Why take likeable chracters.....

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Ninja1088, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Yumi696

Yumi696 Rookie

-sigh- We may never know, and that's the sad thing about it.

:(
    I'm still asking why, 3 days later. Why, TPTB?

2. Carrieattheprom

Carrieattheprom Lab Technician

Poor Marty. Yeah, that was a rather abrupt change of character. Seemed kinda weird since he hadn't had that big a foucs back when he was still an ME.

Weren't they 'shopping' for MEs during that season anyway? Hawkes had left the morgue for the CSI life, so they needed a new ME. I think they were kinda rotating around with Sid, some other guy whose name I don't remember, and Marty.

It is weird about how abrupt his change in attitude was, but maybe that had been intentional. How much a person can change over time, and how jarring it is when you aren't there to witness it.

When you are watching it as it happends, it is very slowly, and you might not realize just how serious it is until it's too late. What seemes obvious in hindsight, is not so obvious while it's happening.

When you don't see it, it's like a punch in face. This person has changed into a complete stranger since the last time you saw him.

Another of these problems with turning good guys into bad(or killing them off) is that their scenes from the previous episodes become tainted with the knowledge you now possess.

I'm sorry, I think I'm rambling, did that make any sense at all?

3. Elsie

Elsie Shopaholic

:) Yes, perfect sense. I liked your post.

Initially I wasn't that happy with the decision to make Pino a killer. But after such a long absense from the show, it was just nice to see him return. Even if it was just for this one episode. Yeah, it's weird to think that he was supposedly stealing organs when he worked in the lab, it doesn't seem to fit, but overall I enjoyed the storyline and found the episode interesting, so I'm willing to go with it. :)

4. Yumi696

Yumi696 Rookie

^ I thought he killed those druggies and stole the organs after he left the lab? :confused:

5. nattybatty55

nattybatty55 Nadalaholic

While he worked at the lab he stole the organs of addicts that he performed autopsies on but when Sid caught him trying to fix his over time amount (I think that was it) he turned to lilling addicts to get the drugs.

6. Yumi696

Yumi696 Rookie

Ahh, okay... :D

7. NypdFlackie

NypdFlackie Hit and Run

This thought just came across my mind, but why did they do that to Marty? They should have used someone like Chad from season 1, not to be offensive to the actor, but he looks like he fitted in more with the whole drug dealing storyline, does anyone agree? I liked Marty, too bad we won't be seeing him anymore:(

8. roximonoxide

roximonoxide Lab Technician

I liked Marty too. I still do. I don't think the direction his story took should be reason to not like him anymore. I understand that that it's sad to see a character you love fall apart, but if it wasn't for this story we wouldn't likely have ever heard of Marty Pino again. I'd rather have him return for trouble than fade into non-existence like Louie. That's much sadder to me.

9. Fruitbat

Fruitbat CSI Level Two

Must admit the character of Marty Pino didn’t impact that much on me, I had actually forgotten about him. I kind of found the character bland and uninteresting.

So I was kind of under whelmed to hear about him coming back.

But seeing him return as a corrupted character did seem intriguing.

I liked it the story because it was nice to see a character resurrected and to see how he had fallen, and for the actor it was great to see him portray the range of emotion.

The one thing last weeks episode showed to me, was that the actor was capable of SO much more than the non descript Marty Pino that I had seen before.

I liked the fact that they brought back the character with a twist, it would have been an anti climax, and a waste of the actors talent, if it had all turned out to be a mistake. If he hadnt come back like this I would have forgotten about him all together. It was a great ep and a great performance.

[FONT=&quot][/FONT]

10. fm62

fm62 Prime Suspect

I agree. I didn't remember him from before, so re-watched a couple of episodes and thought he was a poor actor and an annoying fluffy character (though he did get good lines in one ep). This episode though, the actor got to show what he was capable of and he didn't disappoint. Same goes for Chad from season 1, he was easily forgettable, but I had already seen him in several movies and he is an excellent young actor. The writers don't give much thought to recurring characters and Adam has only worked out the way he has, due to AJ building the character for himself and fans / viewers reacting to him. The original CSI is much better at multi-character development.