Voting in Challenges - Read and Respond

Discussion in 'Fan Art' started by Dragonfly, Mar 4, 2009.

1. csifann1

csifann1 CSI Level Two

Exactly, that's what I do, I look to the queslity of the icon and I vote. I don't care if it is a character of Miami, NY or LV. Sometimes I give a look to all the icons and in 3secs I already know which ones to vote 'cause there are some that can distinct from others :)

I totally agree with this rule :thumbsup:
    OFC, if it'll have another category it'll be more work for challenge runners, i totally agree, but I think it's worth it (maybe not, I don't have experience, so :alienblush:).
    But if any challenge runner need extra help with counting, I'm here ;)

That's true, but sometimes it happens you know, there was one challenge that all my 3 votes were for Danny but it wasn't intentional :lol: I usually read the voting guide but sometimes I don't really read the the rules, bad example :alienblush: :lol:

2. happyharper13

happyharper13 Pathologist

I know you didn't say that, and I definitely know that it's not at all a condoned behavior. I was just saying that it might help (and certainly wouldn't hurt, as far as I can tell) if a rule about this were added to standard challenge rules.

3. starzsgirl

starzsgirl Captain

Irregardless, voters are going to vote the way they want to; adding a rule asking to vote for over all quality is well and good...but actually having it followed is a whole different story. This is one of those circle issues that was discussed last year and is still on going.

4. Speedystokesgirl

Speedystokesgirl Judge

When I vote, I vote for the icon, banner, wallpaper I like and the quality of it. I might also vote for one because of the creative way the text was used or the interpretation of the theme.

I'm a huge Nick Stokes fan, but I don't always vote for artwork that has him. I've voted for artwork from the other two CSI shows, that I don't even watch.

As someone who enters these challenges, I get frustrated because I know a lot of the votes are based on who is in the artwork. It is also frustrating in the challenges that have all three CSI shows in them. If most of the artwork is for, say Miami and/or New York then those of us that focus more on Las Vegas won't get votes because most everyone who votes watches the other two shows. I hope I'm explaining this right. These challenges with all three shows, always seem to be heavy with Miami and New York, which is fine don't get me wrong, but then most of the voters watch and love these shows better and vote for artwork with just these shows. It doesn't give us who like Vegas a chance.

Like I said before, I vote based on the actual artwork, not the show or character represented. I don't watch Miami and NY, as I don't like those shows, but that hasn't stopped me from voting for artwork with these shows in them.

Does this make sense?

I like the challenges that are show specific because, at least, you have a better chance for votes.

Now, I'm not saying to stop the multi-show challenges, but sometimes these just seem like a popularity contest.

As a challenge runner, I don't know why people vote for what artwork they vote for, as I'm focused on the numbers posted.

But like most have said, we will never be able to stop people from voting based solely on the character present in the artwork.

5. Mrs.DelkoWolfe

Mrs.DelkoWolfe Lab Technician

I agree. When I vote for icons, wallpapers ect. I vote based on the quality. I usually write down the numbers of the ones that stand out to me when I first look and then a hour or so later I look again and see if any other ones stand out to me. Then I look at creativity and qualty of those pieces that I like and base my vote on that.

As for the voting I think the voter should list the reason as to why they are voting for that particular piece of art (good coloring, texture use of brushes, ect.) I think that would help. I also think the other categories are nice to use as well. The more oppertunities there are for more people to win something I think the more people will continue to or start to submit art work. Some people (like myself) don't have an upgraded version of Photoshop (I only have Photoshop Elements 2.0), so we don't all have the fancy bells and whistles so the extra categories could give us some hope.

Now I'm not a challange runner but I'm willing to help.:)

6. E/C Lover

E/C Lover Police Officer

read and understood:thumbsup:

7. happyharper13

happyharper13 Pathologist

I agree with most of what you're saying, but I have to disagree about Vegas icons not standing a chance. Sure, if 80 percent of icons/banners/WPs submitted to a given challenge are NY, then chances are that an NY piece will win simply because chances are that, if 80 percent of the pieces are NY, chances are the best quality piece will be too, but this doesn't mean that any individual Vegas piece doesn't stand a chance. I'm also primarily (basically only) a Vegas watcher, and I definitely tend to lean toward Vegas fanart, but I really haven't noticed the sort of bias that you speak of. I always feel like my art stands a chance, regardless of which show it's from, and when it doesn't stand a chance, it's because there are just other pieces that are way better than mine is. I have to say that I really do feel like the bias is toward specific characters. In fact, I feel like this happens with one particular character, time and again.

8. starzsgirl

starzsgirl Captain

Not everyone would be willing to say why they voted for a piece of artwork. And honestly some might just list that it held a character that they liked, which is where the whoe discussion steamed from in the first place.

9. crazy_steph

crazy_steph Police Officer

Also someone can easily write, i like the texture, style etc and not about the character which could be the genuine reason they voted, no-ones going to openly admit it