Season 12 Spoiler Lab Discussion Part 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorry. I'm not feeling this season. It's all about Russell and I'm not happy.

I would argue this season has been more of an ensemble season than the past three years.

Sara - "Bittersweet" and "Tressed to Kill."
Greg - "Genetic Disorder."
Doc Robbins - "Genetic Disorder."
Nick - "Crime After Crime" and "Altered Stakes."
Hodges - "Malice in Wonderland."
Catherine - "Freaks and Geeks," "Zippered," "Ms. Willows Regrets," and "Willows in the Wind."

And while I'd agree that David Phillips and Brass didn't have any episodes focused on them, I'd argue that every single character had some wonderful moments this season that explored their history and background in a more subtle way...

Greg in "73 Seconds," "Maid Man" and "CSI Down"; Catherine in "73 Seconds," "Tell-Tale Hearts," "Maid Man" and "Brain Doe"; Nick in "73 Seconds," "Bittersweet," and "Seeing Red"; Sara in "Stealing Home" and "Split Decisions"; Brass in "73 Seconds," "Brain Doe," "Crime After Crime" and "Altered Stakes"; David Phillips in "73 Seconds" and "Genetic Disorder"; Hodges in "73 Seconds"; Doc Robbins in "73 Seconds."

That's a fair amount of screentime and development devoted to established characters when the show lost two actors this season and brought in three more. If you were to ask me, I'd say that next season would be more balanced overall. But I really am enjoying Season Twelve a lot and I'm looking forward to these final two episodes.

Sorry. I'm not feeling this season. It's all about Russell and I'm not happy.

I would argue this season has been more of an ensemble season than the past three years.

Sara - "Bittersweet" and "Tressed to Kill."
Greg - "Genetic Disorder."
Doc Robbins - "Genetic Disorder."
Nick - "Crime After Crime" and "Altered Stakes."
Hodges - "Malice in Wonderland."
Catherine - "Freaks and Geeks," "Zippered," "Ms. Willows Regrets," and "Willows in the Wind."

And while I'd agree that David Phillips and Brass didn't have any episodes focused on them, I'd argue that every single character had some wonderful moments this season that explored their history and background in a more subtle way...

Greg in "73 Seconds," "Maid Man" and "CSI Down"; Catherine in "73 Seconds," "Tell-Tale Hearts," "Maid Man" and "Brain Doe"; Nick in "73 Seconds," "Bittersweet," and "Seeing Red"; Sara in "Stealing Home" and "Split Decisions"; Brass in "73 Seconds," "Brain Doe," "Crime After Crime" and "Altered Stakes"; David Phillips in "73 Seconds" and "Genetic Disorder"; Hodges in "73 Seconds"; Doc Robbins in "73 Seconds."

That's a fair amount of screentime and development devoted to established characters when the show lost two actors this season and brought in three more. If you were to ask me, I'd say that next season would be more balanced overall. But I really am enjoying Season Twelve a lot and I'm looking forward to these final two episodes.

I agree :)

Yeah, I personally think this has been the best season for a VERY long time, even though I think the quality's decreased a little in the second half. I don't think it's been all about Russell at all, it's been about the team dynamic with Russell as their leader.

The more I think of it, the more I don't mind being introduced to Russell's family, considering his is the only one (besides perhaps Doc and David) who has family which lives in Vegas and play a major role in his life. Oh, and also I really, REALLY like Russell, so it doesn't bug me as much.

I've said it a few pages back but to me Season 12 has been a stage of transition. One major character's out, three major characters in, all of whom need to be developed along with the existing cast. As vegaslights has pointed out, they haven't been sidelined at all I don't think. I think now we've established a new cast, I reckon we could get an even stronger Season 13, and hopefully a Season 14 at some point too. :)

I agree that this season has been far better then last season. I think losing two characters and trying to establish three new characters is a pretty hard task. For the most part I think the writers have done a pretty good job. The only episode from this season I probably wouldn't rewatch is "Split Decisions" which to me was the weakest episode this season. And yet it was still better then last season.

I think Finn is a lot better now that they've toned her down. Morgan is so well integrated with the other CSIs that I sometimes forget that she has only been here for this season. Plus she's done the impossible and actually made me like Ecklie.

DB's family showing up doesn't bother me no where near as much as Super CSI Ray did.

I hope with McKeen returning we'll get a whole team focused season finale.

TV Guide Must Watch Finale's

Guest stars abound! The episode features the debut of Peri Gilpin as D.B. Russell's wife as well as the return of Jaclyn Smith as Hodges' mother. But it's Connor O'Farrell who will make the most waves when former Undersheriff McKeen returns for the first time since he killed Warrick. He'll wage war on the CSI team, which is stuck with a sensitive case that causes Russell and Finlay to butt heads. "We have a murder that is reminiscent of the case that got Finlay fired in Seattle," executive producer Don McGill says. "It dredges up deep feelings from the past between Finlay and Russell. Finlay is someone who has a tendency to, in her quest for justice, cross the line." Although McKeen will attempt to discredit Russell, he also has his eyes on Nick, who will "really, really contemplate whether or not he wants to be a CSI anymore," McGill says.

Please stay Nick! :(

Susan

TV Guide Must Watch Finale's

Guest stars abound! The episode features the debut of Peri Gilpin as D.B. Russell's wife as well as the return of Jaclyn Smith as Hodges' mother. But it's Connor O'Farrell who will make the most waves when former Undersheriff McKeen returns for the first time since he killed Warrick. He'll wage war on the CSI team, which is stuck with a sensitive case that causes Russell and Finlay to butt heads. "We have a murder that is reminiscent of the case that got Finlay fired in Seattle," executive producer Don McGill says. "It dredges up deep feelings from the past between Finlay and Russell. Finlay is someone who has a tendency to, in her quest for justice, cross the line." Although McKeen will attempt to discredit Russell, he also has his eyes on Nick, who will "really, really contemplate whether or not he wants to be a CSI anymore," McGill says.

Please stay Nick! :(

Susan

Well given the shabby treatment George has received, why would he want to stay?:confused: I'd be happy for him if he chose to leave because the writers at CSI are myopic and can't be bothered to write for the ensemble cast.

So thrilled to see that episode ! I hope for some Warrick references !

myfuturecsi : I don't agree : Nick had a great treatment for three years (from season 9 to 11) he was (too much) present in the episodes, it became Ray-Nick show, not CSI !
but season 12 is a great season for Nick !

I'm intrigued. It sounds like the makings of a good dramatic, non-shoot-em-up, non-serial-killer, non-explosive finale. Hopefully a good dose of the political dealings within law enforcement, which is no doubt where a lot of crimes are committed; and someone like Nick could be easily frustrated by it all. I'm hoping for a Warrick reference, as well.
Looking forward to it.

Thanks for posting, Susan. :)

Press release for Homecoming

THE CSI TEAM INVESTIGATES THREE BODIES FOUND BLOCKS AWAY FROM A CAMPAIGN DINNER, ON THE 12th SEASON FINALE OF “CSI: CRIME SCENE INVESTIGATION,” WEDNESDAY, MAY 9

Guest Stars Include Peri Gilpin (“Frasier”) as D.B. Russell’s wife, Barbara, Enrique Murciano (“Without a Trace”) as Detective Carlos Moreno, Conor O’Farrell (“Justified”) Reprising His Role as Former Undersheriff Jeffrey McKeen and Jaclyn Smith (Charlie’s Angels) as Hodges’ Mother, Olivia

“Homecoming” – The CSI team investigates three dead bodies just blocks away from a campaign dinner, they think they know who the killer is before making a shocking discovery, on the 12th season finale of CSI: CRIME SCENE INVESTIGATION, Wednesday, May 9 (10:00-11:00 PM, ET/PT) on the CBS Television Network. Guest Stars Include Peri Gilpin (“Frasier”) as Barbara Russell, Enrique Murciano (“Without a Trace”) as Detective Carlos Moreno, Conor O’Farrell (“Justified”) who reprises his role as Undersheriff Jeffrey McKeen and Jaclyn Smith (“Charlie’s Angels”) as Olivia Hodges.

SERIES REGULARS:

Ted Danson (D.B. Russell)
Elisabeth Shue (Julie Finlay)
George Eads (Nick Stokes)
Paul Guilfoyle (Captain Jim Brass)
Jorja Fox (Sara Sidle)
Eric Szmanda (Greg Sanders)
Robert David Hall (Dr. Robbins)
David Berman (David Phillips)
Wallace Langham (Hodges)
Elisabeth Harnois (Morgan Brody)

GUEST CAST:

Marc Vann (Conrad Ecklie)
Peri Gilpin (Barbara Russell)
Brooke Nevin (Maya)
Mia Hayes (Kaitlyn)
Craig Sheffer (Jack Gilmore)
Enrique Murciano (Detective Carlos Moreno)
Jeremy Glazer (David Winnock)
Barbara Eve Harris (Sheriff Sherry Liston)
Billy Magnussen (Detective Michael Crenshaw)
Conor O’Farrell (Undersheriff McKeen)
Mike Starr (Dominic Bruno)
Jaclyn Smith (Olivia Hodges)
Peter Onorati (Detective Luke Kimball)

DIRECTED BY: Alec Smight
STORY BY: Christopher Barbour and Larry M. Mitchell
TELEPLAY BY: Christopher Barbour and Don McGill

Susan

Thanks Sharp. I was totally oblivious to doing that, was staring at it saying 'oops, already had that one!'. :lol: :rolleyes:

I was hoping for some spoilers :lol: must be careful what I wish for

Hm hope McKeen's return effects Sara, Brass, Greg, and such too, not just Nick

Unless he's leaving then that's a different story but I don't think he is

ETA: ^ I think you mean Homecoming not Homebodies

I sure hope it's a two hour finale! :lol: That's a lot of stuff to have in there. Really looking forward to it!

ETA:
From TV Guide online...

I need some CSI finale info. How will the characters react to McKeen's return? — Mark
ADAM: Few CSIs have more animosity toward McKeen than Nick, so he's the one to keep your eyes on. In particular, look for Nick to crumble when McKeen's scheming brings the team's credibility into question. "By the end of the finale, Nick will be in a place where he's questioning how the wheels of justice work and also questioning his role in that system," executive producer Don McGill says. "It will bring him to an existential crisis where he really, really contemplates whether or not he wants to be a CSI anymore." Hmm... George Eads is heading into contract negotiation. Say it with me: Eek!

Last edited:

With all due respect, McKeen killed Nick's best friend..so..but whatever you say..

I really am looking forward to this one!

I understand that you would like to give everyone a piece of cake when McKeen is back but we all know that the whole McKeen killing Warrick thing took a toll on Nick more so than on everyone else. I'm not saying the others were not effected but I think for Nick it was the hardest thing to go through in his career as a CSI... only makes sense that he might be featured more in this one.

Last edited:
Well given the shabby treatment George has received, why would he want to stay?:confused: I'd be happy for him if he chose to leave because the writers at CSI are myopic and can't be bothered to write for the ensemble cast.
Sorry to disappoint you, but it's not the Nick and Langston crime-fighting duo anymore. Surely given his father's health, George would have wanted less time at the start of the year? Not to mention the two Nick-centric episodes (as well as the one which was re-written) we got this season. Gee, the writers really are thoughtless. :rolleyes:

I've got to admit, I was initially a little ambivalent about the finale but the more I'm hearing from it, the more I'm liking the sound of it. The guest cast alone should be a good indicator that this is shaping up to be a pretty solid episode. The only thing I'm still unsure on is the possibility of a cliffhanger.

Oh, and a lovely diner scene with the new team (ie "Strip Strangler") would be lovely to see too. :)

ETA:
From TV Guide online...

I need some CSI finale info. How will the characters react to McKeen's return? — Mark
ADAM: Few CSIs have more animosity toward McKeen than Nick, so he's the one to keep your eyes on. In particular, look for Nick to crumble when McKeen's scheming brings the team's credibility into question. "By the end of the finale, Nick will be in a place where he's questioning how the wheels of justice work and also questioning his role in that system," executive producer Don McGill says. "It will bring him to an existential crisis where he really, really contemplates whether or not he wants to be a CSI anymore." Hmm... George Eads is heading into contract negotiation. Say it with me: Eek!

This bit of info sparks some more interest for me. Wonder how the team's "credibility" will be put into question?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back