Windows XP Validation issues

GregNickRyanFan

Holographic Moderator
I couldn't find a thread for this when I searched.

Has anyone else gotten the message that their Windows software isn't genuine? I got that message today. I had a valid issue that came installed on my computer when I bought it from Office Depot, but they didn't give me a Windows Disk. When my computer was reformatted recently due to a crash, a valid version of Windows was put on here I believe it actually came from Microsoft's own website. So, I don't know why I'm getting this message, but it keeps removing the desktop background I have activated and it goes to a plain black background and I have to keep putting my background back on there (its not a windows background, it is a background I got from a pc game).

I went to Microsoft's website and to the forums there and it seems like a lot of people are suddenly having this issue. So, I'm wondering if it is a marketing scam or something.

I hate to say it, but it sounds like one of the lovely viruses that are floating around out there. Have you done an anti virus scan?

I did a virus scan. My program scans daily at 6pm. I went to microsoft's windows' forums and several people have been having this problem and the admins on that site claim it isn't a virus. :shrugs: Except they give the same robotic, automated response everytime anyone asks about this issue. They don't address people individually which sucks.

I'm afraid to shut my computer down though. I'm afraid I won't be able to get back online if I do.

Is it regular windows (or the old/orginial etc), or Vista?

You might want to call either office depot and see if there is something you can get (ie disk) explain to them. Or depending who did the reformatting contact them see what they say.

I use to have that, but then I did a destructive recovery (ie back to factory settings) and re-put back in everything (ie updates and such) and that fixed the problem. But Since you had a reformat I am not sure that would be a good idea.

Okay so that wasn't very helpful was it. :lol: Sorry. :(

I'm not sure what the problem would be but maybe, like Destiny said, you just have to call Office Depot and see if they can give you a disk. Then you'd probably have to re-install Windows XP. Are there updates or service packages that you haven't installed? I'm not sure if that would matter but if you haven't updated it lately it might.

I've had the computer for a few years, so I'm not sure Office Depot could do anything. Unfortunately I have no way of re-installing the software because I don't have a disc for it. :(

I don't think not installing the updates has anything to do with it because I never installed them before the reformat and never got this message. My cousin reformatted the harddrive for me after the crash and reinstalled everything. I haven't been able to get ahold of him though.

Well can't hurt to try and check and see if there are updates, they do have a guinue (Sp) validation that if it checks your pc and can't find it will ask you if you want to put it in your pc. Also you should always check for windows updates, it keeps the pc running smoothly. If you can't remember you can go into your control panel to your security center (or whatever its called on your pc) and do it so that it will alert you when updates are ready for you to download and install. I always pick the let me know when its ready, I don't like the automatically do it when I am not there, I rather know what they are putting in my pc lol.

Also you can call either Office depot, or the company the brand is from and give them the model/seriel number and they will know what you will need for the disk. Most are found on the back of the tower. They can also figure out the year it was made, and you can go from there and figure out approx what year you purchased it. ;)

BIG EDIT: Have you tried this out it's microsoft
Genuine Microsoft Software - Validate Now: You can confirm that your software is genuine now. It’s quick and easy.

I found it by using the Microsoft search here are the Results of that search. Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I have it set up where it lets me know when there are updates (the little yellow shield icon).

I did do a search to find out if I had a genuine version. I actually did it two or three times yesterday. But, I just did it again with the link you posted and it still says the product key is not valid.

Thanks for all the help though. :) Hopefully I can get this straightened out soon.

Windows is supposed to be coming out with Windows7 in a few months, so I may just have to deal with this until then. Once it comes out, I may buy it and then I'll know for sure that it's valid. :lol:

Last edited:
New versions tend to be full of glitches. Maybe wait for the third or tenth update (probably a week after the first version comes out).

I could live with the "you may be a victim of software conterfeiting" message being on my desktop if I could just get it to stop taking off my desktop background and changing it to a plain black background.

Oh and this is not really a Windows issue, but I don't feel like starting a new thread. :lol: So...

I'm currently having an issue with the Firefox browser. It will not recognize my flash player (works fine in IExplorer browser) and so I can't play videos from you tube on the Firefox browser. Does anyone know why it would not recognize the flash player when Explorer recognizes it fine?

GNRFan I've been talking to my computer guru, aka the hubby :), about your problem. All you may need to do is put in the validation number that should be on your computer. If you have a laptop the sticker should be on the bottom and if you use a desk top the sticker should be on the back of the cpu. All you may need to do is put this number back in so you can prove to Windows that you do have a valid operating system.

GNRFan I've been talking to my computer guru, aka the hubby :), about your problem. All you may need to do is put in the validation number that should be on your computer. If you have a laptop the sticker should be on the bottom and if you use a desk top the sticker should be on the back of the cpu. All you may need to do is put this number back in so you can prove to Windows that you do have a valid operating system.

Would that work even though what was put on here after the crash wasn't from the original that I had on here? I'm not exactly 100% where my cousin got the software that he put back on here after the computer crashed. I didn't have an original disk (one didn't come with the computer). I just assumed that he got it from microsoft's website unless he used his own disk. I just don't know for sure and I can't get ahold of him to ask him.

How do you put a validation number in?

sorry, I'm just completely clueless on the technical workings of computers. :lol:

Don't worry about being clueless when it comes to computer stuff. I'm in mess if something goes wrong. My Hubby is good for thinks like this :)

The validation code is not tied to the specific disk.

My hubby believes if you go to www.update.microsoft.com on Internet Explorer you should probably see an option to validate or verify if the system is not counterfeit. If the system is valid then you should be able to go through something on the site that will allow you to enter the number from the sticker. This will be a slow process.

I've done the validation thing several times (I keep doing it hoping that it'll fix itself lol) and I keep getting that message that says it's not a valid software or whatever. So I can't even get to where I'm able to put in the code.

Sorry GNRFan but that is all we can offer for help. I do hope you can get this sorted out soon :)

Back