When She Says (Sara/Greg)

A/N: I'm glad you liked it so far. I don't post all of my fics in this forum, so if you're interested, you can find more of them on my profile page on ff.net. :)
On we go...

Chapter 5: Steps

The suit was adjourned soon. Greg was relieved to get out of the stand, still confused about the last questions.

He felt bad that Sara had probably been waiting the whole time for her turn. They had expected her to testify today as well. Now it would be her turn tomorrow, unless something else interfered.

And Greg wondered if he should come, too. His shift would probably be over soon enough for him to make it. But he felt like he had not the right to watch her giving her testimony. Would it not make everything harder for her, if she had to talk while she saw him watching her?

Greg walked out of the courtroom with the other people pouring out next to him. He looked around in the mass of people in the hallway, searching for Sara. He did not see her anywhere and he figured that she had already left, as soon as somebody had told her that she would not be heard today.

Greg gave up on looking around. Now the tiredness was dropping down on him. It was way past his usual bed-time and the exhausting court session had not been helping either.

Greg did not know that Sara actually had not left yet. She had seen him coming out of the courtroom. She had watched him looking around for a few moments, but he had not seen her. And she had not drawn his attention to herself.

She intended to make a step towards him again. She did. Or maybe she did not. They were over it now; there was no point in starting all that trouble again. And certainly not before this trial was over.

She had not liked wasting the day, doing basically nothing. Of course, it had not been expected that Greg’s testimony would take that long, but still she wished she could have been at work and been called as soon as it was her turn. Now she would be at court again tomorrow, hopefully not wasting another day sitting around.

It had been a nice last night that they had spent together.

Well, they had not known back then that it would be their last.

Greg had been working the next night, so Sara had been at home, getting some sleep, only to go in early the next morning, hoping to see Greg before he left.

As it had turned out, he had been busy anyway, so Sara was happy to join him, while she was doing some paperwork that had been leftover.

They were working silently, only Greg’s music playing rather quietly in the background. Sara stood up.

“I’ll just get another file,” she said, walking to the door. She did not come far, for suddenly Conrad Ecklie was blocking her way out. Sara backed away a step. Ecklie glanced at Greg.

“So we’re reunited, aren’t we?” he stated. Sara chose to ignore this.

“Do you have anything for me?” she wanted to know.

“You know why you’re at days, don’t you?” Ecklie ignored her question.

Sara frowned at his comment. She could vividly imagine Greg’s face even though she could not see it right now.

So far she had been able to endure working for Ecklie surprisingly well. As long as he did not interfere in her work, she was fine. She did not need a lot of advice from her supervisor, even though some appreciation would have been nice, but she would never expect that from Ecklie.

Nevertheless it had been going well so far and she did not really know why he was implying now that she was at days because of Greg. She did not like that; it reminded her only of what Nick had said.

He had held the opinion that she had taken the fall for Greg. Considering Ecklie’s implication, he was right, but Sara still did not want to think of it this way.

Greg had wondered why she had taken the transfer so calmly, apparently not realizing what was behind it. It was not really surprising. Greg had thought that if somebody was transferred because of their relationship, it would be him. Sara had avoided telling him otherwise, unwilling to make him worry about it. She had not really protested against Ecklie’s move, knowing they were treading thin ice anyway. She might not like it, but she was not inclined to lose her job either. And working at days was not that bad after all. Working at days minus Ecklie would be even better though.

Since he was only met with silence, Ecklie turned away, giving them some redundant work order, and left. Sara exchanged a look with Greg.

She rolled her eyes, showing him what she thought of her boss’ words.

“Is it true?” Greg asked nevertheless and Sara cringed. She did not need this discussion. She did not want this discussion.

“Don’t listen to his rubbish,” she replied shortly, taking her eyes off Greg then and turning back to her work.

“It’s not just rubbish. He’s actually transferred you and-“

“Greg, I don’t want to discuss this, okay?” she interrupted him rather sharply. If she had not been as annoyed about the situation as she was, she might have laughed about the similarity of Greg and Nick in this discussion.

“Why not?” Greg wanted to know.

Sara looked at him again, soothing herself. “I don’t want you to worry about it.”

She just hoped Nick would not confront Greg again, when she would not even be there to interfere. Nick might be able to cause Greg’s conscience to get even worse. Greg had felt bad enough after the whole thing with Charlie had happened and it had taken Sara long enough to make him feel better; she did not want to talk herself blue in the face again.

“Worry about what?” Greg insisted, although Sara guessed that he knew it very well. Why did he want her to say it out loud? Did he want her to add what Nick had said? That their relationship made everything only more complicated? That Greg should let her go? That he wondered how Sara could trust Greg enough, considering what had happened.

“Nothing,” she said, once again facing away from him. She did not hear him picking up his work again, so she guessed that he was still watching her. “Nick says you should let me go,” she gave in quietly. Greg did not answer for a few moments and his voice was tense when he finally did.

“Do you want that?”

He was not questioning if Nick was right at all. He was asking directly after the consequences she was drawing from it. She had not thought of that. She had wanted him to protest Nick’s, in her eyes stupid, suggestion.

“Of course not,” she replied firmly. “Look, Greg, it may be that I’ve taken the fall for you…” Why were Nick’s words resounding in her mind so much? “But it doesn’t matter. I don’t want you to worry about it.”

“How could I not?”

Sara stared at him only.

“And Nick’s-“

“Nick’s stupid,” Sara said firmly.

“And protective,” Greg added.

“Yeah.” Sara grew rather interested in the file she had been working on before, remembering only now that she had been about to get another file, when Ecklie had turned up.

“Would…?” Greg started again. Sara remained silent. Sometimes she really did not want to worry about this. For a moment she agreed with Nick that their relationship made things even more complicated.

And when she stood up to get her file finally, she did not want to worry about what Greg thought of her brooding silence.

Sara was just leaving the courthouse, working her way through the crowd of people when a voice called her from behind. She had not even known that he was here although she could have guessed it.

She turned around, while somebody was almost colliding with her. Grissom waved slightly to draw her attention to himself.

“Have you been here the whole day?” he asked, when she had finally reached him.

“Yeah,” she nodded, “I haven’t been at the lab at all.”

“It took longer than expected,” Grissom stated and Sara nodded. She was certainly annoyed by that.

“They’d told me it would be my turn today, right after Greg’s testimony,” she said, frowning at Grissom.

“Yeah, that took them longer…”

“Why’s that?” Sara questioned, folding her arms in front of her chest.

“Brody’s lawyer took his time on a few unexpected questions,” her former boss told her seriously.

“Wh-?” Sara wanted to ask, her look questioning, but Grissom already continued.

“I’m telling you this so you’re not surprised if you hear it from somebody else,” he preluded and Sara listened intently, ignoring the people that were still streaming past them.

“He drew into doubt that Greg was actually knocked out and brought back home, while Brody dropped you off in that forest.”

“What?” Sara exclaimed and Grissom was happy that the noise of the people around them somewhat drowned her shout. “But that’s -,” she wanted to continue, but Grissom gestured her to get out of the building first; it had been a mistake to tell her right here and now anyway.

“We’ll talk somewhere else,” he said loudly. Sara did not look happy but turned to leave before him. They made their way out of the building, Grissom a few steps behind Sara. Some distance away from it, Sara stopped and turned around, looking furious.

Before she had the chance to start again, Grissom held up his hands. “I just told you so you know what’s coming tomorrow. You need to stay calm in the stand, you know that.”

“Yeah,” Sara nodded.

“Tell them what happened just as calm and precise as you do it every time you testify for the lab, and it will be okay,” he added.

“Yeah,” she said again, but Grissom could see that her eyes were searching for something she could kick, but there was nothing far and wide on the dusty parking lot.

TBC

Chapter 6: Sidle

This time Sara did not even have to wait. She was the first to be heard today. The morning had not progressed very far, when she seated herself, smoothing down the trouser of her grey suit. She tried to remind herself of what Grissom had said. If she told calmly and precisely what had happened, things would be okay.

She heard the prosecutor talking, while she let her eyes wander over the people in the courtroom. She met Charlie’s gaze calmly. She was not afraid of him, certainly not. She wanted him to get locked up, before he could hurt anybody else, but that was all she cared about.

“Ms. Sidle, on the day of your abduction… can you tell me what happened?”

Sara nodded. “I finished my work at the lab at about 9 AM and drove then directly to Greg’s.”

“Had you agreed with Mr. Sanders to meet at that time?” the man asked, clearly wanting to know if Greg had known she was coming.

“No,” Sara shook her head. “I went there as a surprise as it was Greg’s birthday.” She had never come so far as to wish him a happy birthday.

“You didn’t make it to his apartment though?”

Sara glanced briefly at Charlie without moving her head. “I parked my car just a street away and was walking over to Greg when something hit me from behind.”

“Did you see the attacker?”

Sara shook her head. She had been knocked out directly; she had not had the slightest chance of getting away.

“No, I didn’t. I blacked out immediately.” She did not know how long she had been unconscious, and neither did she know what had happened until she had woken up. According to Greg, Charlie had turned up at about 10 AM at his place and they had directly driven out to the cabin then.

“When did you regain consciousness?” the man in front of her asked next.

“I don’t know how much time passed,” Sara replied. “I remember lying on the ground. It was cold. My head was hurting and it took me some effort to open my eyes. Then there was suddenly this disgusting stuff in my mouth and when I finally opened my eyes, I realized that they were gagging me.”

“Who did you see?”

Sara’s eyes wandered over the head of the prosecutor. In the very last row she saw somebody sitting down who had not been there before. She closed her eyes for a second, breathing out slowly. She did not think his presence was going to help.

“Greg Sanders was leaning over me.”

She had thought that she was having a nightmare. The reality had appeared to be too absurd to be true.

“What happened then?”

“I tried to move, but couldn’t. I tried to yell at Greg, but couldn’t either because of the gag. Then I heard another man speaking.” Sara remembered that this had been the moment when she had started to be scared. She had only seen Greg before and since she would have never imagined that Greg could do something like that, to her even more so, she had not thought it real, and had not really been afraid of him until then, shocked maybe, but not scared.

“What did the other man say?”

“They were discussing what they were going to do. I could not really follow. I was dizzy and my head was hurting badly.”

“What did they do next?” the prosecutor asked, nodding briefly.

“Greg helped me stand up.” He had been careful, had kept her from falling, but it had not made it any easier for her to understand what he was doing. Back then she had not known that Greg was only trying to help her, to save her. “They brought me into the cabin. On the way I could see the other man’s face for the first time. He was pointing a gun at me.”

“Can you identify the man?”

Sara nodded. “It was Mr. Brody.”

“It was him who was pointing the gun at you?”

“Yes.”

“Was Mr. Sanders armed as well?”

Sara shook her head. “No, he wasn’t.”

“What happened inside the cabin?”

“Greg made me sit on a couch. Mr. Brody bound my legs again. Greg had removed the tape earlier, so I could walk. Then both of them went outside.” She had been afraid. Her mind had been racing, trying to come up with an explanation to Greg’s behavior and had come back empty. She had not been able to understand why Greg was hurting her.

It was no wonder that Nick thought there could be no trust between them, although he knew as well as she did that Greg had saved her.

Greg had not stayed very much longer, after Ecklie had bothered them during their work, and his and Sara’s subsequent discussion had ended.

Greg’s shift was over and while he usually would have stayed a bit longer when Sara was working at the lab as well, he had been rather quick to leave today. It was not like there had been a fight, but there was certainly tension between them that Sara was not able shove aside.

Greg wished her a good day, but did not say much more when he left.

Sara nodded only. “Bye.”

Greg walked out of the door and Sara slammed the folder in front of her shut frustrated. She looked at her pager. What she needed, was a call out. Working a scene for nice long hours would at least get her mind of brooding over the issue between her and Greg.

Her wish was fulfilled half an hour later when one of her co-workers from days walked in and told her that the two of them had a 419. Sara jumped up eagerly and the two women made their way to the place some miles outside of Vegas.

Sara arrived home way after her shift had actually ended, tired and muddy, but satisfied. She took a nice long shower and even found something eatable in her fridge.

Then she crashed onto her couch and remembered only then that Greg had not said anything about coming over tonight before going in to work. She doubted he would come anyway, and did not even consider calling him. Maybe it was a good idea if they had a short break to figure out what they actually wanted. Not that Sara really doubted what she wanted.

“What did you do, once Mr. Brody and Mr. Sanders had left the cabin?” the prosecutor wanted to know.

“I tried to free myself, but it wasn’t working,” Sara stated. At this time she could only assume that Greg was indeed in the whole thing, and had to fear the worst after all. Even though she still had not wanted to believe it. She had known that if Greg was actually responsible for her abduction, they would have to get rid of her, since she knew him and there was no way he would get away with it otherwise.

“Were you alone for long?”

Sara shook her head. “Greg came back after a few minutes.” She glanced at him, who was sitting in the back row, but looked back at the man in front of her quickly. “He came up to me and crouched down next to the couch.” She remembered that she had been more angry than afraid then, seeing him there next to her.

“What did he do?”

“He asked me to stay quiet and not to tell that we know each other. He made me promise that and removed the gag then. I asked him what on earth he was doing and he told me that it had been Charlie’s doing.”

“What did you do?”

“I didn’t really believe him. I mean, for me it looked very much like it was Greg’s doing just as much. I told him to get me out of there.” She had hoped Greg would free her; she had not been as afraid of him as she had been of his friend, still hoping deep inside that Greg was not going to hurt her, at least not more than he already had. “Greg told me he’d be right back and walked out again. I had really thought he’d help me, but he didn’t come back.”

“What happened then?”

“I wasn’t gagged anymore so I figured yelling for help was my best alternative. But somebody knocked me out again.”

“Did you see who?”

“No, I didn’t. I had seen neither Greg nor Charlie coming back inside.”

When Sara had gone in to work the next morning, she had not seen Greg anywhere.

Maybe he had already gone home, maybe he was still out on a scene, but Sara did not find him anywhere in the lab. She had not been looking for him actively, but she figured she would have caught sight of him, if he was still around, since she had stepped around almost all labs this morning, asking for results from her work of the previous day.

Her shift passed rather uneventful, her only call-out being a simple breaking-and-entering case. Sara left the lab on time, making a few errands on her way home, only to wonder afterwards what to do with the rest of the day. Balancing her bag of groceries, she walked up to her mailbox, opened it and took out the few letters in there.

One of them caught her attention for she recognized the format and address, only that she got this kind of letters usually at work, not to her home address. She waited to open it until she had placed her bag on her kitchen counter, then she ripped it open. It was what she had suspected. She was asked to testify in court in the trial against Charlie Brody. It was scheduled in two months time.

If anything made Sara wanting to call Greg even more urgently and was at the same time telling her that this was a very bad time for it, it was this letter.

TBC

A/N: Actually I shouldn't even be here writing this, as I am currently swaying between excitement and nausea when I think of all the work I need to do for university and my upcoming plans, but as you can see, I am here, writing this, because I am nice and don’t want to leave you waiting for too long… anyway, here we go.

Chapter 7: Situations

Greg had slipped out of the lab in time, hurrying over to court, although he was not even sure that it was a good idea for him to be there. Sara had never invited him to come. Of course, they had never actually talked since the trial had been scheduled, safe for their three-words exchange on the previous day. It was of course understandable that he was interested to watch her testimony, but it was not like he did not already know everything she was going to tell. They had been together for several months. Sara had certainly told him everything, hadn’t she?

If Greg was honest to himself, he admitted that she had probably not told him everything. In an outburst she had shouted at him how scared she had been about what he and Charlie were going to do, how she had always kept pondering about the reason for his doing, and that it was not his fault what had happened.

But naturally they had never really brought up those topics again. Sara had certainly not been inclined to talk about the fear of him she had suffered from during the abduction. She had probably not even wanted to think about it, even though both of them knew now that Greg had done everything in order to save her.

And now Sara would be retelling the story at court. She would definitely not describe much of her feelings. Greg was sure that she would try to keep her statement as factual as possible, probably trying to pretend it was just another testimony on the job. So he would not learn anything new about her feelings, if he went to watch her testimony. It would have been wrong anyway, if he found out anything new.

Sara was already talking when he entered the court room as quietly as possible.

“Who did you see?” he heard the prosecutor asking. Greg was not sure at what point of the story they where, but when Sara answered, it was quite obvious.

“Greg Sanders was leaning over me.”

When he had leaned over her and gagged her, in order to keep her from yelling out.

Sara appeared very calm and collected when she was telling this, but Greg could only imagine that it looked differently inside of her. She continued telling what had happened, and Greg realized now why he had felt it a bad idea to come. It was not only because it might be uncomfortable for her, but also because her testimony made his insides squirm. He knew all of what she was telling, but listening to her recounting it made him feel sick, also sick with himself, even though Sara had told him again and again that it was not his fault.

Sara continued talking and Greg listened in agony. He had been there when all of that had happened.

But then came the part that he had not witnessed. Neither he nor Sara did actually know what exactly had happened. Greg had woken up in his apartment, and Sara had found herself being thrown out of Charlie’s car in the woods.

“Ms. Sidle, you told us that you were knocked out again. Can you tell us when you regained consciousness?”

Sara nodded. “It was like I was falling from somewhere and landed hard. The ground was cold. It was at night and there was only little light from the backlights of a car. I couldn’t really see a lot and my hands were bound behind my back.”

“You said you did not see a lot. But were you able to see who was there besides you?”

“No, I didn’t see anybody. I could hear somebody though.”

“What did they do? What could you hear?”

“The lid of the trunk of the car was slammed shut, so I figured they had just thrown me out of it. I heard steps coming towards me.”

Greg could only imagine Sara’s fear. After all, she had found herself being throw out somewhere in a wood, after being threatened to be killed earlier. She could only have feared that they – and Greg had to include himself there, from Sara’s point of view – were going to finish her off. And then Charlie had left her alone out there.

“I didn’t know what he was going to do. I thought he’d kill me,” Sara confirmed Greg’s suspicion.

The prosecutor nodded. “Did you have any chance to do something?”

Greg rolled his eyes. He knew it was only an incitation to tell more, but he wished Sara would not have to keep talking too long. She was probably holding up better than he would, but he did neither want her to have to recall more details, nor did he want to hear them, or anybody else in this courtroom to do so.

Apart from the fact that it would help to keep Charlie locked up. Greg’s glance went briefly to his former friend. Charlie was looking nowhere special and had probably not even noticed that Greg was there. And the young CSI did not care. He did not want to have anything to do with the other man anymore.

Sara shook her head. “Not really. I was begging Greg to help me. I thought he was there, too, but he wasn’t.”

“You are sure of that?” the prosecutor wanted to have that reaffirmed.

“Yeah, Charlie said that Greg was not there, and I didn’t see him either.”

Greg wondered where he had actually been at that time. Had Charlie left him lying at the cabin? Had he already brought him home by then? Or had he actually been in the car at that time and Charlie had just stopped in the woods to throw Sara out? Greg swallowed at that thought.

“What happened then?”

“I heard the slamming of a door of the car and then the engine starting. I turned on my back, so I could see what was going on. I thought he wanted to run me over.”

Greg thought he heard a slight trembling in Sara’s voice there, indication of the fear she must have felt. Greg had the impression that everybody’s attention in the room must be on him, so bad was he feeling. He even thought that Sara’s gaze was on him for a moment. Greg was feeling hot and uncomfortable, but was trying to shake off the sensation of being watched. It was irrational. He was sitting in the back row. Nobody was paying attention to him, no matter how guilty he felt. And Sara was certainly not looking at him.

“But then he drove away and left me alone,” Sara continued.

“Can you describe the situation?”

“I was alone. I wasn’t able to free myself and was afraid of what would happen if nobody found me soon. It was dark, so I wasn’t able to see anything around me.”

Sara had told Greg that this had also been the time when she had realized that he was not behind the crime. Greg wondered how she could actually have had any thought for him back then, considering the situation she had been in.

Greg had received his letter to testify at court the same day as Sara had. In a way he had still been somewhat surprised that he was actually asked to testify as a witness, and not as a defendant. Of course, the lab had practically cleared him, but he still considered his involvement in the kidnapping fishy from an outside view.

It was not even what he cared about so much right now. He had not seen Sara in two days and he was not even sure if it was her avoiding him, or him avoiding her. She might as well have decided that they could not go on like that, that the trial and everything connected to it only aggravated their situation, but Greg felt also that she would be quite right with the estimation. He did not want to cause her any more problems than he already had.

Sara did not know that several people in the lab had – intentionally or not - made remarks that confirmed Greg in this opinion.

All in all, he decided to give her time. He had never wanted to push her to anything, and he would not do so now.

Even though he did not like the idea that he was causing only more problems for her, he was rather optimistic that Sara would stick with him. It made him feel a little guilty. It was just yet another reason why he would not push her. If she came, then she would do so because she wanted it and because she did not think their relationship caused too many problems. Sara was rational like that; Greg knew that. If she did not come, she had decided differently.

Sara was still recalling the time she had been alone in the wood, and Greg was still listening unhappily. His gaze was fixed on her now, and he thought she was looking at him, too, for some moments.

“I waited and I think at some point I just feel asleep because I was so exhausted. I woke up when a dog was climbing over me.”

“And his owner brought you to the hospital?” the man in front of her asked what he already knew.

Sara nodded. “Yes, he did. They checked me out and then I went to the lab and called Greg. I wanted him to know that I’m alright.”

And again, she had thought of him, something Greg could not quite understand.

TBC

Chapter 8: Stages

It was certainly an interesting case.

His client had already confessed so there was not much to do there, since he was also convinced that the confession was true. But one thing he could still do was drawing into doubt that solely his client was responsible for what had happened. And there he was definitely not sure if Charlie Brody had really acted only on his own. He did not seem to be stupid, but he also appeared to lose his nerves quickly.

So his lawyer was not quite certain that it had really been Charlie’s idea to abduct Sara Sidle. When he thought back of the man who had testified as a witness, although he had admitted of being involved heavily into the affair, the lawyer could imagine very well that Greg Sanders was the head of it. Of course, Sanders had known that Sara would recognize him. So he must have planned from the very beginning to get rid of her.

Well, he could not prove that, the lawyer thought, leaning back and listening to the last part of Sara’s narration. But he could try to make the jury doubt that Charlie was the only one who was responsible.

He wondered what was up with Sara. Why was she protecting Greg Sanders? As far as he could see, she had no clear evidence to be convinced that it had not been his idea. Besides simply believing him. Maybe she was failing to see that he was actually the man behind it. Another possibility was that Sara knew very well that Greg was responsible but had decided to protect him for whatever reason.

He did not really know what the reason was, so he would have to poke around. Maybe he would hit the right spot and she would break and tell the truth. If she was not already telling it that was.

The prosecutor had finished his questions, so the lawyer stood up, walking towards Sara.

“I’ve been wondering about a few things, Ms. Sidle,” he started.

Sara remained unmoved.

“You don’t know who knocked you out… twice. You don’t know for sure who was in that wood with you.” He paused. “But what you know and saw was that Greg Sanders was there, holding you captive.” Sara had opened her mouth slightly, as if to answer, but the lawyer continued. “So I wonder how your insistency that Mr. Sanders was not responsible for your abduction fits together with this.”

Sara looked at him sternly. “There’s evidence for that, and I know Greg as a co-worker and friend and know that he would never be able to commit such an act.”

“Can you exclude that Greg Sanders was responsible?” the lawyer asked sharply.

“Yes, I can,” Sara’s response came in the same tone.

“Can you exclude that he was with Mr. Brody out in that wood?” the man specified.

“Yes, Charlie had knocked him out just like me.” Sara tilted her head only so slightly, narrowing her eyes.

He knew he was on the right track. “Did you witness that?”

Sara hesitated only for a second. “No, I didn’t.”

It was certainly not his intention to give her a hard time just for the spite of it, but either did she have way too much trust in a person who had apparently been involved in the crime, or she was protecting Greg Sanders against better knowledge. In the first case, he had to show her the error in it. In the second case he had to make her give up this protection.

He saw her glancing past him, and when he turned around to walk back to his seat, he followed the direction of her look and found Greg Sanders sitting in the back row. Interpreting both Sara’s and Sanders’ expression, he could see that the two were apparently close, which disproved neither of his two alternate theories.

He was finished for now, but they would hear Sara a second time, later in this trial when another incident that had happened months later in Greg’s apartment would be investigated. He was sure this would only push up his case.

She had not come.

If she had come, it would have been because she wanted it and because she did not think their relationship caused too many problems.

Apparently she felt differently.

At the end of the day Greg had been lucky that she had tried it at all. She had tried to make it work. He could not expect more from her.

It was certainly a low. They had had a few happy months, but Greg thought of what all had been destroyed because of the actions of his so-called friend Charlie. He and Sara were not working together anymore. They were hardly even seeing each other at all. Greg sometimes caught a glimpse of her when he left work, but more than often he did not get to see her at all. Either she came later than he left, or she came so early that she was already knee-deep in work when he was done with his shift. Greg guessed the latter.

And when he saw her, she seemed always in a great hurry. Greg could understand that she felt uncomfortable.

The good side, if you could call it like that, was that they had time to work out how they would deal with the trial and with the situation in general in the future.

The situation in general, that one had certainly improved for Greg. Ambiguous remarks at the lab had stopped. The tension between him and Nick had decreased and they had become closer again. Greg was happy about that. It gave him somewhat a feeling of old times, when things had still been alright. He had to smirk about that thought. It was funny that he felt those times to be so long ago, and it was certainly even more so that he felt as if everything had been alright back then.

He was still missing Sara in the team though, and he knew he was not the only one who felt that way. And still, things had improved.

The second issue, the upcoming trial, was easier, or more complicated, however you saw it. Greg had talked about it with Nick who had actually initiated the conversation. The talk had then come to Charlie. Nick had more or less carefully asked how much Greg knew.

“Didn’t he hint at all what he was going to do?” he wanted to know.

Greg shook his head, still surprised. Some weeks ago a conversation like that would have been impossible between the two men.

“He didn’t,” he replied. “He considered it a surprise…” The abhorrence was audible in his voice.

Nick nodded. “It must have been a real shock.”

“Yeah,” Greg confirmed. “It was… bad.” He rubbed his forehead. “And later, when I woke up at my place… I thought…”

“Yeah,” his friend nodded again. “Did you ever get the chance to ask him what he did then?”

“No, I didn’t. When he came to my place, I certainly didn’t want to raise that matter. And then came Sara… there wasn’t an opportunity to ask him. No idea what he would have told me anyway.”

Nick was silent for some moments, looking serious. “You know it’d be good, if we knew about that, with the trial coming up and everything…”

Greg raised his eyebrows slightly. “I thought I was cleared…?” he started carefully. Sara had stated clearly that she knew he was not responsible, had confirmed his statement that he had not known about it and had done his best to help her. And as far as Greg knew, there had been evidence that had confirmed Sara’s statement.

“Yeah,” Nick affirmed. “But it’s not like we have a lot of evidence to clear you. I mean, you know that… you brought her into that cabin… your prints were there and you touched her as well. I know what Sara said, but it’s not a lot. We didn’t get a chance to look into the car before weeks had passed, so… If we knew what happened out there…” Greg looked down worriedly. “But, Greg, it’s going to be okay. We’re taking care of that,” Nick ensured him.

“Thanks, Nick.” He could be happy that the Texan was apparently on his side again.

“But somebody should try to talk to Charlie again… not in interrogation though,” Nick thought loudly.

“Do you want me to go and talk to him?” Greg questioned, feeling uncomfortable only at the thought of it.

Nick shook his head slowly. “I don’t think that’s a good idea.”

“So somebody else?”

This time his co-worker nodded. Greg thought about it for a moment, before he shook his head.

“We can’t ask that from her,” he refused Nick’s idea. “I’ll go.”

He did not like it, but the imagination of asking Sara to go and question Charlie was just too much. He was actually certain that she would do it without a second thought. She had done way more, risked way more in her attempt to protect him. But he could not ask that. Besides, they were not even talking. He could not suddenly show up and ask her to go over to jail and arrange a talk with Charlie. It would be insane.

“It will look bad, if you go. It will look as if you’re still close…” Nick interjected.

“We were never close,” Greg corrected his friend. “And it doesn’t matter. I look bad in this whole thing anyway. But if there’s a chance to get out of it, if we know a bit more, I’ll try to take that.”

TBC

Chapter 9: Smiles

Greg did not really know why he was acting so secretive. It was his right to visit a friend in jail, even though the crime the friend was sitting in for had actually partly been committed against him, and it certainly not the reason was why Greg was here. However, his name would be written down anyway; people would know he had come here; there was simply no point in his secrecy.

He had certainly wondered if his decision was right ever since he had set out on visiting Charlie in jail. But he needed answers, in more than one way. It took some time until he was finally seated opposite of Charlie who looked pleased to see him. Greg did not even have time to say anything before his former friend already opened the conversation.

“I didn’t think you’d come to visit me after all,” he said, smiling slightly.

Greg wondered how open he should be. Should he tell Charlie why exactly he had come or should he pretend he was here for a friendly chat? Charlie was unpredictable after all which Greg, and Sara, had found out painfully after all.

“I want to talk to you,” he stated simply, watching the other man’s reaction.

Charlie smiled. “What do you want to talk about?”

“About the day out there at the cabin.” This was certainly the gentlest way to formulate it.

The man opposite of him frowned slightly. “Are you still angry about that?”

Greg raised his eyebrows. “You knocked me out there, didn’t you?”

Charlie leaned back. “I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

Greg frowned in puzzlement. “But you just said-“

“My lawyer advised me not to say anything.” His expression had turned neutral and Greg stared at him taken aback.

“This is no interrogation, Charlie, you don’t need your lawyer’s advice here,” he said. “I’m your friend.” He could say the word, but only with a pang.

Charlie did not reply. Instead he suddenly stood up from his chair. Greg rose from his, standing up halfway himself. “Please, I need to know what you did to Sara, please.”

“I didn’t do anything to her,” the other man replied simply, stood up slowly and walked off, a guard taking care of him while Greg watched him leaving helplessly.

I didn’t do anything to her. Greg hoped that a tiny bit of truth had been in this statement. Charlie had certainly not done nothing to Sara, having left her out there in the wood after everything he had already done earlier, but Sara had never mentioned anything else and Greg hoped that was because there was nothing else. But he was here to learn what had happened exactly, what Charlie had done to get him home, to get Sara out there. He needed to know it, Nick needed to know it. Sara could not tell him. She did not know big parts of it and what she knew… she had never mentioned it.

Greg let out a frustrated growl. He was left with so many questions. They had been moving around in his mind before the visit but then he had been thinking, hoping, that they would be answered soon. And now, not even five minutes into the conversation, Charlie was gone, having left Greg with nothing.

Sara had no good day either. Running into Nick wouldn’t have constituted a bad day per se, but somehow they had managed to make it turn bad.

It had been friendly at first. Then he had mentioned Greg. Sara had not joined the topic enthusiastically (it was great how she was calling Greg a ‘topic’ now), but Nick had been stubborn.

“Aren’t you two going to talk?” he had asked.

“Oh, we’re talking,” Sara returned, tilting her head slightly, before fixing Nick with a stare.

“When did you talk to Greg the last time?” her friend went on. Sara’s look remained fixed, her frown getting ever so deeper.

“I don’t know,” she said and while it could have been an admission it did not sound like one.

“See…?” Nick started, trailing off.

“I can’t remember every conversation I’ve had with anybody,” Sara added.

“Sara…”

She looked at her shoes.

“Since when’s Greg ‘anybody’?” Nick asked softly and she looked up swiftly.

“Since when do you care so much about Greg’s and mine relationship?” she returned sharply.

“I guess that’s because Greg’s my friend, too,” Nick said, a small tone of anger in voice now. “You don’t know how much he’s beating himself up about what happened-“

“Oh, I think I know very well,” Sara said icily. “And wasn’t it you who blamed him? Or is my memory messed up there?”

Nick recoiled. “I know,” he said after a moment. “I… I was thinking about you. I was worried about you.” He looked at her earnestly. “But I believe him… and you… I mean, I believe he didn’t do… I believe that he saved you.”

“And what-?”

“And that’s why I don’t want him going down with this,” Nick added.

“Who’s talking about going down?” Sara questioned. “You said it: Greg didn’t do anything. I’ve made my statement. I-“

“If you’d listen to me for a moment-“

“I do listen to you.” She stood there firmly, arms crossed in front of her chest, and even though Nick hoped that his look would soften her, he was not quite sure it would work.

“It’s not like we have a lot of evidence to clear him,” he started slowly. “His prints were everywhere. We didn’t get a chance to look into the car before weeks had passed. We don’t really know what happened out there.”

“I told you what happened,” Sara interjected.

“We don’t know what happened while you were unconscious,” Nick stated softly.

“I told you that Greg didn’t do anything. He saved me,” Sara was getting louder again.

“I know,” Nick said quietly. “But they might think you’re just protecting him, or that he’s threatening you, or that the whole ordeal messed you up and you-“

“Oh, thanks a lot, Nicky,” she said sharply.

“Sara, I-“

“Well, then go and do your job and find the evidence. It will tell you that Greg didn’t do anything,” Sara finished, dashing off past Nick, who turned around and looked after her helpless wondering if she was that angry because she realized that he had probably told her the truth.

His thoughts wandered to Greg and he wondered if he had succeeded in getting information from Charlie. If his lawyer was any good, Charlie would not say anything. Their only hope was that he would talk to Greg as a friend and that was the only reason why Nick had let Greg go at all. He just hoped he was more successful than Nick had been today.

(several weeks later)

When the suit had been adjourned, Sara had moved out of the stand quickly, trying to get out of the court room hastily and without drawing too much attention to herself.

She wondered in how much trouble she had brought Greg. She remembered what Nick had told her. He had warned her against exactly this. And she had known back then that he would probably be right. And Sara had tried to shoot the messenger.

When she arrived at the exit of the room, near where Greg had been sitting, his seat was empty. Of course. He would not have waited around for her or anybody else for that matter.

She could only hope that Nick and the others knew their job. Of course she had always trusted them, but it had been Days’ case after all, even though Nick had assisted on it. Sara shook her head slightly, while she descended the stop at the exit of the courthouse. It did not matter. The evidence would be on their side no matter what. She smiled lightly despite the situation. She and Greg were certainly on the same side, even though she had not shown it to him often enough lately.

Well, actually she had not shown him anything lately. Well, she had made him spill his soda on his suit. Actually, she had been standing in his way which had him made spilling his soda, not really the fact that it had been her.

And she wondered where the headache came from.

“Hey, Sara.”

She stopped dead, her gaze fixed a little ahead on the parking lot where her car stood. Taking a moment to put on a smile, she turned around to him. He stood there, hands in his pockets, teetering slightly, and if Sara had not known better she could have thought he had no worry in the world, if it had not been for the tiredness that was clearly visible on second glance.

She could not believe he was smiling. Had she not just managed to get him into such a bad situation? And no matter whether it had been her or somebody else, he had to realize the trouble ahead. And still he was smiling at her, or maybe just because. Or-

Maybe she had to admit for once that she did not know.

TBC

A/N: Nobody else reading this? :rolleyes:

~~~

Chapter 10: Surprises

Greg stepped towards her, hands still in his pockets. He motioned her to walk along with him and Sara fell into his pace next to him. They were walking towards her car quietly. Sara had figured that they would have to hold a conversation at some point, that they would not be able to get out of their ways forever, and she did not even want that, had never wanted it. She did not even really know how it had come so far. She remembered things Greg had said, Nick had said, people in the lab had said, she herself had said, but now while she was walking along with Greg over the parking lot, it seemed stupid, or maybe not even stupid, but just… pointless.

She would have never thought though that their first conversation would be silence. She glanced over at him and struggled to come up with something she could say. Anything on her mind did not seem to make more sense than the last few weeks, months did.

They had nearly reached her car, when Greg turned fully around to her, stopping in his tracks.

“How are you doing?” he asked.

Sara was a little surprised by this simple question.

“I’m fine,” she said finally. She did not think she would have been able to come up with a completely true answer even if she had wanted to.

Greg smiled. “That’s good.” He looked at the ground sheepishly for a moment before his gaze wandered back at her. “I’m sorry I never called…” He paused. “I could have checked to make sure you’re doing alright at least.”

“It’s okay,” she returned. “I…ugh…” she turned away, confused and upset. She made the last few steps towards her car, before she faced him again. “The trial… I…”

“It’s not your fault,” Greg said clearly. Sara saw more people coming out of the building in the background. Maybe she should rather look at Greg.

“But-“ She felt the need to object.

“Do you remember how you told me that nothing what Charlie did was my fault?” Greg questioned calmly.

Sara nodded silently, remembering how Greg had blamed himself and how she had insisted that there was no blame on him.

“Well, it’s certainly not your fault either,” Greg said. “And anything that happens in there-“ he pointed at the court house, “happens because of him, not because of you.”

She looked directly at him now. “I’m sorry,” she said quietly.

He made the few steps up to her. “Don’t be.” He kissed her. It was short and sweet and surprising.

Sara blinked. “That was nice.” He did it again and she smiled. His kisses felt almost as if it had never been over.

“We never ended it, you know,” he said now, which was another surprise, though not as sweet.

“We didn’t,” she replied between two kisses. Greg stopped, looking at her. He did not seem as calm as before, but was looking rather sad now.

“We didn’t even fight,” he said and Sara nodded. They had not fought. And technically they had never broken up. Maybe this was good. Maybe they would not have dared to start it again, if they had actually broken up. Maybe they could just go on where they had left off, no bitter feelings about fights and break-ups involved. And considering everything that was going on around them, maybe they needed something to hold onto.

“We didn’t,” she agreed quietly. “Do you want to fight with me?”

Greg seemed puzzled, trying to gauge in which manner she actually meant this question. He glanced over his back at the courthouse. “We should get out of the parking lot,” he said, not answering her question. Sara nodded, turning to open the door of her car.

“Do you… want to go somewhere?” she asked. He nodded, but did not make a suggestion. Sara pondered where they could go. Both of their places seemed oddly awkward. The lab was certainly not the right place to talk, or even to fight. “We could grab something to eat,” she proposed. “We could go to my place, or yours, later, if we feel like it…” If they wanted to fight after all. Or maybe sleep together.

“Okay,” he nodded.

“Do you want to come with me?” she asked, pointing at her car. It would make more sense of course, if they both went in their own car, but she did not want that their thread of conversation broke off. She wanted to talk now, or fight, but if they now left separately, they might be sitting in awkward silence somewhere later. Maybe this would happen anyway.

“I can leave my car,” Greg returned slowly, implying the question if he could come along with her.

Sara nodded. “Get in here,” she ordered with a smile. Greg walked around the car and got in on the passenger’s side.

Sara drove off the parking lot in silence but once they were in traffic, Greg started talking much to her relief.

“I would be okay fighting with you,” he said. “But I prefer a yelling Sara over a brooding one.” He looked at her from the side carefully.

She smiled. “Why?”

“If you’re yelling, I can at least answer back.” He looked at her again, less careful and more sheepishly now. Sara wondered where to they were actually driving. There was still time to decide. She could just drive to a small restaurant near Greg’s place. Somehow she felt like they could actually end up there after all.

“You’re right,” she replied to Greg’s explanation. “So if you want to fight later, we can do that. I’m open for other things as well though.”

Greg grinned. “I didn’t think I’d get to hear that today.” Sara smiled. “Makes my day so much better,” Greg added.

Sara’s smile grew somewhat sad now. They could not forget what else was going on. She seriously did not know what she could do, how she could help Greg. It gave her a sting that she felt so helpless in this matter.

She should have answered something, for now they were sitting in silence again. It felt strange having Greg sitting next to her so quiet. It was a relief that they arrived at the place she had decided on and could get out of the car.

“We’ve been here before,” Greg said, when they were walking inside. “Once I think.”

Sara nodded, remembering the night when Greg had taken her out here and they had ended up at his place. She had teased him about how convenient it had been and smiled now at the memory.

“Yeah, we were. Your place isn’t far,” she said, wondering if he had the same memories she had. Greg smiled and Sara felt sure that he was really thinking of the same thing she was.

Once they were seated she saw that he was watching her closely and Sara felt awkward and happy at the same time, sitting there together with him. She reminded herself that a lot of kissing had already been going on earlier. They would be fine, even if they would fight later. Right now she did not think they would. Of course there were several possibly issues.

“How are you really doing?” Greg asked suddenly.

“I’m fine,” Sara replied, grimacing slightly in confusion. “As you can see and I’ve told you earlier.”

“I’ve seen you very stressed the last few days,” Greg contradicted.

“Understandably.” Her expression was earnest. “Really, Greg. I’m doing fine. And now I’m doing even better.” She leaned over the table, pressing her lips against his.

“If we go on like this, we’ll really end up at my place,” Greg laughed happily. Sara blushed lightly, glancing around in the restaurant, hoping that nobody was watching them. They were sitting in a fairly closed off place though, so she did not think this was the case.

“We can eat and then go to your place,” she nodded.

She was not quite sure how Greg would react to the change of topic, but she felt like she needed to bring it up before they would go over to more enjoyable things. She did not want to ruin the mood later on and hoped she was not doing it now. She did not really want to fight, even though she preferred it over the unbearable silence of the last few weeks, a silence that had not even resulted from any fighting.

“Are you scheduled to testify again?” she asked quietly, avoiding looking into his eyes again. She could see though that he was nodding seriously.

“Yeah. I still have to testify about the day when Charlie came to my place.” That were completely different memories connected with Greg’s apartment, unpleasant ones that they both had tried hard to forget.

“Me too,” she said. She would have to talk about that day as well. As if she had not done enough damage so far. How would it be conceived that she had been threatened again, this time at Greg’s place? Of course, there was still Brass who would testify as well. He had heard what had been going on, even though this had been rather ambiguous.

“Hey, I told you not the worry about it,” Greg said, taking her hand. It was much warmer than hers. “And no matter what that lawyer says, they’re not treating me as a suspect. They know it was Charlie’s doing.”

He squeezed her hand and Sara was looking at it and no matter what she had felt before, she felt gloomy now, and although she tried to stop it, she felt the tears coming up into her eyes and rolling down her cheeks. It was the way Greg was saying it. That he was not treated as a suspect. Why would he? He had not done anything bad. The thought that he considered it positive that he was not yet treated in a way that would be wrong, just made her cry, wondering what she would do, if it happened after all, after everything Charlie’s lawyer had said, after everything she had said.

“Hey, Sara…” Greg started softly, but Sara jumped up, muttering, “Restroom.” and dashed off. She hurried into the restroom, and was relieved that nobody else was in there who would see her tearstained face.

Talk about ruining the mood. Why had she brought up the topic? She had thought that they would maybe fight, she just had not thought that she would fall apart in this way. What would Greg be thinking? That she was unhappy in his company? That she was unhappy that they were not treating him as a suspect? Sara chuckled sadly. No, Greg would not come up with ridiculous thoughts like the latter. The former was very probable though.

She rubbed her face with her handkerchief. Maybe she was also crying because she was happy. Happy that she and Greg seemed to be fine. Happy and afraid that everything good might end too soon again.

TBC

Back