Untitled (I can't come up with a name)

Discussion in 'Fan Fiction' started by pizzapie, Jul 3, 2006.

1. pizzapie

pizzapie Pathologist

Rating: PG or PG-13. Probably closer to PG-13, but because it’s going to be hitting some tough ethics questions later. Much angst.
    Pairing: DL
    Disclaimer: I own nothing.

It was four in the morning when Lindsay unwound herself from Danny and headed to the bathroom, grabbing her purse along the way. Once in the bathroom, she pulled out the pregnancy test that she’d finally gotten up the nerve to purchase a week ago, but never had the nerve to use until now. She’d already been nearly three weeks late, and she was surprised Danny hadn’t begun suspecting something by now. She’d been getting sick in the mornings as well, but didn’t want to face the possibility. She followed the directions in the kit, and shortly after, had her answer: she was pregnant.

Lindsay allowed herself to collapse on the floor and cry. I can’t believe it. What’s Danny going to say? He probably doesn’t want it. I’m not even sure if I want it. We’re not even married yet. And everyone in the lab, they’re going to think I’m a horrible person. I just can’t believe it. I don’t want to have to face the decision again. Well, maybe, maybe this is wrong, they’re not always right. I need to get it checked with the doctor. I’ll call and make and appointment. On that note, Lindsay got up and went back to bed.
    ----
    “Mac, can I talk to you for a minute?” Lindsay asked, knocking on Mac’s office door that afternoon.

“Come in. What’s up?”

Lindsay had her head down. “I hate to ask, but could I have tomorrow morning off? I have a doctor’s appointment.”

“How long have you known about this appointment? Because if it was just a routine appointment, you should have let me know weeks ago.”

“No, I just made it today. It.. It was sudden.”

“Is there anything you need to talk about? Something happen at a crime scene?”

“No..It’s.. I just need to go.” Lindsay’s voice had taken on a bit of a whiney tone.

Mac knew there was something she wasn’t telling him. “Lindsay, look at me,” he said, and waited until she looked up before continuing, “You can have the time off, you have the sick leave. But know that if you need to talk about something, you can always talk with me, or with Stella, or with anyone on the team.”

Lindsay looked back down. “Thanks. I’m going to get back to my case now.”

Mac was worried. What was Lindsay not telling him?
    ----
    The next morning, Mac searched for Danny. Mac found him running fingerprints through AFIS. “How’s your case going?”

“It’s not. There were two sets of prints. One was the vics, and I thought the second was probably the killer’s, but it hasn’t turned up anything yet.”

“Can I talk to you in my office for a minute?” Mac noticed a bit of fear on Danny’s face so he continued, “Don’t worry, you’re not in trouble. I just wanted to ask you something, and I’d prefer not to do it here.”

“Okay.” They waked down the hall to Mac’s office. After shutting the door, Danny asked, “What’s up?”

“It’s about Lindsay. She suddenly asked for time off to go to the doctor, but she wouldn’t say why. I was wondering if you might have any idea.”

“I was wondering why she was gone this morning, but I have no clue.” He honestly wasn’t sure, but tried to give Mac the impression that they were just coworkers.

“Come on, Danny, quite the BS. You may have thought you were hiding it, but I’ve known that you’re going out for a while, and I’d say you’re already sleeping together.”

“Mac..” Mac just looked at Danny. “We were just afraid of what you’d say.”

“Danny, you apparently don’t know me. As long as you keep it professional at work, which you certainly have, I don’t care what you do on your own time. And unofficially, I’m happy for you. A little disappointed that you felt you couldn’t trust me.”

“Sorry, Mac.”

“It’s okay.”

“About Lindsay… I’m not sure what’s up. She’s thrown up in the bathroom every morning for the past couple of weeks, but she’s always lied about it. I’ve woken up hearing her throwing up. And this morning, I got up, and she wasn’t in bed with me, so I went looking for her and heard her crying through the bathroom door.”

“Do you think…” Danny looked confused. “Do you think she’s pregnant?”

Danny gasped. “I hadn’t thought… The thought kind of scares me. I mean, I’d never be able to take care of a child.”

“Don’t sell yourself short.” Mac smiled. “Danny, I hate to tell you this, but if she doesn’t say something soon, you need to confront her about it. Whether she’s pregnant or not, she needs to take care of herself. Go ahead and get back to your case now.”

“Hopefully I’ll have gotten a hit on that fingerprint.” Right before Danny left, he turned and said, “Thanks.”
    ---
    That afternoon, Mac went looking for Lindsay. He admitted he did want to check up on her, but he also needed her reports from the case they had just finished yesterday. He found her in her office, writing. He knocked and asked, “Got a minute?”

She looked up and groaned. “Sure.”

He came in and perched on her desk. “How’s the report coming?”

“It’s almost done.”

”Well, just put it on my desk when it is.” She nodded. “Um..Lindsay, how was your doctor’s appointment?”

“Mac, it’s none of your business,” she exclaimed.

Mac fixed her with a look before speaking. “Lindsay Monroe, if it was necessary enough for you to take off work to go, it is my business. I need to know if it’s going to affect you at work.” If his suspicions were right it would.

“I’m sorry. And.. I’ll tell you, but I need to tell someone else first. Is that okay?”

“All right, but first thing tomorrow morning we will talk.”

Please read and review!

2. MacsGirlMel

MacsGirlMel Mac's Personal Assistant

More! More! *waves pitchfork* I need more, fast :)

3. CathStokes

CathStokes Head of the Day Shift

ooh your going angsty! I love you! .. :D Update soon, this is really good :p

4. CSI_Watcher_8

CSI_Watcher_8 Coroner

Interesting! ;)

5. Smiliee

Smiliee Coroner

I like it! Please continue.

6. pizzapie

pizzapie Pathologist

I own nothing

Lindsay was quiet all the way through dinner. Danny tried to engage her in conversation, but she responded with one or two words, and he didn’t want to confront her about anything unless she was talking. After they had both eaten, she finally spoke, “Danny, I need to tell you something.”

“Okay, go on.”

“I went to the doctor today.”

“Mac mentioned it.”

“What? What did you tell him?”

“Whoa, Montana, he was worried about you. So am I. You know, I’ve heard you throwing up in the mornings for the past couple of weeks.” She looked down. “And this morning, I heard you crying in the bathroom.”

She interrupted, and said accusingly, “You told him we’ve been sleeping together?”

“He figured it out. We’ve apparently been doing a horrible job at keeping it secret. But this is about you, what’s wrong?”

“I’m… I’m…” Lindsay started crying and couldn’t continue.

“You’re pregnant,” Danny stated rather than asked.

“How did you know?”

“Well, when I told Mac what I’d heard, he kind of suspected it.”

“You’re not angry?”

“Well, I was a bit surprised and worried, but I’m kind of warming up to the idea. I didn’t think of myself as the father type, but even though it was an accident, I think it’s still a miracle.”

“There’s always another option.” Danny looked at Lindsay quizzically. “Abortion.” She started crying harder.

Danny got up and walked over to Lindsay. “Are you sure? Do you think you could live with yourself if you did?”

“Well, I already have.”

“Huh? What?”

Lindsay began crying even harder, and it was hard for Danny to hear her through her sobs. “I got pregnant once in high school. We hadn’t used a condom, we were stupid. I went behind my parents back to get an abortion. They’d have probably disowned me if they ever found out. I don’t know if I can face this again.”

Danny pulled Lindsay into a tight hug. “I don’t think you really want to abort it. You wouldn’t have started crying harder when you talked about it if you did.”

Lindsay nodded against his shoulder. “I just don’t know.”

Please review!

7. Radical618

Radical618 Coroner

holy cow.. the angst the angst! this is great! please continue!

8. screamingpoet

screamingpoet CSI Level One

That's so sad. I really like this. The way I see it, Lindsay's contemplating an abortion because she thinks Danny doesn't want the kid -- and if she has the kid, he won't want her. Stupid girl, he loves you. *scolds*

Much love to the fic, though.

9. CSI_Watcher_8

CSI_Watcher_8 Coroner

I think its the first time I've read a story like this. Good job! keep up the good work. ;)

10. MacsGirlMel

MacsGirlMel Mac's Personal Assistant

Update fast, please???? * pleading puppy dog eyes*

11. Guest

Guest Guest

This is cool. Update soon but don't rattle on into nothingness.

12. Wyoming

Wyoming Head of the Graveyard Shift

oh wow, awesome storyline

13. pizzapie

pizzapie Pathologist

Disclaimer: I own nothing

Lindsay picked up her phone. “Monroe.”

“Miss Monroe, this is Dr. Jones’ office. We’re calling with regards to the amniocentesis we performed yesterday.”

“Everything all right?”

“Umm, no. The results indicate that your child is very likely to be born with birth defects, if you can even carry it to full term.”

“How likely? What is it?”

“It’s a trisomy on one of the chromosomes. Only one out of 5000 with it are born without birth defects” Lindsay gasped. “You’re also very likely to miscarry, as much as a 90% chance. And the number of cells we detected in yours is about 10 times the number of what they were in known cases. I just wanted to let you know all your options.”

“You mean abortion.”

“Basically. The doctor also wants to move your appointment up two weeks, same time. Is that okay?”

Lindsay sounded robotic. “Yeah. Bye.”

Fortunately, Lindsay had been in her office sitting when she received the call, or she probably would have collapsed. She couldn’t believe it. Although she still didn’t particularly want it, hearing that she was likely not to was still upsetting. She tried to concentrate on the paperwork but more often found herself staring off into space, tears falling down her cheeks at times.

This was how Mac found her, almost an hour later. “You know, Monroe,” he said, interrupting her thoughts, “I don’t pay you to stare off into space.” If Lindsay hadn’t been so worried she would have noticed the smile on his face. When Lindsay didn’t say anything back he became a little worried. “Everything okay?” he asked, as Stella walked up.

It slipped out before Lindsay could stop it. “No, but please don’t make me talk about it.” She looked away as more tears fell down her cheeks, which Mac and Stella did not fail to notice.

“I think you do need to talk, but I’m not going to make you right now,” Mac said gently. “But I am sending you home for the rest of the day.” It was nearly the end of Lindsay’s shift anyway.

“I’ll take you home Lindsay. I’m on my way to process an apartment anyway, and I’ll have to go by yours on my way,” Stella said, confused.

Sniffling, Lindsay replied, “All right. Let me go get my stuff.”

“Meet me outside the break room,” Stella said. Lindsay nodded and left. Once she had gone, Stella looked at Mac and asked, sounding concerned, “What’s wrong with her?”

“I’ll let her tell you herself.”

Please review! It may speed up the updating process.

14. CSI_Watcher_8

CSI_Watcher_8 Coroner

Didn't see that coming! Don't make it to sad for to long. I want a happy DL sooner or later.

15. Radical618

Radical618 Coroner

Wow. didn't see that... that is angsty... wow. I feel really bad for DL right now.. :(