Undercover

Alex’s note: Sorry it took so long. School’s back up. And for those of you reading my other stories you should probably be warned that I won’t update them until I finish this story. Thanks for waiting

Chapter 3

“Danny do you mind?!” Lindsay had been strapping the bullet-proof vest over her bra when Danny stormed in. She was embarrassed to say the least.
Danny got a little sidetracked at the sight of Lindsay in her bra. Not a good time, he warned himself as he felt the slightest pressure on his zipper. He tried to gather the words he’d carefully planned a few minutes ago. “What?” Lindsay asked, annoyed. “Did you burst in here so you can watch me change or do you have something to say?”
Her question reminded him why he came. “Yeah,” he said. “Yeah, I do have something to say.” He took a deep breath. “Don’t do this, Montana.” She blew out an irritated sigh.
“We went over this yesterday.”
“I know. You’re as tough as me. Tougher, alright? Is that what you want to hear? If they catch you, you probably won’t be coming back.” He thought of everything that had happened lately. Louie beaten to a pulp, Stelle beaten and nearly killed, Aiden murdered, Flack caught in an explosion. If something went wrong this night, the night of Lindsay’s undercover job, it would be enough to break him again, reliving the nightmare of each.
“Yeah well,” she mumbled, grabbing her shirt. “I have to.” She did. For Gayle and Kelly.
And for Mark.
“What do you mean you have to?” Lindsay looked up, surprised to meet his questioning eyes. That was definitely something she hadn’t meant to say. And yet if she ever wanted to tell anyone about Mark, it was Danny. But not now.
“Nothing,” she answered brusquely, looking away from him and putting her shirt on. “Just that someone has to do it, and it would be a little more difficult for you to pass as Gayle Phillips.” She looked back at him, her eyes now emotionless and down-to-business. “Angel and a few uniforms are going to park around the block incase something goes wrong. Are you coming or not?”
---
He rode with Angell and Lindsay. He wasn’t going to stay at the lab and do nothing. They reached the place where the cares were supposed to wait and Lindsay got out. “Be careful, Monroe,” Angell warned. Lindsay nodded and shut the door, leaving Danny shooting death glares at the new young detective.
“Oh give me a break,” Angell said looking at him through the rearview mirror. “This was her choice; I didn’t make her do it.”
“No, but you didn’t try to stop her either,” he snapped.
“Why should I? Lindsay’s a big girl. She can do what she wants.”
“You think I don’t know that?!” His voice rose angrily.
So did hers. “No I don’t think you do. If you do, maybe you should start acting like it because she doesn’t think you do either!”
“When did she say that?” he asked after a pause. He should have known if she wouldn’t say it to him, she’d have a girl talk about it.
“She says it all the time. You keep underestimating her and she’s sick of having to prove herself to you.”
“Montana thinks she has to prove herself to me?”
“Yeah, well who wouldn’t in her shoes?” The argument was paused as a male voice came over the receiver.
“Did you bring the money?”
Then came Lindsay’s voice. “It’s right here. Where’s Kelly?”
”See?” Angell said. “She’s doing fine. She actually sounds frantic.”
“Yeah, so would you,” Danny sniped.
---
“It’s right here,” she said, dropping the suitcase on the floor of the mobile home. She didn’t have to try very hard to sound scared. She’d only been this worried once before. When she lived in Montana. She pushed back the painful memory and played the part. “Where’s Kelly?”
“Easy now,” the man said, but it didn’t sound as soothing from a masked kidnapper. “You haven’t been talking to the cops, have you?”
She shook her head fiercely. “No.” Her wire irritated her skin and she fought the urge to yank it out. He looked a little skeptical through his mask, but let it slide. She tried to speed things up before he could doubt anything else. “Look, I brought the money. Now I want to see my friend.”
He laughed and shook his head. “Good to know you haven’t changed.”
“Who are you?” she asked, hoping to get more on the connection between him and Gayle Phillips…and the vic of course.
“No one important,” he shrugged. He walked closer to her, and slipped an arm around her. His touch made her shiver. “You look good, Gayle.” She tried to squirm out of his grip, but he tightened it.
“Where’s Kelly?” she asked, her voice shaking.
“She’s fine,” he assured her. “No need to hurry.” His hand slid up to her chest and she drew a sharp intake of breath. The man was a sick kidnapper, possibly murderer and he had his hand on her chest. Then suddenly it stopped over something. Her bullet-proof jacket
“You’re a cop!” He exclaimed. “You bitch! You’re a freaking cop!” He pulled back her arm and she cried out in pain as she heard the sickening crack.
---
The cry was heard over Danny and Angell’s argument. They stopped short. “Sonofabitch!” was the first explanation from Danny. Angell hastily signaled the uniforms as she drove as fast as she could to the address. But when they got there, it was too late. All that was there was an empty lot and tire marks from the mobile home. And no Lindsay.

Dedicated to: Chili-peppers for being the nicest, most constant reviewer. And to anyone who joined my website. I’ve got a new one for any of you roleplaying lovers. http://z6.invisionfree.com/CSI_Chicago. Check it out!

You better update soon or I'll introduce you to my pitchfork! :) And I thought they said Stella hadn't been raped, just beat up by Frankie. Guess it doesn't hurt to change it for fic purposes though...

no, I'll fix it. Thanks. And sorry it's taking so long. I've been so busy with school.

YES! im soo glad you updated this. This is a briliant story so far!I hope Lindsay is going to be ok i think Danny is going to kill Angell lol.I sooo cant wait for more! And thank you so much for the dedication!

Thanx. Yeah, he doesn't like Angell too much. I'm just worried I'll go too overboard with their arguing and then people will think I'm trying to pull a Darcy/Elizabeth relationship(which I love but Danny goes with Lindsay only in my mind) with them and create a triangle. But then one would expect tension like that at a time like this. And now that Linds is in trouble, it'll probably get worse before it gets better.
I say probably because I'm so making this up as I go. I did that with Next Time too, it's so sloppy

Back