Would You Like Lindsay Better If She'd Been Consistent?

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, May 27, 2007.

1. chaostheory08

chaostheory08 CSI Level Three

The "dislike" with Danny is again, rooted in the writing. If Stella's victimized all the time -- Danny's a male version of that. The "why me" factor of Danny comes from all around him: why am I a magnet of screw ups and troubles, why am I having a hard time proving myself without looking cocky....

Lol, me too (I know that is taken literally) :lol: . But I think what the poster is gunning for is she has been through a lot (she has?) .

TPTB will never take notice because they either write the show as they go along or they already have a blueprint as to where it'll go.

2. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

Let me start off by saying that I am perfectly aware that I have a right to my own opinion, and that I've never seen a problem with people who dislike Lindsay stating that anyone else's opinion is invalid or wrong.

I agree that Danny certainly has his issues, but at least TPTB have been somewhat consistent with those issues. The writers have never given me the impression that they had any sort of storyline or personality picked out for Lindsay when AB joined the cast. There were a lot of questions about Lindsay that came out of those personality changes, and TPTB totally missed the boat on resolving them. I realize all the characters have storylines that haven't been resolved, but with Lindsay it appears the trial was meant to reveal why she behaved as she did for almost two seasons. If that's the case, TPTB should've answered the many questions they posed. Why can't Lindsay talk to mothers? Why can Lindsay want to stay at a crime scene where teenagers have been brutally slaughtered and even mention she's seen more blood than what's at the scene, but then run away from a crime scene when she'd have to cross paths with the mother? Why can Lindsay make a casual comment when finding a shotgun at a scene if her friends were gunned down? The writing and portrayal didn't convince me that PTSD was the reason, it is certainly something to speculate about, but it can't be proven. As for Danny "doing no wrong," many of the same people who dislike Lindsay have also made comments about Danny's faults. For me though, TPTB and CG have made the character much deeper than just "why me," and that is why I like the character despite his faults. For the most part, TPTB and CG made him human and have built on his character instead of just changing his personality to fit a particular episode.

TPTB could have had her armed and ready to act like the detective she is when she got to the warehouse. TPTB and AB could have convinced me that she actually cared more for Danny in the situation than she would have any other random person. TPTB could have had Lindsay care more about getting Danny to the EMS team than expressing her guilt and angst. I felt Lindsay's only purpose was to make the Danny/CG fangirls "squee" at seeing him shirtless.

I once asked what was meant when those who dislike Lindsay and D/L talked about the "majority." The answer I received was that for most the word was not being used literally. It was being used in regard to this MB only, and even then it was admitted that there was no way of telling what the true "majority" felt. Yes, I realize that's not the proper use of the word, but it helped me put it in the context of TalkCSI.

I don't really get your point here. Does the fact that there are people here who think AB is a good actress negate the opinion of those who don't? It seems like you're saying people who criticize AB's acting are not aware that others may like her. I've never seen anyone here post that because they don't care for AB's acting it means everyone else should smack their heads and say, "My God, now I see it. You're right! She's the worst actress ever."

I don't feel TPTB changed Danny that much until they decided to pair up Danny and Lindsay. He was still had a fiery temper and quick wit and everything else I liked about Danny even after all of those episodes aired. When it was decided to go the Lindsay as angsty victim route along with the Danny and Lindsay "like" each other route, Danny's whole demeanor did a 180. If he matured and changed because of all the things he went through, the change would've been much more gradual. As it went, his changes were all about Lindsay and making him fit within her angst ridden storyline.

I've never seen anyone flat out state as fact that CG doesn't like the D/L storyline. There's been some speculation and wondering, but no statement of it being a fact. It's no different than the speculation you just made about CG not wanting D/L to happen at the end of S2.

I agree with you on this. I've seen multiple negative comments on Lindsay's looks, and they've made me cringe. If AB had to spend 6 hours in the make-up chair to be transformed into Lindsay, then fine, comment on her being unattractive all day long. The bottom line is Lindsay looks the way she does because that's how AB looks. It's one thing to criticize Lindsay's wardrobe, but to actually criticize her physical appearance to me is unnecessary and I don’t really get how it’s not considered inappropriate as comments about other actors on the show are.

The thread died down because the conversation went through the spoilers for the season finale. Other threads, like the grade the episode threads, still talked about Lindsay and AB’s portrayal up through the end of the season. This thread was started to see the ratio of who liked what as far as Lindsay's character and because many said they liked the "tough, funny chick" it was asked if she were returned to that personality would those who dislike her now be able to put that aside and enjoy the character. To say the dislike of Lindsay is all about Danny doesn't hold any water considering the amount of posts with specific reasons that have nothing to do with Danny as to why she is disliked

On the DVD commentaries it has been noted by several that message boards are looked at. I don't think anyone who dislikes Lindsay has kidded themselves that posting will make TPTB change the show's course dramatically; but I think we feel it's good to express our honest opinion instead of just kissing ass and saying everything about the show is wonderful. I know I'd do that even if TPTB said they don't look online at what fans are saying. Just because I like the show overall doesn't mean I will just "Shutup, stop over analyzing and enjoy." Last time I checked I didn't have a lobotomy. I actually have an opinion about things, even if it is just a TV show, and I enjoy having an outlet for those opinions. What's the point of having a message board if everyone just posts "We love everything and everyone on CSI: NY! Don't change a thing?"

3. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

Well, it seems like the majority of your posts are meant to inform other people that they're wrong in some form or another. Granted, I tend to skim...

Danny has his issues, which people have discussed since season one and continue to discuss even now. And yet, this is a thread about Lindsay, so I don't think it needs to turn into 'well, Danny is totally worse!' I like Danny, but even I don't want every damn thread to be all about him.

They wrote the episode--they could have created a place for her. She didn't have to fit into some existing role in the episode to be given something to do. For me, it seemed like they made sure to include her and Danny getting their freak on but didn't bother to spend time on her otherwise.

O RLY? Then I really wish people would stop telling me that other people like something and that other message boards are filled with people who love this-or-that. :rolleyes:

Duh. Doesn't change how I feel about it.

Yeah, I've seen people say that Emily is a bad actress and Calleigh is a bad character--I don't agree, but I also don't sit there and tell them that not everybody agrees with them. I assume that they know this--they aren't idiots, after all.

Let's change a few little words to make my point here:

To keep coming back to CG liking the storyline is just an assumption.

Everything you said regarding the D/L stuff and how Carmine may or may not feel is no more accurate or inaccurate than anything else anybody has said.

Hey! Here's a thought: if I want to avoid people thinking that I'm jealous, I should discuss the characters and the episodes and put time and thought into my responses.

Oh wait, I already do that.

If people want to read "I don't like Lindsay" as "OMG LINDSAY IS TAKING CARMINE FROM ME!" then they're going to see that regardless of anything else a person says. I can and have given (what I believe to be) intelligent and in-depth contributions to various discussions, and yet people still assume that I'm just jealous of Lindsay? :rolleyes:

You'll also kindly notice that the people who discussed baby weight were not just those who don't like Lindsay, so don't generalize.

Threads like that are active in spurts--such as when spoilers come out, and "Sleight Out of Hand" was Lindsay's first episode after Anna's maternity leave. See it how you wish. *shrug*

This thread is about having some discussion during the hiatus, when things usually die down in the forum. Are we only supposed to discuss certain characters at certain times? :rolleyes:

No shit, Sherlock.

If I came here trying to influence the writers, I would have given up long before Danny and Lindsay were boinking on the pool table. Sometimes, people just like to have discussion for discussion's sake.

No thanks. If I want mindless entertainment, I'll go play that game with the paint blobs on the Neopets site. :rolleyes:

To actually answer the questions that the thread is about:

I don't know that I'll ever really like Lindsay, but I think the writers have the chance to keep me from actively disliking her. Consistency would be nice, and tailoring the character to the actress's strengths would be even better. At this point, I don't forsee joining the legions of Lindsay fans, but hey, never say never, right?

4. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

paigeS, it seems to me that this thread wasn't really about Danny at all before your post. ;) To me, your argument simply seems like a rehash of your one in the spoiler thread, but if you'd read the opening post in this thread and the ones that followed, you'd see that's not really what we're discussing here. Moving back on topic...

dl_shipper34, I think Lindsay storming out of an interrogation in "All Access" made her actions more about her drama than Stella in that episode. If she'd really been focused on Stella, she would have quietly expressed her concerns to Mac or Danny at an appropriate point and asked how she could have helped, not gone all Drama Queen and interrupted their work and basically put Danny in a situation where he was forced to chase after her and figure out what was wrong. I really detested her in that moment because it was wretchedly self-centered behavior. Why not show Lindsay visiting Stella in the hospital if they wanted to show how concerned she was? The whole thing kind of came out of left field anyway.

As for would I like her if she went back to being the funny, tough chick...I'm not sure. The character has really grated on my nerves for so long, and I feel like the cool things about her--her tackling suspects and getting excited about nerdy science stuff--are in the distant past. I don't know if the writers can just go back and make her palatable. But, I'm an optimist so I'll wait and see in season four. I think no matter what, given the inconsistencies and Anna's limited acting abilities, she'll remain the show's weakest link.

5. althea

althea Lab Technician

I voted that I don't like the character at all. Part of the problem for me with Lindsay is Anna Belknap I just don't think she is a great actor or even a good one for that matter. I find her utterly unbelievable when she's little miss perfect or brown nosing or having fun she tries to sell that but I'm not buying. Lindsay has been working on my nerves ever since she wandered into that zoo scene and well nothing much has changed for me where she is concerned.

6. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

Anna is honestly a big part of the problem for me, too. She's just been so awful in some of her scenes, like the one where she yelled at Stella and then cried in the morgue in "Silent Night." I've never seen an actress on a primetime show less capable of handling dramatic scenes. That really takes me out of the moment and makes it hard for me to believe in Lindsay as a character, period.