Season 6 Ratings

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Faylinn, Sep 24, 2009.

1. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

With the complete f*ck up with the timeline (Haylen was hired only two weeks after the first episode, which was a month after the shooting, but Lucy is now 10 mos. old??) I highly doubt it'll end any time soon. Why should people continue to watch when TPTB doesn't even give a damn about making the show believable?

2. La_Guera

La_Guera Lab Technician

Given that the writers have been penning the episodes with the dribblings from their asses for the past few seasons, I'm hardly surprised, nor do I have much sympathy.

3. GregNickRyanFan

GregNickRyanFan Holographic Moderator Moderator

I'm not surprised by the drop. The first three episodes of the season haven't exactly been all that exciting... at least not for me. :lol: I actually like Eastwick (I record it and watch it later since it's on at the same time as NY) and I hope it doesn't get cancelled anytime soon.

I would like to see the ratings of Criminal Minds in comparisson to NY. I'm just curious as to how much of a difference there is. I'm sure CM is higher, but I wonder how much of a drop it is from CM to NY in the same night.

4. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

Criminal Minds ratings for the first three episodes:

9/23: 15.42 million, 4.2/11
    9/30: 13.60 million, 3.6/10
    10/7: 13.49 million, 3.4/ 9

5. La_Guera

La_Guera Lab Technician

So, CM is pimp-slapping CSI:NY con brio. God bless it. It deserves to slap, because CM is a fantastic example of attention to detail and continuity.

6. symbeline

symbeline Witness

Not surprised either. This is the worst beginning for a NY season that I remember, and that's coming from someone who stopped watching halfway S1 after being unable to "connect" with the show. Now that I think about it, I liked the beginning of S1 more.

I really hope this is just a bad start. *keeps fingers crossed*

7. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

i think it probably is the worst start but i guess a lot of it is to do with the increase in things like tivo/sky+ and so on, and in internet viewing, none of which count towards ratings (i think...) - this could even explain why one show does so much better. if a tivo/sky+ allows you to watch one thing and record another, only the one being watched gets the rating. i am going to blindly ignore the fact that it could possibly have anything to do with anyone not wanting to watch, and stick to technology as a blame ;)

8. Ghawazee

Ghawazee CSI Level Three

Correct me, but wasn't there a change this year from analogical to digital format??? I understand the change left lots of people without their old system. So another reason to considerer without being in panick (certainly i dunno. I am just guessing)

Last edited: Oct 9, 2009
  9. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

And now CM is getting its very own franchise, apparently. Yay spinoffs(?)

10. Curiosity

Curiosity Prime Suspect

Can't say I'm surprised at the drop either.

I don't think these first couple of episodes have been the sort that would "hook" new or more casual viewers of the series. The cases haven't been that compelling, and the characters aren't really at their best.

If I was a more casual viewer and had tuned in for the premiere, I think I'd wonder what was unique or interesting about theses characters and why I should care about them.

11. virginia-hell

virginia-hell Dead on Arrival

I've not seen S6 but the episodes for a while have seemed to vere from worthy/ preachy and self-satisfied (Hi Hawkes in 'The Party's Over'. Hi Mac in just about everything!) to frankly bizarre teenage boy fantasy stuff like the 'Second life' arc. Only the occasional quality episode (in terms of writing) has been thrown out since S3. Not good.
    So, i'm not surprised by the continuing ratings slump or why casual viewers are finding it all very dull. My humble advice? The producers need to ramp up the Danny/Flack screentime..cuz these two, together? So not dull..;)

12. csiny_65

csiny_65 Dead on Arrival

I saw a comment here that said about 'connecting' to the show?
    Well, to be honest, I have not been able to do that so far this season. Something to me just seems, 'off', as compared to others, for lack of a better description.
    Don't get me wrong, they are good, but I am not 'feeling the excitement' that I do when I watched other seasons on dvd.I first came into the whole thing back in the New year only, and caught up on dvd,having not seen the original arings.
    I found myself thinking that they got so much better as years went by, and looked forward to going to the next, and so on. So far, I think Season five was my favorite of all.
    Perhaps it is or was, that my expectations were TOO high, and I have to admit, the whole Stella/Adam thing really threw me off, as well as the intro of this new girl,who sorry, I am not liking. So perhaps those two things have thrown me from enjoying or looking forward to it as much? I am not sure, myselef,even. The season seems to be back to the 'dark side' so far, to me. Sort of like the first year.
    I guess I shall have to wait and see if the rest of this year, sort of 'brings me back' to it, as much as I loved all the others.
    So far, none have stuck out like some of the amazing work I have seen in episodes like SNOW DAY, CHARGE OF HIS POST, HOSTAGE, VERITAS, just to name a few.

As I said, maybe I set the bar too high...

13. JellyBelly

JellyBelly Lab Technician

14. csiny_65

csiny_65 Dead on Arrival

I wonder how long some of those new ones will last?

It seems as if the new Jay Leno show is not doing the big things they thought he would do, either is it? Seems people preferred him on the Tonight Show?

From what I see of the ratings, it seems as if Crimial Minds and CSI NY are the ones to beat on Wednesday, with anywhere from 12-15 million. Leno, on the other hand, gets like, 5 million maybe?

I really do not get the whole 'system' of it all, either.

Here in Canada, in a post I saw a few days ago, CSI NY beat its sister shows' ratings wise, for the week ending of Oct 4, I believe.

15. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

i think that makes a lot of sense, on a day when there's a lot of competition, everyone's ratings will drop a bit.