Why take likeable chracters.....

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Ninja1088, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Ninja1088

Ninja1088 Witness

Like Dr. Marty Pino and make them into killers? I realize of course in real life you can never truly know someone but still, I hate how these shows have a habit of turning likeable people into inreedemble killers. They could have shown how low Marty had gone without the killing angle in my option. It's a common show theme but still... it drives me nuts
    As for his wife, as shown by her attempts to give heroin to the dealers, she knew about her husband's drug dealing. It's a safe bet she had a idea of how he made those drugs. I can't feel too sorry for her.

2. Yumi696

Yumi696 Rookie

Yes, exactly! I liked Marty, and then... :(
    I was yelling at my TV about how "TPTB messed up again" and stuff like that... but at least we got to see Sid's character develop.

But why ruin Marty?? :(

3. Isla

Isla Prime Suspect

I also think, it was too much. I know that you can be wrong about somebody, but so wrong? Pino became a mass murderer?:scream:
    And the drug making scene was disgusting. It could have been handled in a more subtle way in my opinion.

4. carlz31

carlz31 Coroner

*pokes post in Marty thread*

I was less than impressed with what the writers did to him.

But then again, I was just so happy that he returned at all.

5. Yumi696

Yumi696 Rookie

Yeah, he returned, only to lose his friends, his wife, his freedom, his sanity, etc. etc.

:(
    I'm so mad at TPTB right now...

6. carlz31

carlz31 Coroner

True, true. Which is why after I watched the episode, I spent pretty much the whole time frowning and saying "But...I love Marty..."

*sigh* I am also angry at TPTB. I'm still happy he returned, because the way things were going, if they didn't bring him back as a drug dealing murderer, he was probably never going to return at all. That said, I'm still really annoyed that they turned my quirky, charismatic ME into a gambling addicted, organ stealing, heroin making murderer. It came completely out of nowhere. I mean, not once in this episode did he even wear his Giants jersey. In the 3 years he wasn't on the show, his character did a complete 180. And yes, as happy as I was to have him back, I'm so annoyed about that.

Though I can't be mad at Marty. The final scene actually made me feel sorry for him. TPTB get no sympthay though.

7. Robin

Robin Prime Suspect

Well... at least this gave Sid a chance to shine, since he was the character who seemed to be most affected by Marty's actions.

8. cSiNyFrEaK30

cSiNyFrEaK30 Police Officer

I liked Marty, but I didn't totally hate his character becoming the murderer in the end. When they brought Aiden back in Heroes just to kill her off I was super pissed, and I almost wished they had brought her back as a suspect to at least give her a better chance to shine and interact with the characters. If anything, we at least had that with Marty. The actor (I dont know his name) did a great job conveying Marty's grief and helplessness, and the writing of the episode did give him a sympathetic edge as well. Plus, it gave Hawkes, Sid, and Danny a good chance to shine as well in their interactions with him and his wife...

As for the wife, I'm not sure that her helping him with the drug selling necessarily means she knew how he made the drugs. Before this episode I had no idea that heroin could be made from human organs, or even that it was made from living things. Marty was an ME, he could have told his wife he could make the drugs from other products and unless she had extensive knowledge of heroin she wouldn't necessarily know.

9. roximonoxide

roximonoxide Lab Technician

I've loved Marty like he loved the Giants, but I'm not exactly against the idea of him returning here to wind up in the middle of this catastrophe and the team learning his hands are less than clean.

While I'm not admitting it was done in the best of ways, I think the idea was a good one. I agree with a lot of what's been said; his "laboratory" was a little unnecessarily macabre. Not that I was bothered so much by the gore as it suggested to me that Pino was sloppy in his work. Sure he was doing a pretty evil deed, but he was a talented coroner once. This might seem like a weird observation, but he wasn't throwing blood and organs around in the morgue, I don't see him hacking and slashing like Dr. Frankenstein to harvest narcotics from those corpses. It made him look like he'd savagely enjoyed the process when that wasn't the impression I was getting from the character. He seemed broken and desperate and driven to wits end, not blood lusting.

If they'd kept some focus on Pino's crimes as acts of desperation instead of coming off like he'd descended into grim madness, Kovorkian and Dhalmer rolled into one, they might have had him stealing bodies instead of killing addicts. And, if you can imagine, maybe we'd even get to see Sheldon or Sid pay him a visit while he's serving his sentences. Alas, things are so often black and white with this show lately. *sigh*

Now I might be being lenient because I do love me some good, gritty angst, but I think this story had a lot of potential. The kind that could, and I imagine will, be explored to it's totality in some good character analysis kind of fan fiction. I also feel that it's too bad we hadn't heard from Marty since his stint in season two. If they'd had enough foresight to drop us a few little hints as to Pino's current whereabouts --why he's not in the morgue any more, or just SUBTLY hinted at the idea that he'd slowly fallen on hard times-- we really could have been rewarded in this ep when it came to a devastating climax and they were all really left struggling through the wake, wondering wtf they were paying attention too while a colleagues life went under.

10. Yumi696

Yumi696 Rookie

I just didn't really like it. It was such a huge transition with no warning whatsoever, and it doesn't fit his character. :(

11. addictedtoSpeed

addictedtoSpeed Judge

I think it was a good storyline. So exactly how many people did he kill then?

12. carlz31

carlz31 Coroner

I think thats why it annoyed me so much. I mean, the last time he appeared he just a quirky ME who wore a Giants jersey. Then they don't mention him at all, bring him back 3 years later a completely different character with absolutely no warning.

And his workshop did annoy me too. I mean, he was an ME and he went to Med School. I think he has enough sense not to be as sloppy as they were showing him to be, even if he was desperate. He's still a doctor, after all.

(I'm still glad they brought him back at all though. This is still better than nothing. Yes, as you can tell, I love Marty like he loves the Giants. He was only in 2 episodes of season two, but he's still my all time favourite character behind Adam)

13. fm62

fm62 Prime Suspect

If it was on a regular basis, over a year, would he actually know himself? I assumed that's what got to Sid, the fact he couldn't answer the question.

14. roximonoxide

roximonoxide Lab Technician

How many bodies were laid out in Sid's morgue towards the end there? I guess those are the only ones we can count with certainty. Maybe more.

15. fm62

fm62 Prime Suspect

There was 15, i think, but they were corpses he was assigned to do the post mortem on, so were already dead. I've no idea what he did with the remains of his victims, maybe we'll find out later, though with this shows continuity record, I doubt it.