Where did the dog come from?

Discussion in 'CSI: Crime Scene Investigation' started by CSIdoglover54, May 25, 2007.

1. Desertwind

Desertwind Head of the Day Shift

Here's another picture from "LEAPIN LIZARDS' very cute the way Bruno is looking up into his face, and the grin he has is also cute! and on where he got him, ask the WPAP people, maybe they know, and does it really matter?

GRISSOM.. BRUNO..SARA

2. CSIdoglover54

CSIdoglover54 Witness

aww you can tell by that grin that it is his doggie! That is so adorable. Thanks for sharing!

It probably only matters to me because of my background in showing dogs.

3. Calihan

Calihan Captain

We didn't crop my boxer's ears because of how cruel it is, but the tail was docked a day or so after she was born so we didn't have a say in that. My dog has almost the same markings on the face, I'll try to get a picture up sometime either here or in the pet thread or both.

4. CSIdoglover54

CSIdoglover54 Witness

Aww pictures!

5. Musicluvr325

Musicluvr325 Police Officer

I hate cropping ears, not only is it mean, but they look so much better with floopy ears. Boxer have such great expressions, their ears are apart of that. I've also seen what happens when they get a poor ear job. We had one dog that had a very bad job done, they hurt him sometimes. I can't put a dog through that.

Now the tails, we had another dog that we didn't dock, he was the only puppy of a litter that lived, and we just didn't want to take a risk with him. That was a mistake. They beat their tails on things and sometimes they become sores.
    The tip of my dogs tail rotted off it became so bad.

And I hope this is okay, but here are my dogs.
    Mozart (my baby)
    Porsche
    Chance (he was found of the side of the road in the middle of the winter.

6. Egad

Egad Victim

Not to get too off-topic, but as far as showing I thought the purpose was to demonstrate quality breeding and training, so a Doberman or any dog's natural ears and tail ought to be left as is imo, if the dog comes from a good line it will show either way -- except in cases as above when docking the tail can prevent it from being a medical issue down the line, I don't see why people do it. We had an Old English Sheepdog bred from Crufts champions (he himself was bloody useless, mind you - bandy legged and a bit dopey haha) and they'd docked his tail before we got him, too. I doubt we'd've taken the decision to have it done given the opportunity though...

7. CSIdoglover54

CSIdoglover54 Witness

With many of these dogs the ears were cropped and tails docked to prevent them from getting torn in fights either with people, other dogs or prey. It was a tradition started a long time ago that in order to keep the breed close to how it was we are continuing.

In the case of your Old English Sheepdog, the dogs tails were docked or 'bobbed' to show that the owner had payed their taxes. This is also why these dogs are sometimes called the bobtail. When the breed was taken to shows it had a docked tail. This became the norm.

In your example with Dobermans. Yes you can still see a good dog even with natural ears and tail but a lot of times they won't win (at least in the U.S.) because everyone is used to the docked tail and cropped ears. These things do have a historical value, and to dogs that usually have their tails docked etc. don't look right with natural tails and ears.

This is a huge debate among dog people with supporters on both sides.

8. pabzi

pabzi CSI Level Three

Maybe Destiny can change this thread name to 'The CSI Dog Thread' :D
    I saw Burked last night. You can definately tell that it's George's dog.

9. Destiny

Destiny Still Sanity Challenged! Premium Member

LOL or maybe destiny can move it to Misc. if the conversation is going to go from "Csi Dogs" to Dogs in the general sense. ;)

Hey if you all would like the name changed it can be done, so this way the dogs have a thread, but warning if a cat appears or bugs dominate, they get to split the thread with the dogs. :p

10. pabzi

pabzi CSI Level Three

How about 'CSI animal thread'?

11. Destiny

Heaven help me if hampsters come into the thread, its going to be a mad house... lol "CSI: Animal House" Sorry kidding.

12. pabzi

pabzi CSI Level Three

"Just how much did she hate them?"

(I had to, you mentioned hamsters :p For those of you who don't know that was Sara in Dog Eat Dog, about Hodges' hamsters)

13. CSIdoglover54

CSIdoglover54 Witness

Yeah you can change it if everyone wants too. It has gotten a bit off-topic *blushes*

14. Destiny

It's common for it to go off topic a bit, but when it goes off alot ususally the orginial poster agrees to the change or we lock it down (depending on the traffic of the thread) if anyone else has some name suggestions lets hear them, otherwise I will be forced to go through and see what I can find.

:lol: yeah I didn't even think of the hampster scene when I said that.