Voting in Challenges - Read and Respond

wouldn't be better to make people write down the reasons why they chose those icons? I mean making the same thing we do on the LIMS.

Some people would be glad to give reasons as to why for example coloring and cropping, but there are others who might write that they liked the character or knew who made the icon. We're trying to get away from just liking the character, since the challenge isn't always about the character but techniques used. Hope that helps. :)

To be honest, I don't really think stating reasons would help. I don't know, maybe that's just me.

In the LIMS, you're giving constructive criticism, saying what could be done better next time etc. When you're voting for what's good about an icon, it can be hard to articulate. Sometimes you don't know what it is that draws you to an icon. It's also very easy to pick your favorite character and say something like good cropping or nice colouring. It can be very subjective. I also worry that it will discourage people from voting at all. If, after a few more challenges, it's still a problem, we'll take another look at it and decide what to do.

Thanks to both of you for explaining how you feel about this kind of voting and yep, now that you explained it so well, I do agree with you.
I actually didn't think about discouraging people from voting, but you're absoluetly right ;)

Yep it helped :thumbsup:

This is one reason that I like the show specific challenges and the ones for a specific character. :) I just think when they're all mixed in together, you're going to get fans of one show or character who just naturally pick icons from that show. Not everyone will, and maybe some who do will honestly think those are the best ones, but still.

I realize I'm getting here wayyy late. Read and understood.

That said, it feels like this is still a problem. Perhaps I'm wrong and am misinterpreting various posters' votes, but would it be possible to add a rule about this issue to each challenge voting post (i.e. tack a rule on after the whole 'don't vote for yourself', 'don't tell others to vote for you', rules)? Perhaps either say list that as a rule and/or say that people must agree to this thread before voting?

Another option -- I know that one of the LJ icontest comms that I like has a voting option for 'icon I would use'. Perhaps if we can't get people not to vote for their favorite characters, we can at least offer one outlet to do so separate from the regular place voting so that they know that is where they can vote for their favorite character and maybe try to vote for based on quality for the rest of the places. To make it fairer, maybe don't give banners or something for that designation.

That said, it feels like this is still a problem. Perhaps I'm wrong and am misinterpreting various posters' votes, but would it be possible to add a rule about this issue to each challenge voting post (i.e. tack a rule on after the whole 'don't vote for yourself', 'don't tell others to vote for you', rules)? Perhaps either say list that as a rule and/or say that people must agree to this thread before voting?

I don't think I quite understand what you are saying. What do you want to tack on to the don't vote for self/tell others to vote for you rules?

As for requiring people to agree to something in print before voting...I don't think that would work too well and the amount of votes would plummet. Sadly, and as much as it hurts, it's hard to get people to stop voting for their faves no matter what is done, everyone will find a loop hole to keep voting as they do.

Another option -- I know that one of the LJ icontest comms that I like has a voting option for 'icon I would use'. Perhaps if we can't get people not to vote for their favorite characters, we can at least offer one outlet to do so separate from the regular place voting so that they know that is where they can vote for their favorite character and maybe try to vote for based on quality for the rest of the places. To make it fairer, maybe don't give banners or something for that designation.

Sometimes this is done as the challenge runner's favorite or going more places out in regular voting; at least that is what I personally do.

It could be something to try, but to test in only one or two challenges wouldn't be a very good cross section. But if all the runners wanted to do a variation and then report the findings for the experiment perhaps a compromise can be reached.

As for not giving banners for that might not bode well, since there would be a winner. To take away the option of having a banner made or not wouldn't be fair to the ones who could obtain one for regular voting. Why enter something if the winner cannot display a banner proclaiming their achievement.

I think having another category for "icon you would personally use" would be nice, but I do think a win banner should be offered for that category. And/or maybe we could do "most creative", "best text", "best color", "best crop", things like that. that would raise the number of winners and may in turn raise the number of particpants. We wouldn't necessarily need all of those categories we could just add one of them or just a couple. :)

I think having another category for "icon you would personally use" would be nice, but I do think a win banner should be offered for that category. And/or maybe we could do "most creative", "best text", "best color", "best crop", things like that. that would raise the number of winners and may in turn raise the number of particpants. We wouldn't necessarily need all of those categories we could just add one of them or just a couple. :)

Some of the challenges do sometimes use the ideas of 'best colour', 'best text' etc and sometimes that is the theme so an extra vote is not needed. Also it does take time to add up the scores so therefore many catagorys may not be the best idea for challenge runners, if that makes sense. However, I do really like the idea of 'Icon I would use' but after a few tests it may seem the same icons win anyway.

Personally, I think the 'Icon I'd use' idea is good, I think it'd work out! But, with the winner banner, why not? The winner is the winner, it wouldn't be fair. And that can, maybe, improve a little the voting 'cause then you can choose your fave characters' icon. I think it could be done, and let's see :)

I don't think I quite understand what you are saying. What do you want to tack on to the don't vote for self/tell others to vote for you rules?

What I mean is adding a rule to the standard voting list that says to vote based on quality rather than based on one's favorite character.

So,

(voting rules copied from Dragonfly's last Wallpaper challenge):

Voting Rules:
1] Don't vote for yourself. It's tacky. Also, don't tell anyone which one is yours, or that they should vote for them.
2] Vote for three in each category. Vote for your favorite first, then second favorite, then third. It is very important that you do it this way.
3] If you entered, please vote. Don't be worried about voting agianst yourself, everyone else is!
4] Please be sure to look at ALL of them before choosing! Click the thumbnails to enlarge the images.
5] Voting will close on Monday, July 13th, so please get your votes in before then!

I think adding a sixth rule would be good -->

6] Please vote based on overall icon/wallpaper/banner quality, rather than based on which character(s) are used.

Read and understood :) Personally, I don't vote for icons because I like the character. I vote for them because I like the colouring, or the text. Something along those lines. If I think it is the best made icon, I vote for it. Of course, not everyone agrees with my decision, but that's fine :) It's personal opinion. Either way, I do believe that an extra category like most creative etc. is a good idea :D

What I mean is adding a rule to the standard voting list that says to vote based on quality rather than based on one's favorite character.

So,

(voting rules copied from Dragonfly's last Wallpaper challenge):

Voting Rules:
1] Don't vote for yourself. It's tacky. Also, don't tell anyone which one is yours, or that they should vote for them.
2] Vote for three in each category. Vote for your favorite first, then second favorite, then third. It is very important that you do it this way.
3] If you entered, please vote. Don't be worried about voting agianst yourself, everyone else is!
4] Please be sure to look at ALL of them before choosing! Click the thumbnails to enlarge the images.
5] Voting will close on Monday, July 13th, so please get your votes in before then!

I think adding a sixth rule would be good -->

6] Please vote based on overall icon/wallpaper/banner quality, rather than based on which character(s) are used.

I see what you mean now.

The point has always been to vote for the one that the poster feels is the best. But there is always a few that have to ruin the fun for others; example: voting solely based on characters instead of the overall feel.

Honestly even with giving other chances at different options won't stop people from voting based on character, as I stated earlier there is always a loop hole.

The different options are a grand idea, but are all the runners willing to give these a test run and see what happens. Personally I would give it a try but it would also mean more counting and extra work on my end; double edged sword as it be.

I see what you mean now.

The point has always been to vote for the one that the poster feels is the best. But there is always a few that have to ruin the fun for others; example: voting solely based on characters instead of the overall feel.

Honestly even with giving other chances at different options won't stop people from voting based on character, as I stated earlier there is always a loop hole.

The different options are a grand idea, but are all the runners willing to give these a test run and see what happens. Personally I would give it a try but it would also mean more counting and extra work on my end; double edged sword as it be.

That's why I like the idea of just adding a rule. It wouldn't really create much extra work and it wouldn't need to be tested, per say. It's already an expectation, but spelling it out to remind people might help, to a degree. Other than that, I'm guessing it wouldn't seem very fair for challenge runners to just disregard votes that are clearly violating this rule?

I see what you mean now.

That's why I like the idea of just adding a rule. It wouldn't really create much extra work and it wouldn't need to be tested, per say. It's already an expectation, but spelling it out to remind people might help, to a degree. Other than that, I'm guessing it wouldn't seem very fair for challenge runners to just disregard votes that are clearly violating this rule?

Challenge runners have no idea what people are thinking when they vote, they could be voting for overall with the same character for example. Nowhere did I say that this is a condoned behavior, I pointed out that people will vote they way they want to, regardless of an addition of a rule to look at over all quality. Not all who vote read the rules, as some do not always follow the voting guide that runners post with the art work to vote on.

To clarify by different options I mean best text, crop, coloring etc.

Last edited:
Read and understood :) Personally, I don't vote for icons because I like the character. I vote for them because I like the colouring, or the text. Something along those lines. If I think it is the best made icon, I vote for it. Of course, not everyone agrees with my decision, but that's fine :) It's personal opinion. Either way, I do believe that an extra category like most creative etc. is a good idea :D

Exactly, that's what I do, I look to the queslity of the icon and I vote. I don't care if it is a character of Miami, NY or LV. Sometimes I give a look to all the icons and in 3secs I already know which ones to vote 'cause there are some that can distinct from others :)

I see what you mean now.

I totally agree with this rule :thumbsup:
OFC, if it'll have another category it'll be more work for challenge runners, i totally agree, but I think it's worth it (maybe not, I don't have experience, so :alienblush:).
But if any challenge runner need extra help with counting, I'm here ;)

Back