Why Lindsay REALLY Must Go (Pt. 2)

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Aug 23, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. sandersidle

sandersidle Captain

I rarely wonder into the NY forum, but this thread perked my interest. Thank GOD I'm not the only one that feels this way.

I agree. Anna had storylines to make for an interesting character but when it came down to it I was just like (...) It was horrible and I didn't buy it. It also doesn't help that her relationship with Danny reminds me of two akward teenagers with crushes on each other. The Danny and Lindsay relationship is a mayjor turn off for me. I'd also like to pay my respects for Carmine, as he really is a great actor but he gets stuck doing scenes with, well yeah. :p So Carmine, I solute you.

But, I'm not too bothered because I'm not a hardcore fan. I really just watch it for my friend. But I was glad to know I'm not the only one who feels this way. :p

2. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

sandersidle, you definitely aren't the only one! :D I'm glad you stopped by to weigh in. It's interesting...I notice there really are a fair amount of people who don't like Lindsay. The fact that the first thread got 1,000 posts--and that this one is drawing in new people and folks who still feel the same way about the character that they have since her first season says a lot to me.

That's the thing--I don't think the dark secret storyline in and of itself was a bad one. When I think about what Carmine or Melina would have done with it, I know it could have been good. But from her forced "hysteria" scenes to her flat, emotionless delivery to Mac and Stella when Lindsay was leaving for Montana, Anna's acting made the storyline fall flat.

Agreed--there's nothing natural or unique about Danny and Lindsay together. They're just so...tired. No spark to begin with, and the storyline follows a really basic formula. The formula works if the characters have chemistry, but if they don't--as is the case here, it just falls flat.

Definitely not. :D

3. kinkapoodles

kinkapoodles Judge

When they're filming episodes, I've sometimes wondered just what the director and whoever else (doesn't have a clue) is there for filming (besides the other actors in the scene) thinks of Anna's crappy acting. Do they cringe every time she has an emotional scene to film? Do they re-take the scenes over and over until they just give up and go with the best bad one? How can you work with someone like that day after day when they're that bad and not wanna pull your hair out or tell them just how crappy they are?

I agree with sandersidle. Carmine is great and it's a shame he gets stuck with Anna. You know she's gotta be bad when even Carmine being in the same scene can't save it. The only time I can somewhat tolerate her is when Lindsay works with Mac. I wonder how much time Gary has to invest with Anna to pull those scenes off.

I'm just waiting for the day when Lindsay tries to hurt Danny and Flack puts a bullet in her head. :rolleyes:

4. pretty_in_pink

pretty_in_pink Lab Technician

:lol: lol, I feel dumb. :(

5. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

Hehe, such mistakes happen to the best of us. And it got a chuckle out of me. :p

6. Kimmychu

Kimmychu Coroner

Say, I recall that CBS once had this bio of Lindsay before she appeared on the show in season two. But she was called Summer Hamilton then, and if I remember right, how she was described was incredibly different from the Lindsay we know today. I was told by a little bird that CBS had to change most, if not all, of the original character to fit Anna Beklnap ... and they're not happy with how Lindsay has turned out today.

So. Does anyone have the Summer Hamilton bio?

7. Faylinn

Heh, dunno about anything CBS might be thinking with regards to Lindsay then vs. now, but as far as older info on the character...

Ask and ye shall receive, my dear. I did a bit of searching...

Back in the beginning, the character was going to be 'Summer Hamilton', obviously, and was going to appear in the premiere of season 2 (aptly titled "Summer in the City", coincidentally). Here's something I got from CSIFiles

Then a later article, also from CSI Files

And, of course, we have the description from CBS.com

Hmm, anybody else wondering where a lot of that went between page and screen? :confused:

Also, LOL at some of the stuff from the original descriptions. When is solving murders ever 'benevolent and kind'? And they went from Mac being reluctant to Mac personally choosing her? *cough*Way to make her more of a Mary Sue, TPTB*cough*

8. kinkapoodles

kinkapoodles Judge

It looks like somebody was hellbent on hiring Anna and everybody knows she doesn't fit that description. Too bad they didn't stick to finding an actress that fit the part instead of fitting the part around the actress. I see that worked well. :rolleyes:

I didn't realize they had Summer's bio before they cast the part. All I remembered is Summer Hamilton. It's odd that they changed it from Summer to Lindsay. Then Hamilton to Monroe. Then Boise, Idaho to Bozeman, Montana (which they probably got from Catherine Willows). Blue-eyed blonde to brown-eyed brunette (or whatever color you wanna call it :p). Looks like they also traded blabbermouth for whiney ass.

Odd that they dropped the physical description of the character after Anna got the role. Would anyone like to describe Lindsay? :rolleyes:

It's sad that they took what sounded like a perfectly good character, gave Anna the part that she said she screwed up the audition of and asked that a good word be put in, and made her so unlikable. Way to go, CBS.

9. Faylinn

I was scrolling through the old news and came across something else about Lindsay.

Um, 1.) That episode didn't reveal her secret, and 2.) does she really get turned on? Weird. o_O'

I also read the review for "Manhattan Manhunt", and the part about Lindsay rings true to me (although it's clearly Kristine's opinion, so people can chill out before they even start)

People can blame the shoddy handling of Lindsay's storyline on Anna's (unexpected) pregnancy all they want, but this episode was proof that the story was weak long before Anna got preggers. If they were claiming that this episode would reveal her 'secret', then they surely knew what it was back then and could have at least written a consistent reaction from the character.

10. SimplyBlue

SimplyBlue Police Officer

That's, uh, some kink. :lol:

I wonder how she’d dropped that into conversation with Danny.

It's actually a rather big pet peeve of mine when the storyline is blamed on Anna's (unexpected) pregnancy and is therefore justified. I don't find it excusable on the writers’ behalf to rush (and mutilate) a story just because someone’s going to pop out a kid in a couple of months later. There was no reason they needed to push that particular storyline along when Anna told them she was pregnant. It’s not like we’ve been exposed to any of the other characters back stories in a season – they’ve been stretched out over the years. As much as I cringed during those moments (and among others), it should have been handled better and not so hastily executed. Heck, maybe exposing over a season or two would have made the PTSD easier to swallow.

But meh. It was just crappy execution all around.

As far as Manhattan Manhunt is concerned, it was a plot hole – a big one, but a plot hole nonetheless. Not that there’s nothing necessarily new with that, but if it was meant to reveal her secret then is certainly didn’t carry any weight. When I first watched the episode, I hadn’t a clue anything spectacular story wise was happening with Lindsay. All I remember was Danny asking her “what’s up?”, her making that sullen (and apparently foreboding) remark about seeing worse crime scenes before and I thinking she meant previous crime scenes she’s worked. I mean, like she said in “Zoo York”, bears can be pretty messy when they decide to kick the crap out of someone.

But character development that would delve into the deep dark secret that every CSI member seems to carry? Nah, didn’t even make so much as a blip on my radar.

11. poison girl

poison girl Pathologist

I can't really understand the producer allowed to change a whole character to fit the actress. Normally ot would have been opposite. Never ever heard anything like that before, and I don't think as an actress she should be proud of making them change it all. Probably she doesn't even care.

She did the cast and really sucked. Any normal person would ahve go back home and cried, and tried better for the next cast, or would have looked for a job she would suit better. She did it right in Medical Investigation, in my opinion, she only had to look serious, fake a smile and put the scrunge face. That's all. Oh, yes, and walk around the set in high heeled shoes.

About the rush in Lindsay's sotryline, they did it pretty bad. If they wanted to give Anna some free time to have the baby they should have done something different, like sending her to take care of someone in her family, have her on a car crash, put her on coma... Something else than braking a whole storyline that maybe could have lead to something.

12. kinkapoodles

kinkapoodles Judge

Does that mean she's turned on by dead, mutilated bodies? Run, Danny run!! :p

I'm thinking that secret might have been much better if she could have pulled off the acting. Watching her on the witness stand didn't make me have sympathy for Lindsay. It made me wish Daniel Katums would have killed her too or at least knocked her upside the head with that butt of the rifle. :devil:

I just knew Manhattan Manhunt had something to do with her past. The whining she did when Mac told her to go to the lab and again when she threw a tantrum on Danny. I didn't notice it at the time, only after they revealed her secret. During MM. I just thought she was being the whiny, self-centered witch she is. When she threw a fit on Danny for calling her Montana, he should have made sure that was the last time he ever said it and the last time he ever said anything more than was necessary when he had to work with her.

There's always an excuse. Everything except the fact that she's not a very good actress. She's not any better not pregnant than she was pregnant. So, what's her excuse now?

Personally, I want the CSI they had originally planned, Summer Hamilton. :p

This was part of something mentioned in a yahoo chat last night and I'm curious. That stupid card she left Danny, (for some reason phones or saying goodbye in person was too much to ask :rolleyes:) if she hated Montana so much, why did she sign it Montana...was she actually doing something for somebody else? Personally, I thought that was the stupidest card I ever read. I hope he burned it. Who writes moo on a card and mentions cows? :confused: It made no sense. If that was an attempt at humor, if fell way short. :rolleyes: Why not just say, "I had to go back to Montana to take care of some personal business. When I grow up, I'll actually talk to you in person."

13. Elsie

Elsie Shopaholic

I wrote a very long and indepth post and then lost it all! :mad: So this is a shorter, and much less inspired, version. :lol:

Urgh. Summer Hamilton. Terrible name, and from the description I'm not sure I would have liked that character either. Still, I'd take Summer over Lindsay any day.

I actually think this description of Lindsay was pretty accurate. For about 3 episodes anyway. Yes she was too eager and ass kissing, but apart from that I could have grown to like that Lindsay. I don't know if it was the acting or the storylines, but whatever made TPTB change their mind about who Lindsay was, it didn't work out so well.

What? Saying "Yeah I've seen loads of blood and it was like sooo much worse than this..." is not the same as revealing her 'secret'. Maybe there was more to it, and it was cut or something, because having that and then...nothing! For months until she suddenly doesn't like Mothers or blood or crime scenes, hardly did her any favours. Yeah, I'm not a fan of Anna's acting, but TPTB didn't exactly help her out...

As for being “turned on by solving crimes”, it’s funny yet ridiculous and inappropriate. But then it would be nice for Lindsay to show some kind of response/emotion in her work as opposed to her usual lack of concern for anything but herself. Manhattan Manhunt, she wasn’t interested in solving the crime or doing her job, she just wanted her own way and didn’t want to be left out.

Irksome.

In my opinion Lindsay really must go because the character has gone beyond the point where she can be redeemed, and even if she hadn't Anna just wouldn't be able to pull it off. No amount of acting classes or decent storylines can help her now. Move on and move someone else in.

It’s not even that I dislike Lindsay that much, I find that I have mastered the art of blanking her from my mind. Most of the time I don’t even notice that she is on screen, which works well for my sanity, but is hardly the sign of a great character. :p

14. Springmoon

Springmoon CSI Level Two

Yep, for the first few episodes. Remember that Lindsay who got into the dumpster and made an actual joke about being hazed (I don't remember, Bad Beat, maybe?)? She fits that description. The character has since enjoyed a downward spiral of suck ever since.

And that is not to say that the other actors don't have off days, because they very clearly do; no one is 100% consistently fabulous on this show. However, she is more consistently bad than consistently good.

What happened to that Midwestern work ethic? That person would not abandon a crime scene with dead teenagers, nor would she whine about being sent back to the lab. Maybe is Mac mandated some counseling for Lindsay that requires her to be gone for a few episodes, then she comes back with a new attitude? And blonde hair and blue eyes? :devil:

15. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

Damn, reading the description of Summer Hamilton...I wish we had gotten that character. She sounds warm and vivacious and bubbly...everything Lindsay's not. Yeah, the whole 'blue-eyed blonde' thing turned people off at the time, I know, but she would have been a more believable love interest for Danny at least.

I gotta say, aside from the physical attributes, the biggest quality Lindsay doesn't share with Summer is warmth. From everything I've read and heard, it sounds like they wanted to bring in a sweet character, or at least someone with that quality (think Fred on Angel or Calleigh on Miami). When I hear Lindsay described as "sweet" I kind of chuckle because nothing could be further from the truth. She's kind of chilly, and pretty much only thinks of herself. There's no natural warmth there.

She also seemed to have a sense of humor, something Lindsay lacks.

The fact that she ever made it to the opening credits is a shame.

Work ethic? Like when she bitched about not being able to process the scene and instead had to do lab work in "Manhattan Manhunt"? Or when she passed off the unpleasant task to Danny in "Oedipus Hex"? Or when she left the crime scene in "Silent Night"? I could go on, but if it's one thing Lindsay doesn't have, it's work ethic.

Though I agree that in her first few episodes she fit this description a little better.

Unless it, um, doesn't fit with her idea of who the killer is, in which case she'll push her case beyond what's appropriate. ("People with Money")

:lol: :lol: :lol: Try "hinting every other episode."
    "I've seen bloodier crime scenes!"
    "Dead mermaid girl from Montana OMG!"
    "I'll make a date with you, Danny, stand you up, and then give you a lame excuse hinting at my daaaaark secret!"
    "You tell the mother, Danny, I can't deal!"
    "Dead body in the morgue--boo hoo!"

Need I go on? We only wish she "rarely hinted" at her dark secret--instead, it seems to come up every other episode.

*raises hand* Yes.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.