Hawkes' reticence to expose his shame doesn't impress me.

I did love his reaction to the sploshing party, though.

Hostess: Would you like an application?

Flack(revolted and stricken): God, no.

Hee! Vintage Flack, and it was nice to see a glimpse of his old, less bitter snark.

The case itself was solid, but the ending was overwrought and smacked of vacuous Hollywood proselytizing. By the end, Hawkes sounded like he was auditioning for a bad community-college melodrama cum commentary on the economic collapse, and his latter piffle about "living with too much" made me want to punch my TV. Having a comfortable home and a few luxuries is not "too much." Keep your cloyingly obvious moralizing to yourselves, CBS. It rings hollow coming from people who still have more than most.

B

9. SaraBeth18

SaraBeth18 Hit and Run

There aren't many CSI NYs that focus on Sheldon Hawkes. He is one of my favorites. He did very well on the latest episode :)

10. FieryRed

FieryRed Rookie

Hello all!
    I loved this episode. Good solid case, for once all cast was there with enough air time for each one. :) ( I gave an A)
    Original scenario and Hill Harper's very good acting was that made the episode to shine. Not to mention some funny line with Adam and Lindsay and the... ant farm!
    What I didn't like was the gap between the police station and the suspect's chase... Also if I am not mistaken when a police officer is involved with ongoing investigation is removed from the case and doesn't chase suspects etc... Am I correct?
    I loved Stella's supportive hug at the end and Mac that was there for him. Dear La_Guera I am sorry I don't agree with you. :) I think that she was trying to reassure Adam and to make him pass these little and insignificant things like moving around the test tubes, I guess it's her way of reassuring. Also about Stella and her being a hypocrite you are correct in what you say about what she did in past cases but I think she felt that way because she indeed has high expectations from him... I mean think of it like a mother that might have done some "mistakes" in the past but wants her children to be perfect thus having high expectations. That's my POV

PS did anyone jump with Sheldon's imagination of talking corpses??? I did 'cause I had headphone on and well was a bit too loud too sudden and made me jump :lol:
    PS2: Does anyone else think that Lindsay's wardrobe needs to be burned and replaced completely??
    Ps3: I love Danny’s new look :thumbsup::drool:
    Have a great evening!

11. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

Put me on the list of people who thought that was funny. It was such a Captain Obvious moment, but something about it just struck me as hilarious. :p

That's not how I saw it. I think the point was for the others to acknowedge that Hawkes isn't perfect despite their expectations - and support him anyway because he's their friend. That was my impression of the situation. Yeah, he screwed up - even though Sid said he couldn't have saved the guy (and probably the girl as well), whether they said it or not, everybody knew Hawkes screwed up. But he still had things going on in his life that his friends should (and obviously did) support him with despite the mistakes he made.

I really don't like that silly-looking machine with the grabby arm. Next season we'll probably have an android lab tech, and Adam will be freaking out because the damn thing is out to get him - but the others won't believe him because they see no evidence of the android being evil, so they'll dismiss his worries as Adam being Adam. Meanwhile, Adam will narrowly avoid death every week, and Mac will slowly start to distrust the android - before shooting it in a spectacular display of slo-mo badassery and sparks flying everywhere as the evil robot falls to the ground. Dun dun duuuun!

(Actually, I'd watch that - not gonna lie. :p)

It reminds me of Heroes - they'll come up with something like Claire's blood bringing a person back from the dead, but then later on when it's not convenient to the plot (or perhaps too convenient), they come up with some lame extra rule that doesn't make sense given the previous rules they created.

That outfit screamed 'elderly school librarian' to me, but the outfit she had on later was nice. I dunno, I'm not a fashion expert. Maybe that's a hot look these days. :lol:

I'd seen the preview, so I didn't jump the first time - and I was expecting it the second time. However, my mother didn't know it was coming the first time, so she freaked out - and my little sister was like, 'Well, I just peed my pants' after it happened with the girl. :lol:

12. Dreamboat

Dreamboat Rookie

Did anyone find it curious that cops would show up at 2am with a "No Knock" warrant for a white-collar embezzler? I realize it was done for the plotline, but does it make sense otherwise?

13. Messers fan

Messers fan Rookie

I found it weird too I mean there is no urgency to catch this guy don't they have to wait until 6 am (like in France):confused::confused::confused:

About Flack "very dangerous" :lol::lol::lol: count me on this list too

14. roximonoxide

There were a couple of rushed moments towards the end of the ep; this part, the cut between the office and the chase, the uncovering of the real perp, but it was clear to me whatever was going to happen with Sheldon's friend, (what was his name, Brian?) was going to be swift and harsh, since they only took one scene with so much negative subtext about the guy --sure, he was doing sheldon a favor but watch him in that scene to see how quickly he was set up as a villain at first sight. The guy was dripping with a skeevy attitude. They weren't beating around the bush about him being trouble, so while it was a hasty scene to his arrest I wasn't surprised.

I've never really watched Heroes, but comic books are awfully known for that too and I can only take so much it. T_T

I'm inclined to agree with that. She seemed a little weird to me in a few moments over the course of this episode but I still haven't been able to decide what it was.

At least with Flack you can optimistically expect that he'll eventually taste his own medicine. Whether or not his words were hypocritical, that stubborn side to Flack that he gives to friends and co-workers, it came out with Mac in Consequences, Stella in 'Til Death Do we Part, and with Danny in All in the Family, always makes for an good scene.

15. GoodLittle Wench

GoodLittle Wench Coroner

All in all, I loved this episode. It had some slow moments, in regards to the case. But I was able to overlook them.

Count me in as one of the millions of people who found Flack's 'what you are doing is very dangerous line' to be supremely amusing. And his reactions to the sploshing party were vintage Flack. It's nice to see him coming back around.

I felt so bad for poor Sheldon. I thought that Hill Harper did an amazing job of conveying Sheldon's shame in finding himself in such a financial mess. As well as his sense of pride that kept him from confiding in anyone. The scene with Flack and Hawkes in interrogation was one of the best so far this season. You could just feel the tension and the frustration oozing out the TV. Brilliant work by both Hill and Eddie.

Poor Adam. I hate that no one in the lab seems to take him seriously. Stella just didn't seem to get, or to care, why he was so upset about Haylen moving his stuff. Although I would wager that if some newbie came in and moved all the stuff on her desk, she would have a fit. And yet everyone just expects Adam to suck it up and deal with it. It's not at all fair to him.

Oh, but the scene with Adam explaining sploshing. I LOVED it! The whole "or so I have heard" thing was hilarious. Come on, you just know Adam has been to one of those parties.

So, all in all, based mostly on the fine acting from our beloved cast, I gave it an A.