Windows Vista.

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Daquien, Jan 29, 2007.

1. pretty_in_pink

pretty_in_pink Lab Technician

I use Macs most of the time but I would buy Vista for my PC if I had the money, because Bill Gates is my hero! He is so cool! I saw him on the Daily Show. I think it was the day before Vista came out. He is reppin' Washington. Evergreen State, G!

I have gone to the point of no return when it comes to my lameness.

2. sandersidle

sandersidle Captain

Oh wow, I didn't even think about the bugs in it. I like my windows XP right now. Maybe I'll get Vista in a few years, but right now I'm happy. ;)

3. BlueCurl

BlueCurl Pathologist

1 | 2 | 3

I've transferred to Vista a week ago on my desktop and my laptop still holds XP although it could run Vista..

In general I am really liking Vista! Transfer between XP and Vista is defenitly not hard in my opinion!

I'm Very pleased about the graphical aspect from Vista. It also can be turned of in case a computer can not run that! Everything is more friendly and easy to use than XP. It seems that most things are at the right place. It is like you have to search less for something.

Although a major point that I dislike the new menu. Thank somebody the classic menu is still a possebility! Everything is made more user friendly but the menu just sucks!

Another issue is minor compatibility issues with some older programs.... But not as much problems I had with the transfer between other Windows OSes. And besides that most just can run and some that might not have already have fixes or new versions avaliable that are compatible.

Vista is defenitly might for general safety for less experienced users. Everything has become well defended. Even a phising filter.

Also the error notifications look more like warnings and are more user friendly and easier to understand!

About windows updater... I think if the whole world would be using Mac or any other OS for that mather.... those OSes would have major bugs issues as well. People are just not finding them because it is not common for attacking those OSes. But beieve me if any cracker out there would go do there thing on another OS they would defenitly be more vonerable than Windows is. And when a bug is being found Microsoft launches a bugfixer that people can download imedietly so that your computer is not at risk. and with a big OS as windows I think they do a damn good job!

4. JayneEmilysRealm

JayneEmilysRealm Judge

Bought a new laptop two days ago, with Vista.. and I really like all the features. It's very user friendly. Though just like BlueCurl says,
    *continues enjoying all the cool Vista aspects*

5. Bev

Bev Pathologist

I've heard that iPod/iTunes are having issues with Vista? Any new updates on that?

6. BlueCurl

BlueCurl Pathologist

I am not a "i" user :p but most programs can all be found with Vista updates or newer versions lately so I think you can assume that that problem is either solved or will be solved very shortly!

7. EllaJ

EllaJ CSI Level Two

So far it's way better than my old OS. I had a terrible time finding drivers for the old one. Vista found all the important drivers for me YAY!!.. Only thing is I can't seem to transfer my back-up CD over so I'm music-less at the moment.

8. Ducky

Ducky Master of the Moos Moderator

I'm too scared to start with a new OS right away.. I mean, they always tell how great it is and then they find zillion bugs and holes and need to update and update and update and service packs :p

Me rather waits for a while :p

9. Bev

Bev Pathologist

I'm with you DaWacko. I think I'll wait a bit and see how things pan out. I'm concerned about the iPod compatability issues. I know that Apple issued an update within the last few days, but its still not 100% fixed.

10. darx2mint4

darx2mint4 CSI Level One

^^Ditto. I've already had too much trouble with my ipod, that I won't start it on a new operating system until glitches are fixed.
    Of course, I refused to get a DVD player when they first came out, and now I have a tv with a vcr player :rolleyes: and I can't do anything with it...:lol:.

11. BlueCurl

BlueCurl Pathologist

Hehe I like a challenge. but so far no big problems with software and drivers and such. But I kinda have to try it :p I'm studying computing at the moment :lol: Can't stay behind!

12. sandersidle

sandersidle Captain

I have a question about .avi files. I love making videos (CSI videos for example) and normally with Windows XP the .avi files would work... but then I got Windows Vista and the .avi files only have sound, and no picture. My friend said it had something to do with codecs or something? I was wondering if anyone knew what I could do so the files work again because I miss making videos. Thanksss.

ETA: I forgot to mention my friend converted some of the .avi files to some special kind that Vista can use but I feel bad making her convert all of them. I haven't talked to her for a while so is there some program I could use so I can convert them myself?

13. nattybatty55

nattybatty55 Nadalaholic

Try 'DivX'- Use google to find it :D

14. that_girl1

that_girl1 Coroner

There is a program on Download.com. Here's the link

I use it to convert videos for my iPod. It depends on how big the video is but it converts them really good.

15. Ducky

Ducky Master of the Moos Moderator

VLC Player is easy and free player that you can download from their website, it plays all vids without codecs.

Tho I don't know does it work with Vista, I think so. But yes, if there's sound but no picture - it's a codec problem