What's Your Favorite Smart Phone App?

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Smokey, Mar 2, 2011.

1. Smokey

Smokey Nickaholic Moderator

I just got a smart phone and am going app crazy! :lol: So what are your favorite apps and why?

2. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

oh god so many!!!!! nb all of these i mention are iphone/ipad - they may have droid equivalents but i'm not sure...

i think my all time favourite is more toast! by maverick, which lets you make virtual toast (or toaster pastries, crumpets, waffles etc) and put virtual toppings on them and virtually eat them. they have a whole range of apps along the same lines: sundaes, cupcakes, cookies, grill, salad, pizza are the ones i can think of. they're $0.99 i think. they're more amusing than they sound, you can share photos of your toast/cupcakes etc on FB and so on :)

i really like a lot of card games, solitaire city is great for time killing, it has tons of variations on solitaire. not cheap but worth it. i use it every day at least once.

pocket god is pretty silly but a lot of fun for just pootling about, you get a little island and you can create people and then make them do stuff like build houses or ride dinosaurs and so on, or just kill them in a variety of fun and twisted ways :D

the new tetris app is truly fabulous on ipad, maybe somewhat less so on iphone.

for anyone into baseball (especially if you live outside the us and so don't have all the usual coverage on tv/radio) the MLB at bat app is brilliant - it's not cheap (about 15 bucks i think) but it has everything - live box scores, live text commentary, live internet radio feeds (you can choose whether you listen to the home or away team), video highlight clips etc - you can pick favourite teams so they list first or look at the whole division at once. it's good on iphone but on ipad it's stunning! on iphone when bases are covered they just have a little square dot, but on ipad it puts a picture of the runner on the base, it's just little differences like that but it makes a huge difference to the feel of it. also the ipad version has a little mlb newspaper in it so you can read the latest stories etc. it's really really good.

there are loads of others i really like too - i'm a bit of a fiend for "useful" ones, i love weather apps (because weather kinda fascinates me), but also apps that do things like calculation, taking notes, currency/unit conversion, they're really useful to have.

oddly the ones that aren't so good tend to be the social networking ones - twitter for iphone/ipad is ok but not spectacular, same for facebook. lots of the others like yahoo and so on are just plain old crap. the only one i really rely on is hootsuite, which is, imho, the best twitter client around.

3. luf100

luf100 Coroner

Well I've never actually played it on a smart phone, but my mom and brother both have iPod Touch's and they both have Angry Birds, and when I pick up Angry Birds and start playing it I can't put it down. :lol: I freaking love it.

4. Smokey

I love Angry Birds! :lol:

I'm also loving TuneIn (over 30,000 streaming radio stations around the world), V Cast Song ID (hold the phone up while a song is playing and it IDs it and the artist), and Google Sky Map (point the phone at the sky and ID/find all of the stars, planets, etc.). Oh, and a Kroger app that loads coupons to my Kroger card so when I swipe the card at checkout they're automatically applied.

I'm also liking games like Jewels and Euchre, and a couple of word games that are like Scrabble and you can play with other friends at the same time.

5. Urban Legend

Urban Legend Captain

I have an Android phone and some of my favorite apps are

Angry Birds and Angry Birds Seasons.
    Androidify
    Basketball Shots 3D
    Bible
    Google Books
    Most of the Camera effects types of cameras.
    Clorix
    Devilry Huntress
    Finger Bowling
    Fishin' 2 Go
    Frozen Bubble
    Funny Jokes
    Garfield
    Google Goggles
    Horoscope and Tarot Cards
    Last.fm/Pandora
    Jewels
    Yahoo Messenger
    Shazam and Sound Hound (each tells you the title of a song that is playing)
    Facebook

6. Colonel Worf

Colonel Worf Pathologist

GetGlue - check in to what TV shows/movies you are watching - NBC, FOX, and some other networks and studios will send you physical stickers for certain check-ins

Foursquare - check into places

Google Navigation - a very good GPS

GasBuddy - find the best local gas prices

Facebook & Twitter - to keep up with everybody's business. :D

Angry Birds - addicting!

TV.com - all the CBS.com videos (CSI! :D)

ESPN Scorecenter

Gmail

TuneIn Radio - tune it to almost any radio station you can think of

Redbox - find and reserve movies in Redboxes

Myxer - make your own ringtones

Pandora - streaming music

7. Smokey

Thanks, guys! :) I had a lot of those already, but I added Gas Buddy and TV.com.

8. Otie

Otie Hit and Run

Angry Birds... totally. Also, Pocket Frogs is absolutely amazing.

I'm also a big fan of SuperCamera and Camera Plus - both are really good camera apps that, as a photographer/artist, I like better than the native iPhone camera.

I also highly recommend SoundHound, the free trial version gives about 5 "What Song Is That" hits, which I've found is more than enough... and it's extremely accurate.

I've also got an app called "Paw Card", designed to keep tabs on the health and vaccination statuses of my dogs. It's a good way to keep track of when their next vet appointments should be.

Lastly, if you've got any interest or need for mathematics stuff, iFormulas and Pi Cubed Lite are both excellent. I tutor math and use both regularly.

9. Smokey

I have VCast Song ID for free with no limits on it. It's amazing! I love it! I used it just today in the car to ID a song on the radio that I figured was probably way too obscure, but it nailed it!

Someone else recommended Pocket Frogs. I think I searched for it once and didn't find it. Is it maybe just for iPhone? I have a Droid.

10. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

i like angry birds but i don't love it. i prefer cut the rope and fluffy birds.

totally agree about getglue tho

11. Otie

Otie Hit and Run

Hmm, it looks like Pocket Frogs may only be for iPhone. Which is a shame, it's a really great game. I know it's one that's constantly developing more and more... so hopefully they'll expand to other platforms. It's... as my husband compared it... a bit like the chocobo breeding in Final Fantasy VII. The genetics aspect is pretty fun, even though it's very basic level genetics.

Free with no limits is awesome. Gah, I wish I had that! LOL! I know with SoundHound it picks up the obscure music I listen to (I'm really into independent/local bands... and I think there's only been two or three it hasn't been able to ID). But man, I'd love it if I had free and unlimited LOL! I'd probably try and get a tag on every song I hear that I don't recognize within 5 seconds.

12. Smokey

I found another one that I really like. It's called Scanner Radio by Gordon Edwards. You can listen to emergency radio traffic on over 2,500 locations. I have my local one saved in my faves, but I also have the Las Vegas city one. :lol:

Everything comes in really clearly...well, as clearly as radio traffic comes in. There is also a shortcut on the menu to a list of 10-codes so you can quickly find out what they are talking about if they mention a 10-15 or a 10-32.

I've been addicted at times to listening to my local scanner online, so I think this app is great, especially if something is going on and you want to hear what's happening.

13. Otie

Otie Hit and Run

^

Hmm... that app would have come in rather handy for me a few months ago when there were sirens going on all night and helicopters with search lights going over my neighborhood. :wtf:

Or back where I used to live... it was an, um, interesting (?) area... Just my building alone probably could have had the scanner traffic going nuts. Between a living decomp (yeah...), two stove-top meth labs blowing up, and various drug raids...

14. Smokey

I just got the Droid Streamer...tons of free TV and movies.

I also have My Fitness Pal...really cool weight loss tool. You put in your weight, etc. and how much you want to lose and how much a week, and it tells you how many calories a day to do it. It also keeps track of nutritional requirements for the day. You enter your food in (you can search tons of brand names and restaurants) and it keeps track of how many calories you have left for the day. You can even scan the bar code on your food package and it puts it in for you!

15. nikkic04

nikkic04 Victim

Hey.

I am so addicted to Angry Birds and also Peggle - a ball and peg game!

Also a good game is bejewelled!!