Would You Like Lindsay Better If She'd Been Consistent?

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, May 27, 2007.

1. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

Part of my problem with Lindsay is that in the two seasons she's been on the show, she's been all over the place. She started off as a Brown-noser/Little Miss Perfect and then kind of transitioned into a the Funny Tough Chick and then Angst Woman and then Obsessed Girl (obsessed with killer's motives or Danny, take your pic :lol: --I'm thinking "Stealing Home" and "Heroes" here), then back to Angst Chick for most of the third season and then back to Funny Tough Chick towards the end of the season.

I kinda liked Funny Tough Chick around "Cool Hunter" and "Stuck on You," and I think if the character had transitioned from nervous newbie perfectionist to this permanently, I might have liked her. But her angst-a-thon and "It's All About Meeeeee!!!!" histronics in episodes like "All Access," "Stealing Home," "Love Run Cold," "Oedipus Hex," and "Silent Night" pretty much totally turned me off to the character. And while I'm glad the angst has been dropped, the transition back felt too abrupt and more like a total personality change than her simply finally putting her issues to rest and moving on.

So my question is, would you have liked Lindsay better if she'd been a more consistent character, and not one that went through sudden personality changes? Or would it have not made a difference? Or do you like her anyway?

2. lookaboomerang

lookaboomerang Coroner

I really don't think it would have mattered one way or the other for me. I haven't really liked her from day 1. I can't quite put my finger on why I don't really like her, I just don't. I think part of it was because I'm really partial to Aiden. I LOVED her and I loved what she did for Danny. When she left, it was like she took a little part of him away with her. That, and I despise change. :lol: It takes me forever to warm to someone, if I ever do. Then, Lindsay steps in with her perfectly coiffed hair and knows everything about everything and struts through the lab with her nose in the air.

She's just really boring for me. I did not care about her little Montana storyline, the fact that she watched her friends get killed, etc. None of that interested me at all. I don't think they'll ever be able to do anything to her to make me like her or be interested in anything she does. I know it sounds terrible and harsh, but there's more interesting things going on on the show than Lindsay.

3. MichelleK

MichelleK Pathologist

I agree. No matter how they had written the character, it was very hard from the get go to like her. They replaced Aiden way too quickly and from the first season, and even now we have to deal with the fact she's from Montana. We know you are.
    I know the backstory was probably hastily written but it was just so ridiculously acted it made me cringe. I always say if a case was going to affedct her, it should have been Manhattan Manhunt but she just seemed so pissed off at being stuck in the lab. It made no sense and just seemed to be all over the place I know that's not Anna's fault completely but all the dramatic acting that was required, she sucked the life out of it.
    I just wish early on they had decided where they were going to go with Lindsay instead on flinging her all over the place.
    I know it's a nice job to make out and flirt with Danny/Carmine but surely as a qualified and trained actress being in such an action packed finale just as the person to make Danny strip for the fans must annoy her.
    I don't mean anything against anyone posting this - it's my own personal opinion. They should have written her in a light where she was struggling to fit in in NY and she was struggling with the cases. Maybe that should have been the way forward.
    I don't even know why they shoved her together romantically with Danny. She seems everything that would turn Danny away from a woman - but again I don't know what TPTB are thnking.

4. Joolz

Joolz Police Officer

I really didn't mind Lindsay in the beginning, she was a litle scared, a little quirky and not at all self absorbed. If they'd have kept those consistencies with the character I think it would have worked a lot better. Instead, I think they panicked when Anna became pregnant and flapped about what to do. She could have quite easily gone home to look after a sick Mom or Dad intead of this whole (Isurvived a mass murder) shit. In Manhattan manhunt she looked pissed off not to get in with the crime scene, which happened to be the very thing that she'd survived....continuity please people....Now though, one minute she's fleeing distraught mothers, the next she's banging Danny and the next she's with the It's all my fault shit. The character now seems to be all me, me, me, with a side order of me, and me for dessert.

5. chaostheory08

chaostheory08 CSI Level Three

You have a show with or without her, IMHO.

That's all.

6. lisagc

lisagc Victim

I agree. You take any of the main guys off the show and the dynamic changes (ie. Aiden) . . . the show just wouldn't be the same without Danny, Flack, etc.
    But as Snow Day clarified, Lindsey is essentially a useless character.
    It's really sad because I really liked her in early season 2, and I enjoyed the casual flirting between her & Danny. But once it got to more than that, just bleh.
    I like the idea of having two females on the team, but Stella can hold her own with the guys. . . I wouldn't be sad if Lindsey had to say bye. :/

btw, I'm new. Probably not the best first post ever. lol

7. gypsy

gypsy Police Officer

I like Lindsay. She is the reason why I started watching CSI:NY, but I have to admit, this season I have really missed her quirkyness. Lets hope the writers do her justice in Season 4.

8. chaostheory08

chaostheory08 CSI Level Three

And then some. Actually, what did she do in "Snow Day" apart from share a pool table with Danny?

She was okay in season 2 but as that progressed.... season 2 to season 3 -- er...... season 4?

9. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

Welcome to the board, lisagc! :) And I think you definitely have a point--take away any of the other characters and you have a big gaping hole in the show. That's just not true of Lindsay--the show would be just fine without her.

That said, I did vote for "funny, tough chick" because the few moments I enjoyed Lindsay were when she was showing some spirit. I wish the writers had stuck with that personality for the character--it would have been easy to write a few scenes with her here and there being light during her pregnancy. Like Joolz said, it would have been easy for her to have gone off and taken care of a sick parent for a few episodes while Anna gave birth and recovered. The only reason to turn her into the Princess of Angst was so that she would have a reason not to be with Danny, and then conveniently overcome that reason in order to be with him. If the writers had really wanted to concentrate on her dark secret, it could have waited until next season or been drawn out over two seasons.

Since there are so many personalities to choose from, I hope the writers go back to the funny, tough chick one and forget all her whinging and whining from this season. I kinda liked the girl who told Danny he was going to have to work off his debt the old-fashioned way, and I'd rather see more of that than any of the incarnations.

10. ka990

ka990 Police Officer

I did like her when she first joined, for example the "new-girl" banter with Mac in her first few episodes. He was forever making her go dumpster diving and I liked her line in one episode about "This new girl thing has got to stop!" (or something like that) However, since then, she has proved she can only relate well to certain characters such as Mac which I think Top has pointed out in some of her posts and episode reviews. Whilst other characters are consistenly strong with whatever they are doing, Lindsey just doesn't seem to be able to match. :(

11. Islandgirl

Islandgirl Police Officer

I like Lindsay. I don't reallly think she was exactly "inconsistent". . .most people behave somewhat differently during their first few weeks on a new job (i.e. the first few weeks of last season) than they do once they feel comfortable and relaxed with their co-workers.

12. Ticamo77

Ticamo77 Hit and Run

When the character of Lindsay Monroe was introduced to the viewers, I immediately wasn’t pleased. I thought it was too soon after Aiden had been fired and didn’t allow Hawkes to fully make the adjustment to being a CSI. I gave her a chance and I admit, I liked her. She was so gung-ho and spunky. I liked that. I don’t know what happened to ‘that’ Lindsay. That version of Lindsay Monroe would have gotten her a lot more support going into the relationship with Danny. Maybe her inconsistent personality is the basis for Danny’s own inconsistency this season. They really did a number on him.

I much preferred her when she first joined the show. Now, I find myself wavering between not liking her and indifferent about her. The darker storyline just really exposed Anna Belknap's weak dramatic acting and they should definitely give her lighter fare. I can’t wait for next season when Lindsay has to be concerned about her new boyfriend’s serious injury. Carmine is going to act circles around her. :lol:

13. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

I liked her when she was the funny, tough chick who harmlessly joked and flirted with Danny. I think the inconsistency was a major factor in my turning against her. And although I don't think Anna Belknap is a strong dramatic actress and I don't see any sexual chemistry between Lindsay and Danny, I place the majority of the blame for my Lindsay disdain on the writers. They've had her so all over the map emotionally and personality wise without establishing who she is or what makes her tick that I gave up on giving a rats ass about who she is and what makes her tick. If they'd taken the time to actually develop the character and her story instead of doing a half-assed, who gives a f**k if any of this makes sense or has continuity and satisfactory resolution deep dark secret plot followed by a now that it's over I've been demoted to a device to get the hot guy naked character, I probably would've liked or at least been able to tolerate Lindsay. The season finale was the final nail in the coffin for me. There's no way the character can be redeemed.

14. CSI_in_training

CSI_in_training CSI Level Two

For me, the last two years have been the years of new characters. there was Lindsay on CSI:NY, Ziva on NCIS, Ryan on Miami, Sofia on Las Vegas, a new crop of ER doctors, and the worlds favourite bad guy Tritter on House. The difference with Lindsay is that she was such a poorly portrayed character. If she'd picked a personality type like the other characters, and stuck to it I might not have minded so much, but after a while you just can't stand her! I always like to give the characters a chance, and she's had her moments, though I can't point out an example at the moment, but she's always changing, trying to be everyone and everything. She needs to join the list of characters that disappear. Maybe we can replace her with Det. Angell, I liked her :D.

15. carolina

carolina Lab Technician

I liked Lindsay in S2 a lot and I still like her although I only seen the DL episodes of S3 (3.02, 3.03, 3.04, 3.11, 3.14, 3.18 onward). I dont think the writers handled her "need to depart" very well cause they started to write her as a totally different person but since she returned she resembles her S2 self more and thats the Lindsay I like.

for me the departure of Aiden was a benefit for the show since I didnt really liked her but I would miss Lindsay when I finally get to see S3 even when I know she would be back so not at all disponsable character for me

as for Annas acting skills - I think she handled the angst in 3.18 beautifuly and e.g. in Stealing home she was great