Why Lindsay REALLY Must Go (Pt. 2)

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Aug 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

Interesting list. I don't agree with every point, but far too many of them could apply to Lindsay. o_O'

Ok, I have a slightly-random request to make. First, some background: a lot of the same 'great' things about Lindsay have been said since she first joined the show. She's a "breath of fresh air", she brings a "new perspective", etc etc--like I said, it's the same stuff over and over. The reason I bring it up is that, after all of this time, there should really be more to add to the list of great things about Lindsay than just 'she got lucky with the hot guy.' We've steadily compiled a longer and longer list of complaints against the character, but those same "new perspective" and "breath of fresh air" comments keep coming back like a bad penny in the list of pros for the character.

Interestingly, the "new perspective" thing is lifted straight from the original CBS character description for Lindsay (very handy). The request I have is this: where in the hell did the "breath of fresh air" stuff start? I was thinking it was from another CBS release, but I can't find it. Googling the phrase with various combinations of character name, actress name, show name, site name, etc finds a lot of results, but most are just comments about her 'freshness' and such. So where did it come from? Was it just something one person said and everybody latched onto? Or was it from a release like the "new perspective" thing?...

2. WhosLaughingNow

WhosLaughingNow Lab Technician

I always just assumed that someone had just started saying it. You know, just another Lindsay fan. I could be completely wrong though. :confused:

3. Faylinn

It's probably that, one person saying it and everybody adopting the phrase because it sounded good.

But I really don't think she brings a fresh anything to the team, or a new/different 'perspective'. She has a different background, but as far as what she actually contributes...they dropped the ball with what Lindsay could have done/been. Between missed opportunities, inconsistency, lack of cohesion and everything else, the character just seems like such a waste of time and energy for everybody involved. Two years for what?

4. Persona

Persona Hit and Run

Oddly enough, if Lindsey did turn into a psychopath, she might actually be interesting. Of course it would be all about her (omg the superduperdark!sekret started it all!), but at least she'd actually have a character.

That, and the fact that we'd know she'd go after Danny means we get Flack!comforting (hugs or sex, or both!).

I haven't the faintest clue. My guess it's probably just one of those general statements. All I wonder is if whoever said it still agrees with it. :D

5. althea

althea Lab Technician

Fay Anthony Zuiker used the "fresh perspective" phrase to describe Lindsay on her debut on the show I was mulling around in the archives and found this in CSI FILES :

"Her Midwestern work ethic and willingness to roll up her sleeves and tackle any job is a welcome addition to the team where she is quickly put through rookie training by Mac on their first case. Excited and always willing to learn, Lindsay offers a fresh perspective to the lab , rarely hinting at the dark and devastating secret that originally motivated her to dedicate her life to being a CSI."

That's all fine and dandy right but really what fresh perspective has this character brought to the show? How bugs taste? How to be a pain in the you know what and get away with it? :rolleyes:

6. Faylinn

^^Yeah, that used to be the little character bio on CBS.com that they removed. I found that with Google, but the origin of the 'breath of fresh air' stuff proved elusive since it's been used in everything from blog posts to fanfiction.

7. WhosLaughingNow

WhosLaughingNow Lab Technician

"fresh perspective to the lab" Sounds like "We're bringing in something new and different to add on to what we have"

"breath of fresh air" sounds like "Something new a different to clear up the stink"

But hey, that's just me. :p

8. roximonoxide

roximonoxide Lab Technician

Even fresh air goes stale if it hangs around long enough. :p

9. althea

althea Lab Technician

We've all seen the show minus Lindsay when she went off to "Montana" and it worked fine without her hell I didn't even notice she wasn't there so much for the breath of fresh air. :rolleyes:

10. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

I have to say, honestly, what "fresh perspective" did Lindsay really bring? :confused: Am I missing something? As much as they say, "OMG she's from MONTANA!" I don't really see where she's brought knowledge and know-how from there, aside from the one time she recognized rawhide rope burns on the girl's hands in "Stealing Home" and realized the girl was also "OMG from MONTANA!" :lol:

I guess I don't feel like Lindsay brought much to the show period, aside from her own drama and angst. I don't find her charming or light for the most part--she got angsty so quickly and though the writers have made a concerted effort to lighten her up again this season, it's hard to forget all her spoiled brat antics from seasons two and three.

Every time I hear, "Oh she brings X to the show" or "she's got Y!" it sounds like press copy. Say Flack brings snarky humor and you can find an example from almost every episode. Say Danny brings heart and compassion and you can find several examples each season. Say Lindsay brings light and funny moments...and you've got the bow and arrow scene in "Stuck on You." In season two. That's about it.

11. adorelo

adorelo CSI Level Two

CSI:NY dictionary: 'Fresh perspective' - The albility of one individual to create annoyance and hair pulling irritation with just one look.

Or maybe it's one of those things you say when you don't really know what the answer is. Like when you say 'that's interesting' to something completly ridiculous. It's just an answer, a response to the point because you either have no real evidence, or because you don't really know why.

12. Faylinn

And hell, in New York, a fart might stink, but it's probably better to breathe in than the air pollution. :lol:

I really don't know. I think it might have been a bad sign when the character description changed so much so soon before Lindsay was introduced. I found a post I made in here on page 2 (link) where I quoted some stuff about Summer Hamilton/Lindsay Hamilton/Lindsay Monroe. Anywho...

They start out with Summer Hamilton, a girl recommended to Mac by the higher-ups that he is reluctant to hire, so she wants to prove herself. She describes herself as a 'blabbermouth', and she seems meant to be upbeat and funny. It also seemed that she had to adjust herself to living in NYC. Then by the time the show aired, they'd not only changed the name but also where she's from (originally Boise, Idaho), how she was chosen (now Mac chose her), she's suddenly got a dark secret, we see very little of her trying to adjust to living in New York (aside from people saying that she's not a native New Yorker, which is a case of telling rather than showing)...

I mean, the original description of Summer is from the spoilers, I believe, which were written midway through the summer before season two (again, I'm assuming)--so their idea of who the character was changed a great deal in just a few months time before they started her run on the show. I could understand some quick changes making things a bit unstable for a while, but two years later, you'd think it would all be smoothed out by now...

13. roximonoxide

roximonoxide Lab Technician

And I'm really starting to feel that way. It's a cop out. I frequently have these 'critique' classes where the rest of the class gets to discuss, their peers work and the professors never let you use phrases such as: 'thats nice.', 'I like it.', 'it's interesting.' or 'it's cool.', because none of these phrases have any value. They don't mean anything, they don't bring anything to the table. It's just what you say when you look at someone's work and don't want to be too harsh, or you just plain aren't affected enough by it to care one way or the other --stagnance.

14. kinkapoodles

kinkapoodles Judge

I've always wondered if they changed Summer to Lindsay before or after they hired Anna. I've always had the feeling they changed the character to fit Anna. :rolleyes: Of course, if so, that didn't work out too well.

I'd rather smell a fart than the breath of fresh air that is supposed to be Lindsay. After all, the air eventually gets cleared out with stinky farts whereas Lindsay is still there.

15. Faylinn

Well, they changed the name and the physical description of the character when they hired Anna, which is all irrelevant in the end, but it seems like the character itself was changed as well. Whether that was because of the actress or the studio or [insert reason here] is a different story, but it would be nice if, this much time later, I got the feeling that they at least knew who the character was now. It kinda seems like they're still figuring it out/changing things. How can we understand her if they don't seem to?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.