Untitled (I can't come up with a name)

Oh no. Don't make it too sad. I hope everything works out because this is a good story

Disclaimer: I own nothing.

Traffic was miserable. There were a few times that it even stopped. After a few minutes of driving, during which Lindsay tried to hide her tears from Stella, Stella started, “Okay, Lindsay, you’re going to tell me what’s up, and I’m not accepting nothing or I don’t want to talk about it for an answer.”

Lindsay looked away from Stella. “Stell, I’m… I’m… I’m pregnant.”

“But you’re not happy.”

“It was an accident. I don’t think I can face it again.”

“Again? Okay Linds, tell me.”

Amidst lots of tears, Lindsay told Stella about her previous pregnancy and abortion. “My parents never knew. They were totally clueless. Maybe I’m just stupid, making the same mistake twice.”

Since they were in stopped traffic, Stella looked over at Lindsay. “Lindsay, look at me,” she said, waiting until Lindsay had turned, “You are most certainly not stupid. Don’t ever say anything like that again.” Lindsay nodded and turned back away. “And I can’t make the decision for you, but it seems that maybe your contemplating it again. I can’t help with your personal ethics, but I sometimes think aborting the fetus is better than putting it up for adoption and it just getting in the system, or always regretting having the child. Enough unwanted kids in this world.”

If Lindsay hadn’t been so wrapped up in her problems, she’d of noticed Stella’s sadness at the last statement. “There’s more.” Stella was silent. “They performed an amniocentesis, and the results indicate that it’s very likely that I’ll miscarry anyway, and even if I do, there’s about no chance that it will be normal.”

“Whoa, I’m sorry Lindsay. Do they know why?”

“They didn’t say. I guess just one of the random genetic abnormalities we all learned about in genetics. Have you talked with Danny?”

“He knows I’m pregnant, but not yet about the other. I haven’t seen him since I found out.” Lindsay’s tears had started to slow down. “Well, I guess we’re here.”

Stella slowed down and pulled over. “Well, remember Lindsay, ultimately it’s your decision, and no one can make it for you. Talk it over with Danny. And I can’t make the decision for you, but if you want to talk, just call, okay?” Stella gave Lindsay a quick hug.

“Thanks, Stella. I’ll see you tomorrow.”

That was a good heart to heart post. Stella can be so comforting.

Here's an update. I tried to write Danny's reaction to the news, but even after 4 tries, I couldn't get it to work, so I finally gave up, and went on with the story.

Warning: Some of the decisions may be tough ethically for some.

It was two weeks later, and Lindsay had talked with Danny multiple times, Hawkes, and even Flack. They had performed a couple of tests on Lindsay, and she had told them her decision, but before going any further, they made her talk with Bethany, one of the clinic’s nurses.
----
“I just can’t put someone through life like that.”

“Yourself, or the child?”

Lindsay thought for a moment, and finally said, a bit ashamed, “Both. I guess it makes me selfish that I don’t want to have to possibly put myself through it.”

“That’s understandable. But do you believe in miracles?”

Not believing it the therapist would even ask such a question, Lindsay replied, “No way.”

“Even though it’s probably a miracle that you’ve not already miscarried?”

“Or just bad luck.”

“You do realize that this is completely irreversible. You’re not going to be able to change your mind once you go through with it.”

“I know. And I’ve thought about it a lot in the past couple of weeks, even at work. My boss has yelled at me multiple times because I’ve been staring off into space, thinking, rather than working. And I don’t think I’m ready to be a parent.”

“Well, I don’t think anyone really is. One last question. The father: have you talked with him about this at all, at least if you can?”

‘Yeah, we’ve talked multiple times. We’re not married or anything, just been dating for a few months. He said whatever I decide that he’ll support me 100%, but it’s my decision. That if we break up, we both knew I’d probably be the one stuck with it, as well.”

“Well, it looks like you’ve thought through it, so I’ll give the approval. But remember that if you need to talk afterwards, just make an appointment.”

Lindsay had the surgery the next day. Mac ordered Lindsay to take two weeks off to recover, even though she argued against it, and gave Danny two days off and a reduced workload for a week so he could help Lindsay if necessary.

Please read and review. You were warned.

A bit of explanation: I don't want to make a blanket statement about this. However, if the biological parents do not take care of the child (and I have seen this), the kids wind up living a horrible life, because no one will adopt with the problems. Or the state won't step in when they should. I do sometimes think that being aborted would be the lesser of the two evils. I don't think abortion should ever be done lightly, though.

It was five days after the abortion, and except for cramps and bleeding, Lindsay seemed to be doing okay. Danny was back at work, but called her every few hours to make sure she was okay. The previous day, Lindsay had begged Mac let her come back to work.

”Please, Mac,” Lindsay whined. “I’m bored sitting here in the apartment. I can come back to work.”

“Lindsay Monroe,” Mac replied, somewhat amused, “You can’t honestly be wanting to come back to paperwork, because that’s all you’re going to be cleared to do for at least the next six weeks. But whether you are or not, the answer is no. You need to make sure you take of yourself in the next couple of weeks.”

“Fine, but I don’t like it.”

And right now, Lindsay liked it even less. Because if she was maybe she wouldn’t be thinking about the irreversible decision she’d made five days ago. She had thought it was the right decision, and still somewhat did, but couldn’t help think about it, crying. She supposed it was just hormones, they had warned her about it, but it kept running through her mind that maybe she’d made the wrong decision. She eventually exhausted herself and fell asleep on the couch.

Danny came in happy. They had just solved a case, and he had gotten Chinese take out to celebrate with Lindsay. He called out “Montana, I’m here.” When she didn’t respond he got worried and went looking for her.

He finally found her on the couch, with a red face. Lindsay was crying in her sleep. Danny dropped the food on the coffee table, and shook Lindsay by the shoulder. “Lindsay, come on, wake up.” Lindsay didn’t respond. “Lindsay, wake up.:

Lindsay groaned as her eyes opened. “Where am I?”

Danny reached up to wipe some of the tears away from her face. “You must have fallen asleep on the couch. And you’ve been crying. Are you in pain? Do you need some of your painkillers?”

“No, it doesn’t hurt that way.”

“So what’s wrong? Come on, talk to me.”

“Please don’t… Danny, please,” Lindsay said tearfully.

“All right, we’re going to compromise. We’ll eat, I got Chinese, your favorite. Then we’re going to talk.”
---
“Okay Linds, what’s up?” Neither said anything for a minute, but tears started rolling down her cheeks again. “You said you’re not in physical pain, but is it pain here and here?” he asked, pointing to her forehead and heart.

Lindsay nodded, crying a little harder, but still not saying anything.

“Is it about the abortion?” Lindsay nodded again, still not saying anything. “You know, Montana, I’d prefer not to have to interrogate you like a suspect, but if I have to, I will.”

It slipped out before Lindsay could stop it. “You must think I’m a horrible person.”

Danny pulled a sobbing Lindsay into his arms. “Why would I?”

“Because I took the easy way out by having the abortion.”

“Lindsay, you didn’t take the easy way out. You agonized over the decision. I told you I’d support you no matter what you decided, and I meant it.”

“But I made the decision to not allow someone to be born into the world.”

“But there was a huge chance that you wouldn’t have carried it to full term anyway.”

“I’ll never know though.”

“However, you also won’t have to worry about regretting the child. I could tell you didn’t want a child with severe defects.” Lindsay started to interrupt, but Danny continued, “And don’t start with saying you could have given it up for adoption. A child like that is going to wind up in the system for the rest of it’s life, because no one wants someone like that. And just ask Stella about the system.”

“I know.” Lindsay had stopped crying.

Danny put a bit of distance between them so he could look her in the eye. “If you can honestly tell me that you wouldn’t have regretted the mistake of getting pregnant…”

Lindsay looked down before responding, “I think I would I have.”

“Well then, I think you probably made the right decision. Why’d this happen today?”

“I don’t know, I guess hormones. And there was a commercial on TV on how abortion kills, on how we should be pro-life, and I guess it got to me a little bit.”

“I’d say you are pro-life. You help put away murderers so fewer people will get killed. You want to help others. Pro-life isn’t just about the unborn fetuses, but also about the people who are already alive, and helping them to live their lives. Sometimes people forget about that.”

“When am I going to feel better about this?”

“I think you already are. But this is why Mac gave you so much time off, to make sure you would have time to deal with everything.”

“Will you stay tonight, just in case something happens again?”

“Sure. Have any movies?” Lindsay pointed to the shelf, and Danny walked over. “How about Monster in Law?”

“You, Messer?”

“Sure, it’s funny. Are your parents like the mother?”

“My dad is. Let’s go pop some popcorn.”

A few minutes later, Danny and Lindsay plopped down on the couch, with their popcorn, to begin the movie.

Please review! Only one more chapter to go.

last time ive read your chapter about Danny and i found it really good but i completely forgot to leave a review :lol: sorry ;)

You know i'm not a D/L shipper but i really enjoyed your story and i agree with you about the abortion...

Keep writing!!

Sissi

This is the last chapter.

Lindsay’s two weeks were up, and she had been cleared to go back to work, but only for desk duty. She was mostly anxious to get back to work, afraid of what some of her coworkers would think of her.
---
Stella had come by on her day off to visit Lindsay. They hadn’t seen each other in over a week and Stella had just wanted to check on her. They spent a while chatting, before Lindsay suddenly asked, quietly, “Do you think any less of me?”

“Why would I?”

“Because of the accidental pregnancy and then my decision to have an abortion.”

“Of course I don’t.” Stella moved a bit closer to Lindsay and grabbed Lindsay’s hand. “Now, I want you to look at me while I say this, because I want to make sure you understand. I think almost everyone has made the mistakes that could possibly lead them to being pregnant. You just had the bad luck that it happened. And if you honestly didn’t want the child, which I obviously can’t answer for you, you made the right decision not to have it and put it up for adoption. Those stupid pro-life people have never seen the insides of orphanages, which are full of people whose parents and know one else wanted them. I know, and no one should have to grow up in it.”

“Thanks.” Stella pulled Lindsay into a hug, before they continued chatting.

Lindsay had also talked with Hawkes and Flack, and they had basically said the same thing. Danny had given his support multiple times. But she was worried about what Mac thought.

So she got to work a little early so she could talk to Mac for a bit before starting. She headed to Mac’s office. Knocking on his door, she asked, “Mac, do you have a minute? Can we talk?”

Mac knew what she wanted to talk about. “Sure, come in.”

Lindsay had a hard time bringing her real issue, so she said, “Thanks for giving me the time off. I needed it.”

“No need to thank me. I just did what was best for you and the team.” Mac was simply waiting for Lindsay to bring up her real question.

“Umm.. Mac, do you think any less of me, because of … you know.” Lindsay looked down, embarrassed.

“No, I don’t. You simply made a mistake, and it had some consequences. And people, including me, have made these mistakes before. As far as the abortion goes, if you think you made the right decision, I don’t think I can pass any judgment on you. And before you ask about Danny, I don’t think any less of him either. In fact, I’m proud of him sticking by you like he has.”

“Thanks.” Lindsay looked back down.

“I’m a bit disappointed that you felt you couldn’t come to me with your relationship.”

“Sorry, but we were just figuring it out, we hadn’t been together that long. We didn’t want to say anything in case it didn’t work out.”

“I can understand a little better. And as far as that goes, as long as you keep it out of the office, I don’t care, or even want to know what goes on when your off duty.”

“Thanks. Oh, and the doctor said I’d probably be okay to work in the field in about a month. I’ll have another appointment before then.”

“Just keep me updated on it, because I’ll need to know for duty rosters. Now get to work. You’ve got a huge stack of paperwork to do.” Mac smiled.
---
Later that day

“Hey, Montana, how’s the paperwork going?” Danny asked, coming into their shared office.

“Boring, as usual.”

“I heard that you talked to Mac. Did he say anything about us?”

“That we have to keep it out of the lab. But we can still see each other.”

“Good. Because what I learned through all this is that I really care for you, and I can stick by you no matter what.”

Please review!

aww my pizzapie, you ended that so lovely!... And I can't believe your done with it! *cries* Hope to see you writing another one soon!

Back