Welcome to the Forensic Science Thread!

Discussion in 'Forensic Science' started by Agertays, Mar 1, 2005.

1. Guest

Guest Guest

Hello there, fellow science types! A couple of friends of mine directed to me to this forum to discuss the shows, and I was pumped to see a Forensic Science board too!

I'm a Senior Forensic Science student myself, and I LOVE to discuss it. I hope to see you all around!

2. ancienttomb

ancienttomb CSI Level Three

:eek:Really??? :eek:...So you're expert!!! Welcome to our threads, DrHunnicuttCSI. :D

3. Agertays

Agertays CSI Level Three

Koolies welcome to the board!! ENJOY! :D

4. Selina

Selina CSI Level Two

Welcome to the board!
    :D

5. Guest

Guest Guest

Aww....
    Thanx for the lovely welcome! I'm hardly an expert! Most of my training is in field techniques, with some lab instruction. I have one more class to take and then I'm done, except for chemistry!

I'm like a closet CSI fan in my program, my professor does a whole lecture at the the first of every semester on how much he dislikes it. Yet, he admits that he, and all the investigators he has working under him, know all the characters on a first name basis! :lol:

Cya around!

6. ThumpyG

ThumpyG Coroner

:lol: I can see how your professors dislike the show! My former Forensic Anthropology Professor HATES CSI and made sure to tell us all of the time how much he dislikes the show! during the semester of class, all of us in the lab would talk about the show to him and how we were taping it, etc. drove him nuts.

Dr. HunnicuttCSI If you don't mind me asking, where do you attend school? I am getting ready to start my masters in forensic science this fall and am excited and anxious.

You only have Chemistry left? Chem is not that bad, well, not that great either..... :)

7. Guest

Guest Guest

I go to Weber State University in Ogden, Utah. The guy who started our program has worked on a lot of famous cases, including Ted Bundy and the Unabomber. He's really awesome. We don't have a Master's Program, we just get shoved out in the real world after our bacehlor's :lol:

We have another guy who's a chemistry expert from the Department of Defense that's teaching this fall, and another who is the head Crime Scene Investigator for one of the big counties here, we love it.

What's really cool is that we just got a grant from Uncle Sam to build a DNA lab!--- http://www.weber.edu/x19482.xml

Our main professor likes Vegas and Grissom well enough, he just likes to rant that they never turn on the lights when they enter a scene!

8. ThumpyG

ThumpyG Coroner

wow that is so cool! the main rant that my former professor has with CSI is the validity of the show and the contents of it. Being one of a handful of certified forensic anthropologists in the US and published, I guess he has a right to rant and rave! :lol:

anyway, best of luck with your studies!

9. Guest

Guest Guest

Ah, thanx, you too. The forensic Anthropology stuff is really cool. We don't get a lot of the specialty stuff, except for firearms, cuz that's what our prof does for a specialty, but I bet that's cool to learn!

10. ThumpyG

ThumpyG Coroner

I myself cannot wait to learn more specialty things once I start my classes in August. What I like the most is that all of the professors have a different specialty and learning under them is such an honor.

like for instance when I took my forensic anthropology class a year ago I didn't have as much appreciation for osteology and bones like I do now. that and it is good to know that when I see a human skull, I can usually ID the race and sex (gender) of the remains. plus, I can write a forensic report to present in a court of law. that, my friend was a LOT of work to undertake.

11. Guest

Guest Guest

Oh that's so true! We all just sit and soak up the knowledge from our profs. Most of our class last year was spent in Firearms examination. Learning all the different actions and types of weapons was one thing, but learning to distinguish the markings on the bullets themselves was extremely challenging, and fun!

My training is mostly in field documentation, collection, and reconstruction as opposed to analysis, but I love the prospect of being out and about!

Although it does pay less :lol:

12. ThumpyG

ThumpyG Coroner

I already work in public service. I KNOW how much money I don't make per year :)

yeah I just got my first textbook today and woo it is HEAVY, all of that knowledge ;) Between this textbook and my medical dictionary (again another thick book) I am afraid to get my patho and gunshot wounds textbooks for next semester!

My emphasis will mostly be on collection, field documentation, and reconstuction as well.

13. Guest

Guest Guest

Heh, yeah we all got the "You won't get rich" disclaimer.

Luckily, we get to use the same book for one of our classes next year, but the other two are gonna be pretty hefty.

Nice to meet a comrade in arms!

14. ThumpyG

ThumpyG Coroner

nice to meet you as well.

yeah, I have only two classes my first semester and five books for them, how wrong is that?

again good luck and keep posting about all of your knowledge and career opportunities!

15. Guest

Guest Guest

Yowza! I won't complain about my book load anymore!

Looks like a great board and I look forward to discussions with all of you!