Who's da boss?

Discussion in 'General CSI Discussion' started by Guest, Sep 8, 2006.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Hi :)

So a follow on question:

Is Horatio a forensic detective? Is he just a cop? I've seen him in the lab, but don't think he's a scientist, based upon what one of the lads here says.

Cheers!

2. MacsGirlMel

MacsGirlMel Mac's Personal Assistant

hmm that means Hawkes and Flack are kinda opposites...Hawkes is a CSI but not a cop and Flack is a cop but apparently not a CSI...hey is he Det. 3rd grade too?

3. kinkapoodles

kinkapoodles Judge

According to his bio, Horatio has a degree in chemistry, graduated from the police academy (is a police officer), moved over to the bomb squad, and then when Megan stepped down, he took over the crime lab. I'm pretty sure all of the CSI's in Miami have some sort of degree. I remember when Horation was interviewing Ryan, he mentioned something about finishing up his degree.

Mel23, are you talking about Hawkes or Flack being a grade 3? Hawkes is a grade 3 CSI since he is basically a rookie. I'm not sure if they grade the actual detective (who aren't CSI's). I'm thinking the grading is just for CSI's.

4. MacsGirlMel

MacsGirlMel Mac's Personal Assistant

I thought detectives had like first grade, junior grade, stuff like that...well before stuff like Lt and Capt....or is that only in some places? That's what I meant about Flack.

5. kinkapoodles

kinkapoodles Judge

Yeah, they do.^

The following information was found here: nypd

The NYPD administers promotional exams for each rank above police officer every two-three years.

1 in 6 uniformed members of the NYPD are Detectives. A Detective's (3rd Grade) average earning is
    $88,000* (Promotion to Detective is not based on a promotional exam, it's based on merit)

1 in 7 uniformed members of the NYPD are Sergeants. A Sergeant's average earning is $91,000*

1 in 20 uniformed members of the NYPD are Lieutenants. A Lieutenant's average earning is $105,000*

From the above info, it looks like a detective 3rd grade is the highest (going by the salary) before moving on to Sergeant and Lt. Not sure what grade Flack is. He was already a detective when the show started so it looks like he should be in line for a promotion.