WORLD OF COURTESY

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Desertwind, Sep 15, 2006.

1. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

This chart ranks--from most courteous to least courteous---in 35 major cities!!! it's a Reader's Digest Global Courtesy Poll!!! Figures reflect the percentage of people in each city!!! who passed in each city!!! When multiple cities had identical scores, they are listed in alphabetical order!!!I was a bit suprised by New York, I'd always heard and thought they were amonst the least courteous!!!

NEW YORK--USA--80% THESE ARE ALL IN PERCENTAGES%

ZURICH, SWITZERLAND--77

TORONTO, CANADA-70

BERLIN, GERMANY-68

SAO PAULO, BRAZIL-68

ZAGREB, CROATIA-68

AUCKLAND, NEW ZEALAND-67

WARSAW, POLAND-67

MEXICO CITY, MEXICO-65

STOCKHOLM, SWEDEN-63

BUDAPEST, HUNGARY-60

MADRID, SPAIN-60

PRAGUE, CZECH REPUBLIC-60

VIENNA, AUSTRIA-60

BUENOS, ARGENTINA-57

JOHANNESBURG, SOUTH AFRICA-57

LISBON, PORTUAL-57

LONDON, UK-57

PARIS, FRANCE-57

AMSTERDAM, NETHERLANDS-52

HELSINKI, FINLAND-48

MANILA, PHILIPPINES-48

MILAN, ITALY-47

SYDNEY, AUSTRALIA-47

BANGKOK, THAILAND-45

HON KONG, CHINA-45

LJUBLJANA, SLOVENIA-45

JARKARTA, INDONESIA-43

TAIPEI, TAIWAN-43

MOSCOW, RUSSIA-42

SINAPORE, CHINA-42

SEOUL, SOUTH KOREA-40

KUALA LUMPUR, MALAYSIA-37

BUCHAREST, ROMANIA-35

MUMBAI, INDIA-32

SOURCE READERS DIGEST-this was done in restuarants-stores-on the street-public transportation-etc..

2. Guest

Guest Guest

Yes I've read about that article but in the French version and me too I was also suprised by th fact that NY was in the first place but I think its cool for a big city.

3. messinwithmesser

messinwithmesser Lab Technician

YAY! another reason to love NY! :)

4. Ducky

Ducky Master of the Moos Moderator

LMAO! Helsinki 47%

Actually I find people in Helsinki very rude. the most rude people in that city: those who drive a tram.

We are not very ... people liking :rolleyes: We are just cold.

5. carlz31

carlz31 Coroner

HAHA! Actually, I thought Sydney-siders were nice...ah, who am I kidding, we aren't nice, but we aren't really mean either...whenever I'm in the city, nobody talks to anyone else, unless there is a specific reason to :lol:

ah, don't worry Ducky, down in Melbourne, most people who ride trams don't even buy a ticket...(we don't have trams in Sydney)

6. Ducky

Ah, I can nowadays avoid those evil tramdrivers, because I rather buy a ticket by phone as a textmessage. It's 20cents cheaper.
    But yeah, people in there are very rude if you need to ask something or help etc.

7. Finch

Finch Funnier in Enochian Super Moderator

Well, I expected Canada to be near the top of the list, and it is. We live up to the stereotype. :p And YAY New York is at the top of the list. I love New Yorkers, they really are nice people. :D

Aw Carly, I love Australians. All the ones I've met have been really really nice. *hugs Australia* I guess it depends who you talk to. People have their moments.

*is scared to go to Finland now* :p

8. Roosey

Roosey Captain

wow, Amsterdam; 52%. This doesn't surprise me, actually.

9. DoreenCSI

DoreenCSI Captain

I've read this article too and Malaysia is, like, what? The 3rd most least courteous country?

I guess all those courteous campaigns here in Malaysia aren't working :p

10. wibble

wibble Corpse

I've always found the people in London quite nice and helpful, though I was expecting it to be a little further up the list. I thought Britain was generally quite polite country, but perhaps not so much in recent years. Courtesy seems to be lacking somewhat of late. The number of readers I've served in the public library that can not be bothered to say "please" or "thank you". :rolleyes:

Actually, I had to laugh at my colleague today, who was sarcastic to this reader who said absolutely nothing whilst she served her. No please or thank you or anything. So when my colleague had finished issuing this reader her books, she looked at her and said loudly "Thank you" :lol:

11. Ducky

^The hotel where I stayed was very nice and really nice people working there and in general English people were nice :)

12. Roosey

Roosey Captain

wibble, the people in London are indeed very nice. :)

13. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

This is just one poll-so in all honesty- if another would take place, it might be totally different-I always loved the friendly folks in Chicago- when I was in inside sales, they were the nicest,and in Ohio and Minnesota- and also the people in the south especially Georgia- ;) so maybe this RD poll didn't even go to these places :( and in NEVADA people are nice, that's why I moved here, everyone is always happy, and also Utah our sister state, nice friendly people, -so this is just one poll- and in Texas, freindly and Australia is great-- and I love Londen'rs so-- poo-poo-on this poll-- just wondered how all you fans from other places felt about this if it was accurate in you experiences ;)

14. carlz31

carlz31 Coroner

Ah, I'm basing my thesis about the city...in the subrub I live in everyone is really nice...I went to my brothers girlfriends 21st party, and I knew a lot of the people, but only because they were friends of my brothers, and throughout the night, as I was sitting by myself, looking like a complete loser, people I didn't even know came up and talked to me and it ended up being a really good night.
    And last night, I went to this music concert thing for local bands, up at my local church, and I bought a few CDs and I got one of the bands to sign it for me, and my friends and I just talked to one of the guys (who we'd never met before) for ages...about random stuff like school and exams and such, and he was such a nice guy...it restored my faith the niceness of Australians

But every time I go to the city, everybody is either on the phone, or has their iPod in, and nobody talks to each other...luckily I don't go to the city very much.

but yay for Australia. *hugs Australia*... wait, I live there. *hugs a tree*

and don't worry Geni, I'm scared to go to Finland now too *hides from Finland* :p

15. Finch

Finch Funnier in Enochian Super Moderator

Ah, all joking aside, I'm sure Finland is a lovely place. :)

Now I kind of want to go to Australia. :lol: You're all such awesome people! *hugs Australians* Oh if only I lived there...