Windows Vista.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Daquien, Jan 29, 2007.

1. sandersidle

sandersidle Captain

I'll try some of those. Thank you. I've tried to download other stuff too but then it doesn't let me because I'm not on the administrator account and I don't have the permission to download it, ect. :rolleyes: Half the time I'm too lazy to log onto my mom's account to finish installing it ahha.

2. BlueCurl

BlueCurl Pathologist

k-lite codec pack... googe and download it ;)

I've just tried it... works great. it's a cmplete pack without any codecs that are interfearing with one another. I install them seperate myself but not every codec works together well (sound/image combi)

3. Yoshi

Yoshi Basement Moderator Moderator

VLC runs fine with Vista, it's never failed to play any file I've thrust upon it. I first used it with XP because it was the only thing I knew that would play .avi files.

4. Ducky

Ducky Master of the Moos Moderator

^^ That's why I love that player :D Even tho with my own comp I've got codecs and always use Winamp, but VLC is <3 And it's very simple to use as well :D I think only annoying thing is fastforwarding and stuff because I'm used to Winamp

5. somethingsdont

somethingsdont Lab Technician

I second/third VLC Player. It's awesome and plays everything I throw at it. When I play .avi on Winamp, however, it becomes choppy (at least compared to VLC). At first I thought it was my codec package (K-lite) but Windows Media Player handles them fine, so I just stopped using Winamp to play video. Winamp is the best audio player for Windows though, hands down.

General commentary on Vista: My laptop (Lenovo 3000 V200) came equipped with Vista Business. The first thing I noticed was speed. Yes, the interface upgrade is nice, but in exchange for major slowdown is really not worth it. I've turned off a lot of the Aero features (transparency, maximize/minimize animation, fading windows) just to get the speed to be somewhat comparable to what I would be getting on XP with the same hardware. I've noticed that after (re)booting, it takes a little while for Vista to get up to a decent speed (due to Vista's memory management, I'd imagine). Also, shutting down takes forever, which is frustrating for dual-booters like me, who want to be able to switch operating systems rapidly. Overall, Microsoft could've done better.

Currently, I dual-boot my machine with Linux (Ubuntu Gutsy distro), and it's quite frankly impossible to return to Vista after getting used to Linux's lightning fast speeds. The only thing that keeps me attached to Windoze is that there are some compatibility issues with my sound and graphics cards and Ubuntu drivers. Anyone bragging about the pretty animation on Vista (or Mac OS X Leopard) should check out compiz fusion on Linux. Totally blows both of them out of the water. Unfortunately, there's little support from commercial software for operating systems other than Windows and Mac, which is a huge handicap.

Okay, I'm done.

6. BlueCurl

BlueCurl Pathologist

Ubuntu is cool! But the compatebility issues with the things I use and the things available for ubuntu has my mind back on windows again. Vista is not my fave either. So now I am back at XP since like August 2007. I have to use Ubuntu for school so I got a virtual machine running.

To go ontopic... I use media player classic. it is just the nerd program I guess. It is clean and stripped. I have some loose old codecs that seems to work fine still. Only when edeting xvid files it seems not want to open it. I got some newer once and tried K-Lite codec pack but I still can;t use all my vid files for editing. So I'll clean all the codecs again and continue to just try stuff out I guess...

I saw that K-Lite also has mpc (media player classic).

7. sandersidle

sandersidle Captain

I just did that and it works. But once I try and import an episode into movie maker it says MM has stopped working and it says some program is reading memory wrong and now I can't import them. -_-

*kicks computer* Piece of crap. :eek:

ETA: My friend fixed it and it works. :D Finally! Thank you all for your help, too!

8. BlueCurl

BlueCurl Pathologist

That is also the problem I have. With the K-Lite codec pack I cannot import a few episodes now. Still working on it here as well. Since the ones I cannot import are the ones I want to work with... I'll continue trying it out okay... I'll let you know when I got it working and how!