What Books Are You Reading?-#3

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous' started by Jacquie, Jun 5, 2009.

1. MakeTracksCowboy

MakeTracksCowboy CSI Level One

Re: What Are You Reading?-#3

Edward Steichen: In High Fashion= Steichen was the chief photographer for Vogue and Vanity Fair from 1923-1937. this book talked about and showed some of his famous photos for the magazines. it's a very nice book and the pictures are amazing. if anyone is interested in photography try to find this book and his other book Lives in Photography.

Rescuing Da Vinci by Robert M. Edsel= basically the same kind of book as the Monuments Men book i had previously read. this one was more photographs.

i am currently reading a book on Amelia Earhart.

2. blackflag

blackflag Chocoholic for Life Moderator

Currently I'm reading "And Another Thing" by Eoin Colfer. As it says on it's front cover - "Douglas Adams's Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy Part Six of Three". I read "Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy" around 25 (or more) years ago when I was in Jr. High. I'm in chapter 3 and completely lost, but it's still fun to read. :bolian:

Susan

3. Carolyn_333

Carolyn_333 Pathologist

I'm reading a Criminal Minds novel.
    Criminal Minds--Killer Profile--Max Allan Collins.
    I've done read the prologue and chapter one.
    I'm up to page 46 which is the first page of chapter 2.
    I figured out how to read a book in this house without mom interrupting me and causing me to lose my place so many times I just get frustrated and give up...wait till she goes to bed. :p

Last edited: Jan 20, 2010
  4. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

i'm *still* reading flaubert - i just can't get into uni stuff at all at the moment so it's been sidetracked. i'm also reading sam shepard's plays, i reread true west for about the 10th time, because i just love it, and in the last few days i've also read buried child (which was absolutely brilliant) and curse of the starving class (which was also excellent), and now i'm reading the tooth of crime which is, frankly, a little weird, but quite enjoyable too. i really like sam shepard - for me straight up comedy isn't enough, i don't like stuff that's too happy, there has to be an element of darkness or outright sinisterness and a healthy dose of dysfunction, and he does that pretty well :D

5. Nick3167

Nick3167 Rookie

Headhunter by Greg Cox

6. DetHiggins

DetHiggins Police Officer

I just finished going back through A Tale of Two Cities by Charles Dickens. I hated it the first time. However, now that I can appreciate it with the history, I love it. At least, the end. I almost cried when Carton switched places with Darnay and his famous last words. And I NEVER cry at books or movies.

7. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

^ ooh i love a bit of dickens. have you read hardy? he's amazing. i dunno why i always think of them as similar as they're not, but i seem to always think of them in the same way, lots of great descriptions of land/townscapes, proper vernacular language, lengthy character research etc. but if you cried at dickens, make sure you have about 3 packs of kleenex for hardy!

8. Flack-Angell

Flack-Angell Rookie

I'm reading a series called 'Castle'. I just started reading the first book, and I'm reading it in english so it's a bit hard :p

9. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

still reading sam shepard plays; and have just started proust, in french, wish me luck with that...

10. Nick3167

Nick3167 Rookie

The GODFATHER by Puzo I LOVE this book and found a signed copy at a resale book shop recently I think it is better than the movie

11. talkingtocactus

talkingtocactus Coroner

^ i totally agree, the book is *amazing*, i absolutely loved it. the film's good but not as good. same goes for "once upon a time in america" actually.

12. Cath.S

Cath.S CSI Level One

I've read Cody McFadyen's Shadow Man in a row last night. It was so exciting for me that I couldn't put it down. I'm going to read McFadyen's second novel The Face Of Death soon and I hope it will be good too...

13. MakeTracksCowboy

MakeTracksCowboy CSI Level One

Gentlemen Prefer Blondes by Anita Loos. this book is a great look back into the 20's. it was written in 1925. i read about Loos from one of the photography books i recently bought and saw that she wrote this book. luckily the school library had it. it's not bad it's just about this gold digging girl from NY.

the copy of the book i have is most likely from the '20s it's awesome.

14. lil_janie

lil_janie Hit and Run

Just finished Lisey's Story by Stephen King. I am thrilled whith this one, there are so many creepy things, but so much love and sweetness and sorrow too. Great book, not only for the horror freaks such as me ;) It touched me deeply, almost as much as Talisman or Black House did - and still do.

15. Nick3167

Nick3167 Rookie

The Killing Jar-Donn Cortez