What the Writers' Strike Means to CSI: NY

Discussion in 'CSI: New York' started by Top41, Nov 3, 2007.

1. MBGrissom

MBGrissom Pathologist

Hard to say what kind of viewer backlash, if any, will occur. But one thing I've definitely noticed is that the cable channels are capitalizing on the strike. The Discovery, Travel, & History channels - amongst my favorites - are all bringing on brand spanking new series starting this weekend & next week, with pretty heavy advertising and media push. In lieu of new episodes (after the current ones run out) until who-knows-when, I'm pretty sure lots of folks will be tuning into cable, possibly many who haven't previously been viewers before the strike. Obviously viewers won't totally abandon their favorite regular network channels, particularly when new eps start back up after the strike is over, but I can easily see cable taking a teensy-but-permanent bite out of certain audiences, particularly amongst the folks who might be "discovering" them for the first time.

2. althea

althea Lab Technician

I'm South Africa and our pay channel is already starting to broadcast the latest seasons of shows such as CSI, Prison Break, Desperate Housewives etc and these shows are only half way through shooting because of the strike if the strike continues and we catch up with you guys in the states I'm afraid that we might have to endure local drama *aaarrgghhh!!!!* And no I am not exaggerating. We do have satelite television where discovery and national geographic airs on but its freaking expensive and I can't afford it.

3. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

That sucks, althea. :(

I also think of BBC America. Torchwood is starting season 2 in January, right as most of the usual shows are stuck in reruns, and I don't even know if there are other shows getting ready to start. Personally, I'm looking forward to new episodes of Torchwood--even more so since there are only a few more episodes of NY to look forward to. :p

I definitely think people might channel-surf to less 'popular' channels looking for something to watch. And hell, even if these channels are playing repeats, it might be a 'new to you' sort of situation and will get shows new viewers. You never know. :p

4. WhosLaughingNow

WhosLaughingNow Lab Technician

Reality shows[​IMG]... *shudders*.

I was going to say they should have a reality version of CSI. Then it dawned on me all you have to do is tune into A&E and you're bound to find something along those lines.

5. althea

althea Lab Technician

^^ I will rather stock up on box sets of series I've missed than watch reality television. Only problem with the box sets is that its not like I can control myself and watch an episode every week :lol: once I start with a set and its really good I can't stop myself from watching epi after epi.

6. MBGrissom

MBGrissom Pathologist

Faylinn, I'm right there with you, on Torchwood. I'm eagerly awaiting the new season this month, too! And I agree with you, if someone channel surfs into new territory and lands on reruns on cable, if it's "new to them", it'll probably hold their interest, rerun or not. Shows on channels like USA, Discovery, History, Travel, Food Network, etc. all quite possibly stand to benefit from the strike.

7. Faylinn

Faylinn Adam Fangirl Super Moderator

:lol: I meant that I don't know if there are going to be any other shows having series/season premieres on BBC America, but I love that little twitchy-eyed dude. :p

(But I know that Terminator tv show is supposed to start on FOX later this month--I'm so ashamed, but I just know I'm going to watch it. :lol:)

Hee! :D

Haha, I do the same thing. :p I can't pace myself.

8. Springmoon

Springmoon CSI Level Two

What? You mean you're not eagerly awaiting the next train wreck of Flavor of Love on VH1?

9. PerfectAnomaly

PerfectAnomaly Resident Smart Ass

We just got the new TV Guide, and actually, it's the next train wreck of Rock of Love on VH1. :lol: :rolleyes:

10. Dawni

Dawni CSI Level One

I'm hoping this can come to a close soon its wierd how over here in the UK we are just getting the New CSI's starting and i'm curious as to what will happen when they get to the last few eps or they are just hoping that its over by time they get there, may be the first time UK are on par with US with CSI.. as LV is due to start tuesday and then the saturday its meant to be NY.

11. WhosLaughingNow

WhosLaughingNow Lab Technician

So it's apparently still not looking too good. The last three new episode series Bones will not be shown till May sweeps. I know this has nothing to do with CSI or even CBS but it's a clear sign that at least one network is bracing for a long strike which can't be all that good for CSI NY either. :(

12. Top41

Top41 Administrator Administrator Moderator Premium Member

^Wow, that means they're really not holding out hope that the strike will be resolved in time to do more episodes for the rest of the season.

I have to say, I'm really glad CBS isn't saving the rest of the CSI eps until May. That's a stupid move IMO--fans of the show will get really frustrated with the long wait, and fair weather viewers won't remember or bother to tune in.

The one advantage that the CSI franchise has that no others really seem to (outside of House, maybe?) is that the shows rerun quite well. Reruns of the CSI shows still pull in pretty good numbers. That's good for CBS, and even for the writers--it guarantees that even after this strike is over, they'll have shows to come back to. I imagine a lot of 'on the bubble' shows will be cancelled after the strike is over (unless they're renewed because there simply are no other options).

13. Persona

Persona Hit and Run

Aw, man. I can't wait for the new season of Torchwood. All of the reports on it are saying it's improved since last year so I'm excited to see with what they come up with this year.

Now, on topic...

The writer's strike is a curse to many but a boost for some. As well all know, television needs more reality shows. Oh please, please, please tell me there's another Survivor. :rolleyes:

I just hope they finally, you know, starting acting their age about this strike because sooner we get new CSI:NY episodes, the better.

14. Dawni

Dawni CSI Level One

Top i agree on the rerun thing, CSI has that advantage. I mean here in UK its forever reruns but I never get tired of it.

I hope it gets sorted from what I've read its become more petty and frustrating on both sides and the Globes are getting screwed up because of it.

15. Ninja1088

Ninja1088 Witness

As far I'm concerned the bigwigs on both sides are too busy trying to show who's boss to care about the people they're affecting. The writers had my full support until they put in demands such as sympathy strikes and demands that reality show writers be allowed to join the WGA, two demands they knew the studios would never accept in a million years. That way, when they walked off the neogations like spoiled children, they could come out looking liek the good guys. As far as I'm concerned,there are none anymore. They're putting thousands of people out of work while they continue to stall.